Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

No one could feel the unfamiliar presence throughout the night, which was a good thing. Signe slept with Amethyst in her room, and neither Jack or I could hear any sign of distress.

The two of us woke up early the next morning, finding Jess and Patton already getting a head-start on breakfast. Jess noticed us and grinned, setting her spatula down. "Good morning, you two! How're you feeling, after everything last night?"

"Fine." Jack answered, taking a seat at the island. "Why do you ask?"

"Well... you did lose your daughter last night." She turned her attention to the biscuits in the oven. "I think that's a good enough reason to ask."

I had to force myself to hold back my laughter. "Yeah, I guess I forgot about that."

Jack smacked my arm. "We're... getting over it. What's done is done, and nothing will change it."

Patton turned around, a questioning look on his face. "But Roman told me Amethyst was-"

"She was still alive, for a short while." I quickly spoke, shooting Patton a look. "We got to the waterfall, and she was dead."

Patton widened his eyes. "Oh, I get it! You don't want anyone to know that she's-"

"Can we not talk about it right now?" Jack asked, his head in his arms. His body heaved, and I heard a muffled giggle.

"Yeah, of course, Jack."

We heard footsteps, and I turned to see Remy and Suzy walk in. Suzy smiled. "Good morning, guys. Ooh, it smells delicious in here, like always."

"Thanks, Suz!" Jess exclaimed.

Patton grinned, waving at Remy. "Hi, Remington!" Remy didn't answer, instead sitting next to Jack and staring at his hands. Patton's smile and hand fell. "Right. Silent treatment. I forgot."

I looked down at Remy. "Really?"

He glanced up at me. "Not now, Dad."

"Fine. Later."

Slowly, the kitchen began to fill with people, until all but two were awake. We all ate breakfast together, before getting started on the morning meeting.

Suzy spoke up, first. "I'd just like to speak on last night's events." She looked at Jack and I. "Mark, Jack, and Remington, I'm really sorry for what we all had to put you through." Everyone muttered for a second, agreeing with her. "I sent Arin out on business as a punishment, he'll be gone at least for the rest of the week. You can chew him out when he gets back, although I'm sure he'll be sorry enough."

"I think we should give Amethyst a proper send-off." Molly spoke up. "I know she's a siren, and usually they're just dropped in the nearest body of water, but she's also one of us. She deserves the same treatment as all of us."

Suzy glanced at Jack and I. "If that's okay with you..?"

I bit my cheeks, trying not to tell the truth of what happened. Jack spoke up for the both of us. "I'm pretty sure it's too late now. But we can still hold the normal ceremony."

"All in favor?" Everyone raised their hand. "All oppose?" Everyone dropped their hand. "Alright. We can start planning later. Now, Wade, anything new?"

"Signe's scent is still lingering in the area." Wade spoke up. "I think she's still around somewhere, possibly in mourning."

"I say we find her and kill her." Max said through clenched teeth."

"No." Suzy immediately shot it down. "We've had enough violence from killing one of our own. No more. If we ever find Signe again, we're going to show her mercy. It's what Amethyst would want."

Max was silent for a moment, then fell back against his seat. "Okay. Fine."

"Does anyone else have anything to report?" No one spoke up, and Suzy clapped her hands. "Then that does it for today-"

Suddenly, we heard footsteps and laughter coming from the stairs. Jack closed his eyes for a brief moment before opening them again and turning. "Not now-"

Everyone turned their head to the stairs, watching as Signe and Amethyst stepped down, giggling. "Yeah, his face was red for like an hour- he was really angry." Amethyst said through giggles.

Max stood up straight, glaring at Signe. "Why's she still here?"

Signe and Amethyst turned to everyone, their smiles falling immediately. "Oh, no-"

"And who's that?" Danny asked, gesturing to Amethyst.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro