Tell me where, did I go wrong
Everyone I loved, they're all gone
I'd do everything so differently but I can't turn back the time
There's no shelter from the storm inside of me
There's no way out of this dark place
No hope, no future
I know I can't be free and I can't see another way
I can't face another day

Sweden, Denmark, and Norway stood next to each other as Edmund Bourke and Gustaf af Wetterstedt discussed terms of the Dano-Swedish portion of the Treaty of Kiel. Denmark gripped Norway's arm tightly and tried not to look Sweden in the eye. They had fought against each other for the past 12 years, 6 months and 2 days, resurfacing painful memories. Denmark hoped this treaty would help them put their pasts behind them, if only slightly. The Danish King had already agreed to join the alliance against Napoleonic France, with part of his army being under Swedish command.

"If you give us the Kingdom of Norway as your King said, Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands will be exempted from it." Denmark's head shot up and he gaped at Wetterstedt. This couldn't be happening...His grip on Norway's arm shifted down so he was gripping Norway's hand tightly. He could feel Norway trembling under his grip as he intertwined their fingers. Sweden's blank expression shifted slightly into confusion, then horror, and then anger. He said nothing though, continuing to watch the two men discuss the treaty.

"These terms are acceptable. And Swedish Pomerania will be handed over to Denmark, yes? Swedish forces will take over the Norwegian fortresses as soon as the treaty is ratified, and abandon Swedish Pomerania when Fredriksten, Fredrikstad, Kongsvinger and Akershus are handed over," Bourke said curtly. Norway whimpered and moved closer to Denmark. "Correct. The King has promised to to negotiate full compensation for the cession of Norway with Denmark," Wetterstedt replied. The rest of the discussion was muted in Denmark's mind as he clung to Norway, as if he would disappear. All too soon, the meeting closed and the treaty was accepted by both men. Sweden swallowed and turned to his brothers.

"I'm sorry...I-I didn't know-" "Shut up," Denmark growled, cutting him off. Norway buried his face in Denmark's chest, trying not to cry, as Denmark embraced him tightly. Sweden grimaced and attempted to speak again, but Denmark held up a hand to stop him. "Don't...j-just don't," he choked out.

* * *Norway packed as many of his clothes and belongings as he could is his small sack, trying to fight back tears. Sweden was leaning against the doorframe, watching him. It was November 4th, 1814, the day Norway would be forced into a personal union with Sweden. He had declared independence in May in an attempt to avoid the terms of the Treaty of Kiel, and it had worked. But not for long.

"Are you almost done?" Sweden said, being quiet so he didn't wake Iceland, who was sleeping in the next room. Norway nodded and picked up one last item; a golden cross pin, which had been given to him by Denmark to replace the one he broke. He put it in his hair, his fingers lingering over it for a moment before he stood up.

"I'm done...can I say goodbye, first?" Norway asked, hope tinging his voice. Sweden hesitated before nodding slightly, moving aside so he could get through the door. Norway quickly went past him and snuck into Iceland's room. The youngest Nordic lay curled up in his bed, sleeping peacefully with a small smile on his face. Norway swallowed hard and kneeled next to the bed and gently stroking the boy's silvery hair.

"Jeg elsker deg, lillebror," Norway said quietly, softly kissing his forehead. "I have to leave you, but I will always love you...nothing can change that," he murmured, a single tear trailing down his cheek. Iceland stirred slightly in his sleep and Norway quickly withdrew his hand, more tears spilling. He stood up quickly and rejoined Sweden outside the room. "Lets go. Before he wakes up."

Denmark watched the two silently from inside his room, the door slightly ajar. Their soft conversation was muffled and he quickly lost sight of them as they left the hallway. Denmark flinched when he heard the front door open and rapidly close moments later. The house became silent and the only thing Denmark could hear was his ragged breathing and soft sobs.

"Norge..." Denmark whimpered, leaning against the door and burying his head in his hands. "Not you, too..." What was happening...? Why was everyone leaving him?! He didn't understand...he'd only hurt people when he had to...he'd tried to be kind...but he was still alone. And that's when it hit him. He was never kind. He always hurt people. He bossed people around like they were his servants, never thinking once about what they'd wanted.

The Dano-Swedish wars had left Sweden scarred and afraid of him. He had supported Napolean during the Napoleonic wars even when Norway warned him not to. Norway...he'd been through so much pain because of him. Denmark had lost close friends and three of his brothers because of his stubborness, selfishness, and thirst for violence. If only he had done things differently...they might still have been there. But Denmark knew deep down that if he was given another chance, ge would screw up again. He would still end up alone.

Jeg elsker deg, lillebror = Norwegian for I love you, little brother.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro