8. HAPPINESS

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A slight tug made Shehanshah look over to his side discreetly, as he saw his new wife yawning softly amidst the chaos. A smile struggled to appear on his face as the official in front of him kept talking about wars and politics, but all he wanted was to carry his Begum to their tent and cuddle through the night.

A desperate but inconspicuous sigh left his lips as he reluctantly continued the monotonous "royal" conversations, but soon enough found a bit of weight against his bicep.

His Begum had fallen asleep.

Albeit veiled with a light material, it was opaque to the viewers in front, but not to Shehenshah who could make out the contour of his Begum's face, her long lashes and soft lips forming a deadly invitation.

"Shehanshah-?" The official in front of him enquired about the sudden shift in his as well as the new Begum's posture, which made Jalal break out of his trance.

" Adham" he called to Maham Anga's son, his brother, " call onto Kunwar Jaswant please, he should introduce himself to the courtsmen too"

Adham was a bit dim, but he too could understand that such an order was a farce. He looked at his mother, who walked over to Shehenshah's seat to understand what was going on.

" Shehanshah-" she almost gasped as she found Jyoti fast asleep on Shehanshah's arm, but shushed herself as the other courtsmen didn't seem to notice it. " Has she lost her damn mind!?" she whispered to Shehanshah.

" Bari Ammi let me handle it please" he coaxed Maham Anga with just signals as he couldn't quite break free from the monotonous discussions that the courtmen had started. " Adham, go"

" The new Begum seems to be quite timid I would say" one of the men in the mehfil stated.

" The journey had been tiring for her. She's also pretty shy so I don't think she'll remove her veil till she enters the haram" Maham Anga humored, as she too didn't want to anger the officials.

When Jodha Begum had entered the family, she had outright denied to show her face in the Mehfil, which was still better than the situation that has arised now. To fall asleep in a room full of men, without addressing them first was an insult that would be remembered as a fault in Shehenshah's hospitality. And Maham Anga couldn't let anyone mock her Jalal's reign.

Shehenshah shifted himself a bit, supporting Jyoti's head in order to make it seem that she was infact sitting upright. But soon, her shoulders seemed to slack and her posture worsened. Shehenshah knew that even with her head resting against his bicep, she would soon lose her balance and fall onto the couch.

He sighed again, and shifted his right hand on which Jyoti's head was resting, so that her head now rested on his shoulder. He scooted a bit towards her, letting her rest her body on his, so that she could stay upright till the end of the meeting. The position they were in was too close and informal for a meeting like this, but it didn't seem too out of the ordinary. Although showing that he was okay with the close proximity with his new wife could turn fatal, he was sure that none of the courtsmen currently present cared for such an act. But he would have to warn his Noor against such naviety soon.

" Sh-shehenshah~" a soft moan entered Shehenshah's ear, as he whipped his head towards Jyoti. The young woman squirmed slowly as her hands tried to embrace the man supporting her sleepy body.

As much as the Emperor would have loved to let her do that, as his own hands craved to encircle his sleeping wife's figure, he was rather scared of what might unfold if he let his thoughts win.

He held her hand that almost encircled his waist from the front and kept it back on her lap. Thankfully, Maham Anga had successfully garnered every courtsmen's attention with her talks and no one noticed the small slip up. But Shehenshah knew that he would need a bigger distraction, or better yet, have everyone empty out the tent.

And just as he almost started praying, the sound of footsteps alerted everyone in the meeting. Soon Adham and Jaswant entered, making everyone turn their heads to the new member.

Jaswant was seemingly formal, his hair set and his outfit polished as if made just for meeting the Mughal officials, but his eyes gave away the fact that he was probably just shaken out of a deep sleep.

" Like brother like sister -"  Shehenshah scoffed mentally, as he soon heard Jaswant clear his throat and say,

" Pranaam, I am Kunwar Jaswant, Princess Jyoti's brother"

Shehenshah felt a bit of relief as everyone turned towards Jaswant, who on the other hand was eyeing him and his twin with a questioning look. His eyes widened as if in sudden realisation, as he shook his head for a second in second-hand embarrassment and diverted his attention again towards the courtmen.

As everyone introduced themselves to him, he suggested with great enthusiasm that another tent with 'entertainment' had been set up for the men by Shehenshah in the occasion of his marriage.

And before anyone could argue, Jaswant, along with Maham Anga almost shooed the people away to the other tent, leaving Shehenshah and Jyoti behind.

As silence engulfed the huge tent, Shehenshah let out a laugh, while keeping Jyoti's head slowly onto his lap.

" You've created so much trouble in just a day" he chuckled, slowly removing the veil that covered Jyoti's face.

He traced his finger over her soft features, giving attention to the small mole on her jaw just below her lips. He caressed her cheeks, and tried to hold back his fingers from touching her lips which were reddened with makeup. He knew, he would wake his Begum up with his antics if he lost control.

Instead he searched for her hands, which were turning cold because of the night. He held them in his, warming them up and kissing them slowly, etching the feeling of soft skin against his lips, when suddenly she again moaned softly,

" Shehenshahhh~"

And squirmed in his lap.

It was dangerous, too dangerous for him.

He left her hands in hurry and straightened himself up, but sadly for him, his wife wouldn't stop taking his name in her sleep.

" Shehenshah ~" she moaned again, and he could feel himself buckling down to his desires.

"ShehenshAAHH!" A whine left Jyoti's lips, which almost felt as a complaint.

" Goodness" Shehenshah cursed at his thoughts and clapped twice, as a soldier quickly entered the tent and stood just behind the curtains that separated them.

" Did the courtsmen leave? Or are they still outside?"

" They have left Shehenshah" the soldier replied.

" Is the path to Begum Noor's tent clear?"

" Yes Shehanshah"

Jalal sighed in relief as he quickly placed his hands below Jyoti's knees and waist, picking her up swiftly and walking over to her tent.

He could feel the maids and soldiers eyeing him and his Begum, but he couldn't blame them. He had always maintained a formal demeanor in front of them, and any kind of proximity was only limited to the Haram.

His actions, which were a bit too romantic for the stone-hearted Shehenshah of the Mughals, thus turned too many heads, but he didn't mind it. The night was still young, and everything would be forgotten by tomorrow. But he knew news travels fast, and he only wished that any complaints that his people would have against this to be faced only by him, and not by his Noor.

Placing her on her bed, he was leaving for his tent, just when a small tug stopped him

" Don't go~"

The words rolled out of Jyoti's lips even in sleep, and Jalal couldn't help but feel his heart melt all over again.

Without any hesitation he climbed up besides her, his feet moving before he could even register his wife's request. It was like magic, how her words or even just a gaze made him want to be closer to her.

" My whole life, women had tried to woo me into submission. To become the Mallika of Hind, they have given up a lot to make a place in my heart. But you...my Noor... only had to breathe. And I don't feel threatened" he sighed, noticing every feature on her moonlit face.

"But I wonder... is this real? Do you really not have any ulterior motives my love? How can you flutter your eyes and have that smile that can bring down the coldest of men, and not use it to your advantage? Is such a life even possible? To not make any ploys, to live in just happiness and naviety your whole life?" He whispered to her slowly and calmly, watching her breaths rise and fall.

" Can you teach me this power Noor? The power it takes to be free?" He felt his eyes burning, not knowing that his tears were begging to flow. The man who had conquered vast lands and killed numerous men without shedding a single tear was being undone by just a girl, a girl who dared to just be. " The power it takes to be happy?"

---

Shehanshah sighed as he walked out of his new Begum's tent, the sun feeling too warm for his taste. They were close to Agra, but the summers were similarly unbearable as Mahanagar.

Slightly irritated that he had to leave his Begum's side so soon, he walked towards Maham Anga's carriage which was set to depart.

" I shall take my leave now Shehenshah" she bowed after having a quick exchange about her errands in the neighbouring Kingdom.

" Begum Noor is coming, let's wait a bit Bari Ammi" he asked, looking back at the small stature of his Begum who was huffing and rushing towards them with her eyes downcasted.

" I hope you know what happened yeaternight won't be tolerated back in the Palace. We cannot afford another Hindu Begum to insult the councilmen in Diwan-e-Khaas" Maham Anga stated through gritted teeth, as Shehanshah almost glared at her words.

" I know it well Bari Ammi, I will make her understand the rules of the Haram and the Empire" He whispered back as Jyoti was closing in on them.

" No, let Ruqaiya Begum do that. It's her job at the end-" Maham Anga stopped abruptly as Jyoti stood and bowed in front of her.

" Aadaab Bari Ammi -"

" Maham Anga is my name. Wazir-e-ala is my title. Currently we are out in the open, with a few of the councilmen accompanying me. You shouldn't call me endearments, especially the ones reserved only for a few" Maham Anga interjected harshly, making Jyoti jump back a little.

" I am sorry...." Jyoti muttered, as Shehanshah could hear the frustration and defeat in her voice. He hated it, seeing the Noor of his Begum dimming away since he had married her.

He was correct on his assumptions, his world would destroy her charm. And he felt a heaviness in his chest with the possibility of her being silenced forever.

" The carriage is ready Shehenshah!" A soldier interrupted, as the trio straightened them up for departure.

Maham Anga went away saying nothing more, as Jyoti still stood frozen and dejected.

" Noor Begum" a soft whisper left Shehanshah's lips, as he couldn't help but turn his wife's face towards him and lift up her chin. " Don't take her harsh words to your heart... It's going to be okay"

It was as if his words had broken the last thread that was keeping Jyoti's calm together, as she burst into tears, still trying her best to not make much noise.

" I am sor-sorry Shahenshah-" she whined between the sobs, as Shehanshah couldn't help but embrace his Begum into a hug, keeping one of his hands wrapped around her waist and the other supporting her heard.

Jyoti too buried herself into Jalal's chest, trying to find comfort in the warmth of his embrace and the soft beating heart that followed the same rhythm as hers. She had found herself a companion, a great one at that, but she knew she couldn't have his embrace all the time. As they'll arrive Agra, these arms would belong to many, and she would have to accept her fate.

Thus she held on tightly, clutching at the fabric that Shehenshah wore, not caring about the gazes that fell on them. She knew, Shehenshah too didn't mind them.

But soon, a soldier interrupted meekly,

" Shehenshah-" he said, as the two broke their embrace to look at him.

" What is it?" Shehenshah asked harshly.

" There's a news from the Palace, from Begum Ruqaiya" he handed a small scroll to Shehenshah and left.

Jyoti looked at the embroidered scroll, wondering what could be the news that was written in such a beautiful piece of paper. But she kept waiting, as Shehenshah didn't open it.

" Should I leave Shehenshah?" She asked, wondering if he wanted privacy.

" Can you read Urdu, Begum Noor?" He asked hesitantly, making Jyoti scrunch up her face in confusion.

" Umm.. yes. I can read it, but I don't understand a few words" she said, and found her husband forwarding the scroll towards her.

" Read it for me please" he asked, as Jyoti almost smiled at the softness of his words.

She took the scroll in her hands, and opened it up. With a bit difficulty, she read.

" Jala- uhm.. Shehenshah" she corrected herself as she didn't want to take his name.

" Begum Noor... You know it's a crime to change the words of an official letter right?" Shehenshah teased, as he bent a bit to get in level with Jyoti's face.

" But this isn't an official letter Shehanshah... Its personal" she replied, as Shehenshah just nodded in defeat.

" Let me continue then.." Jyoti smiled and resumed reading the letter, "I know you've just married a new Princess, but I couldn't stop myself from giving you the news. And I want you to know about it first. Jalal... our prayers have been heard. The Sultanate will have its heir soon-"

Jyoti stopped abruptly as she felt Shehanshah clutching her hand tightly.

" Don't stop" he ordered, his eyes widening with anticipation.

Jyoti gulped with anticipation too, and resumed without a pause,

" I am pregnant Jalal. You'll become a father soon, and I a mother. Congratulations" Jyoti stopped, closing the scroll as the letter ended, a weird feeling blurring her thoughts. But soon she felt herself being lifted off the grounds, and heard her husband screaming,

" I... I cannot believe it!" Shehenshah howled in laughter, " I AM GOING TO BE A FATHER!!"

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

Hello Readers!

So I failed in a theory exam, which was unexpected. Idk what to say, but I am only a bit sad, because I know I will do good in the final exams. I just hope I won't have to take a retest for just 6 marks though.

Btw this is the final chapter of this arc, which was like pre-palace. I didn't realise it would be so long tbh. But yea, from the next chapter it will be about palace ladies and their dynamics.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro