001: Observation

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Pushing through the bunch of scientists, you shove aside your colleague and look into the GMT (Giant Magellan Telescope). Of course, being a prominent member of the Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute was one of the best positions you could hold, especially being a woman, you hardly had any female friends to talk to in the institute.

"Yah, Jiyoo-"

"Shh!" You hold your finger up, eyes still focused through the lens of the telescope, searching for the once in a lifetime opportunity.

"You can't shush-"

"Shhhhh!"

"You're looking the wrong-"

"I see it!" You exclaim, and everyone's heads turn to you immediately as a few scientists bounce up to you. It looked ethereal with cloud-blurred contours of seas and continents and a vague mottling of gray and brown and green. None of the surface features, not even the major mountain ranges or rivers, were yet distinguishable but just the sight of a new planet brought a smile to your face and a sparkle to your eyes. These were the moments where you loved your job more than anything else in the world.

You were even more excited because from the lush features of the planet, one would expect life to have found its way there, and the next plan would be communication and soon, visitation. You were pushed out of the way by the next person who bounced in joy as he gazed through the telescope. You were in the younger section of the academy so most of the people around you were nerdy teens and 20 year olds.

"It's so close!" The boy who was staring through the telescope exclaimed.

Your colleague nodded with a wide smile, replying,

"Yes.. it's almost the same distance away as Jupiter. It'll stay in contact of our sight for about a year and then it'll be gone for another 50 years. Count yourself lucky when you'll be one of the very few that step foot on it."

A radiant glow of happiness emitted from the freshman as he smiled so hard you were afraid it might get stuck that way forever.

"We will do no such thing." A gravely, croaky voice echoed from behind you and you turned around to reveal an old man, cladded in the same attire as the rest of you - Blue shirts with the institution's logo over your left chest tucked into white trousers for the men and skirts for the women.

Although, you opted for the trousers because you found it ridiculous to be doing your tasks in a tight skirt and you wanted to break out of the stereotype of girls wearing skirts. You wanted to be yourself, no matter your gender. You wanted to be treated equal and you wanted to make choices of your own without getting judged by the backward minded society of the world.

You pulled your hands out of your pockets and bowed as did everyone else in the room towards the 70 year old man that had a stone cold expression on his wrinkled face. You lower your head, speaking up.

"With all due respect sir, but why not? This is an amazing discovery and it's closer than any of the other new planets we've discovered. It could be our chance to communicate-"

"I was here 50 years ago." He cuts you off, lowering himself into a plastic chair at the side of the observatory.

Oh.. right..

"I was 20 years old, one of the chief scientists of this institution and we were the first ones to find this planet.. but that's what we thought."

You furrow your eyebrows as the room fills with whispers.

"We had the technology, and so, as soon as possible, we took off. We inquired for a year, searching for life on the planet. Besides vegetational life, there were no living creatures to be found and it was a huge blow to us. With all the lush greenery and abundance of water, we were expecting thriving creatures of various shapes and sizes."

At this point, everyone in the room was on the floor, folding their legs and resting their chins on their palms and gazing at the man who resembled a grandfather telling his grandchildren about his 'adventures' in life.

"We arrived on the planet, and that's when.. that's when we were ambushed."

You sat up straight with furrowed eyebrows.

"But you said-"

"Let him finish!" A boy beside you smacked your arm and you pouted, rubbing your arm and slumping back down as the man continued to speak.

"These creatures.. they were almost human like. I was shocked. It was then that we realized that they were shape-shifting organisms and that's how they hid under the radar from us. They could change into anything - birds, trees, something even as tiny as an ant and other creatures that we have no knowledge of."

"What did they do to you guys?" The boy who once smacked you speaks up and you send him a dark glare as he smirks.

"We were captured. You don't need to know the details. All the members of my crew were killed and I was the only miraculous survivor. It seems as though they have a sour stir of feelings for us, but I don't know why. So I advise you, stay away from that planet. It's nothing but trouble."

The old man gets up, walking away as everyone glances at each other, some new theories beginning to spring up along with some extremely ridiculous ones.

"I think old man Georgie might be right.."

"What if they visited earth and humans didn't take their visitation too well?"

"What if Hitler massacred them?"

"Or what if they were offered as sacrifices to the Illuminati?"

"Or what if-"

You scrunch your nose up at the absolute idiocy of the bunch of so-called 'budding scientists' around you and roll your eyes, slinging your bag over your shoulder and making your way to the exit. Running footsteps are heard along with a hand slung around your shoulder.

"So.. are you having any guests over tonight?" Your colleague asks, and you sigh.

"I suppose not, so yes, you can spend the night with me Jake.."

"Yes!" He jumps, punching a fist into the air. You smile at the younger boy, knowing that he wanted to stay away from his home as much as possible. It was sad, both his parents had died of cancer and he was left to his insanely strict aunt.

"I got two tubs of ice cream too. Mint chocolate and-"

"Raspberry swirl?!"

You laugh and nod as he squeals, hugging you before jumping into the passengers seat. It was a rooftop night and you both knew it would be incomplete without two tubs of your favorite flavored ice creams. Roaring the engine of your Subaru to life, you take off with music blasting and the two of you screaming your lungs out.

Driving through the busy highway, you blast the music so loud that your insides began to vibrate with the beat of the song. Jake yells, ruffling his hair and rolling down the window as you widen your eyes, knowing his next move.

"JAKE-"

Sticking his head out the window, the confined music from inside bursts into the outside world as he screams the lyrics.

"I SAID MY FACE BOMB ASS TIGHT, RACKS STACK UP SHAQ HEIGHT, JEWELRY ON ME, FLASHLIGHT, I BEEN LIT SINCE LAST NIGHT, HIT HIM WITH THAT GOOD GOOD, MAKE A N**** ACT RIGHT, BROKE BOYS DON'T DESERVE NO PUSSY, I KNOW THAT'S RIGHT!"

You burst out laughing, not only at him but at the reactions of the older ladies returning from the supermarkets in their cars, staring at you both in horror as we drive past them. Your laughter dies down as you bring your focus back to the road, shaking your head with a smile.

"You're such a douche."

"I love you toooo!"

He says in a baby voice, cupping his fingers to make a heart before leaning back into the seat and pulling his hoodie over his head.

After a few minutes, the familiar roads and landmarks to your house pan into view and you sigh in relief as you pull into the parking lot of your apartment, turning down the music immediately.

"Wouldn't want to wake up my froggy neighbours.." You say with an eye roll as you open the door to your flat. The two of you get changed and you grab the gigantic tubs of ice cream along with blankets and tiptoe to the rooftop. You stretch and climb onto the top section of the bunker bed placed towards the corner of the rooftop.

(This is how I imagine the setting of their rooftop hideout.)

Jake opens the metalled cupboard and gasps when he sees the newly filled cupboard of snacks.

"Don't eat everything!" You whisper-yell when you see him grabbing four bars of chocolate and three bags of chips. He looks at the contents in his hands and places one bar of chocolate back in the cupboard and looking back towards with a large smile.

"Doofus.."

You switch on the large colored lights hung around the bed and lay down, digging into your mint chocolate ice-cream and gazing at the sky above you. Jake climbs up, sitting down next to you and resting his weight on the bars of the bunker before speaking up.

"So.. about this planet thing.."

"I really wanted to be part of the exploration squad.. I want to see it. I want to-"

"You can't want things you won't get, Jiyoo-ah.."

"But we can try!"

"How? The ex chief scientist said it's dangerous and-"

"He wouldn't even tell us all the details.." You say with a pout, shoving a large spoonful into your mouth as the ice cream cools your insides while travelling down your body.

"It's probably classified shit.." He says, crunching on some chips and putting in a spoonful of his raspberry swirl at the same time.

"Maybe.." you say with a sad tone and gaze up at a star that seemed prominently brighter than the others.

"That's it, isn't it?" You say, pointing at it. Jake follows your gaze and nods.

"Yeah.. pretty cool, huh? Knowing that a temporary planet is here at our fingertips.."

"And yet we can't reach it." You say, closing your eyes.

With a sigh, Jake lays down next to you.
"I'm sure we'll discover something else.."

You sit up and whine,
"But that's not the point!"
You raise your index finger, shaking it as you think. Finally you say,
"We can convince the board of head scientists. It seems like old man Georgie is the only one in opposition."

Jake scoffs, shaking his head.

"Ms. Kwon Jiyoo, are you suggesting mutiny?"

"Maybe.." You say, clasping the nail of your index finger between your teeth as you giggle before plopping back down beside him.

"At least it's a start.."

A/N: Well... you can say I'm a jobless bitch cuz here is my new book! Sci-fi fantasy is something I never would have thought of venturing into, but here I am! I wanted to try something new and ended up with this.. hope you guys like it!

Please vote and don't be a silent reader! I'm watching you..

Stay hoes,

Kim <3

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro