003: Waiting

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Biting your nails as your stare never leaves your phone that lay on your desk, empty and silent.

Come on.. how long does it take, huh?

Your phone comes to life as the screen lights up and the annoying ringtone begins to sound in the silent room. Lunging forward, you grab it and answer the call, pressing the phone to your ear.

"Mrs-"

You're cut off and your heart sinks as you yell into the phone.

"No, I do not want a toilet plunger! I don't care if it's 50% off either, it's probably made in China."

You cut the call, tossing your phone back on to the table with a groan as you run a hand through your hair.

Fucking telemarketers...

You gasp as your phone rings and you grab it again, pressing it to your ear.

Your heart jumps in joy as you chime into the phone.

"Thank you so much!" Jumping up from the chair of your office, you jerk the door open and run down the hallway till you reach Jake's office. Banging on the door like a crazy woman until the door jerks open, you barge into his office as he looks as you, stunned.

"What kind of boss are you?" He whines as he shuts the door.

"W-we got the slot for the meeting!" You yell, spreading your arms out in victory and he froze.

"Are you serious?"

"No, I came here to tell you I'm married to a pizza. OF COURSE I'M SERIOUS!"

He laughs and claps his hands in joy.

"It's actually working.. When is it?"

"Tomorrow at 4 pm."

His face drops as he groans, ruffling his hair.

"What, what, what?" You rant, resting your hands on your hips.

"I have a meeting with my friends at 4-"

"Yah! This is way more important!"

"But-"

"You're the assistant manager for God's sake, you have to be at the meeting with the students and I."

"But-"

"I won't take you with us, then.." You chime, folding your arms and looking around the room. Silence envelops the room as the boy stares at you and sighs.

"...Fine."

"Good!" You say with a smile, pinching his cheeks and walking out. He shakes his head, ruffling his hair as he watches you skip down the hallway.

"Things are going downhill..." He mutters to himself as he shuts the door.

Skipping up to you as you exit the building, he asks,

"J-Jiyoo-ah.. are you going to have anyone over tonight?"

You sigh, turning to him.

"Yes.. my parents are coming over.. Sorry Jakie."

His stomach clenches as he smiles at you.

"I-it's ok.."

He walks over to the next bus stop with his hands in his pocket and his bag slung over his shoulder. Groaning when he looks at the time, he begins to walk home. No busses would be available after 10pm.

Walking down many streets, he finally reaches the shabby alley. Under flickering lights, his eyes land on something that moved and he startles before receiving a familiar stench. The alley cat was the monarch of the alley, almost more scar than fur, its ears were matted confetti and it stank worse than a week old garbage.

It watched with lamp-like eyes, a ring of sea-green around the expanse of black, paws always ready to run. Jake would always see the same one every time he walked down here, but kept his distance from the smelly creature. He would sometimes throw some leftover lunch towards it but that would be it.

Passing by it, he hears the usual rummaging of plastic as his gaze meets those of Ben's. Halting his rummaging, Ben lifts his head from the garbage can and smiles when he sees Jake. The odour of the dumpster was enough to seal up his nostrils and request his brain to conjure memories of sweeter perfumes.

"Jake! How's life, my man?"

He struts towards Jake with his arms wide open. He places his hands on Jake's shoulders and Jake shrugs them off immediately with an awkward smile. Holding his hands up, Ben's attitude slightly changes as he laughs louder than normal.

"What? Are you too clean for me now?"

Shaking his head immediately, Jake rubs the back of his neck nervously.

"It's not like that.. I- um.. I have to go home soon.. bye!"

Scurrying away from the homeless man, Jake sighs as he enters a different section of the alley. The walls had gotten closer to him from both sides. He could stretch his arms and touch the homes on both sides, because that's how cramped the place was. The whole alley beyond him was shielded with homes but one handshake door to door between neighbors was all they could do for there was not much space.

He walked down towards the fourth door on the right and stopped in front of it. Squeezing his eyes shut, he knocks on it. The door jerks open almost immediately and his eyes remained shut.

"Where were you?" His aunt yells, pulling him inside and slamming the ragged door shut.

"I- I was spending the nights wi-"

"Are you wandering around with that girl again? Huh?"

"S-she's my friend and-"

"I already told you to stay away from her! I don't like her!" She yells, with her face inches away from his.

"But-"

"Did you see her face when she entered our home? Like we were too disgusting for her. She left 5 minutes later, in the middle of dinner. Aish, I'm warning you, these type of women ar-"

"I don't care about what you have to say anymore!" He raises his voice with his gaze lowered.

Silence is heard from the plump woman in front of him as she stared at him with wide eyes.

"How.. how dare you raise your-"

"Aunt.. I'm not going to put up with your bad-mouthing anymore."

"Jake!" She exclaims, eyes widened.

"If you don't stop, I'm leaving."

Leaving her dumbfounded, he retreats to his small room, slamming the door shut.

~Meanwhile~

"Mom! Dad!"
You exclaim as a taxi pulls up outside your apartment complex, immediately helping them with their luggage.
"Y/N! You didn't tell me you shifted houses! The flat we found for you was much better and closer to our house.." Your mother exclaims with furrowed eyebrows, judging eyes travelling the building.

"Mom, there were too many rats and power cuts.. I found this one closer to the institute, it's way better inside." You say with a chuckle, climbing up the steps with the suitcases. Your parents would be staying with you for the next week since they were on holiday.

"We'll see.." she says, defeated on the inside but proud at the growth of her daughter.
Your stomach churned on the inside, noticing your father's silence. He was always a silent man, observing things and processing situations in his head before speaking a word.

Pushing open the door, you grin at the neat place you managed to clean half an hour before their arrival. Your mother presses her lips together before cracking a little smile as you playfully punch her shoulder.
"I told you it isn't bad."

"Alright, alright.. credits to you.." your mother chimes, pinching your cheeks before taking off her jacket.
You turn to your father as he eyes the room with his hands in his pockets
"Well?" You say expectantly.
"You're growing up to be an independent beautiful woman.. it seems like you were born only yesterday.." he says softly as you smile, engulfing him in a tight embrace.
"I'll always be here, dad. It's alright." You say with a laugh as he sniffs the air.

"Something smells nice.."
"Oh!" You exclaim, remembering the large bowl of jajangmyun you had prepared for dinner.
"Are you guys hungry now?" You ask, strolling to the kitchen.
"It's quite late, so we'll eat now." Your mother states, excited at the meal that she finally doesn't have to cook.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

You plop down onto your bed with a sigh, and take out your phone. You hardly ever look at it because of the amount of work you do for your age. People would call you a 'Child Prodigy', because girls and boys your age would be enrolling as students, whereas you were already their manager.

This mission would mean everything to me.. to get a break from this world, literally.. to explore a new planet, just like how we did with the other newfound ones, and to even possibly interact with extraterrestrial life.

Well, let's hope the meeting goes as planned..

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro