#60: Let's Play Pretend (Part 4)

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

*Patrick's P. O. V.*

"So, how's you and Y/N?" Pete suddenly asked. He never really asks much about this, but recently, I've been noticing him always asking this question.

"Still the same. We're still going out once, maybe twice a week. Pictures about us are posted here and there, the love story is still strong too. And you already know we're close and good friends so everything is normal," I answered him. Pete was silent for a couple of seconds, but he's still looking at me as if he's still waiting for more answers.

"And?" he prompted which made me stare at my friend in confusion.

"And what? That was it, I answered your question. You're acting weird recently, Pete," I told him with a chuckle and then he scoffed at me.

"Oh please, Stump. You've been this fake couple for almost two years now, have been in different places together, spend an ample amount time together, enjoyed a lot of things together and you're telling me, that was just it? I know you, Patrick, and the way you tell stories about her, it's...

"No, it's not. Pete, you know how hard I try to be not that kind of person anymore. I told you after that last shitty relationship of mine that I'm done with this commitment thing. It just ruins things. What I have with Y/N is the best thing I could have right now and that's that," I cut him off and said that to him firmly.

"Sounds pretty defensive of you, but okay," my best friend replied and I do hate that he's somehow correct. I have to admit that I sounded very defensive there. I don't know why, there's nothing to be defensive about.

"All this is are just in accordance with the contract. It's just a bonus that we became very close with each other and we understand our situation. Yes, you could argue that there is still a relationship between us in a way, but I think that's just close friends, maybe even close friends with benefits...but that's that," I added. I knew telling Pete stories about my and Y/N's experiences and adventures together will bite me one day and now here I am, feeling like I'm being observed and pushed to confession.

You can't blame me though, what Y/N and I have been doing for the past couple of months are very memorable and I find it hard not to share those to Pete. I often find myself telling Pete a lot of things about Y/N too.

"Is it really just that or you just want to interpret your true feelings as just that?" He gave me that kind of commentary again with a cheeky smile.

I chose not to answer him this time and stayed silent while I stare back at my laptop. I wanted to focus on the music I'm working on but for some reason, that last thought that Pete threw towards me got stuck in my head.

I laughed to myself...'interpreting my true feeling as just that'...Nah. It's not like that, there are no true feeling to hide...everything is still about the contract.

Right?

I mean, it's not like she's the first person that comes to mind every time I wake up; not like I'm finding myself searching for her when she's not around; not like always wanting to make sure she's okay and safe; not like everytime I see something interesting and worth-trying, she's the first person I want to show it to; not like everything around me reminds me of her because she's just the kind of person that makes a funny and interesting commentary on everything; and most of all, it's not that I like her at all.

"Well, shit," I murmured to myself as realizations came down.

It is like that. I guess afterall, what Pete is implying is correct. Maybe I'm really just the one dismissing it as something shallow. Still, after trying not to give anything at this, I still ended up being attached to Y/N...but I mean, who wouldn't be attached to her? She is, if not the best, one of the most amazing person I got to know. I should honestly be shocked right now for realizing this, but I'm not. It's not a shocker that I could like her, besides, to my knowledge, she's the perfect one.

But this, this kind of feeling has dawned of me one too many times before and I always find myself wrong in the end. It was always frustrating, that's why I ought to dismiss this now.

"It'll surely pass," I said to myself.

I shouldn't bring myself to that struggle again. Besides, Y/N's not serious about this too. It won't proceed to anything. We just have 2 more months before these all ends.

Surely, by then, these feelings will all go away.

*Y/N's P. O. V. *

I never expected myself to say this, but now...I really am hoping this day won't come, but I guess it's inevitable.

The end of the contract is today, after having this final meeting, there's nothing more that could hold me and Patrick together, everything will just be gone.

Yes, I'm sure we'll still be friend after this because right from the beginning we know this will happen, but somehow, something happened in the last 2 months of this show of ours. I have no idea if it was just me but it felt like we weren't faking it anymore. In a way, I felt like we've confessed something true to each other without actually saying anything. It was all seen by efforts made, care given, and emotions expressed and if you ask me...those are more poweful than any word.

It was the best months we've had together and the first time ever I confessed that I wished we weren't just faking it anymore. I've been giving him a lot of those kinds of comments, actually almost confessing that I do feel something more now, but nothing ever came out of it, not quite yet at least.

I finally arrived at the office and soon enough we're gathered at the meeting room again. Just me, my manager, Patrick, and the head talent manager which pushed this thing to set forth.

"Well, you two did a pretty great job at this. We actually believed every second of it," she said and Patrick and I smiled proudly, "But of course, a contract is a contract. I know you two have been restrained of some things, but now that's not the case anymore. The contract ended and it's up to the both of you if you want to end it or still continue, but this time, no contract at all," she added.

"I think we'll be able to handle it from here, Ma'am," Patrick said which somehow made my heart skip a beat.

Honestly, I'm hoping that this will continue. Maybe, today something will finally be said.

Hours later, after some boring business talk and formalities to end the contract, they finally dismissed us. Patrick and I are now walking along the long empty hallways of the building towards the parking area.

"So...this is it, huh?" I asked.

"Yeah...yeah, I guess so. It's been really fun, Y/N. I actually wish it could have been longer," Patrick answered. He wasn't even looking at me, he's just walking beside me with a small smile on his face.

I know it wasn't just me assuming things, I know somehow he feels something too. I know he always says that he's done with this real relationship and commitment thing...but I hope he can let me in.

I let silence stay for a while until we both reached our cars which are parked side by side. We stopped our tracks at the same time and just stood there as if we're both waiting for words to come out.

"Well...just say the word and I'll be more than willing to stay," I volunteered to break the silence and said that while looking at him. I have a bright smile on my face, my tone was playful but I really do mean what I have said. Again, I'm hopeful...I know he feels something too, and I like to think that he's willing to ---

"Goodbye, Y/N," That was the answer I got and saying that I was taken back is an understatement.

Patrick pulled me in for a hug and I think I just became a robot. The smile was still on my face but there's definitely pain somewhere inside me. I pushed myself to be okay and hug him back, trying so hard not to show that I'm hurting.

Maybe I was really just assuming too much, maybe there never really was something else ---

"It'll pass. Don't worry, it'll pass," Patrick murmured while we hug but it sounded like he was saying that more to himself than me.

But nevertheless, I wish he didn't say that.

He didn't let me in.

And those words just confirmed that there really was a chance...but I guess that chance will never ever get to see the light of day.

A/N: This mini fanfic is not done yet. We're just staring the drama. Lol.
Thanks for reading!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro