08 |

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"What's your opinion of horror movies?" Scarlett propped her hands balled into fists against her cheeks, pushing them up. She sat across from him in the library as Chord tried finishing up some homework he missed.

"You know you look like a chipmunk when you do that."

"Yeah, but a cute chipmunk." She stuck her tongue out. "So, horror movies?"

He paused, answering, "Uh, love them. But Cinder can't handle them and my aunt doesn't want to subject her to a lot of violence so we don't watch them very often. Why?"

She pulled something out of her pocket, waving two tickets between her black painted fingers. "A little birdy told me the theater here is doing a month-long showing of a bunch of horror movies for October. I got two tickets for this Friday. Wanna go with me?"

"Who's the little birdy?"

"Miss Charlotte's nephew works at the theater, but answer the question."

Twirling his pencil between his fingers, Chord bit the inside of his mouth, fidgeting. "I don't suppose this is one of those invitations I can talk my way out of?"

He loved the movies, but he hardly went since he never had anyone to go with. Movies were meant to be enjoyed with others in Chord's opinion.

She shook her head, looking smug. "Nope, sorry, " she answered, waving them in front of him. "Please, Chord? Don't make me beg and use the puppy dog eyes because I am twisted and petty enough to use it to my advantage. You can't say no to this cute face. You're not that heartless. Besides, I hate going to the movies alone."

Don't look up. Don't fall for it. Chord kept his gaze on his work, despite feeling the itch at the back of his neck knowing Scarlett was giving him a look similar to Cinder asking for extra dessert.

"You don't want to ask one of your other friends?" he offered. "Or take Diego?"

"Diego is too young for it. Erza is at that awkward stage where all girls are either gross or intimidating, Slater will just complain he isn't gaming, and Astin hates horror movies."

"Who are they?"

"Hm? Oh, shit. That's right. I keep forgetting to tell you. Erza and Astin are the other two kids Miss Charlotte and her partner adopted. Slater is Miss Charlotte's biological son she had with her ex before she decided all men suck."

How many kids did that woman adopt? Talk about dedication.

"I did ask Dakota. He's this dude in my Calculus class - and aside from you, he's the only person here worth talking to - but he has to work during the showing. So I sold the third ticket to a girl in my gym class for like five bucks. I'll use it to buy Churritos after school."

Scarlett leaned across the table, placing her arms over his textbook, stretching like a cat. "So, what do you say? Free movie night? It's a late Friday showing so not many will be there since there's a football game at the same time. So we can sit wherever the hell we want and no one will be able to bother us. We can shit talk it all we want."

Plus, Xander wouldn't be there. Though she didn't say it, he could tell that was what she was hinting at, which was a relief for him.

He wanted to go. He enjoyed horror movies and he wanted to spend more time with Scarlett so much that it nearly overwhelmed his fear of pissing Xander off. Since it was during the football game, there was no potentional risk.

Decision made, Chord nodded. "Sure, sounds like a plan."

She let out a loud cheer which earned the death glare of the hawk looking librarian. She mouthed an apology, turning back to Chord. "I'm so glad you said yes. I was prepared to give you the puppy dog eyes. I would climb over this table and beg you if need be."

Chord's eyebrows arched. "That would've been a bit much, don't you think?"

She leaned back into her seat, shrugging. "Life is too short to care about how I look. Long as I'm happy with how I am and I don't bother you with it, it's all good to me." She stole a look behind her to see the librarian with her back to her as she snaked her hand into her back, pulling out a couple of Flaming Hot Cheetos, tossing them into her mouth. "By the way, thanks for letting me hide in here with you. Xander has been extra desperate today. You know, he was standing by my parking spot this morning."

"Oh?" Over the past couple weeks since she first went to his house, she had started telling him stories about the futile attempts of Xander. Though he would prefer not to hear about him at all, the second best thing was hearing him strike out.

It is quite therapeutic, no lie.

"Yes! He tried to pretend he 'parked in the wrong spot by accident' by parking next to me. The parking lot guard came by then and told him to get his ass to his own spot or he'd be fined. His face was so embarassed!"

"You do know he will eventually find you here, right?"

"I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it. He doesn't have the capacity for thought. Until then," she popped a couple more Cheetos in her mouth, "I'll stuff my face with Cheetos. You want any?" She nudged her bag, showing the giant-sized bag to him. Shaking his head, Scarlett continued, "So, tell me something. I've been here a while and it's just been bugging me. How is it exactly that everyone seems to hate you? I mean, you're bound to have enemies, but the odds of everyone at this school hating you is just weird."

Chord pinched the bridge of his nose, closing the book. "I give up. This subject can kiss my ass." He huffed, trying to gather his remaining brain cells flying around him, but froze when he saw Scarlett giving him a funny look. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Just find it funny you cursed. You normally don't say much," she answered, two fingers sticking up coated with red Cheeto flavoring. "Well?"

Chord sighed. "It wasn't anything I did. This school is for the rich kids, you know?" She nodded, and he continued, "However, each year they let three people get in via scholarship based on testing they do each year. If you get past it, your school tuition and everything is paid for. You have to keep up a near-perfect GPA set by their guidelines to keep it. Then repeat it every year."

"So you're a big ass smarty pants and people don't like it?"

Chord shrugged. "I don't think I'm that smart."

"What's the square root of 3,364?"

"Fifty-eight, but that's easy." Scarlett through an amused smirk his way and Chord felt his face heat up. "That proves nothing. I like math!"

"Nope, pretty sure it proved you're a smarty pants." She hummed, tuging on her hoodie sleeve. "But seriously that is so fucking dumb! Smart people like you will rule the world."

"I think it's more of the fact I'm biracial than that. Or the fact I kinda stand out size wise."

"So? My point still stands! This isn't the 1940's. There is nothing wrong with your color or your size." She stared at him, eyes narrowed. "Wait, why your size? You're basically the same size as Xander."

Chord shrugged. "I just don't act like a cocky asshole so."

"People like them makes me embarassed to be white. I like you just as you are."

------

"Did a tornado come through here?" Cinder stood in the doorway to Chord's room, holding a folder to her chest.

Chord stood there, both hands holding a shirt. He eyed her before tossing them behind him. "No, why?"

"Your closet must have thrown up. Why are all your clothes on the bed and floor? Mom's gonna kill you."

He rolled his eyes. "I'll put it all back, Cin. What is it?"

She held out the folder as she walked in. "Can you check my math homework? I don't know what is real anymore."

Smiling, he took the folder and sat on a bare spot of his bed. "Sure." After showing him the work, he skimmed it. "You need to redo numbers 3, 14, and 24. Redo the work for 25 as well."

"Crap, I thought I had them." She puffed out her cheeks, like how Scarlett did. "Can you help me?"

"Uh," he looked up at the disarray of his predicament, grimacing, "sure. I need a break anyway."

"Why are your clothes out like this?"

Chord let out a sigh as he fell back on the bed, looking up at the ceiling. "I think I'm having a mid-life criss. No, wait. An early-life crisis."

Laying back with him, Cinder stared at him. "What's a mid-life crisis?"

"You'll find out when you're older."

She sighed, not speaking for a few seconds. "I'm older. What's a mid-life crisis?"

"Ugh, I'm not in a mood for explaining Cin. I'm freaking out right now."

"Can I help?" she asked, turning to sit on her knees. Looking down at him, she  hopped on the bed. "I'm good helping with things!"

"Not sure you can do much with this."

"Try me! Unless you need new clothes. I have thirty bucks in allowance and you can't have it."

Chord bit his lip. Though he probably could use the help, he also wasn't sure telling Cinder was a good idea. Once she knew the issue, she'd tease the hell out of him.

What the hell.

"If I tell you, you can't tell your mother. Got it?"

Cinder blinked wordlessly, trying to decide what to say. Suddenly she gasped, "Are you dying Chord?"

"What? No, I'm —"

"You can't die yet! I won't have anyone to help me with my math! You can't do this to me." She grabbed his shirt and pulled on it. "We're still working on my Hogwarts Lego set!  You aren't allowed to die 'til we finish that!"

"I'm not dying!"

She paused, still holding his shirt as she brought her face close to his. "You promise?"

"Yes. Can you let go of my shirt? I like this one." As Cinder released him, he sat up to readjust his shirt. "You are really dramatic."

"Well, you hardly care what you wear so what else am I supposed to think?" She glared as he started gathering his clothes. "Do you have like a date or something?" She started laughing at her joke.

Chord froze involuntary, leaning down to pick up a shirt. Panic started bubbling up as his mind started working at light speed.

Date? Was this a date? No, no, there's no way that— But what if it was? No. It couldn't be a date.

Cinder's eyes widened at her cousin's reaction and she squealed. "Wait, you have a date? It's with Scarlett, right?!"

"No! Uh. Well, no! Maybe. . ." Chord stuttered out, "You know what, you can just leave now. You're too young to even think about dating!"

"Chord and Scarlett sitting in a tree!" Cinder sang, jumping on his bed. "Did you ask her? Or did she ask you? There is no way you were brave enough to do it yourself. Have you kissed yet? Does Mom know?"

Chord groaned, burying himself in the clothes in his hands. Why me? I am a good person so why am I subjected to being mocked by a seven-year-old?

"Shut up!" Chord tossed a shirt at her face and she fell back on the bed, bouncing once. "Ohmygod, go finish your homework!"

"What in the world is going on in here?" Shondra stood in the halkay holding a laundry basket, one eyebrow arched. "Chord, you have a hamper for a reason, dear."

"Momma! Chord had a daaattee!!!"

"You little liar! You promised you wouldn't talk!"

"I promised nothing!"

Chord thought back and cursed. Damn it, she didn't. You little sneaky energetic bunny.

Shondra set the basket on his dresser as she came in. "That would definitely explain the pigsty. Wait, I just washed those yesterday." She glared at him, though it wasn't serious. "Is Cinder right? Is my little nephew going on his first date?"

"God, please kill me. Just end my misery." He dropped the clothes in a huff, covering his face.

"I never thought I'd see the day! What outfit are you wearing?"

"It isn't a date!"

"Oh? And why not?"

Chord struggled to get his words together. "Because we aren't dating! Scarlett had an extra ticket and didn't want to waste it! If you two are just gonna tease me, you can leave the room. I'm going to live in my closet from now on." He turned away to go hide, but his aunt grabbing his shoulder stopped him.

In between bits of laughter, she said, "I'm sorry, I'll stop teasing." Clearing her throat, Shondra added, "Is anyone else going?"

He shook his head. "No. Just us."

"Did she make it seem like it was a date?"

Chord wasn't sure. Scarlett seemed quite adamant and looking forward to the movie with him, but at the same time she did admit she asked her other friend if he wanted to go as well. Didn't that mean she didn't see him that way and asked him second?

"I. . .don't know. She seemed she wanted to go, but. . . I wasn't the first one she asked."

He felt his chest tighten at admitting that. It didn't feel good.

Shondra made a noise of thought. "Well, that doesn't necessarily have to mean bad. Did you want this to be a date?"

Chord didn't know how to answer that. A part of him perhaps did, but the other part told him not to bother. What if he treated it like a date and she just wanted to hang out as friends? That would make it awkward for Scarlett. Did he even want it to be one?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro