Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Well, look at that. Beautiful, right?" Zack nudged both of them, looking at the hazy orange blending into the blue above us.

The joy in their faces made me feel bad. It's been a while since we've done something like this. I haven't had the time to take them for a movie or... anything really.

"Yep." Noel beamed and I smiled despite the sudden pang of guilt.

"Hmm, we should come here often." I heard Zack murmur just before my phone started ringing.

I pulled it out to see Sophie's name flashing across the screen. It's been a while since we called, so I really couldn't resist attending it.

"Uh, I've... got a call. You guys carry on, I'll be here somewhere." I showed my phone and Zack smiled at me.

"Sure."

I nervously glanced at Theo and Noel's faces, expecting the classic glare or pout, but they were perfectly okay with it.

I nodded at Zack with a smile and when he turned, I mouthed 'be good' at Noel.

"Sophie," I sighed into the phone.

"Hello, How's everything going?"

"All good. And what about you? Still trying to trap innocent guys?"

"Oh, shut up. You know I'm all bark and no bite." She chirped from the other side and I snorted.

"Yeah. Studies?"

"Don't ask me these stupid questions. Come on, how long it's been! We've loads to talk about. Oh, I've got one to start,"

And then she kept on saying about all their little adventures including how her friends made her trip and fall right in front of a cute guy, whom she was checking out.

"I can't think of it, arrghh! Imagine Ivy, I fell on my face, in an awkward position, in front of my crush!" She yelled.

"Woah, crush?"

"Sorta. You know, I've told about him a few times."

"Oh! Blue shirt one?" I vaguely remember her describing a guy from head to toe. A conversation which started from 'Oh, I saw a guy in a t-shirt which you'd definitely love!'

That conversation did not focus on the said shirt further.

"That's him. I can't look at him now."

"Why? People fall, Sophie."

"Oh, look who's saying. You get embarrassed by everything and you blush for no apparent reason."

"Shut up."

"Yeah, yeah. Tell me about our Ty-ty, saver boy, freaky Sasha and our little skunks."

"Right." I chuckled and gave her the details she craved.

"Next Saturday? Hmm. I know you've gone with him before, but I think you'll need a pep talk. Call me and I'll give you advice on how not to fall awkwardly in front of him." She said and I smiled.

"Yeah, experience counts. And it's not next Saturday, it's this Saturday. I mean, today."

"What? Are you with him right now?" She yelled, hurting my innocent ears and I placed my phone as far away from my ear as I can.

"No, I'm sitting here on the bench. And they're..." I trailed off looking around when I actually remembered them. "...here somewhere."

"Why didn't you tell me, you idiot? I've made you waste, like...oh, shit, 20 minutes. Hang up and hang out, you idiot."

"Boys are with him, he's not alone and we came here for them." I said and heard a sigh.

"Yeah, sure." I heard her snort. "I'm thinking about changing saver boy into lover boy."

If I was drinking something, I swear I would've spit it out.

"Overactive imagination. And I'm pretty sure Sasha would kill you if she hears that."

"Of course not. I'm not the one trying to romance her brother, it's you who she's going to kill. But I'll be the knight in shining armour for you."

There's no point in even bringing up the romancing thing she said, so I ignored it.

"Or what about Tyler? Seduce and dump him. Make him cry."

"God, Sophie. Just shut up, will you?" I sighed, not sure if my cheeks were burning. "Are you drunk?"

"Yeah, I'm high." A beat of silence. "God, Ivy! No, I'm not. You know that. I know you can't tolerate hearing something cute and romantic."

The sinister laugh that followed would haunt someone's dream if they heard it.

"I don't think the word 'seduce' is cute or romantic."

"Yeah, but seducing when- oh, shit. I've managed to waste ten more minutes of your time." She sighed. "Enough is enough. Now go spent time with them."

Even though she was crazy and delusional, I had a smile on my face when she hung up.

And when I looked around again for my people and failed to locate them with my eyes again, I decided to just sit there. Mostly because my legs were too weak to go search for them.

My gaze fell on a few kids, who remained in the park with their parents and a grin took over my face.

Isn't childhood the happiest phase of our life?

"Lost?"

I was a bit startled by the voice, causing me to turn around quickly and hit my elbow on the armrest. Zack didn't seem to notice it so I swallowed the groan.

Now, what was he asking me?

"Umm, Zack?" I looked at him as he sat beside me and he turned to me.

"Yeah?"

"Where's Noel and Theo?"

"With Brandon. His family is close to you, right?" He asked in return.

I nodded. "Did you see him?"

"Yeah, him and his parents. They said they wanted to play with him, I guess that's okay? Because Noel told me he's family and would come back in a minute." And suddenly his face drained of colour. "Dammit. I should've asked you first, right? I'm not ready to take kids out, am I?"

Now that I know they're with Will and Rachel, I managed to smile. "Of course, it's okay. And yeah, they're family."

The sigh of relief that escaped him made me grin wider.

"For a moment, I had this thought that they weren't the real parents and I somehow have given them to a pair of kidnappers." He murmured, closing his eyes and I laughed.

He simply narrowed his eyes until I stopped laughing. Which took me a solid minute.

"They're your neighbours too?" He asked finally and I smiled.

"No, but they don't live too far away from us. It's them who usually take Noel and Theo to school."

"That's good. Since when?"

"For about...four years, I guess." We've known them since Noel was in kindergarten and when they moved to our neighbourhood, our parents decided one ride was enough for three of us.

"So you had someone other than Maria. While you were in school, I mean."

"You sound like I was all by myself." I chuckled and shook my head, "I've got plenty of people. Maria, Marissa, Jake, Brandon and family, Annie..."

"Uh, I didn't mean like that. You know, I just thought, somebody to look after your... Just leave it." He sighed.

"No, I get it." I said with a smile. "And yeah, I had some people."

He just hummed, leaning back to look at the sky.

"Can I ask you something? I know you're a private person, so..." He shrugged, trailing off and I smiled.

Again. For a hundredth time today.

"I'm not. Sophie knows almost every bit of my life." And then I had a thought. "Zack?"

"Yeah?"He slightly tilted his head to my side, eyes still on the sky.

"I didn't tell you guys about mom because I didn't want... you know..."

"Sympathy?" He asked, his gaze finding mine and I shrugged.

"That too. I just didn't want you to picture her as some...evil stepmom type. But she never does anything to us, it's just that she drinks." And possibly use drugs.

"And blissfully ignores her old life and her children?" He continued and that made me silent for a minute. "I'm sorry, I'm coming off like a jerk. But you really shouldn't defend her because...there's nothing to defend."

It was true. Deep down I know she doesn't deserve me defending her but still...I just can't.

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Jesus! Why are you sorry, Evelyn?" He mumbled, turning quickly to face me. "You didn't- It was me, I mean-"

And with a facepalm, he sighed. "God, I suck at this."

Despite the topic of conversation, I felt my mouth tip up.

"How did we reach this topic? Because I swear, whenever we talk about your mom, I feel like a jerk and you visibly crawl back into your little cocoon of self-blame."

Oh. Visibly? Until now I thought I was extremely talented in hiding emotions.

"So...our original theme of this conversation was...?" He narrowed his eyes, staring off into the distance. "Right, Sophie."

We were talking about Sophie? Huh.

"How is it that she's the only friend I've heard you talk about?"

Ah, because she is the only friend that stuck with me.

Apparently, being unavailable for hangouts, sleepovers, trips and pubs meant lame and unfriendly in high school.

"It's all about my high school story, I'm sure you'll be bored."

"Is Tyler playing a role in the story?"

"A minor one."

"I'll pray for the strength then."

And I told him. I told him how I, an introvert, had only a few friends in high school and how Sophie moved away before our junior year.

"One fine day, I saw Tyler bully this girl."

"So he was born a jerk." He raised his eyebrows and I nodded.

"You can say that."

"And? Don't tell me that girl was your friend."

"No, but I had seen her a few times. So, when Tyler and his friend left, I helped her with the books."

I'm ashamed to remember that I was one of those people who watched the bullying and didn't intervene until it was over. Because now I know how it's to be on the other side.

"So that idiot is bothering you because you helped her?" He asked.

"No, she complained about him the next day and got him real good. And Tyler, being the brilliant guy he is, assumed that I talked her into getting him punished."

Oh, the drama. And that too, about nothing.

"Seriously?" He huffed a laugh, a hint of a frown on his face as if he isn't ready to believe that's the reason why I'm Tyler's target.

"What did you do?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Come on." He groaned, making a face similar to Noel's when he loses in charades.

"I saw him after two weeks, I think. After dad's accident. And I didn't really have anything to say to him. My mind was caught up with dad, mom's silent treatment, Theo and other things." I shrugged. "Not that I would've done or said something if that wasn't the case. I was as much of a coward then as I'm now."

"You're not a coward." He scoffed as if it was a silly thought and I felt a sudden urge to hug him.

We both know I am. I mean, if I wasn't, why wouldn't I have asked Tyler to shut up? Or to stop acting like a child?

"You really aren't." Zack once again shook his head. "Come on, you know that, don't you? You do a handful of part-time jobs, take care of your brothers, and handle the responsibility of a house on you. And you manage to study science along with that. That takes courage."

That made me laugh.

"For the record, I take only math and biology in science." Perks of not deciding a major.

"That's more than enough, honey." He mumbled.

Honey. As in me.

"You're no coward. Those things need bravery and courage." He continued. "Especially taking biology. I hate studying about the human body and plants."

Right.

"Well, how's Maria?" He asked a minute later and I turned to face him.

"She's all good. Apologised a lot for not being here sooner."

"I love that woman." He mumbled, a smile flickering across his face and I nodded in agreement.

Maria has that effect on me too.

"Well, my friends are coming. Probably Tuesday, I guess..." He said, dragging my gaze off his bouncing knees.

"That's great." It indeed was great. Anybody could tell that Zack missed his friends like hell. Every time he talks about them, his eyes lights up.

I don't think he knows that. But it's very evident. And cute.

"Yeah..." He nodded a couple of times, savouring the dark around us. "Will you come?"

I turned my eyes away from my lit phone screen and looked at him instead only to see him close his eyes.

"To my home, I mean." He added quickly. "I know you have work, but you can come after you're done. Bring the boys too?" 

I can hear Sophie shouting 'Go, shoo' at me.

"But, Noel and Theo would be left behind." I said and immediately realised what it implied. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean you'll leave them behind. I meant, you know, you should catch up with your friends and we'll be like a-"

"Stop." He placed his hand on top of mine. "They know Noel and Theo very well and are excited to meet you guys"

"Oh, okay."

"Okay? Thanks. It'd be fun." He smiled. "I guess."

I just hope his friends are as nice as him. I can think of a dozen ways by which a couple of cocky guys can humiliate my brothers and make them cry.

"Do you guys come here often?" His voice broke the silence restraining me from sinking deeper into my thoughts.

"Not really. Usually, I don't get time to take them out but we do try. This one is solely because we came here with April." I said and he beamed.

"Yeah? Jealous brothers?" He quirked a brow along with an amused smile and I smiled.

"Not really, they were jealous because I got to come here with you,"

"Me?" He shook his head with a surprised laugh and my phone beeped.

Will: Hey Evelyn, will bring them back in a few minutes. Going to get these three tummies filled with ice cream.

I smiled reading the text Brandon's dad sent me and quickly typed a reply, saying that's perfectly okay with me.

Will: Do not think we will forget to bring you one, we will. And, who's that boy? Will he be with you? Should I make it two?

I chuckled as I typed,

It's Zack, my friend. Yes, we came together and please don't buy anything for us.

"They went to get ice cream." I said to Zack and he nodded.

"So, what shall we do?" He nudged me and I shrugged.

"Should we get ice cream too? Or maybe a latte?" He asked and I nodded.

Of course, it's a yes. I don't know why, but it just is.

And here it is! Forgive everything in this chapter because I wrote it in a go like some of the previous ones.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for reading!😘
Stay safe❤️

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro