Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Oh, hey." I was panting as I moved towards his car.

"Thank God. I thought I'd have to wait here alone." He smiled, eyes roaming around my face and then, frowned.
"Are you okay? Were you running?"

"Yeah. I'm alright." I said as I turned back to take a look at that creepy drunk.

There he came running. But the moment he saw that I was accompanied, he yelled,

"You won't be lucky every day!"

And then, that coward left.

I let out a sigh of relief and turned to meet a pair of narrowed black eyes.

"Why was he talking like that?" He raised his eyebrows, staring at the turn from where he left.

"What are you doing here, Aaron?" I asked him, surprised. I've never seen him here before.

I'm quite lucky that he ended up here! 

He narrowed his eyes and shook his head.

"I'm waiting for a friend. She asked me to wait here somewhere." He replied, pulling out his phone.

"And what are you doing here?" He looked behind me and frowned.

"Oh, I'm heading home after work." I mumbled, hoping he wouldn't ask about the man.

"Get in, I'll drop you home." He said, making me shake my head.

"No, wait for her. I'll be fine." I guess, since he left.

"She's gonna take more time. We can get you home meanwhile." He smiled beckoning me.

"You're a lifesaver." I said, every single word of it, true.

"What are friends for?" He blinked, smiling as he started the engine.

I thanked Aaron and invited him into our house, but since his friend was waiting he left after a brief chat with the boys.

When I said I didn't feel like eating today, Noel came to me with worried eyes.

"Is everything okay, Ivy?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. I just ate with Jake is all." I forced a smile, ruffling his hair.

But he knows. He always does.

Sleep didn't bless me that day. I was lying on my bed, thinking about everything that man said.

Why was she doing this? When will she stop taking money from these stupid people and spare me from all of these dramas?

After hours of spiralling these thoughts in my mind, it finally made sense.

She knew it way before, didn't she? Asking me to come home early, to be safe. Everything!

I don't know if I should be angry about the fact that she knew it was coming or be a bit relieved that she did care, even if it was only for a moment.

And somewhere between the edge of crying and fuming over it, I closed my eyes, hoping to sleep.

~~~

"Ivy!"

"What?" I stopped running and turned back as Theo called.

He pulled me down and placed a kiss on my cheek.

Well, that's great medicine.

I smiled, ruffling his hair and continued to run.

"Say a bye from me to Noel." I called out and heard an 'okay' from him.

I can't believe the three of us slept in. Well, it's bound to happen when you don't sleep until three in the morning.

I hope Noel would shower faster and they won't end up being late.

I was half sleepy as I explained some of the chemical equations to Kate. The time went so slow that I actually made sure my watch is working. And by the second hour of the class started, I was completely exhausted.

"I'm feeling extremely energetic today!" Sasha beamed, grabbing her lunch.

"It's quite the opposite for me." I yawned, filling my stomach.

"Have you started the assignment yet?"

"Not really." I didn't feel like doing it yesterday.

"Good. Me too." She winked but the expression soon turned into a glare.

"What?" I followed her gaze and met Zack.

And the next moment, I knew why she was glaring because it caught my eyes too.

A brunette, whose name I definitely don't remember, is almost on Zack's lap and has her hands all over his arms. The whole table was laughing at something but she was just using the opportunity to get closer to him.

"Arms, okay. But I swear I'll make her regret if she decides to proceed further." Sasha growled and I found myself agreeing to it by nodding.

"Dumbass. Just look at him, can't he see that she's all over him? Shouldn't he move away from her?" She shook her head, annoyed. "It's a relief that I know he actually likes someone else or I would've thought he's into this girl." She sighed.

Oh, yeah, right.

I turned and saw her watching me.
"What?"

"Nothing. You look like you need a nap." She smiled and I gave her a nod.

"That," I smiled, grabbing my bag. "Is true."

"So going to sleep, then?" She asked, chuckling as I walked away.

"Most probably, yes."

I went to the library and settled at the least visible spot, grabbing a book.
I could read only one page before the letters went blurry. So, I just let my head rest on the table and tried to sleep. But couldn't.

Ugh, this is pure torture. Why can't I sleep when all I need is sleep?

I opened my eyes and turned left to see Tyler, who was seriously reading something.

Now, that's a rare thing.

He really was reading. Oh, and making notes too. Wow, he really must have been failing then.

I smiled at the scene of him growl in frustration. He was almost good now, except the bullying. I hope he'll stop his rude behaviour and be friendly to everyone, like he's to me now.

The sound of the bell made me grab my stuff and head to the math class. And to my great pleasure, the teacher wasn't present and I found myself sleeping for a good two hours until Sasha woke me up and grabbed me to the next class.

"Today was a good day." Sasha smiled, stretching her hands.

"Yeah, I'm sure Evelyn's was. A good tight sleep, wasn't it?" Zack smirked, driving and I looked at him, confused.

"Oh, yeah. If I didn't woke her up, she would've missed lit." Sasha chuckled, nudging me. "Who told you?"

"I saw myself." He shrugged, still smiling.

"You were in my calculus class?" I frowned. I didn't see him.

Oh wait, I was sleeping. I mentally facepalmed myself.

"Yup. I had to see one of your classmates and you were sleeping there, peacefully." He smiled, looking at me through the mirror.

"And hey, dad is already asking when you're coming next." Sasha smiled at me as Zack agreed.

"Tell him I said hello and that I'll visit soon."

"There you go." Zack sighed as we reached the cafe.

"Bye." I said to them and joined Marissa in waiting for Jake in boredom.

Finally, when he arrived, he had this french pastries with him, which we together real quick and later, somehow ended up rating the schoolgirls' outfits.

"That one is a solid eight out of ten." She smiled, pointing at the girl, wearing a miniskirt and a crop top.

"That girl right over there is a four." She grimaced.

"Why? For me, it's a nine." Jake frowned.

"Nine? You're insane. That dress is total shit." She shook her head and Jake smirked.

"Language." He imitated her, earning a smack. "From a guy's view, that dress is captivating." He smirked again.

"I don't think I want to hear anymore." I chuckled as she left, rolling her eyes.

"Your phone is ringing." She called out and Jake rushed to get in.

"Probably Hailey." He mumbled.

Since there were only a few people left in the cafe, Marissa took care of their orders and left me to do my work. I was trying to write more about pride and prejudice when Jake came back.

"Do you know that guy?" He asked me pointing outside the cafe.

I gulped down as I saw the same creepy drunk man from yesterday, leaning against a pole, outside.

"Looks like he's waiting for somebody. And also, I can see him struggling to stay still." He said and I met his frown.

"He ran behind me yesterday, I don't know why." I said.

I do know why.

"What? What did you do?" He sat in front of me, his frown deepening.

"One of my friends was at the next turn. This guy ran away as soon as he saw him."

"And you're saying it now?" His jaw clenched tight as he glared at me.

"It's okay, he said mom owes him money. Probably he'll leave if I pay him and I'm planning to ask for an early payment today." I assured him.

"He-" Jake turned from me, pointing to the guy, "-might be a drunk idiot. But you're even more stupid to think that." He shook his head, still glaring.

"Why didn't you tell me? Am I the only one who didn't know about it?"

"No, the opposite." I sighed and he shook his head again.

"Now, hear this thing. Anything related to your mom's drunk stupid friends, say it to someone. Anyone. Me or Marissa or anyone. Maybe the friend you mentioned."

I nodded at him, rolling my eyes and he smiled, turning to grab his bag.
"First time, I got to scold you for something reasonable." He said and I couldn't help but chuckle.

I always loved Jake's ability to make people laugh even when they weren't in a great mood.

"Help me." He sort of commanded and I rolled my eyes.

"Why should I? my shift is over."

"Help me or I won't help you when you babysit." He smirked.

But it was him, who did all his works. I just sat there watching him do it and he didn't really care about it.

"I need water." He panted like a dog as Marissa gave him some.

"Now shall we leave?" She asked and we gave a nod.

"I thought Tyler would be coming today." Marissa said and I shook my head with a smile.

"Not at all, he's working hard on something. Was frantically searching for some book today." I chuckled, but it vanished as soon as I saw Jake smirking at me with narrowed eyes.

"What?"

"Nothing. Looks like you know too much about him."

"Shut up." I pulled his hair, with Marissa's help and we annoyed him for a few more minutes before her bus came and she left.

I could see that creep standing a few feet apart from us, his eyes on me.

"Good night, Jakey." I mumbled as my bus came.

"Night."

But instead of waiting for his bus, I found him getting in my bus.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm dropping you." He shrugged with a smug smile.

"That's insane. You've to go the opposite way."

I can't let him come to my home and then travel all the way back to café and then to his home.

"So? Did you tell me about that man?" He raised his eyebrows and I sighed.
"That's it."

"I was going to,"

"Good." He replied emotionlessly and I struggled a bit to cheer him.

And finally, we stepped out of the bus only to be accompanied by a third person.

"This is him, right?" He whispered as I looked back to confirm.

"Yes."

He suddenly stopped and turned back,
"How much does she owe you?"

He certainly wasn't expecting that, like me.

"It doesn't matter." He replied coldly.

"Well, it does. If you're going to follow her like a dog, we sure have to settle it."  Jake shrugged.

"You thought bringing your little boyfriend would scare me away?" He raised his eyebrows at me, or more like tried raising them and then smiled, "You're wrong, honey."

"Shut the fuck up, you asshole. Honey my ass." Jake said with an annoying face and turned to me,

"Did he just call me little?" He whispered to me and I could feel the smile crawling up despite the situation.

"Look, you're almost her father's age and I very well know your intentions. So just back out, okay?" He calmly said and gestured me to walk.

"I'll wait." He yelled as we walked.

"Fine. Wait till you die." Jake mumbled.

And then, he left. Again.

Seems like he only talks to me when we're in that empty, lonely street.

"Aren't you coming in?" I asked as I knocked on the door.

"No, next time maybe."

"Ivy!" Noel opened the door and his eyes went wide on seeing Jake.

"Jake!"

"Hey, buddy! I know it's been a long time." He hugged Noel as he called Theo,

"Theo! Jake's here."

The moment he heard Jake's name, Theo came running like a machine.

"Jakey!" He squealed as I chuckled.

"What's up, pandas." He struggled, handling both of them.

"Let's play?" Theo asked hopefully and I looked at Jake.

"I really want to, but can't." He glanced at his watch and pulled Noel's cheek, walking away.

"I need to be home fast. I have dinner with my dad's friend and his family today. Have to join them at least for dessert." He didn't turn back and I stood there gaping at him.

Need to be home fast? And here he is. I'm sure he won't make it to dessert.

"Shit, forgot." He came back jogging,
"Just wait for two days. Jonah's out of the town and car's with him. So two days and then I'll drop you every day." He turned back.

"In MY car." He added.

"Don't boast, Jake. Me and you, very well know your mom won't allow it." I chuckled.

"No, It's been more than a year! One accident doesn't mean I can't drive. Besides, we need a car. Bye." He called out as he walked away.

I know the need he mentioned, is mine. Not his.

Well, it's official. I have two little brothers and a big one. My big brother, who's bouncing on his way to join a dinner which started an hour ago.

I'm blessed to have him. Blessed to have many people who care about me.

Who's alone, mom?

Because I certainly am not. You maybe surrounded by hundreds of people, but none of them cares about you.

I wish you'd understand that.

🎶Dial tone, nothing but that high note
When you speak 'cause I don't listen when you talk! 🎶

It was the song that first popped up from my playlist today and I've spent most of the day singing and humming it. Ah! Iove the tune🥰

I wonder what'd be tomorrow's 🥳

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro