~10~

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

~Kunmi~

We just finished our second CA and I was still surprised at how fast the term was. It seemed like yesterday when I resumed and now exams start in three weeks and Aminah's party was in two weeks. My dread kept growing as the day to her party drew nearer just as Aminah's excitement grew. We were on our way to the cafeteria and she was going on and on about how she couldn't wait for the party.

"My mom throws birthday parties for me every year but this year is very special. Do you know why?"

She asked, turning her head sideways to look at me. I shook my head.

"Because it's my 16th birthday. My sweet Sixteen. I've been looking forward to my Sweet Sixteen since I watched Mara's Sweet Sixteen party about 6 years ago. I really can't believe my party is in two weeks."

I smiled as she gave a dramatic sigh that attracted the attention of the students close to us. Kunle and Sophia that were walking in front of us even looked back. Kunle winked at her and Sophia only looked at her blankly before they both faced their front again. I already gave up on figuring Sophia out. She was a hard nut to crack.

"God. I really can't wait. Trust me, you're going to enjoy the party."

I smiled even though my insides were churning. I don't understand how someone would love parties like that. She reminded me of Mayowa, she was never home on Fridays and Saturdays; it was always one hang out after the other, one party after the other.

Sophia laughed at something Kunle must have said and the latter threw his hands around her shoulders. She shrugged him off while still laughing. I subconsciously turned to look at Aminah. She was also looking at the duo. I sincerely wondered how she handle her boyfriend being that close to another girl; a girl who seemed to dislike her. Kunle and Sophia were so close that one would think they were dating but I've seen Kunle with Aminah so I knew better.

We sat down at a table of six after ordering our food. Adam wasn't with us; he left the class immediately the teacher we had before lunch break left and that was like 30 minutes ago.

"Where is Adam?"

Aminah asked as if she read my thoughts and I was internally grateful towards her because left to me, I would never have asked.

"He must be holed up in the Arts studio."

Kunle replied her and his hands reached out to steal from her plates, she slapped his hands away, a playful and teasing look on her face.

"Steal from Sophia's plate if you want to steal someone's food."

"Nah, it's from yours I want."

And they continued their cute banter. Aminah ended up moving from her seat and he followed her.

"I have to go and see Gabriella for something. I'll meet you guys in class."

That was Sophia and the duo paused their hanky panky to look at her. Kunle frowned and he stared at her almost untouched food, then to her face again.

"But you've not even eaten anything."

She shrugged as she stood up, a distant look in her eyes.

"I don't have an appetite and besides, you know Spag isn't my type of food."

She did not wait for anybody's reply before she stood up and walked out of the cafeteria. Kunle stared at her retreating back before he focused his attention back on his food.

"But is she alright?" Aminah asked Kunle who was now toying with his food. He did not reply to her immediately and when she touched his arms, he jumped and that made it obvious that he did not hear what she said.

"You zoned out. Are you sure you're okay? And what's up with Sophia? She has never left in the middle of a meal."

He shrugged and muttered something I did not hear before he started to eat again. Aminah looked up at me and smiled but lunch got awkward.

Sophia never talk during lunch and I couldn't help but wonder why lunch was now awkward because of her.

~Adam~

"You might as well become a brush or a paint with the number of hours you spend in this studio."

I did not even need to turn back to know it was Sophia. It was still lunch break and I fleetingly wondered why she wasn't in the cafeteria or garden.

"With the amount of time you spend snapping pictures, you might as well become a picture."

She burst into laughter as she drew a stool closer to me and she sat on it.

"What a comeback! What are you drawing anyway? What could you possibly be drawing that made you skip lunch?" She asked, peering at the paper.

"Kids playing under the rain!?"

I did not even know if it was a question or a statement but I nodded anyway and she looked at me before looking at the dashboard in the studio. I knew what she was looking at, it was the theme for the week. She looked back at me, brows raised.

"The theme is childhood and the Adams I know would be painting one twisted and sad picture of childhood trauma so why are you drawing a picture of happy children playing in the rain?"

I burst into laughter.

"See how you make it seem like I'm some sort of twisted teenager who likes sad things."

She shrugged before stretching her arms akimbo.

"This is not for the theme. This is for another project. The Christmas/End of the year project."

"Oh." Her eyes rounded in understanding. Cresent High always visits Orphanages to donate stuff before vacating for the first term break.

"So, it's because this picture is going to small children, that's why you're trying to convey happiness?"

I shrugged. "Partially. An Orphanage is already a sad place, why should they hang a sad picture there?"

"So a happy place should hang a sad picture? That's very twisted."

I swallowed and turned to look at her. Her brows were furrowed in concentration as she stared at the unfinished painting

"You're making it sound like I only draw sad things or people?"

My voice jerked her out of her reverie and she turned to look at me, her expression soothing. I don't always set out to draw sad things but I always draw them anyway. Drawing is like my other half, the least I could do is to be true to it.

"70% of your arts are sad. I'm just stating the obvious ni."

I rolled my eyes. See someone that I was expecting to say something sensible.

Shey, your self get sense?

Well, you're all senseless

I burst into laughter and Sophia joined in even though she probably did not know why I was laughing.

"Why are you here anyway? Shouldn't you and Kunle be eating?"

"Kunle, Aminah, and Kunmi. We have a crowd now."

I rolled my eyes as I picked up the brush to continue painting.

"You should follow Kunle's advice. You need to learn the art of making friends."

"I'm okay with the two friends I have."

"A female friend."

"I have Gabriella."

I shook my head and I felt my lips stretching into a smile.

"Gabriella doesn't count. She's your cousin."

She dragged a low hiss. "You have wahala. I don't want any female friend."

I shook my head and we fell into a comfortable silence. The only sound that could be heard was the swift sound of my brush on the graphite paper and the distant chatters of students.

"Hey Coz, I've been looking for you."

It was Gabriella and Sophia turned back to look at her as she entered the studio, the ever-present smile on his face.

"And I've been looking for you too. Where were you?"

"I was reading in the library. Exams are fast approaching."

Sophia made a tsk tsk sound with her mouth and I felt my lips stretching into a smile. I had an idea what she was going to say and she did not disappoint me.

"Gabriella, exams are not starting till four weeks. God! Stop reading like your life depends on it."

Gabriella dragged another stool and she sat closer to Sophia, more like in front of her so they'd be looking at each other.

'You'd be surprised at how time would fly. Doesn't it seem like yesterday when we resumed?"

"Ko matter joor. You want mom to have my head when you ace all your subjects again?"

"That's my intention."

Sophia hissed before tapping the roof of her mouth with her tongue.

"You're a bully."

Gabriella made a mock bow and muttered; "It's an honor."

Sophia burst into laughter and I smiled too. I've always envied her relationship with Sophia. They seem to flow effortlessly together. I used to have this same relationship with Charles until I started to feel I had to put a huge distance between us.

"Are you going to attend Aminah's party?"

Sophia asked and Gabriella answered in less than a heartbeat.

"Of course not, I'm the antisocial chick, remember?"

My hands stilled around the brush and I had a feeling she wasn't attending the party because she was antisocial. Aminah had invited the whole class to her party earlier today.

"Ode, you better get a life. I don't understand why someone would rather spend the day reading instead of attending a party."

"I'd rather sleep." I chipped in and Sophia glared at me.

"Your case is hopeless. Just keep drawing. You're the kuku the next Laolu."

I raised my eyebrows at her and Gabriella smiled.

"So you're attending the party?"

"In all Sophia's full glory," Sophia answered and without looking at her, I knew she must have demonstrated by dragging her two hands down the entire length of her body.

"Wow. Who would have thought this day would come? You are attending Aminah's..."

Gabriella's voice trailed off and from the corners of my eyes, I could see Sophia shushing her.

Now, that pretty much confirms that Sophia probably had an issue with Aminah, one that Kunle and I had no idea about.

We heard the sound of the bell and Gabriella jumped to her feet. The next subject was Mathematics and I was sure she did not want the teacher to get to the class before her. I shook my head. She's just too serious for her good.

"Uncle Painter, let's go to our class."

I looked at her with a silly frown on my face. Uncle Painter?

"Aunty Model, I'll join you in a minute."

She glared at me before she walked out of the studio with Gabriella and I shook my head after her.

~Kunmi~

We just finished assembly and all the students were talking in loud whispers with voices full of excitement and happiness. I was sort of happy too because the principal just announced that we'd be going for an excursion during the 4th week of the second term.

"Babe, Cresent never jokes with the excursion. It's always part of our activities for each academic year."

Aminah said, nudging me with her elbow as we started climbing the stairs to the 3rd floor.

"Wow. We only go on excursions once in two years in my former school."

She sighed dramatically.

"Cresent High is not like that at all. Senior students, SS1 and SS2 even attend AIESEC-oriented Conferences in the third term. That's like the main fun."

"Oh wow."

"Our school is very interesting though their rules get overbearing at times overall, they make sure we have mad fun here."

I nodded. I really couldn't agree more.

We got to our class then and our first teacher, the stern-looking man who teaches us mathematics was already in class. More than 90% of the class groaned as we entered.

"It's a free world. You're always free to leave the class."

More grumbles and low hisses. Someone even muttered; "What a way to start a nice morning with boring mathematics class."

Mr. Rasaq cleared his throat noisily.

"As I said earlier, you are free to leave this class. I'm sure your parents are paying that huge amount of money for you to complain about what most kids out there are dying to get."

More grumbles and grunts before we all fell into complete silence. Only Mr. Rasaq's voice could be heard as he tried to explain how to find the missing X.

X has gone missing since primary school. It's high time we just gave up on it.

Our 6th period was Government and our teacher was absent. Adams left the class immediately the class rep announced that the teacher was absent and I knew he was probably going to the Arts studio. Only God knows why he enjoys going there that much. Students clustered around, discussing in twos and threes and Aminah wasted no time in coming over to my seat. She sat on the chair in front of me with her huge child-like grin on her face.

She's just like a child.

"Hmm, let's not waste the next 45 minutes doing nothing. Should I use this period to give you a proper tour around the school?"

I was about to reply when she clapped her hands together as if she just got a brilliant idea.

"You've not been to our Arts Gallery, right? That's like the finest place in this school."

She grabbed my hands and started dragging me out of the classroom before I could even say anything.

"The gallery isn't always opened but Adam should have the keys with him so we'll just ask him for the keys."

We descended the stairs and started walking towards where the music studio was. I've come to realize all the studios and laboratories were built beside each other but I've never actually seen the Arts studio and it's even beside the music studio.

See yourself. You better start paying attention to your surroundings.

Someone stepped out of the Studio as we approached it and the person started walking towards us. It was Alex, the fine but mute guy. He walked past us without a simple nod in our direction and I blurted out my thoughts without thinking twice.

"Why aren't you friends with him?'

Aminah was like everybody's sweetheart and apart from Sophia who has a problem with her, everybody likes her. Well, except this guy.

'I don't talk with just anybody....'

I frowned and she threw my arms around my shoulders as we entered the studio.

"But you aren't just anybody. You're my very good friend."

The frown was immediately replaced by a smile and she led me to the far end of the hallway of the space that was supposed to be Arts Studio. She opened the door that had the inscription; Visual Arts Studio above it and we entered. A startled Adam looked behind him at the sound of the door opening and I couldn't make out his expression when he saw us. But he looked displeased at the fact that his drawing was being disrupted. Aminah mustn't have noticed or she probably always decide to overlook things like this as she walked further into the studio. I followed her.

"Hey Adam, well-done."

He mumbled a reply and he went back to his drawing. I couldn't make out what he was drawing because it all looked blurry to me.

"Hey. Can you just give me the key to the gallery? I just want to show Kunmi around."

Her voice was low when she said this and I smiled because she doesn't have a reason to lower her voice. Adam did not say anything for a while as he focused his attention on shading a particular space in whatever he was drawing. I glanced around the studio briefly. All the canvas that was set up had unfinished drawings and there were few artworks on the wall. I can't even draw a fork to save my life.

And you wanted to pick Visual Arts over Music?

The voice was stern, almost mocking and I had to close my eyes as if that would shit the voice out. When I opened them again, Adam was on his feet.

"I'll just open the door for you. Mr. Adiza is not a fan of people walking around in the gallery so you guys have to be careful."

Aminah's reply was instant and her voice was filled with giddiness.

"Of course."

We walked out of the studio and Adam stopped in front of another door. He inserted the key and started turning it when someone's phone vibrated. It was Aminah's.

"Hello, Ma. Yes, Ma. Okay, Ma. I'll be on my way."

She dropped the call and I watched as a frown creased her forehead.

"That was our gym instructor. She wants me to do something for her. Adam, sorry for disturbing you. Kunmi, I'll just show you some other time.."

"I'll show her."

My head jerked towards Adam. He was looking at Aminah whose eyes kept flicking from me to Adam.

'I know you are busy. We'll just come back some other time.'

He shook his head.

"Don't worry, you should go and see the instructor."

Aminah looked uncertain for a while before she nodded slowly. She smiled at me before she walked out of the hallway.

I turned to look at Adam who was holding the door, he cocked his head to one side, signaling for me to enter.

I entered, with one major thought in my mind.

Why is he so nice to me?

Late update again. I'm so sorry 🙏 🙏. I keep getting ideas for the later chapters and not the beginning. Don't mind me. I'm just hungry for love scenes 😂😂😂😅😅

Why do you think Adams is so nice to Kunmi? Tell me so I'll tell her in the next chapter.

What do you think of the chapter?

So Sophia and Aminah seem to have an issue Kunle and Adams don't know. What do you think it could be? Drop your conspiracy theories.

We had more of Gabriella in this chapter. What do y'all think of her? and we had a brief glimpse into Alex Unusual too 😂😂

If you're still looking for X, my heart goes out to you. It's not easy. That X is a mother fucking bastard. We can't find it. Let's just forget it. It's unfindable 😂😂😂

I'm hungry for love scenes but we can't even have them anytime soon 😭😭. Lemme goan cry in my room 😭😭😭.

Till Friday. We have Aminah's party to plan.

The star button below is attractive so just click on it.

Till next time ❤️❤️💝😘

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro