~21~

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Dedicated to UjuritaElliana you've been here since the days of BTGOL having 20 reads and 5 votes and you blowing up my notifications with tens and tens of comments and you're still here. I couldn't have asked for a better person to start the journey with. Thank you 😩😩♥️♥️♥️♥️💋💋💋😍💋💋

And yes, I won some categories at the Nigerian Readers Choice Awards 💃💃💃💃. My Jade even won best female lead 😩😩, even after all her wahala 😂😂. Thank you for voting, for sticking by. I wouldn't be here without you guys 🤗🤗♥️♥️😩

~Adam~

We went to the farthest corner of the Art Gallery. Most of my paintings weren't there and they were mostly happy pictures, sketches, and all by secondary school students. Nothing deep or overly intriguing. It's kinda exhausting to look at too happy pictures.

It's kind of depleting.

And not exactly depicting.

Kunmi had not exactly said a thing since we got here, just looking at the pictures and following my lead.

"This is yours."

She stated all of a sudden, almost startling me and I turned to look at the painting that she was talking about. It was a picture of a teenage boy staring out of his window, far into the horizon, at the setting sun. It was t I couldn't remember when I drew the picture or the inspiration behind it.

"Yes but then, how do you know that? It doesn't even have a label."

She moved a bit backward so her back was to the opposite wall. I found myself doing the same.

"I don't know." She replied with a shrug. "It just reminded me so much of your other works and then......."

I nodded slowly, even though I really couldn't pinpoint how this particular painting look similar to my other painting. If anything, they looked a lot different.

"And the boy looks sad."

She continued and I turned sideways to look at her before looking at the picture again.

"He's not sad, he's just a boy looking at the sunset

She said nothing for a while and I continued to stare at the painting, trying to remember the story behind it but I couldn't remember. I drew it a long time ago.

"It looks like that at first but looking closely, it looks like a boy trying to escape from something, anything."

Her voice was wistful and she hugged herself

I frowned because the picture did not remind me of anything similar to that but then, I also distinctly remembered when I made the painting. It was after one of those moments when dad had left mom battered in their room and I'd remained in mine, too terrified to leave my room and yet, wanting so badly to leave but I'd not. Instead, I'd stared at the sun setting under it was pitch black and mom had called me downstairs for dinner, all covered up and her ever huge smile on her face.

It was thinking about it now that made me realize the reason behind the picture and what the picture means. All this while, I've always thought of it as something else.

How does she even know this?

"But I'm might be wrong. You're the artist, so you should know better."

She said, her tone changing, lighter than it'd sounded before.

No, you're not wrong. You couldn't have been more right.

"I really can't say. I made this piece a long time ago."

I saw her nod through the corners of my eyes and she said nothing else. For a long moment, we both said nothing, and I was lost in my thoughts.

Thoughts a little bit disoriented, suddenly feeling a bit claustrophobic and edgy. I wasn't used to vulnerability but the fact she'd looked at a single painting of mine and successfully guessed the story behind it made me a little bit vulnerable.

And I wasn't sure that I liked that feeling.

And to even think that it was a story that I've successfully pushed to the back of my mind. I turned to look at her again, she had a forlorn look on her face and she was still staring intently at the piece of painting.

"You know.." She started, before trailing off again. "I like your works even though they're a little bit disorienting and they're always like a punch to my stomach."

I chuckled and leaned further back against the wall.

"Should I take that as a compliment?"

"I'm not even exactly sure what it is but it's something close to a compliment."

"I'll take it as one then."

She chuckled lightly and I tilted my head sideways to look at her, utterly fascinated by the sound.

"So, do you like anything else? Apart from drawing, do you have passion for any other thing?"

"No."

It was as simple as that. Basketball, football, running and every other thing were just hobbies. They don't fill a void in me as drawing does. I could go on for days without playing football, basketball, or even running but drawing, I was always doing that. It's my sanctuary, my only safe space.

"I enjoy listening to music though."

She turned to look at me, eyes lighting up, big smiles, excitement and all, and startling me with how pretty she looked.

Figured out she looks prettier when she's excited.

So, you think she's pretty?

Yes, definitely. Absolutely!!

I swear, I could see my subconscious wiggling its eyebrows at me. I'd gladly exchange this subconscious of mine for a set of charcoal pencils.

"Really?"

"Yes. Is it surprising?"

"Not exactly. I just never thought of you as a music person."

"Oh, maybe not a music person as such but I still listen to music a lot. Most times, when I'm drawing."

Most times, to drown the voices in my head.

I guess the second reason is the major reason.

"You like listening to music too?"

I asked and when she said nothing for a while, I turned to look at her. Her eyes were fixed on the painting again and the forlorn look was back. When she finally answered, her voice was barely above a whisper.

"Yes, it's my sanctuary."

~Kunmi~

"I know that look."

Someone said behind me and I turned back, momentarily dazed because I'd thought I was the one in the music studio so I wasn't expecting anybody to talk. Our music class had ended earlier than usual and while others had exited the studio, excited for the lunch break. I'd remained on my seat, reminiscing over the good old days. I never knew that someone else wa in there with me.

And the fact that it was that boy.

Wait, what? hold up! This guy just spoke?

"And I know that new look."

He said with a casual smile and a shrug as he got to me and he sat beside me not so casually as if he'd done that a thousand times.

"Do you like to play the piano?"

He asked and I frowned, wondering where that was coming.

And the fact that he was talking. Wasn't he supposed to be mute or something? I looked at him suspiciously just as he leaned closer to whisper something in my ears.

"I can talk but then, at times, it gets too tasking to talk so I had to resort to another option."

He said and leaned back, amusement dancing in his eyes. It seemed like this school had a thing for weird students. Sophia, the queen of weirdness, Senior Junior, Ezekiel, and now, this original weirdo.

I don't think I'd be able to keep up with all this weirdness.

"You've been staring at the piano for a couple of minutes now. It's been long since the class ended and you never left."

Someone has been in here with me the whole time? I thought everybody left.

"It sucks when you want to do something but the whole universe is against you doing that thing."

I looked at him with undisguised interest, wondering what next he was going to say and the fact that he had been asking and answering his questions all this while.

"But in the end, it's what you want that matters."

He continued, undeterred by my muteness.

"or not."

He continued again, this time, his voice masking with something like forlornness. I stood up, edgy because the last thing I needed was to start talking about music with someone, especially someone this weird.

The door opened the exact moment I stood up and Aminah stuck her head in.

"Babes, you were here. It's lunch break and......"

She trailed off when she realized that Alex was beside me and I watched as her eyebrows raised questions. I looked at the guy, who had his arm folded around his chest, and looking at Aminah, his lips curved into a sardonic smile.

Looks like I've found a match for Sophia.

He then stood up, hands in his pocket and he turned to look at me before walking out. He paused midway to the door, raised his right hand above his head and he muttered,

"See you around, comrade."

Com wetin? My lips stretched into a smile before I could stop myself. Weird people everywhere.

"You made a new friend? Do you guys share the same passion or something? And comrade?"

Three questions in a single breath. That's Aminah.

"He's just one weird person."

I replied to her just as I joined her by the door and we started walking towards the cafeteria.

"But I thought he was mute. You said he was mute."

She said nothing for a while and I turned to look at her, amidst all the excitement of lunch break from the students milling around.

"He likes to play mute so I just forget most times that he can talk."

What? Why would any right-thinking person like to play mute?

Feeling an incredible need to turn back, I did just that only to see him leaning against the wall of the music studio. He smiled when our eyes met and he raised his left hand as if in acknowledgment. I turned back.

What a weirdo!

The heat was around the corner so sports practice got a little bit intensified. All the houses were practicing their events. The red house was practicing their track event and we all gathered around to watch them. Aminah and one senior guy were at the beginning of the track and they were warming up. Sophia and Adam were standing beside me, Sophia's arms were crossed over her chest and her expression was blank as she stared at Aminah. I couldn't tell if she was looking at her with hate or disgust or everything in between. Aminah told me she and Sophia were the fastest girls in the senior class and it has always been a tough competition between them. I guessed that was one of the reasons why Sophia did not like Aminah.

Their coach blew the whistle and off they went, running towards the finish line. I held my breath as they neared the finish line. Aminah came first and I released a shaky breath. I looked up to see Sophia looking at me and was that a little smile playing on the corners of her lips?

She opened her mouth, about to say something when someone threw their arms around her shoulders and that drew her attention away from me. It was Kunle.

"Looks like my girlfriend got a little bit faster than you."

That was the first thing he said and I looked at Sophia's face, trying to gauge her reaction. It gave nothing away, if anything, it was blank, almost eerie.

"Well, you can't say. I'm winning this year sha."

She replied grimly, her face set into a grimace.

"Your determination ehn. It's just sport na."

"What's worth doing at all is worth doing well."

"Babe ehn. Why can't you just follow Adam's principle? In life, we win some, we lose some."

"My words. Why are bringing that into your conversation?"

Adam said, drawing our attention to him.

"Ogbeni, calm down, we can't even tap from your philosophy again?"

"Don't even mind him. Winsome, lose some and he'd never allowed me to outrun him. He's always hell-bent on winning our races. Rubbish."

Sophia said with a snort, earning a chuckle from Adam.

"So, you're saying I should intentionally let you win?"

"What are best friends for?"

She replied again and she probably subconsciously or consciously leaned backward into Kunle's chest.

"That's not even logical. Abi Kunmi?"

Hmm? He was looking at me and my lungs were suddenly devoid of air.

"What would Kunmi pick your side? It's Girl code na."

Sophia said, beating me to whatever it is I would have said. She was looking at me with a little twinkle in her eyes.

"Hey, Guys."

Aminah said behind us, panting, her hands on her knees. I watched as Sophia slowly disintegrate herself from Kunle and she stretched her water bottle to Aminah, who looked genuinely surprised by the gesture, her eyes a little bit huge as she collected the bottle.

"You've gotten faster."

Sophia said plainly, arms now crossed over her chest and I couldn't tell if she was sizzling Aminah up or not.

"Yeah. Constant practice, I guess."

The latter replied to her after drinking the last drop of the water.

By now, the sports practice was over and the students were already walking towards the academic block.

"So, you did not show up for the basketball training last weekend?"

Aminah asked Sophia once we started walking towards the main building. She was walking beside Kunle who had his arms around her waist as if supporting her as she walked.

"Yes. I practiced with someone else."

"Someone else? Who?"

Kunle asked and his voice had an edge to it. An edge I couldn't fathom.

"Just one guy from the gym I work out at."

The latter replied and Kunle was about to say something else before Aminah pulled him away from us. Probably to show or tell him something. Adam was walking in front of us, earpiece in ears.

From the corners of my eyes, I could see Sophia glancing at Aminah and Kunle with Aminah whispering things to the former and him smiling like a love-struck teenager.

See these kids.

Sophia was biting the inside of her cheeks and she looked like someone who was battling a lot of internal conflicts. A tiny part of my heart ached for her, knowing that she has to watch the guy she likes, like another person, watching them 5 days a week, acting all lovey-dovey and all. I couldn't even start to imagine being in a situation like that. Life is already hard as it is, a messy love life would just make everything harder.

"Have you ever liked someone?"

She asked me suddenly, shocking me and jolting me out of my reverie. I turned sideways to look at her, eyebrows raised. I wondered the kind of relationship we shared for her to ask me that kind of question. She was staring straight ahead, her expression blanks as if she wasn't the one that talked just now.

"I've liked someone." She continued, her voice wistful and her eyes darting sideways to look at Aminah and Kunle.

"And that shii hurts."

She continued, arms wrapping around herself like armor. Gone was the stoic and almighty Sophia. Right now, she looked vulnerable and a little bit sad and broken. I'd pick stoic Sophia over this Sophia.

Because I'd probably relate more with this Sophia and probably like herself. And I don't want that. Everything with Sophia was already as confusing as it was, becoming closer with her wouldn't help anything.

"It's not even about liking someone and the person not liking you back. It's about the other things. Like you not knowing whether what you're about to do would end up hurting them or....."

She trailed off and she released a shaky breath, leaving me to my thoughts, my now disarrayed thoughts. I did not even know what she baffling about but from her tone, it wasn't something good and I have an idea it's much more than her liking Kunle and her dislike for Aminah.

Or probably envy.

"I don't know. I should probably just not do anything, right?"

She turned to look at me as if she was expecting me to say something. What would I say? I hardly understand what she was saying self.

Getting involved or entangled in any kind of friendship or relationship with a girl like Sophia was something I'd loved to avoid but it was just basically impossible to ignore her.

Not with the way she was always everywhere, her presence announcing itself even before entering a room, she walks as if she owned the whole place and dared everybody to challenge her queendom.

And her eyes that always seems to say;

I don't give a fuck.

Sophia 🥂🤦‍♂️

This is probably my shortest chapter. I just feel the need to end it at this scene. The next chapter would make up for it.

I tried to drag the ship but even with the help of the terrestrial gods and the Orishas, the ship refused to budge. It wants to arrive at its own time and who am I to question the gods?? But don't worry, it's going to be worth it and you'd be probably surprised self.

A word for Alex??? 🤔 🤔

Sophia 😂😂. That babe ehn. Just like Kunmi, we can't even ignore her. She'll be in our faces till the very last chapter or even forever self.

And this story isn't just about Adam and Kunmi, it's much more than that. And I don't want to make it overly complicated, hence, the one step at a time.

Can you read between the lines because right from the beginning of this book, there has been hidden messages and there'd be even more hidden messages from now on, you might have to use 3D glasses to read the messages yourself

And I'm back to updating twice a week 💃💃💃💃 💃. See me dancing because I've been slacking around and it was already getting to me like but not anymore. I really can't wait to get to some parts in this book ehn, oh my God! My fingers are itching 😩😩😂😂

So, see you on Friday.

Lots of love.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro