1. Nightmare.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Gentle sunlight bathed the surroundings in a warm glow, breathing life into the otherwise bleak and empty street. The almost deserted road hosted a handful of determined individuals, each moving with a distinct purpose.

"Tara, did you catch what I just said?"

Tara hummed before shaking her head. "Oh, yeah, yeah."

"That's not very convincing."

She chuckled at her mother's mild disapproval. "You give me the same speech every time we talk, Mom. I've got it memorized."

"Pfft-"

"I'm fine, really," she swiftly interrupted an impending lecture. "I'm always careful and attentive. I neither go nor stay out late. And," she added with a drawl, "I'm excelling in my studies as you can tell from my amazing scores."

Her mother laughed. "My smart baby girl, you're going to be an outstanding pharmacist."

"I know," Tara giggled, a sense of pride enveloping her.

After ending the call, Tara scanned the area around her. Despite her previous nonchalance and annoyance at her mother's repetitive warnings, they were true. It's been years since she started her studies here and, yet, the neighborhood remained underdeveloped, with empty spaces awaiting houses and inhabitants. She pondered the government's reasoning behind establishing a university in such a desolate location which seemed to be a recurring theme with other cities and neighboring countries as well.

The necessity for accommodating large institutions drove the need for new locations to settle in. Thus, cities never ceased to expand, always seeking to spread out and inhabit new areas. However, this rationale didn't justify the glaring absence of patrols and security measures in these areas, especially considering the alarming surge in crime rates.

Bizarre.

Quickening her pace, Tara mentally reviewed her tasks and assignments, contemplating upcoming lectures and the neglected dishes at home. Having achieved high scores in her entrance exams, she was celebrated by her village. She was the pride of her family. In turn, she aspired to make a difference and support her community. Her dream, born in her youth, continued to expand as she matured.

With just one year left until her dreams materialized, Tara felt a mix of excitement for the opportunities ahead and a heightened sense of nervousness.

Trying to dispel unnecessary concerns, Tara shook her head. She had a track record of performing well and overcoming challenges. What was the point of dwelling on things yet to unfold? After all, the future remained uncertain, and no one could predict what lay ahead.

The abrupt screech of tires interrupted her thoughts. A car, so dark it swallowed her whole, came to a halt right next to her. There were four passengers. Its driver, a young man sporting sunglasses, sat erect and unbothered, never glancing her way as two men emerged. Before she could comprehend the situation, they ensnared her with an unyielding grip and forcefully dragged her toward the vehicle.

"No, no, no," Tara stammered. "W-wait, let me go. Stop, no! No! Leave me alone-"

Tara bucked, struggled, dug her feet into the ground, and yelled at the top of her lungs. Yet, her desperate screams echoed, falling on deaf ears. Her frantic eyes darted around, in search of a savior, hoping to connect with any of the passersby. 

"Help!" She kept on repeating. "Help me, please. Help!"

No one intervened. No one moved in her direction. No one spared her a second glance. 

Why would they?

It was a recurrent occurrence, after all, a grim reality of the area. Women often faced abduction, assault, and mugging without assistance. They were easy prey. The bystanders remained indifferent, perpetuating a cycle of violence and apathy.

They were to blame as much as the aggressors, if not more.

Many females disappeared without a trace, never to be found or mentioned again. Some returned in a tragic state, lifeless and missing most of their organs. Others, while physically unharmed, came back with a haunting emptiness that lingered in their eyes and souls. Their shattered spirits were tenderly caressed by the hand of death, as they yearned for its embrace. The burdens they had endured seemed only fit to be eased by the solace of eternal slumber.

Tara let out one final yowl before they shoved her in the backseat, caging her between them. 

The driver wasted no time, and the car accelerated, hurtling down the road. Soon, the scenery outside became a blurred abstraction as droplets gathered in Tara's eyes. Despite the overwhelming fear, she clung to a last thread of hope and began profusely pleading to be released.

"Please, let me go," she babbled, tears and snot streaming down her face. "I-I won't tell anyone, I promise. I didn't see anything. Please, just let me go," her voice quavered, her words jumbled. "I'm not a street girl or a prostitute, I swear. Let me go. Please, please, please-"

An unforgiving hand landed across her cheek with such force that her entire body recoiled sideways.

Never before had anyone laid a hand on Tara.

Hope extinguished, she sat motionless, staring out the window. A flood of tears gushed down her ashen cheeks in silent streams of utter shock and resignation. As the whole side of her face stang, the realization sank in – there would be no mercy, no reprieve. 

A flood of questions inundated her mind. What was going to happen to her now? Her heart weighed heavy with the uncertainty of the merciless fate that awaited her. Could she summon the strength to fight and escape? Numbness enveloped her legs, and her trembling hands betrayed the fear that gripped her. Biting down on the inside of her cheek, Tara racked her brain for any sliver of hope. Though her body seemed to surrender, her mind remained sharp and alert. Slowly, her eyes blinked into focus, meticulously absorbing every detail within her reach without raising suspicion.

With jaws clenched shut, her nails dug into the palms of her hands as she balled her fists tight.

Surreptitiously, Tara stored each dip and curve of their side profiles, every blemish, facial hair, freckle, and pimple she could discern. Despite their concealed faces behind large sunglasses and hoodies, Tara gathered as much information as possible while simultaneously monitoring the roads they traversed. They were heading toward the outskirts of the city.

Her chest rose and fell rapidly, breaths quiet and sniffles muted. She didn't want another demonstration of their vicious strength. 

In a desperate attempt to cope, Tara entertained the thought that if she pretended not to exist, perhaps it would all come to an end. Maybe, by being a compliant captive, they would release her. She closed her eyes in an attempt to escape the harsh reality unfolding around her, praying that this ordeal was merely a very, very bad dream, even if only for a brief moment.

As the car turned into an unfamiliar neighborhood, its pace suddenly slowed until it fully stopped. Tara's gaze shot up to notice a post office, a shabby, almost abandoned coffee shop, and an overflowing garbage container.

"Cover her eyes," the driver, seemingly their leader, commanded.

A chill seized her limbs as they deprived her of vision before continuing their journey to hell. Tara whimpered. The nightmare was very much real and the kidnappers weren't planning on letting her go any time soon.

Word count: 1208.

Total word count: 1208.

Note: it's true btw, even in my country. Some if not most Unis are built in almost desolate areas. Even the one I studied at. It was hella scary for real. I even had to sometimes run back to the dorms when we finished late lol, especially in winter. Anyway, it's kinda due to the govs seeking open space and the biggest lands to accommodate such large Unis. However, that doesn't excuse what students have to endure because of criminals who use that to their advantage.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro