5. Goblins in forest_ Fandomhype

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Prompt: Your favourite character suddenly find themselves without their most trusted power/weapon/attribute. Now they only have to rely on themselves to overcome the burden.

I carefully packed my explosive devices into my backpack. I usually only carry one with me, but this time, I had to cross the land of the orcs to deliver a message to the lighthouse keeper by the ocean. The message itself could have been more wasn't interesting to me than the fact of what I had to go through. I spent hours bent over the map, looking for detours, wondering if it added days to my journey.

But unfortunately, it was clear that I had to pass through the forests controlled by the orcs. And, of course, where there are orcs, there are goblins, too. As a city dweller, I wasn't sure how to relate to my uncivilized kin. I feared they'd judge me, and I was equally unsure of how to interact with them.

Ultimately, I set out, taking a "come what may" attitude because canceling a mission wasn't an option regarding the king's messages. I never canceled them, either.

On the third day, I reached the forest and made good progress on the narrow forest path, but I saw no sign of creatures anywhere. I carefully avoided their village, making a wide detour, hoping that if my luck held out, I might avoid any unpleasant encounters with them.

For this reason, I even spent the nights in the forest, using my backpack as a pillow, which was somewhat comfortable. The first night went fine; I woke up well-rested, although somehow, my small knife had disappeared. I searched everywhere, even checking the road to see if it had fallen out somewhere, but eventually gave up, thinking I'd just buy another one. It would be inconvenient not to be able to cut my vegetables or bread, but I'd manage by breaking them.

The weather was beautiful, and I couldn't get enough of admiring nature, the trees, and the various plants. I tried to stay alert, hiding behind a tree whenever I heard a rustle or noise.

But everything was fine, and I began to believe nothing would happen in the remaining day. Besides the minor annoyance of missing my knife, I realized that my map had also disappeared. That worried me. And when I couldn't find my bread while preparing dinner, it was a little confusing. I was starting to feel a bit uneasy, as if something was not right.

I thoroughly checked my backpack to see if it had a hole or if I had lost these items somehow.

The bigger surprise came in the morning when I found myself lying on the ground because my backpack had disappeared.

This was where I started to worry because the only weapon I had to defend myself was in the bag. How would I survive unarmed in the land of the orcs?

What could have happened?

It was only then that I thought, although I hadn't seen anyone in the forest, the orcs were probably watching me. Were they stealing from me? These wild creatures were fascinating.

Now, I just wanted to get out of the forest as soon as possible, to the lighthouse, and I didn't care how dangerous the sea route was with its many hidden reefs—I was sure I would take a boat back.

But my determination didn't last long because an orc appeared around a bend as I angrily marched down the forest path. The ork was two heads taller than me, with a rugged, weather-beaten face and a heavy sword slung across his back. He looked at me with a mix of curiosity and caution, his eyes darting around as if he were expecting trouble. He quickly lifted his sword and held it towards me with both hands.

At first, I didn't know what to make of it—was he afraid of me? I saw him checking to see if I was alone. But when he saw that I was as confused as he was, he lowered the sword to his side and gestured towards me. "I see from your clothes that you're not a forest goblin," he said, and I stared at him in confusion as he continued, "At first, I thought you were from Malfy's gang."

I was baffled. An orc talking to me, and I couldn't do anything about it, though I remembered I was pretty good at evasive maneuvers if it came to a fight. Then it also occurred to me that there was no one here but this orc, so he likely stole from me.

"My backpack disappeared last night!" I shouted.

He stared at me blankly, even shrugged his shoulders, showing his empty hands.

"Don't mess with me," I fumed. "It's obvious you took it; there's no one else in this cursed forest!"

I could see something amused him. To my surprise, he sat down on a half-fallen tree trunk, placing his sword beside him. "Do you know the joke about the goblins and the famous orc horde?"

I felt a bit dizzy because my water was also in my backpack, and I hadn't drunk anything for a while, so I sat down facing the orc, a bit farther away. I didn't answer; I just shook my head.

"I'm not very good at telling jokes," he began, and I almost interrupted him, wanting to say I didn't care about his joke, but my head hurt, and I had no reason or strength to continue my journey. "By the way, are all goblins as pale as you?"

I shook my head, "I haven't drunk anything since yesterday because my water was in the bag you stole!"

He reached for a pouch attached to his belt, untied it, and held it to me. Then, realizing it was better if I didn't move, given my miserable state, he stood up and took a step towards me. When he saw me jump up and step back, he stopped and threw the leather canteen to me instead. He stepped back to the tree trunk and sat down, motioning towards the water to encourage me.

I was very thirsty, so I approached slowly and took a sip. It felt like life rescue.

"Careful, leave some for me too!" he warned. I put the stopper back and took an uncertain step before tossing it back to him, which he easily caught.

After sitting back down in my previous spot, he cleared his throat. "So, the joke. It goes like this: When the orcs arrived in this land, they really liked this forested, cave-filled area."

"Thank you!" I interrupted. Seeing the orc staring at me in confusion, I explained, "For the water!"

"Ah, right. You're welcome... So, you know there's still a debate about who was here first, the orcs or the goblins?"

I was starting to feel better and was roughly paying attention to what he was saying. I just didn't understand why he was telling me a joke.

"I've heard something about that..." I replied.

"Well, this joke basically explains that. So, when the orcs entered the forest, they found a beautiful lake—a few closer to the village. Did you see them?"

"No, I tried to avoid inhabited areas..." I answered.

"So, are you on some secret mission? Going to the lighthouse? Interesting, I just came from there..." The last thing I needed was for him to figure out I was a messenger.

"The joke, I'm inquisitive now!" I redirected his attention.

"Yes, right. So, when the orc army, tired from their journey, found the lake, they thought bathing would be nice. They took off their clothes, left everything on the shore, and I guess you can figure out what happened next." He smiled. But I just stared at him, puzzled.

"I have no idea what you're getting at. They got clean?" I replied somewhat sarcastically.

"I guess that too, but what happened to them is what happened to you—everything disappeared!" he smiled at me as if I should understand something.

"Everything disappeared? But you said they just arrived here; no one was before them, right?" I asked, bewildered.

"Yes, but you weren't paying enough attention. The forest was full of goblins long before the orcs arrived. And that's the point of the joke—to prove that goblins were here first, they're willing to let everyone think they're thieves, or rather, you spread this about yourselves."

I was stunned. "I've never heard such nonsense in my life! Are you saying that in the land of the orcs, it wasn't an orc who robbed me at night but goblins?"

The orc nodded. I looked around, trying to spot any goblins hiding behind the trees. The orc saw my effort. "You won't see them; they're too good at this. They've been doing it for centuries."

"I should be offended, you know? You're calling goblins thieves! My kind!"

"I think you called me a thief first," the orc defended himself.

Then he stood up and gave a loud whistle: "Malfy, hey, get your ugly face over here!"

A nearby bush rustled, and a small goblin appeared before us, slightly hunched and head lowered in front of the orc.

"Bring the lady's backpack," the orc rumbled.

The little creature gestured to someone, and I turned around but saw no one. I jumped when my backpack suddenly dropped in front of me from above. From the way it fell and the lack of sound from within, I guessed it was empty. I picked it up and stared at the little goblin in confusion. He just shrugged and ran back into the forest.

My map was in there, but everything else was gone.

"If you come with me to the village, I'll give you a canteen and some food," the orc said.

I shook my head, unable to imagine being surrounded by a whole village of orcs.

"Then take my water." He extended it to me, and this time, I didn't back away but took it from him. I didn't understand why, but I felt a bit ashamed. I'd never met an orc who wanted to help.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry for assuming you stole it," I said, though I still felt I should watch for suspicious or sudden movements from the orc.

"Safe travels, and take care!" he said. "My name is Desiré."

"Petibone," I replied. He nodded at me and walked away, whistling.

I stood there, still incredulous, because I had never thought an orc would help me. I realized I shouldn't judge hastily based on appearances.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro