5: The Lake

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The above artwork does not belong to me.

Mabel and Dipper told Grunkle Stan all about Phantom when they got home.

He snorted. "C'mon, kids, why chase ghosts? There are better things to do here."

Grunkle Ford, however, popped his head through the doorway to the kitchen. "You found the ghost dog? I tried to find him again for years after I wrote that entry!"

Dipper nodded eagerly. "But that's not even the exciting part. Another ghost saved us, Ford! He's the first friendly ghost I've ever met."

Ford stroked his chin. "Well, the friendliest ghost I ever met was that dog, and he was a monster half of the time. We'll have to find this Phantom again and ask him some questions."

Mabel bit her lip. "I don't know, Grunkle Ford. He didn't even want to be around us, and we're just a couple of kids. I don't think he'll go anywhere near you."

Her great uncle snorted. "Oh, come on, Mabel, I'm sure we can figure something out."

Mabel left after a while when Dipper and Ford started talking about the scientific aspects of such a find. She liked Grunkle Ford, but all he seemed to care about was his research, and he was dragging Dipper down with him.

She sighed and went to bed. Maybe she could get her brother to hang out with her in the morning.

Danny flew through the clouds, enjoying the cool air over Gravity Falls. It was late at night, and no one was out, save for the stars.

He stumbled on a clearing full of rocks, and decided to investigate. He flew to the ground and floated among the strange formations. The grey stones had flecks of metal in them, and shone in the moonlight like ancient ethereal spirits.

Before long, he noticed another consciousness brushing against his mind. He quickly put up mental barriers, but the presence only got stronger. It began to whisper.

Daniel, it said, I'm coming for you. I'll get you soon.

The voice was familiar, but the words were spoken in so many tones that Danny couldn't quite place whose it was. "Go away," he growled. "You can't hurt me."

As it chuckled, he realized that it was coming from a cave in a rock. Without meaning to, he stepped closer to it. Of course I can, it hissed. I know you better than anyone else. And I have a brand new friend to help me catch you.

Chills made their way down Danny's spine. "Who?" he demanded.

Ah, I'm sure you'd love to find out. But I can't tell you. Not until it's too late.

The cave seemed to be drawing him in like a magnet. He could sense the presence down there.

You're the key to my success, Daniel, it murmured. You're going to help me reign supreme.

"I won't!"

The presence just laughed and started to invade his mind. Danny could feel it suffocating him, its grip like a vice. Soon Daniel, it whispered in his head. Soon.

Mabel and Dipper were in the Mystery shack the next morning when Danny walked in, looking shaken up. Dipper ran up to him excitedly. "Danny!" he grinned. "We saw a ghost yesterday! He saved us from a huge green dog, he was so cool! He left in a hurry though. Get this, his name is Phantom the ghost!"

Whatever reaction Dipper was expecting, he didn't get it. "Mmhm," Danny replied distractedly.

Dipper's face fell. "You don't believe us?"

Danny glanced at his hurt expression. "Sorry, Dipper. I do believe you, I just see ghosts all the time where I live. And I'm freaking tired right now."

Mabel had already noticed the bags under the teenager's eyes, and his weary countenance. "Is Pacifica too much for you?" she asked sympathetically.

He gave a little snort. "Nah, I escaped the house before I could see her. I just had a bad dream."

Dipper was instantly alert. "Like, a nightmare? I had one the night you got here."

The older boy rubbed his eyes. "So? It was just . . . it was just some stupid dream. I'm sure yours was, too. Try not to worry about it too much." Despite what he said, both of them looked very concerned.

Mabel was frustrated. So that was why Dipper had looked so distressed yesterday morning. Why hadn't he told her until now?

She narrowed her eyes. "What were your nightmares about, boys?"

"Nothing!" they blurted in unison. Dipper gave her a look that said, we'll talk about it later.

"Can we do something else?" Danny asked uncomfortably.

"Yeah, we should go to the lake," Dipper chimed in.

They all agreed, and decided to invite Wendy and her friends. Business in the Mystery Shack's shop was slow today, and Grunkle Stan let them go without much persuasion. They brought Danny over to the Northwest mansion to grab his swim trunks, and they headed to the lake.

Once they got there, everyone changed and made their way to the dock. Mabel noticed a few mostly-faded scars on Danny, and he caught her looking. "I'm, um, pretty clumsy," he explained, blushing. "And I've gotten into a few fights."

It was a terrible excuse, and he knew it, but Mabel didn't pry.

Wendy chuckled and punched him in the arm. "You, a fighter?" she laughed. "C'mon, man, you're pretty freaking scrawny."

Tambry glanced up from her phone. "I don't know, he's got some muscle . . ." Everyone laughed as he flushed an even deeper red, but she was right. Although he was skinny, Danny's compact muscles were prominent.

"What do you do, swim?" Robbie asked.

Danny shrugged. "Not a whole lot."

"Do you play any sports?"

He immediately shook his head. "Nah. It's not my thing." He grinned shyly before anyone else could comment. "Let's swim! It's what we're here for, isn't it?" He pushed Thompson into the lake and leaped after him. "Cannonball!"

Danny's strange behavior was soon forgotten as the teenagers played in the lake, splashing one another and seeing who could hold their breath the longest. It was a fun day, and Danny was really starting to feel like he had some good friends. He was a bit weird, sure, but everyone in the group had their strange quirks. Maybe, just maybe, he would be able to relax and enjoy his vacation.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro