42| Paper Cranes

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

『ARC FOUR: A BUTTERFLY'S DEDUCTION』

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

It did not take much thought for Junpei to realize that he loathed Junri's Quirk.

It was natural that he would not like it. Just because he was created with it, a product of said Quirk with a catalyst, that did not mean he was going to like it. Not to mention the tinkering that could be done on a subconscious level. Who would like it when someone changed their perception of the real world? Especially when they did not even know that it happened in the first place?

But the moment his butterfly touched the paper crane that materialized out of thin air, it was entirely different than just tugging at the strings in a consciousness.

Various whispers, of tones high and low, instantly overwhelmed him. The voices echoed in his head, vibrating against his skull with those slow and dragged-out words. He could not pinpoint the exact words that were spoken because there were too many talking for him to even try and dissect what they were saying. It was just too much to process and he could not process it all. Well, how could he? He looked like a four-year-old and he was technically only twenty days old. Not to mention he has not even figured out how to use his Quirk all the way.

His small fingers threaded through his locks and dug his fingernails into his scalp. Although the action was painful, the child did not even register the feeling of pain enveloping his head. The only good thing was that his nails were not long enough to pierce through his skin or else droplets of blood would have seeped through.

Distorted images flashed across his vision. Some resembled the appearance of humans with skewed perceptions while others were just wisps of black mist that wished to look normal. A few would reach forward, fingers almost brushing against Junpei's cheeks before being harshly pulled away by an unknown force. Their images flickered, misshaping and tilting their heads upward to release a cacophony of ear-splitting screeches.

In an instant, the child pulled his hands away from his head and cupped them over his ears in an attempt to shield his eardrums. He screwed his eyes shut to keep himself from witnessing the images any longer. His stomach churned when he saw the shifting of lights and shadows dancing through his eyelids. He could still hear them screeching. He could still see them fluttering about in his eyesight.

He should not have done that. He should have made his butterfly disappear instead of trying to dissect and deduct something of the unknown even further. He needed to be careful and look at what he had done. He threw away his short and fragile lifespan for a piece of knowledge that should have been left alone. Unseen by prying eyes and unheard of by yielding ears. He should have left Euthymia's Sentience alone.

Then, Junpei felt it. It was small and almost insignificant but he could still feel it. A small tug at the string of his consciousness before it was released. The thread snapped back into place, mending itself along with the other to create the newly formed perception that was given to him. Dissipating like ripples across a puddle, the images that ran rampant and the whispers that assaulted him slowed into a steady halt. The child kept himself in a feeble position, ears and eyes still covered in fear that those things only died down because it was the only way they could get him to move.

"You can open your eyes now." Straight and without a single hitch, the words flowed out of Junri's voice in a calm manner. Nothing like the paranoid and angered tone she had been screaming just a few moments ago.

Reluctantly, the black-haired child allowed his eyelids to flutter open. It took a few times to get him to open his eyes all the way. The bright glow emitted from the lights gave him a bit of trouble and he needed to blink to rid his sight of the black dots. He swallowed the saliva building up in his throat as his vision finally cleared.

Standing off to the side, Junri hugged the bundle of origami cranes to her chest. Her fingers clenched a few of them, creating creases across the folded papers. Golden eyes trailed down onto the cranes, staring at them with a bit of sorrow. Her lips pressed together in a thin line as her eyebrows tilted down as if she was trying to decide whether to be ashamed or sad. Or perhaps it was both.

"I-I-I... I-I-" her voice started to break like glass, unlike the earlier statement which exited with ease. The long light blue dress she wore swayed as she started to shift her body weight on either leg. Her grip on the paper cranes grew tighter. "S-so-sorry... I-I di-didn't ex-expect you t-t-to do t-t-th-that..."

"Wh-what was... t-that?" The pink-eyed child stuttered as he tried to regulate his breathing. Cold air filled his lungs, chest heaving while his heart thumped against his ribcage. Slowly, he maneuvered his hand up to curl his fingers around the fabric of his shirt. He needed to feel something real at least.

Junri's gaze shifted back and forth across the panels. "You're cre-created with a s-single catalyst a-a-and a single c-consciousness. The doll can only ha-handle o-one ca-catalyst. When your b-butterfly met with another, i-it ov-overwhelmed your system."

"My Quirk can't work with yours although I'm created by it?"

"It seems so. Although my Quirk is powerful, I suppose the things I can breathe life into are incompatible with me as well. How curious." And just like that, the trembling in her voice ceased to exist. As if it was not present in the first place. "I've never had that problem with anyone else."

The woman's arms wrapped even tighter around the origami pieces. So much so that one of them managed to pop out of her grasp and land on the ground with a soft plop. A sigh left her lips, dreary and tired is what it sounded like. Lifting her foot, she gently prodded at it with the tip of her flat. After a few more touches, the paper crane illuminated in a bright white light. With a sharp flash, the item of folded paper no longer existed. For a second, Junri's shoulders loosened before she tossed the bunch of cranes in the air. With a swift swipe of her hand, they sparkled like a firecracker before burning up in a wave of light.

Picking up her foot slowly, she placed it in front of her before doing the same as the other. She plopped herself on the bed, a bit far away from Junpei. She cupped her hands to her lap and released a shaky breath. "I figure you're going to ask me... do you want to know others like you?"

"Is Reina created like me?" Slinking his fingers around one of the light gray pillows, Junpei clutched it to his chest. "She doesn't feel like you."

"Feel like me?" The golden-eyed woman cocked her head back to meet his eyes. Creases were evident across her forehead. "Whatever do you mean by that? Is there such a big difference?"

Junpei pressed his lips together, teeth lightly clenching. He closed his eyes for a brief moment, trying to recall the exact reason why he knew it was not Junri who came into the room earlier. The first thing that seemed offputting was the fact that his butterfly was effortlessly taken out without his knowledge. The insect should have alerted him the moment someone was drawing close to the room. That did not happen.

The butterfly should have been able to pick something up at least. It was not a pleasant feeling to sense that butterfly being destroyed and being overwhelmed by fear. But even then, the insect should have been able to pick up the terror. Although he gave it orders, the delicate thing was able to do simple things such as knowing when to alert him of such things. He only commanded it to warn him when Junri was coming but it still should have done the same with an unknown presence.

That was the reason he was looking for.

"I couldn't feel her presence. My butterfly could not either."

"Her presence?" Junri's lips parted open in surprise. Quietly, she echoed the words once more before falling into a state of ponder. "That shouldn't be. You both have consciousness'. In a strange way, the two of you are human. You function perfectly fine like one. You also carry the same limitations as one."

"But humans aren't created through dolls."

"Well I- yes, I suppose that is an error on my part, isn't it? I can make you as human as I want but it doesn't change your origin. You, Junpei, aren't stuck as a blank slate as when a baby is born. You were forged with a bit of knowledge of the world through my experiences. Funny, is it not?" A short but sad laugh rumbled in the woman's chest. "I can create life but it seems like even sentience has its limitations. I'm human, after all. I have limitations."

"Do you hate us?" Junpei inquired, digging his nails into the pillow. "We're not like you. Following and not following your will at the same time."

"Some of you I do loathe. You all experience the outside world and leave and do your own thing. You listen to me when needed but all of your consciousness' grow as you retain memories. You all create your own identities that you stand by and allow them to stem from the original words written on the paper crane. You all leave in the end and I'm stuck here. Alone and stuck in a crowd at the same time.

"Sometimes I can hear them. Hear the consciousness' of those that no longer linger here. If spirits have a strong enough connection to this plain, their sentient being, although no longer held through a physical form, can be perceived by the mortal eye if strong enough. I can hear them speak, see them walk around- anything they do, I bear witness. I can't erase them so I do what I know how to do. I seal their consciousness in a paper crane just to make them quiet down before making the crane disappear.

"Oh- don't give me that look. They don't really disappear. It's- it's like when it's raining! When a droplet collides with a puddle, ripples stretch across the surface. Think of the consciousness as a drop. It becomes distorted for a while before stilling. Eventually, it becomes forged anew in the stillness and their sentience is as good as new. There is nothing to worry about in that sense. I cannot entirely kill off a sentient being with Euthymia's Sentience. Only manipulate perception and make people like you."

Breathing in deeply, the woman's shoulders sagged. She blinked wearily, exhaustion settling onto her face as she finished her explanation. Allowing her body to fall back, her figure bounced slightly as she laid on the mattress with her arms above her.

"I don't really hate you per se. I've just never created a child before. Reina has an adult form so it didn't take much to teach her certain things. However you, you're a child. Appearance-wise or not, you haven't developed like the others. You're slower yet not at the same time. I never even knew that Reina did not have a presence. I can always feel her. I wasn't sure if other humans or dolls could distinguish the difference." Junri stated as she rolled onto her stomach. She motioned for Junpei to give her a pillow and the child did so. She tucked it underneath her chin and wrapped her arms around it.

"I just- I just kinda miss my old life. The one I had before all of this."

"What was it like?" To be honest, Junpei was curious and at the same time not. He had to choose his words carefully in case he set off the white-haired woman. It felt like her emotions could teeter on either side of the tightrope and he does not want to find out what would happen if he tipped it over.

"I didn't have to hide for one. I also didn't spend all of my time stuck in my room. But I don't like interacting with the others here. It irritates me. It was easier to go out shopping and buy snacks that's for sure. Before this. There was this bakery I used to go to all the time for their red bean cakes. I don't go there anymore. An old friend, Sumiko, visits there often and I don't want her to catch me."

"Is it that terrible if you two meet? If you're friends, wouldn't it be a good thing?"

A scoff escaped Junri as she shook her head. White curls slipped off of her back. "I wish. I sort of ghosted her. I still have all of the messages she sent me on my phone when she left. Everyone's actually. I can't respond to them."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm a bad person. A Villain to put it in modern terms." She choked out the words like they were a difficult topic. The word 'Villain' was the one laced with the most disgust. "I can't show my face. Not to them, not to anyone that knew me."

Junpei blinked once before tilting his head. That word was new. He's never heard of it before. "Why is that such a bad thing? What is so bad about that word?"

"Villain, is that what you're asking?" Her fingers drummed against the pillow. "It isn't a good thing. You hurt people for your own amusement or benefit. That is never a good thing."

"Why did you become one then?"

Junri did not bother to answer him. They sat in silence for a while, relishing in the peace before exhaustion had taken them over and lured them into sleep.

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

Junpei clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. He believed that today marked a month since he was created. Strange really. It was weird knowing that it has been an entire thirty days since he opened his eyes. That meant that he has done well in staying alive that long. He is quite ashamed that it was something that he was happy about. He had a feeling that should not be the case.

He swung his legs, feet nowhere near touching the coral tiles that littered the small kitchen area. One of his hands rested on the table while the other struggled with the pair of chopsticks. Even if he's been here for a month, he still could not wrap his mind around these utensils. The child chalked it up to his hands being small and not having enough motor function to perform the action.

Finally, after a few minutes, he managed to pluck one of the salmon-stuffed rice balls. With a grin filled with glee, he was quick to stuff it into his mouth. As he chewed, his gaze shifted over to Junri who sat across from him.

Her eyes were trailed onto the container filled with the rice balls. Except it did not seem like she was fully there at the moment. Like she was so lost in thought that her sight settled itself on anything as thoughts fluttered about in her mind. Junpei would have used a butterfly to find out what was going on but he did not want a repeat of what happened before. Their Quirks were incompatible despite the notion that she forged his Quirk and gave him it.

He was about to pluck another rice ball when Junri finally opened her mouth after sitting still for five minutes.

"I used to be a Hero." The words spoken were quiet and fast with a bit of guilt glazed over the letters. Junri's fingers slipped into one of her ringlets, pulling at the thick white curls in an attempt to distract herself. She bit down on her bottom lip and avoided the child's gaze. It was almost like she was ashamed to even look up at him. A mere child nonetheless.

"A... Hero?" Junpei echoed as he blinked. The word sounded foreign and strange. He did not know what it meant nor what it was supposed to be. From what he could figure out, it appeared to be some sort of title but he could not deduct further from that with his limited knowledge. "What is that?"

Lowly humming a quiet tune, Junri briefly closed her eyes. Her lips pressed together in a firm line as she thought of the right words to connect. "A Hero is someone who protects others and aids those in need. It was my job for four years, give or take. I went to school to learn about it too."

As she spoke, the woman's lips started to curl upward into a small smile. Her features softened and thin wrinkles sketched underneath her eyes. Her golden eyes which were dull and murky suddenly brightened with an auric shine. "I was a part of an agency- oh, an agency is a place that is usually run by a Hero and act as firms in order to employ lesser Heroes or sidekicks are hired. My friend is technically the owner, so to speak, since he was the one who signed off on our paychecks and the agency was under his name. His Hero name was Inscribe. Mine was Genesis. There were ten of us... at one point."

While Junpei fiddled with the chopsticks, he finally managed to grab another rice ball. As he chewed the piece of food, he did manage to catch onto the slight hint of sorrow in Junri's voice. And if it was not because of that, the droop in her shoulders was proof enough. He shifted the chopsticks in his fingers in curiosity.

"What happened?"

"Inscribe and our vice leader, Stormcaster, never got along. It became better when we became adults but the two could never get on the same page. In fact, it seemed like they would argue to see who had the better idea or plan. Childish but never seemed to come to a concise agreement. Eventually, it all blew up, and our team split. Five with Inscribe and five with Stormcaster." Junri flicked the ringlet in her hand and allowed it to drop. With her other hand, she hooked her fingers around another pair of chopsticks.

"That doesn't sound like the reason you left." Pieces of rice fell onto the white plate and stained the item. "You sound relieved right now. You sounded guilty earlier."

"No, that's not the reason." the woman poked at one of the rice balls with a chopstick before picking it up and dropping it onto her plate. She ignored the way a few pieces of rice trickled off of the sphere and thudded softly against the plate. The tip of the chopstick nudged at a fallen grain with mild interest. "It was something else. I never told them the reason. They would have called me insane. More so than I already am. Namiko, the man I've spoken about, do you remember him?"

"You've complained about him half the time I've been here so how could I not?"

The person who was the main subject of Junri's problems- or at least that was what Junpei thought- was none other than a man known as Namiko Nikushimi. He never met the man. Junri did not even let him out of her room for some reason. Well, not that he wanted to. He was not too keen on running into Reina out there. The only good thing was that the white-haired woman's threat was effective enough to scare the other. Or perhaps scare is not the right word in this situation. It may be better said that Junri gave the other an order.

"Have I?" the woman lifted the chopsticks without grabbing any food. Her nose wrinkled. "Hmm, I guess I haven't realized I have spoken about him so much. But then again, it's not like I have anyone to talk about it to. I'm sorry you have become the receiving end of my complaints."

Junpei shrugged nonchalantly. It was not like he had anything else better to do. Most of his time was spent listening to whatever Junri wanted to talk about or reading the few volumes of novels that the female enjoyed in her past time. Sometimes he watched her make other dolls and plushies but what struck him as odd was that she has not created another one like him. He was curious but he would rather leave the question hanging than finding out that answer. It was better for him.

"Namiko offered me a deal I couldn't refuse." She waved her hand in an aloof manner while her eyes stayed on her plate. Quietly, she released a sigh. "I did not want to agree at first, but as more and more time passed, the offer became more and more enticing."

"Did you not like your life?" Junpei inquired as he placed his utensils down. They cluttered lightly against the surface of the small dining table. "Or was it something else? You said you missed your old life some time ago so I don't think that's it."

The golden-eyed woman's body slightly slumped in her chair, head tilting back as she allowed a puff of air to escape her. "I was around the age of ten when I decided I wanted to be a Hero. I figured it was the best route for me. I had a powerful Quirk and Heroes are known to be strong and unwavering, you know? There were these two Heroes, All Might and Endeavor, they held their positions at the top for years! No one was able to take their places. They were capable and determined. They achieved every feat they could do without much of a problem.

"So it just made sense for me. On top of that, I liked helping people. I couldn't do much when I was young though. If someone was feeling terrible because of a headache, all I needed to do was pull a string and voila! It was gone. Nausea? A tiny shift and you didn't feel it any longer! I couldn't do anything when people had major health problems. I could only change sensations, perceptions, not rearrange the microscopic things that attack and aid the immune system.

"When I was of age, I attended a high school known as Mizu Academī. It was one of the many Hero schools that were around the area. Shiketsu was close too but I wasn't fond of the hat they wore. Besides, it seemed like a good fit because it created teams and not singular Heroes. When I graduated, my friends and I created the Inscribe Agency. But the whole Stormcaster situation happened and it just didn't seem right anymore."

"Why leave?"

Airy laughter vibrated against her chest. Lifting her hand above her, she spread her fingers with her palm facing her. "Because people are selfish. It's a common trait amongst us all. Well, I can't really blame us. We're human after all. But the least I can expect is for people to learn. I was foolish, thinking that Heroes worked for the good of the people. But no, most are only in it for fame or money. Or they abuse their status. That Hero forced himself onto a woman, the Hero Commission will cover it up because it will harm the Pros image. That Hero is using illegal drugs, just blindly turn away from it because it isn't important for the media to know. That Hero committed a multitude of fraud, it isn't a problem because they have status.

"They have power, money, and the Commission will do whatever it takes to sweep things under the rug. I mean, it's natural given the fact that they hide the information of buying children with powerful Quirks and turning them into Heroes against their will. It's alright to do that because it's not like the media knows about it! Because it doesn't matter! Nothing matters at all. Everything is reduced to those people being self-absorbed!"

Junpei tapped the side of his plate with his fingers. It was quiet and dull and not enough for either of them to hear the sound. "Did this make you choose to go with Namiko? Were your friends like that too?"

"Never. They all had different morals but their main focus was helping people. The same as mine. Or was once mine." The woman shook her head and her white ringlets brushed across her cheeks. A hopeful smile spread across her lips.

"What was offered was a chance for change. Those who are corrupted shouldn't be in charge. They don't serve it. Those Heroes don't serve it. They never wanted to help in the first place. I agreed to help Namiko because I was tired. Tired of all the egotistical and greedy people that we live with. Although my Quirk is powerful, I can't do anything by myself. Pretty pathetic. A Hero who can't even do anything she wants." Junri straightened herself up but her shoulders still fell forward in dismay. Her jaw tightened as sorrow curled in her irises.

"I'm guessing that you didn't get what you were promised."

"Something like that," she mumbled softly. "I made my bed and now I have to lay on it."

The child stopped his quiet tapping. "Why can't you leave then? If you don't like it here and regret your decision, why not leave?"

"Because I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because I need him as much as Namiko needs me. As much as I don't like the way he is doing things, I can't suddenly forgo his plan. I hate to admit it but the way he wants things to go is the best course of action. It goes against everything I stood for but it's the only way to get rid of those people!" Her voice grew in tone and was glazed over in a persistent and desperate manner. She clenched her teeth together and glanced away from the child.

Taking in a deep breath, Junpei could not help but feel his skin crawl. He bit down on his tongue although it was not enough for him to draw any blood. He trailed his eyesight down onto the plate with bits of rice decorating the object. Sweat began to appear on his palms and he was quick to wipe his hands on his pants. "What dID he do?"

"Not exactly himself but that doesn't make him any less responsible." She shook her head and rubbed the sides of her head like she was developing a headache. "He wants to rid people of their Quirks. The only reason I agree is because if you remove the powers of those that are corrupted. They have no power, they can flaunt their status, correct?"

Junpei did not bother to respond. The information he acquired was more uncomfortable than he figured. It would be best that he did not question this further but-

"How do you do that?"

Chuckling, the woman rested her chin on her propped-up palm. "Simple. You just get rid of the source. Humans lived without Quirks once upon a time. You just need to destroy the component that makes it. The genes and genome. Without the blueprint of a Quirk, a human is pretty much reduced to nothing. That solves the problem!"

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

Despite being given an analysis Quirk, Junpei should have been smart enough to connect the pieces together to know that his time here would not be as smooth as he had hoped. He should have estimated that whatever was left of Junri's sanity would have been in a steady decline. How she lasted twenty-two years hearing other sentient beings in her ear without losing her mind at a faster rate was beyond him at this point. He could barely handle the few he witnessed when his butterfly touched a crane.

The second thing he did not expect was being taken to a bar after three months of being alive. Although it was Junri who had taken him to that place, his confidence with the woman was growing dimmer and dimmer as time passed. She would snap at him constantly even if he calculated his words carefully for no reason. Her sentences began to make less sense too. It became harder to distinguish which were real and which were nonsense. Being at that place was taking its toll faster than he expected. With all this information gathered, he decided that his best course of action was to seal his lips shut and respond with gestures rather than words.

The hair in his nostrils burned as he unwillingly inhaled the stench of alcohol. The scent rang bells of remembrance in his brain but he did look any further. He never liked it when Junri drank that disgusting liquid. She would not even drink much but would just sit there with a dazed look whenever she did.

Before either of them had entered the bar, Junri had informed him that he would meet with a pair of twins but it seemed like surprises had become a more common occurrence nowadays. Their appearances were one of the most confusing yet interesting things he has ever seen. He almost laughed. These recent events were becoming more difficult to deduct.

As the door slipped open, a bright strip of light assaulted his vision. He shut his eyelids immediately in fear of being blinded. At his own pace, he blinked rapidly in an attempt to adjust his vision to the lavender hues shifting across the area. When he managed to open his eyes, he easily noticed that the two children were his age. Actually, it was better said to say they looked like his appearance. They have lived longer than he has been created.

They were nearly identical. There were a few minor details that differentiated the two. One of the main reasons was that they were opposing genders. They shared the same amethyst coated hair with bulky and jagged edges except the girl's were a little longer and bigger. Two of the things that they shared were the alabaster and lusterless skin and the soft shade of periwinkle that colored his eyes. Both of their diamond-shaped pupils fixated on him as he released his grasp on the door. It closed with a sharp thud. He searched their faces, trying to distinguish which emotion was evident.

The male twin's face was blank except for the occasional twitch of concern. His pale fingers had latched around his sister's wrist in a protective manner. The female twin had barely tilted her head, short and thin wrinkles decorating her forehead. Confusion was evident on her features as her lips parted to say something but decided against it.

They all fell quiet under the thick silence. It was not suffocating but more like it was filled with tension. Either side could have said a word but neither wished to. After all, one wrong word could signify a bad ending for the one who spoke. Eventually, one of the children finally had enough of playing the waiting game.

"Who are you?" The girl asked with her words tumbling out of her mouth in a hurry. The fingers on her left hand grew tighter around the ruby necklace and the action caused the edge of her sleeve to slip down. Junpei barely managed to catch the sight of white cloth before the kid flattered her arm against the bar.

"Who am I?" The pink-eyed child's lips curled up into an innocent smile. "My name is Junpei. Who are you?"

Just as the girl was going to reply, her brother tugged on her arm in a form of defiance. The female crystal glanced upward at him in confusion before seeing her twin roughly shake his head. "No, we don't know where he came from."

Even if Junpei told them the truth, they would probably think that he was lying. Who would believe him if he told them he was a doll with a paper crane acting as a heart- or is a brain? Can it be considered both? Hmm, perhaps he needed to think over that concept. Mostly because of the fact that he technically did have functioning organs, senses, motor function, and an immune system that can be compromised by illness. Catching the common cold was definitely not an experience he would like to go through again.

Even if his creation was not the normal way a human was born, can he not be considered one? All of the things he has listed had the component of a functioning human. The only thing he was really lacking was in the emotional department. But the words inscribed on his paper crane did state that he would develop over time. The only real humans he's interacted with were Junri and that silver-haired woman that spoke quite oddly. Sophisticated yet troubling. What was her name? Mari?

As to why he was entrusted in Mari's care, it was mostly because she used to have a profession in teaching and knew how to deal with kids. That and she was a real person. Not a doll with a forged consciousness.

But then again, he cannot outright say the truth. A half-truth would suffice, right? Not everything has to be said with honesty in mind. Besides, those two were children. They were not unfortunate enough to know concepts far advanced for their age such as he did. It would be more confusing and taken as a lie if he did. He was human enough to act like a human. It should not be hard.

Actually, it may be hard. He really only had Mari and Junri as examples of breathing people with original sentient properties. He himself was just a doll who could experience things because he was allowed to. Okay, this might be hard.

"My mother brought me. I think she's speaking with yours." Junpei withheld the urge to scrunch his face up in disgust. He was certain that Junri did not qualify to fit in a parental category. He was also sure that the parents of the twins were stuck in the same boat from the five minutes he had been in this place. "Unless she isn't a woman with purple hair."

"You shouldn't be here. Children aren't allowed in here." The female twin blurted without a second thought.

The black-haired kid blinked twice. "But then that would mean the two of you can't be down here either. Does that rule not apply to you?"

Neither of the two responded after that but if anything, they directed their gazes onto the wooden panels. It seemed like they knew that those words would have been refuted easily but refused to admit their fault. They exchanged a glance between each other but it seemed like whatever the twins were thinking did not come into the light. They stayed on the wooden stools and did not move a single muscle.

Junpei found himself squinting while raising a hand to shield his vision. Even if the duo did not even so much as flinch, light still happily bounced off of their hair. The crystals were more than willing to filter the glowing rays through their inclusions and emit hard and soft glows depending on how the light shined. The child was blinking a lot more than he wanted to but he would rather do that than become blind from random streaks.

Gripping the edges of the stool, the male twin easily slipped himself off but not before dropping the sapphire bracelet onto the bar. It softly clinked against the surface before his feet connected with the floor. Although the child's figure vanished from sight after going around the piece of furniture, it did not stop the lavender hue from melding itself with the air. The glow faded and strengthened depending on the movements the crystal performed. From the way it shifted, the pink-eyed kid could only assume that the other was searching for something.

All of a sudden, a crumpled piece of indigo cloth was flung into the air. Gravity forced the object to fall only for it to be caught by the small hands of the girl. She quickly clutched it to her chest, a swift breath of relief exiting her lips because it had not fallen. Her fingers tightened around it, feeling the softness of the fabric before extending her arms. Pinching it between her fingers, her eyes widened a bit in realization.

Shifting it in her hands, the female twisted it around before hooking her nails inside to open it. She fitted the beanie onto her head and tugged it down. It was not an immediate fix naturally. The beanie could only cover so much as the front halted an inch above the tips of her bangs while only two-thirds of the back was covered.

Out of the corner of his peripheral vision, he barely managed to catch the faint sight of mauve dying down. His blinking slowed into nothingness as his arm dropped down to his side. "Why?"

"You want to go blind?" Curled fingers still held onto the edges of the same colored beanie, the male twin poked his head out from behind the bar. His eyes narrowed slightly in disinterest. "We can take them off and you can go ahead and keep your eyes closed the entire time."

"I think I'll keep my eyes open."

Shutting his eyes was definitely not an option for Junpei. For one, he was in an unknown place with Junri of all people. Second, he was not even sure who that purple-haired woman was. From first impressions, that woman was the owner of this place and was quick to try and please Junri. And as much as he hated to admit it, he was not entirely sure why he was here. Sure there were two other kids but that did not explain why he was here.

Junri made sense half the time so he could only flip a coin and guess whether or not she was making a valid point. Such as the comment she made earlier when they were about to enter the place. He was created by a whim, not because he was relevant to whatever Namiko wanted. Even if he was created for whatever that man wanted, a four-year-old form was certainly not the way to go. So why was he here in front of these twins? What was his purpose here?

"I am Akihiko and my sister's name is Tanami," Akihiko stated as he climbed back onto the stool. "You said your name was Junpei?"

All Junpei did was nod in affirmation. There was not much to say after all.

An hour or so passed at a moderate pace and within this time frame, Junpei spent it trying to figure out why he was here. He has not come up with a valid and concise answer. Every single thought that appeared in his mind eroded in seconds because he hit a dead end every single time. It felt like he was running in circles.

His shoulders fell in defeat as he shifted his position on the red sofa in the corner. Once he was satisfied with how his body was positioned, he tugged on the ends of his sleeves in disinterest. A dim flash of lavender flashed across his vision. His eyes trailed upward. Just because his thoughts went nowhere did not mean he did not keep an eye out on the twins. The child had to. He had to keep his guard and vigilance up for his own safety. How was he certain he could even trust these two kids? Although they are young, they may pose a threat.

From the few things he has witnessed, they had powerful Quirks. The ability to create crystals by converting something else into them. Their mastery of it still appeared sloppy and underdeveloped. But he suspected that the way they commanded their Quirks right now would not last much longer.

Tanami was more clumsy with her craft. She rarely crafted a perfect piece of jewelry on the first try. It would either be too big, too small, or a bit more lopsided on an edge. However, a simple thought and a brush of a finger and the crystal would fix itself. Akihiko was slower but was able to create more detailed designs. His hands would cup over the transparent shards of glass and light would try to seep through the cracks of his fingers. On average, it took him double or triple the time it would take his sister. But the intricate design of crystals were elegant so it made up for the wasted time.

This species did not force him to think much as it was easy to see that their parents forced the two to make gemstones for profit. Anything that was crafted from the crystal was highly valued. People were highly intrigued by shiny things for some reason. He never really thought of it as something interesting. Sure it was nice to see the lights bounce off the surfaces but he did not see the big deal about them.

He assumed that was the reason why Junri was here. Perhaps striking a deal for crystals? He could not figure out why they were needed though. Plus he was not too knowledgeable about crystals besides the fact that they were very expensive. So that was another dead end. So much for getting information. The pink-eyed boy pressed his lips together in a line. Should he use his butterflies? As long as neither of them noticed the butterfly coming near them, he could scour their memories for answers.

Junpei's fingers twitched in anticipation. It sounds like the most plausible thing to do in this situation. To just spread his palm out and summon a butterfly came naturally to him. Yet he found himself wavering. He wanted to use one yet refused to go through with it. Why was that?

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

"You're changing."

Junri's words echoed in the depths of Junpei's mind. The words strung together were just a simple sentence and yet it still carried weight. An unknown emotion bubbled up within him but he could not distinguish the feeling. It was strange. What was he feeling?

What changed? What was changing in him that Junri was able to notice when she actually paid attention to him? If something had changed, why has she not fixed it yet? Did she not want to change it? Not even on a subconscious level? Or did she not care anymore? What was the reason? Why had she not tweaked his consciousness yet?

It seemed like he was still lacking in areas. That was normal though. He was not human. Did not feel the same things as a human. The only strong emotions he could pinpoint were confusion, fear, and anxiousness. Was he showing more than those few now? The only thing that really changed was the scenery around him. Junri or Ukiyo, another doll like himself, would usually bring him to the bar while the adults talked about stuff he really was not that interested in. He was not keen on information that would cost them his life.

Junpei's lips parted open to release a puff of air. His head rolled back, banging against the smooth surface of the mahogany wood. He scrunched his nose up slightly and bit back a hiss. He hoped that a certain twin had not heard him. The noise was quite loud.

Hide and seek was what Tanami proposed. The twins had finished their quota earlier than usual so they had some free time to do things normal children would. Currently, Akihiko was the one who was the seeker while Junpei and Tanami were hiding. Junpei had settled on hiding in one of the cabinets. He was not really in the mood to find a good hiding spot though. As long as he was able to be with his thoughts for a minute or two, that would be enough.

It was getting harder to keep his thoughts running in a straight line at home. Technically it was not even considered a home but Junpei was not quite sure what else to call it by. It was the first place he had ever known and Junri was the first one he had ever seen. In a way, it was his home but he had a feeling that was not what one felt lik-

The cabinet door swung open, drowning him in a waterfall of lavender and yellow light. The curly-haired child immediately screwed his eyes shut to keep his vision from being overwhelmed. Murky shadows danced across his eyelids against the redness he witnessed. Slowly, he gazed at the crystal through his lashes. He still has not grown used to the sharp streaks of light that suddenly illuminated the air. They were not wearing beanies this time around.

"Found you," Akihiko stated with a slight smile tugging at the edges of his lips.

Tilting his head to the side, Junpei pouted. As he heaved himself out of the cabinet, he said with a bit of tease, "aww, come on! I thought that was a good hiding spot! Guess it wasn't!"

Cheerful laughter vibrated in his vocal cords while his feet flattened themselves on the panels. The child swiped at his pants, ridding himself of the dust on the fabric. He rolled his shoulders back and heard the pops coming from his joints. He grinned at Akihiko.

"Found your sister yet?"

"No," Akihiko shook his head. The bulky shards of amethyst smacked his cheeks but he paid no mind. "Not yet."

"Well," Junpei crossed his arms over his chest, eyes brightening with a spark of exhilaration. At the same time, the bright hue of violet swirled in between the two boys. Solidifying, a glowing butterfly materialized and rapidly flapped its wings to keep itself in the air. "Do you want some help?"

Silence settled itself between the two before Akihiko voiced out the word 'no'.

Knitting his brows together, Junpei found himself confused. "Why not? It would be easier to find Tanami this way."

Once again, Akihiko reaffirmed his statement by gesturing with his hand. "It would be easy. I do not want it to be easy. Do you use your Quirk when looking for us?"

"Of course not!" The pink-eyed boy exclaimed in a loud tone filled with disbelief. "I would never! It would be too easy for me!"

Reaching his hand out, the crystal spread his finger out for the butterfly to land. The insect did so and its antennae twitched. Light emitted from the butterfly reflected off of Akihiko's eyes. "See what I mean? It would be easy. The game should be hard or it would not be fun."

Junpei nodded, but that was only because he did not understand the words fully. If he did things the easy way, he would not have to worry about needing to be alert all the time. Doing things the hard way expended more energy. Even a doll such as himself had human restrictions. He inhabited the body of a child and the child grew tired quickly. Exhaustion always seeped into his muscles and bones and it was not like he could just ignore it.

Nonetheless, he will comply with the rules of the game. If it had to be harder for this, it should not be too bad, right? They just needed to keep noise to a minimum and return to the backroom bar when the adults started to ask for them. Brushing his hand off to the side, a simple thought was all it took for the butterfly to fade from existence. All that way left of its presence was the sparkles that decorated the pale skin of the amethyst-haired boy.

Clasping his hands together, Junpei leaned forward a bit. "Alright then! Let's go find Tanami! Two heads are better than one!"

The lingering of Junri's words still rung inside his mind even after everything had supposedly drowned them out. As he clenched his teeth lightly, he still wondered what had changed about him. If only he listened to the words tumbling out of his lips.

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

Author's Note:

I was a day late with this chapter but oh well. What I can I do about it. Nonetheless, there will still be another chapter this week since this one was technically last week's. I hope the extra 4,000 words makes up for it being late.

But at least now we're getting the twins thrown into the mix and hopefully some more answers! Also this picture sort of reminds me of Junri.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro