24. Ray of Light

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Much to my surprise. The world keeps turning, people move on, and it's as if Ryan never walked on this earth.

I try swimming at the YMCA with Lauren, but the darkness creeping into my mind follows me everywhere. The facility is a distracting mix of mother's dropping noisy toddlers off to after school programs, basketball players dribbling, and runners pounding along the overhead track, but I can't escape my low grade depression. In the locker room, Lauren looks over at me as she's blow drying her hair. "Did you see Dylan Thompson doing his bench pressing? What a hunk."

I shake my head, "I can't feel anything. It's as if I'm entombed in that grave with Ryan."

"I'm sorry, Evie. I miss him too." I stop hanging out with Lauren, because I know I'm making her sad.

We hear from Mrs. Hughes that my father's seeing a new woman. Another insurance salesperson in his office. A red head, twenty years younger than him. My mother hates the fact someone else is in her house, but I could care less.

When I arrive homento our shabby apartment, I'm surprised to see Mr. Garcia, Andrea's father, sitting at the kitchen table.

"Hi Evie, it's good to see you."

"Hello, Mr. Garcia."

"Evie, come and sit with us. I'm surprised my mother is up this early, and she's applied some lipstick to her face. There's an freshly baked apple cake sitting on the table. "Andrea sent this over. Wasn't that sweet?" I nod, suddenly realizing how much I miss her. I sit down on one of the mismatched chairs, wondering what's the reason for his visit. All of our furniture was either given to us by Mrs. Hughes, or scavenged from garage sales.

Mr. Garcia is a kind man. He has soft brown eye, unlike my father's dark, angry ones. He smells of cedar and sweet tobacco. His scent reminds me of Ryan. Immediately, I feel a strong connection to him, along with a sense of trust.

"Evie, I was telling your mom I have a new condominium complex that just opened." I need a family to come and live in one of the open house models. It's over in Brentwood, close to your school.

Seeing my mother smile at this news makes me happy. I smile at him. "Would I see Andrea if we moved there?"

Yes, she helps out with the maintenance.

"That would be nice, Mr. Garcia. I'd really liked or that. Thank you." We move into Mr. Garcia's complex the next week. The condo is luxurious. It's such a nice change from the drab, run down apartment we were renting. There's little toy poodle in the next unit that runs over to our walkway and starts licking my hand.

"Watch out! He's killer!" An elderly white haired gentleman walks over and picks up the tiny canine. "This is Oscar and I'm Arnold Jacobs. You must be the new neighbors.

"Yes" I nod. "We just moved in. I'm Evie and my mother's Claire.

"Well, Evie. I can tell you, that you're going to like it here." There's safe walking trails along the golf course, and a nice pool. Oops, gotta go, the Mrs. is calling." I smile at Mr. Jacob's retreating back. He was so nice compared to Mr. Johnson.

I walk over to investigate the golf course, while my mother settles into our condo. When I see all of the elderly patrons, strolling through their residence gardens, I realize this is mostly a senior complex.  At the club house, I see a familiar face. It's Greg. "Hey, Evie! What are you doing here?"

"My mom and I just moved into the complex. Do you work here?"

"Yes, I got a job caddying this summer from Mr. Garcia. I'm done for the day, I'll show you the trails."

As Greg and I walk the golf course circuit, he tells me how nice Mr. Garcia is. "It's a shame, his wife passed away last winter. She had stomach cancer."

"Oh, that's so sad."

As we're rounding the course and heading back to the club house, I see a tall figure standing on the green's hilltop. The silhouetted figure waves at me. In the distance, I hear my mother calling. "Evie! Where are you. The lone figure looks towards the condos. I'd recognize those long legs, curly hair and sharp nose anywhere. It's Ryan!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro