15. Strangers.

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Hello, Zia," the woman greeted. She was dressed in black skinny jeans, a worn leather jacket that belonged to a man, and her hair was let loose to frame her face. "My name is Aurora."

"Uh, hey." I took a step back, assessing her. Aurora didn't look threatening, not one bit, not until you looked into her sharp eyes. "Do I know you?"

"No," her mouth stretched into a small smile. "But, I do."

My eyes narrowed. "Okay, that's not creepy at all."

She laughed, the sound easing her features and humanizing her.

"Damn it, Rho!" A tall guy came rushing from behind her. "I told you to wait for me." She rolled her eyes. "And, I specifically told you not to scare the child." He sounded exasperated.

"I didn't -"

"I'm not a child." 

The three of us lapsed into silence before a chuckle slipped from the guy's twitching lips.

"Oh, well, she reminds me of you, Rho."

"Shut up, Aidan."

"What do you want?" My hands were trembling as I stuffed them deep into my pockets. My heart pulsated harder. 

Aurora's face softened. "I'm not sure if you've seen the news, but, a year ago, corrupt organizations of human and sex trafficking, drug cartels, mafias have been exposed and -"

"I did." I didn't intend to be curt, or impolite. But, in my defense, they were strangers. Strangers bringing up topics I've buried so deep that my brain short-circuits whenever I tried bringing them up. "Who would've thought that many business icons would be involved? Shocking." My voice came out monotonous.

She looked away. Aidan chipped in, "What she's trying to say is-"

"It's getting late and I have to go home." My sweaty palms almost slid off the handles.

"My mother was one of those girls, just like yours." Her eyes bore into mine and I dropped my bike.

My lungs constricted. "Don't."

"She was trafficked, sold, abused, raped, and forced into drug consumption. She never gave up, though."

"Mine did." I heaved. "Mine did. She gave up on herself. She gave up on me."

"So did my mother."

"We're not the same." My voice had risen by now, in contrast to her chill tone and stoic face.

"No, we're not."

Aidan stepped closer. "Zia, we're not here to hurt you. We're here to help."

"Doesn't feel like it," I sniffled. "I don't want to talk about it." My eyes burned from the unshed tears and my chest rose and fell rapidly. "Just leave me alone. Please."

Silence encased us yet again. My back was to them as I tried to calm my breathing and regain control over my raging emotions. My vision blurred and my limbs felt weak.

"Zia?" I could feel myself sinking to the ground before collapsing. "Zia!" Aurora was soon wrapping me in her arms, her embrace warm and secure. "It's okay. You're okay. Breathe with me, yeah?"

Her voice came in and out in a haze but I could feel her placing my hands against her chest and belly. 

"Come on. Inhale, hold. Exhale, hold. Focus on my breathing." She kept repeating until the fog over my eyes cleared and my lungs expanded with fresh air. "You're doing great, Zia." 

It felt like forever before my breathing returned to normal. "Thank you."

"Come on." She helped me up on the bench and I could sense the hidden strength in her lithe body. Aidan handed me a bottle of water and I thanked him as well before Aurora asked him to leave us alone for a bit. "I'm sorry," was the first thing she said after he walked away. "I didn't intend to come off as inconsiderate or a creep."

"But you did."

She tried her best not to glare at me. "Yes, and I'm sorry."

My throat felt like hundreds of pins and needles scratching at it from the inside so I drank some more.

"I don't want to talk about her."

"I know. We're not going to talk about her. Your mother-" 

"She's not my mother-"

"-wants to talk to you." I froze, my mouth agape and my eyes wide. "We've set up a non-profit organization to help the victims and their families. In our medical facilities, we offer them mental and physical treatments. Your mother is one of our patients and her only request was you."

"How...why...?" I stuttered.

"Many of the victims lost their families. Either dead or want nothing to do with their children. Your mother was disowned by hers."

"And now, all of a sudden, realized that she has a daughter?" I scoffed. "Sorry you had to come all this way for a no, but no. No, I won't go."

She smiled, her hand fixing my disheveled strands before handing me a card. "You can find her here." She stood up. "I know you're as much of a victim as she is. Life has been unfair to both of you." I had to hold back another scoff. "I didn't promise her anything and simply did as I was requested, the rest is up to you, both of you."

My knuckles turned white with how hard my grip tightened on the flimsy card. 

"You're not alone, Zia. There are others like you."

I watched her back as she left, soon reunited with Aidan and they held hands till they reached a fancy car parked to the side.

What did she know about my life? I huffed. Coming here and daring to tell me my mother asked for me. What right did she have to request to see or talk to me? She gave me up long before the court declared me abandoned and now she thinks I'll go running back to her just because her family disowned her?

Before I knew it, I was slowing down in our driveway with hot, fat droplets burning down my cheeks. I wiped them away harshly, grateful Cathie and Will didn't come back from the store just yet.

Sleep evaded me that night as I tossed and turned endlessly. My fingers flexed restlessly and I cracked my joints every few minutes.

What could she possibly want to say to me? What did she even want from me? 

As I lay there in bed, my mind was all over the place. Every time I closed my eyes, images of my gray dress getting torn off from my small frame flooded my head and I could feel the hatred seeping back into my system.

I've buried it deep within for so long, hoping it'll just go away. But, it didn't. It never went away and instead kept festering below the surface.

Neither Cathie nor Will commented on the bags under my eyes or the blank face I couldn't shake off. I did, however, find my favorite herbal tea waiting for me, a new book beside it, and fresh cookies.

My eyes brimmed with tears and I quickly excused myself to the bathroom.

The more I stared at my reflection, the more I started to hate, just hate.

I hated myself and I hated my biological mother. I hated my anxiety and I hated the mental breakdown I was having. I hated my mind and I wished I could turn it off.

But, most of all, I hated that I didn't want to hate anymore.

The comfort the feeling offered was destructive but familiar. It has always been simmering under the surface and I was stupid enough to turn a blind eye to it - maybe if I ignore it, it'll dissolve on its own.

Wrong. I was so wrong.

"Zia?" Catherine knocked softly at the door. "Zee, sweetheart, are you okay?"

"Yeah," I croaked. "Yeah. Just an upset tummy. Must've eaten something bad yesterday." The lies flowed out.

"Oh, my." She rushed off, undoubtedly searching for some meds.

My gaze nearly burned a hole in the card Aurora gave me. I carried it with me wherever I went, not only afraid someone might find it but also because I already knew what I wanted to do.

I deserved an explanation and I was going to seek out answers. My familiarity was further disturbed by the strangers but, in a way, I was thankful for the opportunity they offered.

Denial was a monster and it was eating me alive. I was going to put an end to it. 

A/N: It's Aurora y'all! The MC from Eurêka (ONC2019) and she's still as rough around the edges as ever 😝

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro