🌪️ 7. Rescue

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Courage is found in unlikely places." – Gildor

The house had been torn in half leaving the interior exposed. Two walls with the windows blown out leaned against each other with the delicate, oscillating balance of a house of cards.

"This whole mess can come down any minute." Zane's shoulder muscles worked as he moved smashed lumber and debris. Halle worked by his side as they desperately searched for the little girl. Next to them, James scowled as he observed the two.

"If it was up to me, I'd have her outta there in no time." Used to being in charge, the corpulent official huffed and paced in the background.

"Stay back!" Zane warned. In response, the petulant public servant kicked a cracked but colorful Little Mermaid toilet seat lid his way.

"Momma!" Faint cries rose out of the structure's rubble covered basement.

Halle held her breath as Zane cleared a space that was large enough for his upper body. "Guys, hold my feet. I need to drop a little lower." With the James and Halle bracing his ankles, he slithered head first into the debris and disappeared from view. "I see her." She's covered in mud...she's not hurt. I'm comin' darlin. Stay put."

Halle heard faint crying as Zane made contact with the child. "I'm Zane. Can you reach my hand, Maria?" A muffled whimper and then a tearful response. "No."

"Pass me your little dog. That way you'll be able to reach up higher so I can pull you up."

"I'm afraid she'll get hurt." The creature barked, a sharp high-pitched noise.

"I'll be careful. What's your pup's name?"

"Tia. She's a Tea Cup terrier."

"Don't worry," Zane soothed. "I promise I'll be real careful with Tia. Your mom's waitin right outside for you. We'll have you back to her in no time."

Halle exhaled when she heard shuffling debris as Maria moved. She heard the puppy being handed up to Zane.

"Good girl-I got Tia," Zane said.

The muscles in her arms ached and she readjusted her hold on Zane's powerful calf.

No pain. No gain.

James grabbed Zane's belt and hauled him backwards. The storm chaser's long legs slid out of the debris. A moment later, his muddied upper body appeared clutching a minute canine. He handed the trembling Tea Cup terrier into Halle's waiting arms. She examined the dog. Miraculously, the shaking terrier was unhurt.

Halle gave the dog to the mayor, who gently wrapped Tia in his jacket, before she returned to help James and Zane. Her heart quickened when she saw that the sky had darkened.

Please God, let us get her out of there before another twister hits.

Above them, the whole shambling structure shifted a few inches and a huge beam landed on Zane's back.

Shit!

Underground, the girl screamed.

Hearing the crash, Amy and Naseem left the girl's distraught mother and ran up to them. As James struggled to keep the beam's weight off of Zane's legs and back, Halle scanned the exposed ceiling beams of the adjacent wall. "I need help," he yelled. "I can't hold this beam much longer."

"I told you this wasn't a good idea." The mayor hugged the puppy.

"Why don't you shut your trap and stop complaining?" Amy snapped.

Ignoring him, Halle knocked over a yellow propane tank. Using her foot she rolled the tank next to James. "We need to set up a winch to lift this beam off Zane. "Amy, I need rope.' She nodded towards the Weather Warrior's vehicle. "I saw some in the The Interceptor's trunk. Amy nodded and raced to the storm chasing vehicle. "Nasseem, help James keep the beam's weight off Zane." With Halle's help, Nasseem and James shoved the propane tank under the heavy beam. "That should hold." She knelt down next to Zane. "How're you doing, boss?"

"I think my shoulder's busted, but otherwise I'm peachy," Zane groaned.

"Hold tight, we're going to get you and Maria out of there."

Amy returned with the rope and handed it to the determined storm chaser. Halle turned to Naseem, "I'm going up into the rafters. Stay with Zane." She caught Jame's eye with a laser gaze. "Follow me." Coiling the climbing rope she slung it around her neck.

Inch by inch, Halle and James worked their way higher into the trembling structure. Halfway up, Jame's foot slipped and he clutched at some electrical wires hanging from the ceiling. A huge crystal chandelier crashed down and missed Halle by a few inches. She winced as dust and glass shards flew into her face. "Stay there! If you do that again, I'll throw you out the freakin window."

James frowned at Halle as she leaned against the window sill and observed the troublesome sky. "What are you doing? Why did you stop?"

He couldn't see the shiver of fear the rippled through her body. She gritted her teeth and turned to him. "Checking how high the drop is to see if it's worth it."

"What?" He hissed. His boots skidded on a broken piano top and the keys made a discordant crash.

"You're too heavy to go any farther. I'm lighter. I'll rig the rope and throw it down to you." She braced herself against the window and took a deep breath to steady her nerves.

God, I hope I don't kill all of us.

Prompt# 85 bolded and inserted in 3 paragraphs above end of chapter.

Total Word Count 8,229

(*model for picture is from Miamiherald.com)

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro