Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A/N: The story would be narrated mostly in the third person.

The moon hung high in the night sky, casting an ethereal glow over the city of Veridian. Within the walls, the city bustled with life, with its citizens seeking refuge in the comfort of their homes. On the outskirts, near the imposing gates that protected the kingdom, a small group of watchmen stood vigilant, doing their duty to safeguard the city from any threats.

As the night grew darker, an eerie silence settled upon the gates. Suddenly, a rustling sound echoed through the stillness. The watchmen exchanged uneasy glances, and a sense of foreboding gripped their hearts as they scanned the surrounding darkness.

Then, out of the shadows, emerged a figure. At first glance, it appeared to be an innocent creature, a rabbit with piercing red eyes that seemed to glow with an otherworldly light, licking an unknown substance from its paw. As the watchmen focused their gaze, a chilling feeling rushed them as the rabbit squealed and transformed into the most horrifying thing ever.

It massively increased in size, as its eyes now resemble headlights with their ominous glow, sharp claws, and teeth. The once white coat of the rabbit is now tainted black, and with an extended tail, he grabs a watchman by the neck and smashes him into the ground, with his body in a gruesome position as blood spills from the lifeless body.

The other watchmen quickly ran into the city to call for backup. A long and loud screech was heard outside the gates. The rabbit monster then made its way to the wall and started to climb the wall with its claws, letting out another screech.

Most of the watchmen couldn't do anything but run as the monster leapt into the city. The few that stayed tried to attack the monstrosity, but its movement was swift and agile, filling them with a sense of dread. Its glowing eyes show a hunger for destruction. But it wasn't the rabbit's fault; it appears to have been the influence of a malevolent presence.

The watchtower bell was rung, and more soldiers came for backup. The soldiers came with crossbows and lit their arrows on fire, shooting simultaneously at the monster. It groaned and stepped back in fear of the fire until an arrow was shot at the tail of the monster. The monster screeched in pain as the tail caught fire so quickly.

Then, in a split second, the monster had already been on fire, screeching and writhing in pain. It fell to the ground and continued burning. After the flames died down, The small rabbit lay there with burns all over its body, breathing slowly.

The soldiers surrounded the poor thing. Then they realized dark magic was in play.

Amelia smiled gracefully as she looked around the elegantly adorned room, filled with the soft chatter of noble ladies and the delicate clinking of china. The tea party she had organized at her family's opulent estate was in full swing, a display of her impeccable taste and status as a prominent figure among the aristocracy. Her gown of intricate lace and rich silk accentuated her poise and refinement.

Amelia Hawthorne is the first daughter of Duke and Duchess Hawthorne. An epitome of beauty and grace. Strawberry blonde hair that looks almost golden in the sunlight. Elegant blue eyes and wonderful porcelain skin a rare beauty that men fail to ignore.

Apart from her beauty, she's also a genius, excelling in her studies and being a force to reckon with among nobles like herself. She is constantly complimented and surrounded by people who sing her praises nonstop.

She is even doted upon by her parents; they are always ready to make their precious little flower happy, no matter what.

You can say Amelia Hawthorne has a lovely life. People who worshipped her, parents who doted on her and would do anything to make her happy, and men who endlessly pursued her and sent countless gifts as a declaration of their love

Amelia herself knew she had the life anyone would be envious of; who wouldn't want to be her? She was amazing and had a beauty that could only be on par with a goddess.

The tea party started with another round of compliments and words of admiration.

"Your estate is as beautiful as its owner!"

"Your dress complements your beauty!"

"You look like a goddess just holding that teacup!"

She smiled inwardly, enjoying every single thing they said about her.

'Fufu, I am really that amazing. Somehow I can't get enough of their compliments, even though they don't do justice to the level of my beauty and grace,' she thought as she gently sipped on her tea. Soon they started talking about the latest fashion trends.

Unfortunately, she didn't have that much of a personality.

It was a lively discussion, and Amelia contributed to the discussion by giving a bright smile every time she spoke. But then she noticed a lady at the end of the table looking forlorn, rarely speaking at all.

"Lady Clarissa!" She called to the woman, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Is everything okay?" Amelia didn't care about how Lady Clarissa felt; she just didn't like a dull atmosphere.

"Ah!" Lady Clarissa smiled wistfully. "I am fine; thank you so much for caring!"

"Surely something bothers you!" Amelia smiled at Lady Clarissa, who was incredibly touched by Amelia's 'concern'. She started wailing and bawling her eyes out, which startled everyone at the table.

"Did I do something wrong?" Amelia asked when Lady Clarissa wiped her tears with a handkerchief.

"No!" Clarissa answered, "I am sorry!"

"It appears that the lady doesn't know of Lady Clarissa's predicament!" Lady Sollen, who sat beside Amelia, spoke. Amelia looked at her, confused.

"She just got a divorce from her husband after he confessed to having an affair with her cousin!" Amelia made a small 'o'

"I didn't mean to ruin everyone's good time!" Clarissa cried while everyone consoled her. Amelia felt a pang of jealousy; everyone's attention was shifted from her to Lady Clarissa.

'She is probably faking it!' Amelia thought inwardly. So after an hour of crying and consoling, the party came to a close.

"Lady Amelia!" Lady Clarissa called her, with her eyes puffy and red. "Thank you for caring about me!" She hugged Amelia. Amelia awkwardly hugged her back and watched the women leave.

After they left she heaved a big sigh and went upstairs leaving the servant to clean up after the party. Then she thought about Lady Clarissa and her cheating ex-husband, who simultaneously maintained a relationship with her and her cousin. How despicable!

A woman of the same build and matching hair colour stepped out of Amelia's room.

"Maddie!" Amelia called out to her sister and sprinted to hug her. Maddie shifted uncomfortably into the arms of her sister.

Madeline Hawthorne is the younger twin of Amelia. While they shared similar hair colours, Madeline had less striking brown eyes and didn't possess the same level of beauty as her sister, despite being twins.

But Amelia still loved Madeline, and to her, Madeline adored her. They were inseparable.

"Melly," Madeline said, "you are hugging me too tight!" Amelia released her and giggled.

"You didn't come to my tea party!" Amelia whined cutely, which stunned the maid who passed by.

"Because. I have somewhere to go now, sister!" Madeline chuckled. "I promise I will be back soon."
Amelia nodded as Madeline touched her shoulder and left her. She skipped happily to her room and relaxed on her bed.

A few minutes later, she heard a knock at her door. She stood from her bed and opened the door.

"Christopher, you came!" She smiled happily and hugged him. He brought her a bouquet of pink roses since Amelia liked them so much. Christopher Wallace was the third son of Viscount Wallace as well as Amelia's fiance. Her parents didn't approve of their relationship, but because Amelia loved him, they later accepted him on the condition that he marry into their family and become a Hawthorne.

"I wanted to see you!" He smiled. His smile made Amelia feel warm inside. He had brown, shoulder-length hair with brown eyes. In short, he was an average-looking man with great luck.

"Sure, let me change first, then we will talk!" She smiled and closed the door to change into more comfortable clothes.

They walked hand in hand in the garden, enjoying the fresh scent of flowers. It was already springtime, and the flowers in the garden had bloomed, making the scene more romantic. They sat at the gazebo to sit and chat more.

Suddenly, he took a small box out of his pocket and handed it to her. She gleefully took the box and opened it. It was a ring with a pink diamond on it. She squealed and took it from the box.

"I wanted to give you a proper proposal fit for a queen like you." He kneeled on one knee beside her. Amelia was touched.

"You didn't have to. Besides, I already did that!" Amelia looked at the ring happily. The fact that it was Amelia who proposed first because he was to marry into her family annoyed him a bit. This was just him trying to save face.

"But men are to propose to the woman they love, aren't they?" Amelia nodded as he slipped the ring on Amelia's fingers. Amelia looked at the ring in her hand with a big grin on her face.

"I love it! Thank you." She smiled at him warmly.

"My sister would love to meet you. But she's gone out; I know you two get along so well!" Amelia told her fiance, knowing the good relationship between him and her sister. He hummed in response.

"Well, I am staying till dinner, so I guess we will still meet later!" He said as they continued their chat.

After the walk in the garden, Amelia decided to take a nap while Christopher kept himself busy in the library. She has been feeling a lot more lethargic these days, so she's often very tired.

When she woke up, She discovered that it was 30 minutes after six in the evening. and it was already past dinner time. She heard scolding at her door, and it sounded like her personal maid, Emma.

Amelia got up to check on what was going on and met Emma berating a younger maid in front of her door. When the younger maid saw Amelia, she instantly became pale.

"What's wrong?" Amelia asked, annoyed. Whatever the situation was, it was still disrespectful to make a noise at someone else's door.

"I am sorry, my lady. I hope I didn't disturb your sleep."

"What's all this?" Amelia asked. Emma dragged the younger maid by the ear into the lady's room and locked the door.

"What's...!"

"My Lady. I caught this imp putting something in your food before delivering it to your room."Amelia was stunned by her personal maid's accusations.

"I did not!" She defended herself.

"Liar! Spawn of the devil! What did Lady Amelia do to deserve your wicked deeds?"

"I didn't!" She spoke again with less vigour than the first. She looked at her feet with a guilty expression. Amelia, still stunned by the whole situation, decided to approach her calmly.

"Don't lie, please. Is it true?" Amelia asked the maid. The guilt was unbearable to the maid now that she was caught; apart from that, she knew she was already in hot water. She went on her knees and begged for Amelia's forgiveness.

"Lady, please have mercy. My parents need help. I only do this because of the money!" She said, "Your sister was the one who put me in this!" Amelia first laughed, and the two maids looked at her in shock.

"No, no, no!" She stopped laughing. "Don't put such labels on my innocent sister. You are already in enough trouble!"

"But it's true. My lady, your sister despises  you." She brought out a small blue bottle with a golden cap and intricate designs. "It is expensive; I could never afford it on my own!"

"Stop talking this instant!" Amelia snapped at the quivering maid. Emma quickly intervened.

"I believe her because it is obvious your sister despises you, my lady. Do believe her!"

"Not you too! Madeline adores me; she treasures me. She can't do such a thing to me! I am her lovely sister."

"My lady...!" Emma interjected

"You know what? I am going to tell Maddie about this right now. Then we'll both deal with you." She pointed to the maid. She stormed out of her room, feeling so angry. She left the room immediately and felt light-headed and woozy, which was also a feeling she recently started to experience.

She heard two people talking. She walked closer to her room until she recognized the two voices she heard. Madeline and Christopher's. Wasn't he supposed to have left already?

She pressed her ear to the door.

"I can't wait till all this is over!" Madeline said

"I too think your sister is burdensome and too self-centred. She only cares about herself, so vain of her!" Christopher complained

"She won't be our problem anymore soon!" Madeline laughed

"But I still feel bad for her, though!"

"Why!" Madeline asked Christopher, "Don't tell me you are wavering already."

"Why? When the better half is here beside me. You are smart compared to your bimbo of a sister. How naive of her to think everyone is at her feet. You are more realistic and practical!"

"Aww...!" Madeline giggled "You always know what to say!"

"I love you, Madeline!"

"I love you too!" Amelia was shocked and devastated. Tears could not stop rolling down her eyes. The two people she thought adored her are scheming behind her back. She felt betrayed.

In quick steps, she made her way to her room and quickly closed the door. The two maids stared at her as she collapsed to the floor, bawling her eyes out. Emma could only pity her naive mistress.

"Why do they hate me?" She cried for a while before calming down. Then she proceeded to ask the maid, who was given the task of poisoning her questions.

"Have I been poisoned before?" The maid nodded.

"Yes. Since last month. It's slow poison; that's why you feel tired a lot these days; it's supposed to make you eventually die in your sleep."

"So when am I supposed to die?"

"Before this month's end!" The maid answered again. "This one is the most potent dose!"

"Is there a cure...or an antidote?"

"No, not that I know of, but I know where you can get your answer!" The maid said "The Darklane district is said to be the sorcerers' abode. They have the cure for the most potent toxin  there." Amelia sniffed and took the bottle from the maid.

"Please get well soon. I don't want blood to be on my hands!" The maid whispered. Emma glared at her in utter disgust.

"I should have thought about that before deciding to kill her off!" She sneered. Amelia clenched the bottle in her hand and resolved to pay a visit to the Darklane district. She couldn't afford to die like this.

A/N: This is my first time writing this type of story. I got inspired after seeing a lot of manhwas and novels. I hope I did well, and I also hope that you all enjoy it.
Lots of love💜

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro