30. Betrothed

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Lorne took the two suitcases from the trunk while I shouldered my backpack and picked up his satchel and the cooler bag. As the lid powered closed, he unlocked a door and led me through. "Mudroom plus ski and bike storage and workshop down here."

I followed him up the stairs and into a large cathedral-ceilinged space, a massive window dominating one end of it and a fieldstone wall and fireplace filling the other. As I tried to take it all in, I uttered a series of oh-my-gods and wows, finally managing something a bit more intelligent, "Spectacular! Absolutely spectacular."

"That's one of the reasons I chose this unit. The entire town centre laid out below us, and with all the lights, enchanting at night."

"Ummm. Haven't had a chance to look outside; the interior has held my eyes captive."

"Yeah, guess I've gotten used to it. Turn-of-the-century Whistler refined rustic. Each of the four units has a different interpretation of it, but this one has the best view." He set the suitcases down. "Come, let me give you a tour – start with the kitchen. Need to turn on the fridge and freezer before I forget."

"Turn on?"

"I had them cleaned and shut down three weeks ago when glacier skiing finished." He grimaced. "Should have phoned ahead and had them turned back on."

"Who does this for you?"

"First Resort, my property management service."

I nodded at the spotless appearance. "The cleaning, as well?"

"Everything." He opened the fridge door, lifting the red placard hanging from its top as he did. Then he leaned in and turned the temperature dial to the green mark. "They've developed systems to ensure nothing is missed."

Then while doing the same with the freezer, he added, "From marketing, booking and client greeting to cleaning and maintenance – a full soup to nuts deal."

"Could they grocery shop for us?"

"Great idea, Kate. That's one of their concierge services – many clients order a stocked kitchen and bar for arrival."

As we continued the tour, I asked, "An empty room? Why?"

"These units all have four en-suite bedrooms. I use one as an office and keep another ready for when my sister or parents visit – a guest bedroom, I suppose. I've not yet decided what to do with this one."

"Four bedrooms? So, catering to families?"

"More to groups – makes the weekly rental more affordable per person. First Resort's prime targets are Europe, Asia, and Australia." Lorne chuckled. "I sometimes have noisy neighbours when a larger group takes two or all three."

"Ummm. Thankfully, this is the quiet season."

"No, they're now about the same; mountain biking has caught up to skiing. Used to be about sixty per cent winter, but with the bike runs consistently called the best in the world, summer is slowly taking over as the busiest."

"Oh, wow! I missed that. So, the town's now a crazy party year-round."

"Yeah, no off-season."

"A great return on your investment."

"Far surpasses my salary – and far less stressful."

"You should resign."

"I need purpose."

"How about relaxing?" I smiled and shrugged. "Make your purpose sitting back and enjoying life."

"Would that I could, Kate, but I need to provide something for the greater whole – not only for me." Lorne paused and pursed his lips, nodding. "Since it appears we're going to spend our forever afters together, it's now appropriate to tell –"

My mouth smothered the rest of his words. A long, passionate kiss later, as we nibbled on each other's lips, I asked, "If that was a proposal, I accept."

Our mouths merged again, and when they parted, he took my hand and led me along the hall. "Perfect timing to show you our bedroom."

A long while later, as we lay in a connected cuddle, basking in the afterglow of mutual orgasms, I asked, "What were you saying before I cut you off?"

"About spending forever together?"

"No, not that. You were leading up to something about the greater whole."

"Ah, yes, that. My application for Provincial Court Judge is now in front of the Judicial Council. This is why I've been careful with my involvement in the investigation."

"You want to be a judge?"

"A goal I set for myself not long after I began my law studies."

"Ummm. Thus the postgrad."

"Postgrads. I also did a doctorate."

"Oh, something else I missed."

"Yeah, between the creative writing course and bumping into you again on the Champagne tour."

"So many lost years." I churned my hips and felt Cyclops swelling in response. "We need to make up for them. Take me to another, Doctor Wilson."

He chuckled and fell in step with Miss Fanny's enticements.

A delightfully long while later, as we showered, I asked, "Do you refer to yourself as Doctor?"

"No, that confuses people. Most haven't moved beyond its medical meaning. Lorne or Mr Wilson works."

"But on documents?"

"My signature block is Lorne A Wilson, QC, LLD."

"Hmmm, QC? I've seen it but never paused to find what it means."

"Queen's Counsel. An honorific granted by the government in recognition of experience, professionalism and dedication."

"So, a step toward becoming a judge."

"Not necessarily, but it's easier to be appointed to the bench with it."

A while later, dried and dressed, we sat at the kitchen island nibbling on jambon persillé and cheese, sipping Terravista Viognier and talking. I lifted my glass, swirled it and brought it to my nose. "This is still my favourite of their recent vintages, but a far cry from the Montrachet the last time we did this."

"Would I had some of it here to celebrate."

"Celebrate? With the pickle we're in, what's to celebrate?"

"Us. Our betrothal."

"Oh, God! Need to forget the horrors out there."

"Not forget, Kate – that's dangerous. Be aware of them, but push them into the background while we focus on discovering the marvels of the newfound us."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro