Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Cedric's POV

Sitting in the dimly lit meeting room, the air thick with the scent of worn leather and aged wood, I watched as my father, Alpha Roderick, carefully pulled out a faded photograph from a worn envelope. The picture was old, the edges curled, and the image slightly blurred. My brow furrowed as I leaned in closer, trying to make out the face of the man in the photo. He looked vaguely familiar, but there was no clear recognition.

"Why are you showing me this?" I asked, the confusion evident in my voice.

"This photo was originally in Elara's locket," my father said, his tone heavy with unspoken concern. "I asked the jeweler in the human town to replace this photo with the one of her mother and her baby—so she wouldn't see this."

I nodded, absorbing his words, but the picture still puzzled me. "Is this her father?" I asked, a mix of curiosity and unease creeping into my thoughts.

My father's gaze softened, but his eyes held a seriousness that made my stomach tighten. "I'm not quite sure, son. But whoever he is, we need to protect Elara from him. Something about this man feels... dangerous."

A wave of protectiveness surged through me, my wolf stirring with the same instinct. I could feel the subtle rumble of agreement in my chest. Elara was more than just a pack member to me; she was my sister in every way that mattered. Her presence had healed wounds in our family, especially in my mother, who had been in a dark place before we found Elara. The Moon Goddess had blessed us by bringing her into our lives.

"I'll take care of her, Dad," I said firmly, my voice laced with determination. "I'll make sure nothing happens to her. Not while I'm around."

My father nodded a hint of pride in his eyes. "Good, son. Now, I need to inform Erik about the rogue activities. They've been relentless lately, and I don't like the pattern I'm seeing. It's as if they're probing our defenses."

"Understood," I replied, rising from my seat. "If I see or hear anything from them, I'll let you know immediately."

As I left the meeting room, the weight of the conversation still hung over me, but I pushed it aside as I felt a scratch in my mind—a mind link from Arden.

"Hey, just wanted to let you know Elara and I are heading to the clearing to finish up her artwork," Arden's voice echoed in my thoughts.

I frowned, my wolf immediately alert. If they were going to the clearing, they'd likely be out until dusk—way too long for my liking. And, truthfully, the thought of the chicken dinner getting cold was just too much to bear.

"Hang on, I'm coming over," I replied, already making my way down the stairs.

"Dude, can't you let me have a moment with her?" Arden groaned through the link, and I could almost see the frustrated expression on his face.

"Nope, can't do," I said, smirking. "I'll bring the chicken and her sweet treats."

There was a long sigh on the other end, followed by a reluctant agreement. "Ugh, fine. We'll be at the clearing."

Shaking my head, I walked into the kitchen where Mary was peeling oranges, the citrus scent filling the room. It reminded me of Elara, specifically her bright orange hair that always stood out no matter where she was. I couldn't help but smile at the thought, my chest warming with affection.

"Mary, can you help me pack some food?" I asked, putting on my best innocent expression, the one I knew she couldn't resist.

She huffed, rolling her eyes at me. "You're lucky you're cute, Cedric," she muttered, but she was already reaching for the picnic basket.

Together, we packed the food—warm, juicy chicken, a few sandwiches, and of course, the white chocolates Elara loved so much. As Mary handed me the basket, she gave me a look that was half exasperation, half fondness.

"Don't let the food get cold now," she said, wagging a finger at me.

"I won't," I promised, flashing her a grin before heading out the door.

The late afternoon sun cast long shadows as I made my way to the clearing. The path was familiar, lined with towering trees whose leaves whispered in the breeze. The clearing itself was a secluded spot, surrounded by thick forest, with a small stream running through it. The sound of water flowing over smooth rocks always brought a sense of calm, and the grass was soft underfoot, perfect for lounging or, in Elara's case, sketching.

As I walked, I couldn't help but think of Elara—how her presence had changed our lives for the better. Even though she wasn't born of the pack, she was one of us in every way that mattered. My wolf and I agreed: we would protect her with everything we had. The thought of that man, the one in the photo, being her father... It didn't sit right with me. Whoever he was, he wasn't going to get close to her. Not on my watch.

Lost in thought, I nearly missed the sound of Arden's voice through the trees. I stepped into the clearing and spotted him first, his tall frame leaning against a tree, arms crossed as he waited. Elara was already setting up her sketchpad, her fiery hair catching the light in a way that made her look almost ethereal.

"Brought the goods," I called out, holding up the basket.

Arden turned his expression a mix of amusement and mild annoyance. "You just couldn't resist, could you?"

"Not when chicken's involved," I shot back with a grin, setting the basket down on the grass.

Elara looked up, her eyes lighting up when she saw me. "Cedric, you didn't have to—"

"But I wanted to," I interrupted, my tone softening as I met her gaze. "Besides, I needed an excuse to escape the meeting with Dad."

Arden snorted. "More like you needed an excuse to raid the kitchen."

I shrugged, unbothered. "Maybe. But hey, now we can have a picnic."

Elara laughed, the sound light and airy, like a melody carried by the wind. It made my heart feel full, and for a moment, all the worries about rogues and mysterious men faded away. This was what mattered—these moments with the people I cared about, keeping them safe and happy.

"Alright, let's eat before the food gets cold," I said, settling down on the grass beside them.

As we started unpacking the food, I couldn't help but steal glances at Elara, watching the way she smiled at the small things, like the way the sunlight danced on the water or how the chicken was perfectly crispy. This was why I'd do anything to protect her, why my wolf and I were so determined to keep her safe.

Because Elara wasn't just a part of our pack; she was the heart of it. As I watched Elara sketch, I couldn't help but notice the intensity of her strokes. She was drawing a figure near the water, a woman shrouded in shadows, her posture reflecting a deep sense of fear and anxiety. The details were hauntingly vivid—the way the woman's hands trembled, the darkness that seemed to loom over her, and the turbulent waves crashing around her as if mirroring her inner turmoil. The clearing, usually a place of peace, now seemed to amplify the emotions on her canvas. The sunlight filtered through the trees, casting dappled shadows that danced across her work, making the scene even more evocative.

I turned my attention to Arden, who was watching Elara with an expression I knew all too well—admiration mixed with something deeper. A fresh cut at the corner of his lips from our earlier argument was a reminder of how easily things could escalate between us. The argument had erupted when Arden returned to the pack house in his wolf form; the scent of his arousal mixed with a hint of Elara's essence sent my wolf on edge. I knew they hadn't gone beyond a kiss—yet that single act felt monumental and dangerous. Right now, I could smell the arousal coming from both of them, thick in the air.

"You couldn't keep your hands to yourself, huh?" I sent through our mind link, frustration seeping into my tone.

Arden rolled his eyes, but I could feel the tension in his thoughts. "Relax, Cedric. I know what I'm doing. I already told her how I feel."

"And?" I pressed, my worry deepening.

"And what?" he replied, a hint of exasperation in his tone.

"What did she say, dumbass?" I snapped, my patience fraying.

Arden's mental sigh echoed back. "She understands our situation, but I can't let her go. Even my wolf can't. We've been like this since we were kids."

His words struck me hard. I sensed the sincerity in his thoughts and the weight of his struggle. This wasn't just a fleeting phase for him; it was deep-rooted. But that only fueled my anxiety. "I just don't want her to get hurt, Arden. She means more to me than anything, and what if you find your mate? " My wolf growled with unease, feeding my frustration. The thought of Elara facing heartbreak was unbearable.

"I know," he admitted, his thoughts heavy. "I don't want to hurt her either. But right now... I've felt like this for so long, Cedric."

I understood his determination, but it was still a risk—a big one. "Alright," I finally conceded. "Just don't screw this up, Arden."

He didn't respond, but I felt his gratitude through the link. He knew I was stepping back from my role as protector, putting faith in him to ensure Elara wouldn't get hurt.

"There's something else I need to tell you," Arden said, his tone suddenly serious. His eyes remained fixed on Elara, who was lying back on the grass, lost in her own world, a half-bitten piece of white chocolate in her hand.

"What is it? " I asked, taking a bite of my fries, which I'd dipped in ranch dressing.

"When we were at the pharmacy earlier, Elara bumped into a guy," Arden began, and instantly my guard shot up. A guy? My wolf bristled at the thought, protectiveness surging within me.

"Tell me," I urged, my mind racing.

"I don't know much, but when they collided, he looked at her like he knew her. It was creepy, Cedric. Elara was scared—her body was shaking, though I don't think she even realized it."

My gaze snapped back to Elara, who was still admiring the sky, oblivious to the turmoil around her. I felt a surge of anger and protectiveness, my jaw tightening. "What did he look like? " I demanded, keeping my emotions in check.

"Tall, dark hair, pale skin... and his eyes, they were almost too sharp, like he was seeing something we couldn't," Arden described, his thoughts laced with worry. I clenched my fists; this was serious. I needed to report this to my father. If this man was a threat, we had to act fast.

Suddenly, Elara's voice broke through our silent conversation. "Can you guys stop that?"

Arden and I both turned to her, surprised by the interruption. "Stop what?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

Elara frowned, a cute pout forming on her lips that tugged at my heart. "The mind-linking. You guys are too quiet, and it's weird."

Arden chuckled softly, moving to sit beside Elara. He lay down next to her, a soft smile on his face as they shared a moment of easy companionship. I watched them, feeling a mix of protectiveness and worry. The bond they were building felt dangerous, especially knowing Arden's destined mate might someday arrive and disrupt whatever they had.

Honestly, I couldn't bear the thought of their relationship changing, of them growing apart when that day came. The idea of losing what we had—this close-knit friendship that had been my lifeline—left me feeling uneasy. I just wanted things to stay the same, but I knew the world had other plans.

Arden moved to sit beside her. He lay down next to her, a soft smile on his face. I watched them, feeling a mix of emotions.

"Don't fuss over it, El," Arden said, his tone playful. He moved to lay beside her, wrapping an arm around her waist. "We're just talking pack business. Boring stuff, really," he teased, trying to lighten the mood.

I watched them, my protective instincts still on high alert, but I couldn't help but smile at how comfortable they were together. She elbowed him lightly in the side, making a show of being annoyed, but the smile on her face betrayed her.

"Sure..." she muttered, clearly not convinced, but she let it slide, nestling closer to Arden. Arden pulled her a little closer, snuggling up to her side.

"Don't worry about it. If I had to hear Cedric whine one more time, I'd have fallen asleep," he joked, earning a soft laugh from her. She was beautiful, my sister, and I'd do anything to protect her.

Despite the lighthearted moment, my thoughts drifted back to the man in the pharmacy. I glanced at Elara, her beautiful face relaxed, her eyes sparkling with joy as she laughed with Arden. I would do anything to protect her from whatever threat this man posed. As the sky darkened and the stars began to appear, I knew I had to talk to Dad about this as soon as we returned.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro