0 8 | e i g h t

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

During lunchtime, Nikhil announced that he would be going back to the base the next day.

"Good, and don't come back until you can get your senses back. Come home with humanity or else don't even come," his mother scoffed.

Nikhil left the food and went up to his room in anger.

Sahasra brought dinner to Maa. "Please eat maa."

"No I won't eat until he apologises to you," her mother-in-law said.

"Maa, eat. Otherwise I won't train," Sahasra said, and her mother-in-law broke down. "We shouldn't have gotten him married. I never thought he would have behaved this way. I feel so guilty, I'm sorry beta."

Sahasra convinced Maa that it wasn't her fault, and she shouldn't be blamed for Nikhil's deeds. Then she took another plate and went into her room.

When she entered, Nikhil frowned and continued to stare at his laptop.

Sahasra sat on the edge of the bed, and kept the food on the bedside table. "Dinner is here."

He ignored her and continued staring at his laptop.

"Honestly, I should thank you for the 'torture' you gave me in the morning. I'm sure it helped me to be stronger," she said. "But that doesn't mean I will forget how you vented your personal anger on me. Eat your dinner or don't eat — I don't care." Then she went out of the room.

Nikhil sighed and ate his dinner quietly. While eating, he was in deep thought. He accepted the fact that he was being harsh and venting his grief and anger on someone who has nothing to do with his past.

He looked at the watch again. Nobody knew the truth. The grief wasn't due to the death of Varnika, it was due to her betrayal

He started to recall the incidents in his mind that had taken place two months ago.

He remembered that on his batch's off day, everyone was going for a picnic. Varnika said that she was sick, so she stayed back. Nikhil was about to board the jeep when he realised that he had forgotten his wallet at the reception.

Outside the base, he saw Varnika. She was going somewhere. He told his mates that he won't be coming for the picnic and decided to follow her. After a while, he saw her meeting Raj — his colleague.

They both walked together and Nikhil continued to follow them. He was getting a bad feeling. Suddenly Varnika and Raj stopped and got into a car. Nikhil went to the car and was shocked to see them both making out!

He banged his fists furiously on the window. Varnika and Raj looked shocked and panicked. Raj started the car and sped off. Nikhil followed them with a nearby bike but before he reached, they crashed into an oncoming truck. Raj survived but Varnika didn't.

He came out of his reverie. Since that day, Nikhil has been angry and furious at her. She never truly loved him, and what he thought was love from his side, vanished. He was filled with grief and anger, and he was removing it on Sahasra — who isn't even aware.

He went to the bathroom and turned on the cold shower. He had to control his thoughts and feelings.

I'm projecting my anger in the wrong place 

Dad is ashamed of me
I'm venting my grief and anger on someone who doesn't even know the truth

Tears started flowing down his cheeks. He hung his head. A small voice from his heart started counselling him.

Time to let go, Nikhil.
Let it go.
It's not worth it.
Start afresh.

He hit his hand on the bathroom wall.

Your dad is ashamed of you, he would never have approved your actions, his heart said.

He realised that he had to rectify his actions. He had to let go of her betrayal. He decided that he would apologise to Sahasra before he leaves.

Same night, when Sahasra came into the bedroom, he was waiting for her.

"Sahasra," he called her name softly for the first time.

"Hmm?" she asked, surprised at the changed tone of his voice.

"I'm sorry. And I'm saying this from my heart. You are right — I crossed my limits. It's a shame I couldn't practise self-control, being in the army. I'm ashamed of my actions. I'm sorry again. Let me know how I can make it up to you?" he asked with such seriousness that it made Sahasra laugh.

"Oh my god! What happened to you all of the sudden? You look so serious right now that it makes my stomach hurt. I accept your apology."

"Thank you," Nikhil said.

"But it doesn't mean I forgive you, okay? I will completely forgive you only if you come with me to eat ice-cream. Eating too much diet food has destroyed my taste buds, I swear. One day of cheat meal if fine right, Coach Sir?" Sahasra didn't want to stretch the incident.

The whole day the environment was so tense, so she decided to let it go.
Just like Nikhil decided to let go of Varnika's betrayal.

"Okay, agreed. Ek din cheat meal toh banta hai," Nikhil said. "We'll take Maa and Dadi as well."

"They're already ready. In fact I was going to ask you if you wanted to join us."

"Okay fine, we'll go in the morning."

"Sure."

Next morning, the family visited the ice-cream parlour and Nikhil apologised to Sahasra again in front of the whole family. Then he said to his mother, "I'm sorry Maa. I promise I will not let dad down ever again and make him proud always."

Maa was glad that her son was trying to rectify his deeds. She hugged him, "I'm sure you will beta!"

"I want to eat Malai ice-cream!" Dadi squealed like a child.

"Me too!" Maa said.

"And I'll eat three ice-creams — chocolate, butterscotch and malai!" Sahasra announced.

"Three ice-creams? You're surely a hippo!" Nikhil muttered under his breath.

''Gadha, I heard that,'' Sahasra said and hit his head, receiving nothing but a laugh from her husband.

――"💌"――

Vote if you believe it's better to let go of someone's betrayal than live through it.

Comment and tell me your favourite ice-cream flavour! (mine is chocolate, obviously!)

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro