39-Beasts of the Underworld

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"My lady," Caspian growled, catching her before she fell.

"Let me go," Rosalind howled as she tried to push him away.

"You are not to be here," Caspian's tone was that of an animal, low and feral. His grip was firm.

"You are the devil!" Her eyes were wild as she looked up at him. "And those beasts are born out of hell."

"I am not the devil," Caspian hissed and held her tighter when she tried harder to break free.

"What are those things in there?" Her lips trembled as she spoke.

His own gaze bore into her. "My steeds."

"Steeds they are not, my lord." Rosalind wriggled once more. The whinny of the horses made her flinch.

"Do not fear them," he said as less of a comfort and more of a command. 

Fluries caught by a stray gust a wind, scurried around Rosalind's dark hair. "Your house bears too many horrors for me, my lord."

Caspian inched his head to hers. "You should not have come here."

"You should not have brought me here." Giving her arm one last tug, Rosalind broke free. Yet she did not run.

Caspian's jaw was clenched and his eyes were narrowed into slits. Rosalind noticed how their breath met between them and created patterns in the air.

"What are those in there?" she asked softly.

"They are my horses."

"Horses do not look like that."

"Mine do."

Rosalind cast a look towards the animals who had fallen silent.

"I beg your forgiveness if they frightened you." Caspian lowered his head briefly.

Rosalind wrapped her arms around herself. "One tried to attack me."

Caspian took a small step closer to her. "They do not allow anyone else to get near them, not unless I permit it. They will not harm you if they know you." He extended a hand to her. "Will you allow me?"

Rosalind blanched. "Go back inside?"

"Yes."

"Are you mad?" Rosalind asked dumbfounded.

When Caspian wiggled a finger at her, she shook her head. "I..."

"I will protect you. Will you trust me?" He reached closer, hoping she would agree.

Rosalind knew she did not trust the lord, not the way she trusted her kin. But in that moment, she believed he would uphold his word. She did not want to fear the animals. Horrid as they were, she wanted to face them. "Yes, my lord."  Placing her hand in his, Rosalind allowed him to lead her into the stables.

The horses made no noise when the pair entered. Both animals stood still like statues, watching Caspian and Rosalind head towards them.

"They once had names like most horses," he said in a low tone, something between a whisper and a growl.

"And now?" Rosalind looked up at the animals. They looked serene while her own heart thundered.

"They are no longer the same animals," Caspian replied.

Had these beasts once been normal horses? Rosalind looked curiously at Caspian, trying to read between the lines. She drew in a breath then slowly exhaled in an attempt to calm her nerves. "Then perhaps they should be given new names."

The lord turned his head, his crown of spikes catching a sliver of light. "It would honor me if you would name them. Then they would feel you as kindred." Caspian had not let go of Rosalind's hand. Gingerly, he lifted it to the horse and placed it on its muzzle. "Do not tremble, my lady. Animals sense fear," he whispered.

Rosalind bit her lip and tried to envision them as normal horses, not the aberrations they were. Though she could still feel her heart pounding, after a few slow breaths between seconds where she was still safe, she calmed down somewhat and replied, "Hades," she nodded to the horse before her, "and Charon. It suits them, do you not agree, my lord?"

"My lady is knowledgeable of mythology." Caspian removed his hand from hers and raised a brow, pleasantly surprised.

"I learned to read when I was three years old. I did not stop. I will read anything."

"It surprises me that a lady such as yourself would know about the Greek lords of the underworld."

Rosalind slid her hand down the horse's muzzle. She felt a twitch of muscle underneath. "One of my favourite myths was that of..." her words trailed off and her thoughts ran wild, Hades and Persephone. Of how the beautiful maiden was stolen by the lord of the underworld, a monster, and made eternally his.

"Of what, my lady?" Lord Caspian asked.

Rosalind backed away shaking her head. "I must go and get cleaned up for dinner," she said under her breath, making the distance between them grow. With a quick nod, Rosalind turned and ran all the way back to the house.  

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro