32. Something Left to Save

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Jimmy clutched his head in his hands, trying to make sense of the madness inside him. It wasn't like before, the result of too many drugs and brainwashing. This time, it was legitimate confusion and trauma after his last hours.

"Come on, say something." Billy sat across from him at Kato's small table, a tiny cup of tea between his hands.

Normal tea, because Kato had never bothered to teach them how to make the special one. They'd never dreamed he'd die. They'd never dreamed they wouldn't be doing this together. And yet, here Jimmy was, alone. Well, not alone.

"Why didn't you come earlier?" he asked, his voice low and even. "You could've saved him."

Billy winced. "I know what you're saying, but it's not like that. I'm nothing like the Agency. I just got here, and this place is not easy to find."

Jimmy could understand that. What he couldn't understand was why his cousin was there in the first place.

"So you can't tell me anything," he concluded.

"Not beyond the obvious. I just don't want to come back."

"That I can understand," Jimmy said with a nod. Hell, if he could afford to just disappear right then, he would. "What I can't understand if why you couldn't let us know you were alive."

Billy smirked. "Not like you guys ever believed I was dead."

"It still hurt us, Billy. We still missed you."

The smile slipped off his face and he bit his lip. "It's a lot more complicated, Jimmy. I wasn't even supposed to show myself to you. But after seeing what happened, knowing that everyone is in there..." He nodded in the general direction of the castle. "You can't do this alone."

"So will you be busting in with me? Reveal yourself to everyone and Snitch Gravel?"

Jimmy knew the answer even before Billy pursed his lips and shook his head. He really was doing this alone.

"No. I can't do that. Not yet. But I can be your sniper. Make sure you reach the door safely."

That was helpful, he guessed. Much better than nothing. There were so many question he should ask, but after the day he'd had, Jimmy was too exhausted. As much as he'd wanted to storm the castle as fast as possible, he knew that was no longer wise. He couldn't go in like this. He needed to sleep. Then he needed to try to channel the serum while he was awake.

"Just to make it clear," he said. "You're working for someone else now, someone who's been hiding you. But you can't say who and what you're doing."

"That's right," Billy said, his voice filled with regret. "But I will tell you someday. Because I'm sure it will come to it. Maybe now, maybe next time. Maybe later."

"Next time..." Jimmy whispered. He wasn't an idiot. He could read between the lines.

He could even half-guess who Billy was working for. But it was something he'd refused to get into. Because he hadn't wanted to pressure Jessie and it was all in due time. The last time he'd figured stuff out and rushed into it, he'd almost been killed.

"You should get some sleep," he said to Billy. "We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow. I might need your help."

Billy nodded and stood. Jimmy didn't move, trying to morph the grief inside him into something useful. That was what Kato would have wanted. Another drive, another face to help him steer the serum in the direction he needed. But as much as he reasoned his way into it, his heart still missed beats, his hands were still clammy, and the walls of the tiny house seemed to be falling on top of him.

He stood and headed down the narrow hallway, back out into the open air. Into the darkness. It felt better. His pulse calmed down, but he was still filled with restless energy. A part of him wanted to head up the mountain again, but he knew he shouldn't. It was three in the morning and he needed to rest, not run around. Not leave Billy alone.

Billy who had come back from the grave the moment Kato had entered it. Why couldn't he predict that they'd start shooting, that Kato was in danger? But it was what it was. He was always meant to do this alone.

"I will. Or die trying," he said into the darkness.

"Maybe there's a way to avoid that."

Jimmy turned towards the path that led up the mountain, his knees bent and his fists raised. He didn't have the rifle, but he was a weapon on his own. A precise, deadly one, even without katanas or staffs.

A hooded figure stepped into the open. Jimmy straightened a bit, but didn't relax. He knew who that was, but it didn't necessarily mean it was safe.

Images he'd seen so many times during his training resurfaced, turning the man in front of him into the sum of his misery. His damnation and his savior. The man who had made Jimmy what he was and made it possible for him to handle this alone.

"This is... Unfortunate," the man said, taking another step forward. He seemed to notice the danger, realize he needed to tread lightly.

"What do you want?" Jimmy asked.

The man's head turned towards the greenhouse, as if he knew what was there, what had happened.

"I want to help you, as usual." Despite the way their interactions usually went, this time there was no snide or superiority in his voice. Just exhaustion.

"The last time you helped me, it was a little drastic."

"Your life is drastic as it is."

"You didn't give me a choice," Jimmy said between his teeth. "You turned me into this... this..."

"Weapon?" The cloaked man tilted his head. "Something they so desperately wanted but could never have? A one man army?"

"A crazy one man army."

"You're not crazy. You never were. This is all them. But I think Harumi managed to help you with that." He looked towards the greenhouse again. "This time, I am giving you a choice." He took something out and held it in his gloved palm. "Either take it, or don't."

Jimmy lowered his battle stance. "What is it?"

"Something to help when everything feels like too much."

The blood seemed to freeze in Jimmy's veins. "That's not very descriptive."

"Maybe. But we can't always get what we want." He put the tiny pill down. "Just in case you need to let the weapon loose." He stepped back, once again glancing towards the greenhouse.

"You can go there, you know."

The man jumped and turned back to Jimmy. "Thank you." He hesitated for a few moments. "You're not asking who I am."

"I think I know who you are. I think I know a lot of things. But what I am sure of is that the answers will come to me." He walked over and took the pill. "Thanks for this. I'll do my best not to need it, but who knows?"

"Bite down on it. It will be enough. And never forget. There is always something left to save."

Jimmy nodded, turned his back to the man, and headed towards the house. He hadn't lied. He had his suspicions. But he wasn't about to drive himself crazy with theories. He had other things to do. And that miracle pill was only part of the plan.

🏯

Jimmy knew it would be hard, but he'd hoped it wouldn't be that hard. Channeling his feelings without Kato's funky tea felt damn near impossible.

"Just what exactly are you supposed to be doing?" Billy asked, leaning on Kato's bo staff.

"I'm trying to control the serum and target it without it going to my head," Jimmy said between his teeth. Which was so damn hard when the thing didn't even stir. "That's why you have to attack me."

"Jimmy, that's useless. You know I wouldn't hurt you."

"I have no idea who you are anymore. What you would or wouldn't do."

Billy half-dropped his eyelids. "I mean I was never really good enough at fighting to even touch you. And seeing as you managed to throw a sword out of my hand with your bare hands, I doubt that changed."

Jimmy doubted that too, so he gave up. Billy posed no threat to him, not even armed with a rifle. He'd just have to try when he was actually in danger and the serum felt like stepping in. Maybe it wouldn't, maybe he could get through this with his mind intact. He knew it was bullshit, but he had no time to try anymore. It was nearly dusk and he had to go.

"How many bullets do you have?" he asked instead. He'd gone up into the mountains to retrieve the weapon and ammo from the other sniper he'd offed.

"Fifteen," Billy answered at once. "Which should be enough to get you in."

Jimmy nodded because he agreed. Even if Billy also had a pistol on him, Jimmy didn't really see the point to take it along. He had better chances to go in carrying only katanas. If he appeared unarmed, maybe they wouldn't shoot him. What Billy did have and could provide him with was a bullet proof vest. So it was time to equip and face the music.

He kept the gi on for comfort, but strapped the vest under his shirt. It was tight, but it would have to do. Then he put on a double sheath he'd found in Kato's room and swung it around him, then secured the swords to his back.

"You're basically going in naked," Billy observed. "Are you sure you don't want the gun?"

"I don't think I'd have what to do with it, especially since you don't have much ammo for it." He tightened the belt around his gi and took in a deep breath. "This is it. Get up on the platform and take down their snipers. They're on the top two levels. Then just concentrate on shooting anyone who comes my way brandishing a gun."

"Will do," Billy said with a two finger salute. "And..." He hesitated for a moment, but then walked over and caught Jimmy in a hug. "I'm sorry. Tell the others that you saw me, that I'm fine and... I know you guys. You'll get out of this. And we'll meet again."

"I surely hope so, Billy." Jimmy squeezed him back. "You have a lot of catching up to do."

Billy grinned. "Not that much. I know Sam has a daughter and that Kyle and Kay are getting married."

Jimmy smiled back. "Good. But I'm getting married, too, and I bet you didn't know that."

Billy's jaw dropped. "That I didn't know."

"No one does since it basically happened two days ago. But yeah... Good things still happen."

Billy nodded, the grin on his face wider. "Then get your fiancé out and let's have some weddings and babies."

Until the moment Billy said it, Jimmy hadn't realized how much he wanted that.

"Just... Don't die."

"That's a bit rich coming from you."

Billy grinned again. "You and I are nothing alike. And I'm happy we're not. Because I don't think I could handle all the pressure. But you. You guys are pros."

Yes, they were, and it was time to prove it. So Jimmy turned his back on his cousin and focused on what he had to do.

The sun had gone down beyond the cliffs, leaving behind a semi-darkness which was confusing on the eyes. The light was made worse by storm clouds gathering in the distance. He'd counted on it to offer him the least bit of cover. Also, it seemed like the most unlikely time of day he'd choose to break in. Not like he had a choice.

With one final wave to Billy, he headed out towards the castle. It was weird to walk past the twin cliffs that marked the entrance into Kato's yard. He'd never gone beyond them before, couldn't remember passing them on the way in. Yet, his footsteps didn't falter.

He chose a steady rhythm for his steps, fast enough to prove efficient, but not enough to even put a dent in his stamina. He'd need as much of that as he could get. Above him, the rumble of thunder announced mayhem.

As he walked, his mind went over what he had to do. The guards before the bridge, getting past the bridge, up the stairs, to the door. Billy would help him until he got inside. Then, he was on his own in an uncharted place.

I'll find Jessie. I'll find the others. They'll fight with me.

And if he couldn't reach them, he always had the pill tucked in a tiny pocket on the sheath of his swords which would help him push further.

There was no point thinking beyond the bridge for now. It was the first step. It was already in view and he could see the silhouettes of the two men guarding it. Once lightning flashed, he pinpointed their position perfectly. Jimmy didn't change his pace, just continued walking. Funny how it had always been so close, just twenty minutes away by foot.

He took note when the men noticed him, because they started to fidget. Maybe they were sacred, or doubted it was really him seeing as he was just casually striding towards them.

He was about teen feet away when lightning flashed again and one of them said, "Holy shit, it's him!"

That's when Jimmy struck. He charged forward and punched the guy in the chest without holding back. He could feel the man's sternum crush on impact and he flew back and over the railing of the bridge. Before the second one could do more than take a tiny step forward, Jimmy twisted and kicked him in the chest, propelling him off the cliff as well. Then, in the same steady pace, he headed on the bridge. He expected it to sway under his feet, so he adjusted his steps accordingly, going over what he knew.

Two at the end of the bridge, two by the stairs, two by the door.

Not that it mattered. He'd kicked the hornets' nest and now they were going to come swarming at him. Which he needed because he couldn't think about what he'd just done, what he was about to do.

The sound of a shot rang through the night. Then another and another. Jimmy counted the bullets as Billy shot down the snipers on the roof of the castle.

There was a commotion at the other end of the bridge as the guards left their posts and hurried towards him. Another flash of lightning showed there were five of them. The bridge swayed some more. Jimmy stopped for a moment, then started off again, matching his steps to every movement of the wooden planks under his feet. It wasn't hard. He was too used to walking on stuff that moved from their obstacle courses.

The incoming goons seemed to be having a lot more difficulty in adjusting. One of them even toppled over the edge and would have fallen to his death if one of the others hadn't caught him. It made them stop. Even from the distance, Jimmy could tell that one of them had taken a gun out.

The echo of a gunshot rang around them followed by the crack of thunder. The man with the gun fell on the bridge, unmoving.

"He's not shooting!"

"Who's shooting?"

Jimmy raised his hands as he walked to show that he was completely unarmed.

"What the hell do we do?"

"Do you think he's here to give himself up like the boss said?"

Yes, of course Snitch Gravel would expect that after he took Jessie away from him. What he hadn't anticipated was that he'd released the monster instead. And yet, it wasn't like before. His lack of remorse was crumbling, and a sense of nausea began to overwhelm him. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he knew it used to be easier, that hurting and killing didn't use to faze him. Not anymore. But he couldn't stop. If he did, he was dead.

A few more steps and Jimmy was close enough to do damage. He punched the first man in the face and propelled him off the bridge. The others took guns out, but he was too close. It was easy to avoid and disarm them, especially when the bridge was so narrow that it didn't allow for more than two people side by side.

"Backup! Call for backup!" One of the remaining men yelled and pulled out a knife.

Jimmy grabbed his wristed and twisted it, breaking it immediately.

"Holy shit, he's breaking bones."

Something whooshed past Jimmy's head and one of the goons fell dead, a gun in his hand. Billy had used up ten of his bullets. The good part was that the goons didn't know he had five more. But he was only half-way across the bridge and had to move it before he gave them the chance to figure that out.

He stepped past the bodies on the planks, for once hoping they weren't dead. More men charged across the bridge. Lightning struck, followed by the roar of thunder. Another man fell dead the moment he pointed a rifle at Jimmy.

"Stop trying to shoot him!" someone yelled, their voice carried by the wind.

"Finally," Jimmy mumbled to himself. It was much easier to dodge daggers and clumsy punches.

The men in front of him suddenly shifted out of the way and a sword made its way between them. In a flash, Jimmy drew his own and parried the hit.

Laughter bubbled up inside him, but it wasn't the healthy kind. He'd never imagined he'd end up sword fighting on a suspended bridge, in the middle of a storm. It was just their bad luck that they'd made him draw the sword. He would've happily reached the stairs using just his punches. Now, they were going to bleed.

There was a massive disarray as blood started flying in all directions. He did his best not to chop off limbs even as the monster inside him screamed for blood. The goons in the back scrambled away, fighting the obvious need to start shooting at him. But when another sniper bullet hit one of the men brave enough to draw, it appeared that they gave up on that idea and instead scrambled back to the safety of stone.

Jimmy charged at them, making short work of the rest of the bridge. The moment his feet hit stone instead of wood, the goons charged again. A lot of them were brandishing swords, so Jimmy drew the other weapon as well.

It was easy to retreat and let his body take over, use the reflexes he'd developed while training. But the rock platform took away the narrow space advantage and he was quickly pushed forward and surrounded. Sharp blades dug into his skin, but he always pulled away before they could do much damage. His swords on the other hand cut through flesh deep enough to do real damage, sent his enemies back to regroup.

Something hard hit his back, but he didn't even flinch. The following second, Billy sent a bullet through the head of the man who had shot him.

Three bullets left.

The stairs. He had to reach the stairs, even if it meant leaving himself open for a little while.

His muscles burned with the need to move faster, hit harder, go down in a blaze of energy. He reined it in, forcing himself to hold on to the energy, let it out as needed. His head started to pound. A cut to his shoulder awakened the darkness. It came so sudden and so powerful that his vision blacked for a second. It resulted in a kick to the stomach that brought him to his knees.

Blindly, he lifted one of the swords in time to block a swipe to his head. They weren't shooting him, but they were aiming to kill. His skin hurt as the serum seemed to bubble beneath him, fill his veins with liquid lightning. This was it. He needed to direct the serum to his attacks, make himself faster and stronger, but keep his wits.

The effort exhausted him more than swinging the swords and making his way through the men. There seemed to be no end to them. And yet, he moved closer to the stairs, aware he'd most likely have to sprint up them.

His body ached, both from the hits, the cuts and the strain he was putting on himself to keep control. His mind reeled as the void inside him grew, spinning, inviting him in. But he pushed himself forward, moving with precision, hitting just as hard as necessary, moving past the fallen men. Not stopping to finish them off. He wouldn't lose himself.

Come on. Speed. I need speed.

Look at him go. His speed is incredible.

Jimmy shut his eyes tightly, driving the image back. He didn't need this. He needed to focus on Jessie to regain his balance, but he had no time for that either. Instead, Kato's lifeless gaze flashed before his eyes.

His master had been right. He wasn't ready. He'd needed more training. But he didn't have a choice.

Something hit him from behind and he crashed on the stairs. He turned on his back and kicked the two goons off him. They were everywhere. Behind him, climbing to catch up, in front, waiting for him to reach them, to the sides, ready to strike.

Mild panic took over Jimmy and not because he was surrounded, but because he was spiraling out of control.

Focus. You can do this without going crazy. Just focus!

He wasn't actually hurt. Yes, the few cuts stung and his muscles ached, but it was nothing. He could endure a lot more. A few extra hands could be useful, but he only had the two and the advantage of dual wielding.

So he got to his feet, both swords ready. Then, he started spinning them, creating a sort of barrier against anyone wanting to approach. And like that, he backed up the stairs until he could feel the presence of the men behind him. He ducked and turned, avoiding a swipe at his head and sent ankles flying in all directions. The men tumbled down the stairs and he saw something he never thought he would.

The door. Unguarded. Without wasting a second, he charged up the rest of the stairs. Another flyaway bullet hit him in the back, but he ignored it. The sound of Billy's three remaining shots echoed behind him the moment he entered the building.

He kicked the door closed and heard bodies smashing against it. Panting, he sprinted up the narrow hall. At least he had the advantage of a tight space again. If only he could reach... He wasn't exactly sure what.

The hall suddenly ended into a cavernous stone room. In a second, he took in the worn out tapestries on the walls, the crumbling state of the wall to his right and the fact that the only way out of that room was to his left before something hit him so hard it propelled him over a flimsy table. It gave way under his weight so he found himself buried under splintered wood.

"Get up, brat!"

Eye Patch's voice cut through the confusion and had him scrambling back to his feet. The man held two katanas and the goons surrounding him were armed to the teeth. Swords, bat, guns. Guns when he had no way to avoid them.

Cold sweat dripped down Jimmy's back as he tightened his hold on the swords. He took in the men, trying to count them, but there was no use. There were too many for him to handle. His body ached with the effort to restrain the darkness, with the pain of many hits and bruises. He was suddenly reminded of the fight in the jungle, on top of Snitch Gravel's base. How he'd fallen, almost died. The pain. Fear slithered through his veins and the darkness retreated.

"Come quietly, and we might let you live," Eye Patch said.

"I doubt that."

"Yeah, I doubt that, too." Von Crooken made his way between the men. "After what you pulled out there, you're much too dangerous to live."

Eye Patch lowered his swords and looked to his boss. "But what about what the boss said?"

Von Crooken only sneered. "Oh, no. Not after what he did. After all, he'll fall fighting. So no one shoot him. Just chop him up like he did our boys."

Jimmy took a step back, but held his swords high, searching inside himself. There was only chaos. Fear, memories of pain, of death, of Jessie crying. There would be no miracle serum to bring him back this time. The serum he already had screamed for blood, to be freed from the shackles of his re-emergent consciousness and destroy.

He couldn't do that.

But if he didn't, he would die.

Von Crooken would make it look like self defense. Even if Eye Patch seemed a little reluctant, the other men appeared more than willing to break his bones.

This was it. It was either do or die.

Fear swirled through him. His gaze took in the room for an alternative exit as he stepped back. His hearing strained, hoping he'd pick up sounds from his loved ones.

His back hit the wall and the structure actually shook so he took a step forward. He'd have no support there, just another way to die by falling into the abyss.

He couldn't die. He couldn't disappoint them all. And that's when he knew what he had to do.

Fine. Come at me.

With a trembling hand, he reached for the pocket on his sheath and took out the pill. He had no idea what it actually did, but he sure hoped it was a concentrated infusion of Kato's tea and allow him to keep his wits and use the serum.

"What the hell is he doing?" one of the men asked.

"Is that one of those pills that allows him to kill himself?"

Jimmy doubted it, so he put it in his mouth and bit down on it. The bitterness was immediate, filling his mouth and his soul. His vision blackened and he was plunged into his deepest fear, facing the monster the serum had created inside him. It wasn't gradual, and it didn't give him the chance to morph it into anything else.

Without warning, the monster pounced. Except it didn't bite him, didn't kill him. It just went inside him.

So when he opened his eyes, he only saw targets. Because finally, there was no more him and no more monster.

Finally, they were one.

🏯🏯🏯

I'm so nervous about the climax working so I really hope you found it interesting. Also, you know this will have consequences and that it's only the beginning of the climax. Still, I can't believe we're here!

Did you like it? Was it tense? What do you think will happen now?

Stay tuned for more (hopefully) amazing climax next week.

Don't forget to vote!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro