Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

With all the chaos in the world, his pack, his mind, he needed some calm, some structure. As long as she was a mystery, she could not provide this. He needed to figure her out. 

Getting up at half past six in the morning proved to be a lot more difficult than I previously expected. Back in the Fortis Pack, I got up early every day in order to do some skating before going – or not going – to high school. Usually I got around six hours of sleep a night, and while yesterday evening did turn out later than normal, I still went to bed around two at night, so that shouldn't have been a problem.

Maybe it was that I was tossing and turning all night long, worrying about what Ambassador Montgomery wanted from me. He had leverage over me, could make me do anything, or he would tell the entire pack that I cheated on something that was almost considered holy to them – an Intelligence test. I didn't know what exactly the laws were here, but I suspected I could be thrown in jail for this, sent on a plane back to the Fortis Pack, or even exiled from Sapientiae never to return again. And Vir, or Daniel, depending on who he thought my mate was, would be sent there with me. I didn't want that to happen.

I could not let that happen.

In the end, I managed to be on time at Vir's office, only to be sent away immediately. I didn't even knock on the door yet when Willow already directed me somewhere else. With long, quick strides she walked to the other side of the building, leading me to join a total of three new employees, including Ambassador Montgomery and me. The other one, a woman in her early thirties, I did not recognise.

"You've had a short introductory tour through the Sapientiae Headquarters already. Now that you'll be working here, you'll get the elaborate one. Listen carefully and remember well, for I do not like to repeat myself, is that clear?"

I nodded, hearing soft confirming murmurs next to me.

"I can't hear it." Willow's voice almost sounded like one of the Fortis Pack Commanders. Which was not odd, considering her education at the world's most hardcore military school.

"Yes ma'am," I answered this time, receiving a deadly glare in return. She masked herself quickly, however, and soon we were trailing behind her like little ducklings behind their mother, while she showed us the entire building. We went by all the offices, copy rooms, canteens, laboratories, research equipment, open working spaces, ICT and the library, before moving to the security agents to get clearance. I was dizzy with all the information she poured into us. She explained what to find where, what to do when, the evacuation routes, and how to get in certain places.

"Your chip will be important here. On your personal chip, special clearance will be loaded, which will give you the ability to open certain doors. If you have no business in a specific wing or floor, you will not be allowed to enter, except in case of an emergency. Then the system will be adapted, and all doors will open. Understood?" Willow talked quickly, not really waiting for an answer before walking away again, but Quinten stopped her.

"Excuse me," he said. "What is on the top floor of the building?"

"The Alpha's quarters, as I've said before," she mentioned in irritation, which shut him up immediately. "These cannot be accessed by anyone except the Alpha, or by a visitor who was specifically invited by himself." She turned to me with a neutral face. "As junior personal assistant Alpha's office, you'll probably be summoned to his sitting chamber or personal office regularly, but you, Ambassador Montgomery," she turned back to him, her face morphing into an annoyed expression once again. "You will most likely never get special clearance, considering your profession."

Now looking at the three of us, she ended her elaborate tour. "For now I'll lead you to your personal offices, where you'll get an introduction in what to do and how to do your job properly. I'll send you a map of the entire Headquarters with regulations and rules by email later today, and we expect you'll know them by heart by the end of the week. Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am," everyone answered this time, upon which all of us received a deadly glare. Biting the inside of my cheek, I tried to stifle a laugh. For a woman who ought to be a master at deception and fighting, she sure was easily riled up.

"Welcome, Livia," an older woman stood up from her chair, arms wide open as she walked over to me. "My name is Betty, I'm the senior personal assistant at the Alpha's office. It's lovely to meet you. How are you doing?" her warm voice embraced me as soon as I entered my new office.

"I'm fine, thanks," I answered, awkwardly hugging the woman back. "How are you?"

"Great, great, my dear." Betty walked back to her chair, which gave me the time to shortly examine her features. She was relatively short, for a werewolf, and quite 'fluffy' too. Grey hair was bundled up into a neat and tight bun on top of her head and she wore a pearl necklace around her neck. "Close the door behind you, please, dear."

I hurried to make sure that I complied with her wishes as she sat down and looked at me again. "So, you are the Alpha's mate, right?" She said with a hushed voice.

I blushed at her blunt question, trying to find a way to deny the fact.

"Oh don't bother, sweetie," she said laughing. "I have been Vir's personal assistant for two years now, and I have been married to my husband for thirty-eight. I know when two people are mates, and by the way he talked about you, it was obvious as day. That man never gets nervous when he talks business. When it's about a girl, however..." She winked. "I think it's good for him that you're here now. He's a sweetheart, but he obviously misses the influence of a woman, don't you think?"

I only chuckled as an answer, only able to fully agree with her.

"Now, about your job. I have received some instructions from the Beta on what I have to teach you, and most of it does not have anything to do with the job you have signed a contract for. Are you aware of that?"

I shrugged, smiling sheepishly at her. "I may or may not be as intelligent as people think." Betty had an aura around her that made me trust her immediately. She seemed to notice that.

"It's okay you tell me that, darling, since I have no evil mind, but I suggest that you never share this type of information with anyone unless you are absolutely one hundred percent certain they are to be trusted." She looked around, as if she expected the walls to have ears. "There are many people around this place who would do anything to sabotage or blackmail you."

I nodded in understanding, thinking about Ambassador Montgomery, and how he was going to be a problem too. Betty was right, sharing this information with no one else would be best if I wanted to stay alive and well in this place.

"Now that we've had that, let's look at what you are going to do the upcoming weeks, alright?" Betty pointed towards the pair of luxurious leather chairs on the other side of the room. "Get seated, sweetie, this is going to take a while. Do you want some tea?"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro