17-31 January @shalonsims @MattParker0708

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

There are two featured stories this session, one by me and the other by Matt Parker. I'm repeating his session because he didn't get many critiques. Hope you will jump in and earn some critique points in this session. 

** 3 JAN - 15 JAN FEATURED STORY **

shalonsims – The Dreaming: Dark Star, Prologue + Chapter 1

Word count: 7,200 words. Sub-genre: young adult. Highest rank: #225. Violence: none. Sexuality: none. 

In the past I've struggled with a meandering and weak plot... lots of writing that doesn't go anywhere. For this story, Dark Star, I'm trying to really stick with an exciting plot that stays tense. I'd like to know if the story grabs you, and if the characters are intriguing, and their struggles seem credible. 

Does this work as the beginning of a stand-alone story? Or do you feel like you're jumping into the middle of something? 

MattParker0708 – LOST LOVE, chapters 1-5

You can find this story in Matt's book of short stories, called Cogs & Claws

Word count: 10,400 for the five chapters. Sub-genre: short story from a collection that includes fantasy, steampunk, and fantasy tags. Violence/Sex: There is some gory violence in the last few chapters, but "nothing too extreme."

Matt tried a technique of splitting each chapter into two sections: the first follows the main character and the second shows past events leading up to that point. In your opinion, does this work? If not, how can it work better? Specifically, are the transitions clear, is the information conveyed adequately, and does the change in tense work?

What is Matt trying to do? "Lost Love isn't a romance, but it is a story about love. It is not intended for readers who want non-stop action. My aim was for the reader to believe that the story is a fairly simple one about a man who is searching for his lost love, but then to slowly learn that perhaps something more is going on. I don't want the ending to be a completely 'out of the blue' shock, so I have included a few hints that the MC may not be all that he seems. Are the hints too obvious, or too subtle?" 

------------------------------

**IMPORTANT GROUP INFO**

Critique Points

A critique is worth 25 critique points. To earn your critique points, you must complete two (2) tasks:

1) give at least 3000 characters critique of the featured story, which can be split up however you choose—a comment on each chapter, 30 comments spread throughout, or 2 comments at the very end. Either way, it must equal at least 3000 characters.

2) After you've finished your critique, leave an observation report with your main findings as a comment here on this chapter of the workbook. Please tag the author so they can see your comment.

Please leave your observations reports! This is how I count points. No observation report, no points!

Critiquing Reminder

No judgements, only observations. We are all here to help each other succeed in our writing. What isn't your cup of tea will be somebody's feast!

Describe: What's going on? What are you experiencing as you read?

Interpret: What do you think the author was intending? Where do you think it's headed?

Evaluate: Is it working? WHY? (don't forget the 'because' in your criticism. "It's not working because dada-dada-dada." YOU MUST SAY WHY something is or is not working.

Consider: Setting, Plot, Characterisation, Pace, Writing Quality, Dialogue, Theme, etc.

Accepting Criticism Reminder

Be quiet and listen.

Don't defend your writing! Don't respond to negative criticism if you feel upset about it. Take a break and come back to it later. We all have bad days. Don't look at criticism when you're having a bad day.

Appreciate and be grateful to your critics -- they have taken their time to read your writing and give you their thoughts! Remember, they aren't trying to hurt you or take you down. We are all here to help each other succeed in our writing.

IF you feel capable of responding to criticism, then focus on what you've learned from the critique. If you feel comfortable you may try to explain why you did something, and ask for ideas on how you might do it better in the next draft, from their perspective. But again, don't get defensive and start explaining why it's great the way it is. Accept the person didn't see or understand what you were trying to do.

Take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

Have fun!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro