11. Ego?

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The lunch was great. The four bonded well. Watching her friend interact with Ravi, Alina felt much relaxed. After work, Meera and Alina took an auto ride home while Mikael drove Ravi with him to their PG. Surprisingly both men shared the same room.

Once home, Meera dropped her handbag on the couch and slumped with a thud and a sigh.

'Gosh!' She massaged her nape. Alina sat next to her, bunching her hair, and tying it in a bun on top of her head. She relaxed against the sofa, resting her head and closed her eyes.

'Hmm, Meera? Isn't Ravi a sweet gentleman.' Alina asked with her eyes closed. Meera hummed in response. Alina opened one eye and peeked at her friend. Just then she was distracted by a beep on her phone. Alina shifted, grabbing her phone, and found a new friend request on social media.

Hunar Feroz!

'Who the hell is she?' Alina checked her profile. She was someone from her school, but she didn't know if she was her classmate. The profile was fishy as it had nothing there. No previous posts, no likes, dislikes. She sighed, tossing the phone to her side. Must be some shady person with a fake account to flirt with her.

Alina tried to strike a conversation about Ravi with Meera, but she seemed disinterested. After a while, Meera leaned and turned to look at her friend.

'After Ronnie, I don't want any relationship. Especially, with someone, I do not know.' – she thought for a while, - 'I might consider Mikael, as I know him.' She tapped her chin. Alina's smile instantly disappeared. She shifted uncomfortably and leaned one side into the sofa,

- 'What do you mean? Mikael? Are you nuts?'

'Why?' Meera shrugged, - 'Look,' – she was serious now, - 'He liked you, okay, I know. But he does not like you now. So, if he—'

'Don't dream Meera. Mikael is not interested in you. I know that for a fact. Besides, you guys don't belong to the same faith. Will your parents let you be in a relationship with a Kashmiri Muslim?' – Alina huffed and fell back against the sofa, - 'I don't think so.'- She paused and glanced at Meera, who gaped at her, - 'Besides, Mikael is so handsome and he won't spare a glance at fatso medusa like you.' Alina ranted in a furious outburst.

'Oh My God!' Meera slammed her thighs and sprung up. Alina's expressions changed, realizing she went too far. With guilt in her eyes, she looked at her friend.

'Don't you think you went too personal? Also, neither Mikael nor my parents are narrow-minded as you. If my parents don't have problems with me being friends with Mikael then they should also not have any problem—Also, I just casually said—'

Alina stood up, - 'I am sorry, Meera. I crossed a boundary—' she stopped speaking when Meera raised a palm at her. She bit her lip. Her heart sank upon seeing tears in Meera's eyes. Meera closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then turned around.

Alina watched her dash into their room with a sinking heart and tears in her eyes as well. She felt like a jerk to have insulted her friend like this. Her insecurity and ego got better of her. Alina lowered her head with shame and guilt.

Haider was satisfied with the first day in the music class. The children were well mannered and quick learner. He enjoyed teaching them, listening to their casual innocent questions, watching them being carefree. He got to learn a lot from them as well. He realized that even though these kids were orphaned, and probably had some inner turmoil and back story, yet they were happy here. They have found happiness in simpler things; they found peace. Perhaps, this is why Dr. Geiti sent him here. He too should learn to be independent and not depend on someone else for his happiness.

As he casually walked into his room, he was thrown off guard by a slap on his back. Alarmed he turned and was greeted by Amaal's grinning face.

'You did very well. Nice job, Haider.' She complimented him. Haider acknowledged her and complimented her as well. He wanted to admit that he was nervous but didn't, it won't be good for his image. Amaal asked if he would want some snacks, she can arrange from the kitchen. He smiled and refused. She shrugged and walked ahead of him, muttering something to herself. He eyed her, then checked his phone. Haider was disappointed upon seeing no response on his social media.

Just as he was about to stuff his phone into his pocket, the ringing of his phone startled him. It was Banerjee calling. He picked up the call. A slow smile appeared on his lips as his former employee informed about how Mr. Zaidi was dooming the company. He was slightly concerned as the matters were slipping but the worst was yet to come and he, Haider, was waiting for it.

'Okay, Banerjee. Just keep me informed, sit back, and enjoy what is to happen next.' He said in a calm tone. Banerjee let out a muffled chuckle and then bid a hurried good-bye. Haider wanted to ask about Alina but dropped it.

After speaking to his ex-assistant, he tossed the phone on his bed and sighed sitting on the small stool. He looked around and his gaze found Amaal's video game sprawled on the ground. He looked for her and then, sat down with his legs folded.

Noori and Amaal sat opposite each other in her cabin. Noori sipped her tea whilst watching Amaal tune her guitar. Noori took a sip with a thoughtful nod, - 'Amaal, what is the date today?' She asked.

'1st December.' Amaal replied mindlessly and then paused, looked up at her aunt. Noori smiled a little.

'Maybe this time too you should consider fulfilling his wish?' She leaned back, tapping her index finger on the rim of the mug. Amaal avoided her gaze and nodded, fidgeting with the strings of the guitar.

Haider got so busy with the game that he didn't realize how the time flew by. He heard the door click and he panicked. He hurriedly began to gather everything when the door flung open. He stilled looking at the door, Amaal stood clenching the doorknob and gaped at him. Haider felt his ears burn.

She covered her mouth and giggled softly, he lowered his gaze and dropped everything.

'It is not what it looks like, okay.' He responded as she walked in letting the door close behind him.

'I was just cleaning this—mess.' Haider scrunched his nose.

'Hmm.' Amaal clapped her hands and sat on the lower bunk, placing one leg over the other, - 'Remember the first time we met here. We were in the same situation but reverse.' She twirled her long and slim index finger. Haider thought for a moment and nodded. He smiled little and sat beside her. She clasped her fingers and looked at the remote controls lying lifelessly at their feet.

'You want to play with me?' She turned her head and looked at him. Haider looked back and nodded without any reluctance. Amaal smiled widely, grabbed his hand, and pulled him down with her.

Haider had fun time bonding with Amaal, the last person he thought he would enjoy his time with. Slowly, he felt at ease. And when the afternoon bell rang, both were disappointed. Amaal let out a sigh and rested her head against his shoulder. Haider stilled for a moment and then relaxed drooping his shoulder. Slowly, Amaal moved her hand and held his. He stretched his neck and glanced down at their hands. He gulped softly and looked away. Just then, Amaal moved away and jumped on her feet. She pushed back her long bangs and huffed placing her hands on her hips.

'Come, I am starving for snacks.' She urged him to stand up, - 'All this beating you to plump in this game has made me hungry.' She added, massaging her tummy.

Haider frowned and before he could respond, Amaal had grabbed his hand and pulled him up. He let her drag him towards their destination.

Okay, Alina, this wasn't expected of you. But, she was subtly egoistic while comparing herself to Meera, don't you guys feel the same? 

And, Awww, Amaal and Haider are bonding *_* Magic *laughs out loud*

How was the chapter, guys? Drop your thoughts in the comments, please *smiles* and Stay Tuned for the next update *lots of love*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro