9: Helen [EDITED]

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It had become common for me to be present in his court, which, today, was cruelly silent with no one attending to the Emperor.

It was unlike the other days, bursting with conspiracy theories the Emperor found engrossing.

But I had only one mission: prove myself worthy – to the court, to my Father. And especially so, with the current Yami unrest due to the announcement of Selene's... execution.

It may not be the execution involving a chopped head, but it was certainly an execution involving stripping of power.

"Good evening, Father." I curtsied. "I am here to alert you of an... intruder," I said, pointing at the abandoned East Tower of the Palace.

Father was a distracted mess. He was unable to focus on any of his already instilled protection devices. He was strangely quiet, not even breaking a single smile to have me on his side – having taken advantage of Mother.

If it was for show, to gain pity and generous public opinion, he was overdoing it.

But Eric Yami was not the man to ask for acceptance – he preferred speaking through his sword rather than actions.

I suspected – rather, knew – it was something regarding Selene.

Information I would not be able to get my hands on.

"Who is it?" he asked finally, collecting his thoughts. He had started recovering his demeanor, his hard exterior. And I was in no condition to exploit the tiny cracks in his attitude currently.

"A girl, taller than me. It somehow feels that she's a peasant – but then again, who would not disguise themselves whilst breaking in the Palace? I can't even tell if she's a Royal or a commoner, given how Uta is the most useless Kingdom in existence, they all just feel the same. There's only so much a layer of Magic scattered through the Palace can detect."

"...Uta, you say?" Eric displayed slight interest, smirking slightly, as if someone had finally done what he had predicted years back.

"Uta, I mean. I am absolutely sure it's from the East Kingdom, as in, Uta."

"Leave her alone. Uta is going to be warring with Kirai soon anyway, this isn't worth my time."

"But isn't Selene going to live there?"

Something inside him snapped. It wasn't anger or anything – in fact, it wasn't even detectable. But his breathing grew uneven, and he tried to mask it by pretending to be tired – he rubbed his eyes with his fists, punishing himself for getting weak.

"That's one tower I didn't want her to take," he whispered, perhaps recalling terrifying memories.

Ah.

That was the tunnel Grandfather had made for Grandmother back when he was subjected to a political marriage – but did not wish to marry anyone but the then Princess of Uta. They had planned to elope through there, but the plan proved unsuccessful. They were caught – but Yami granted the marriage, and Uta, a smaller Kingdom then, grew steadily in power. Today, my Maternal Grandmother sat in my Paternal Grandmother's position, detached from everyone, stealing what was meant to be for the Empress from Uta.

And Father had been undoubtedly traumatized in that Tower.

Though he would not admit it, and Selene would never reveal it, both Father and daughter were suspicious of Uta to the point of having the Tower personally monitored.

"You can override her, if you'd like," I replied, poking on his and Selene's relationship further. "You can do anything in this Empire that you wish to."

He didn't say any further. Whether he detected my wanting to confirm Selene's worth or he simply didn't have an answer, I could not say.

But the more I thought about it, the less sense it made. Father would publicize Selene's apparent private execution, erase her traces from the world, and train her to be an assassin – what meaning did that even have?

He could've killed Mother. He could've killed me.

He didn't even need us for whatever reason – not even to keep face. Selene was his one and only requirement. If the Hikari side of the Empire would dare defy him through riots, half the Empire would be erased without doubt. Was it the moral code of Yami he was trying to keep up?

Or was it something bigger, like the words he repeatedly told Selene—

Kill in the name of God.

The words were chilling and unnatural. Never had I ever heard such a statement – supposed to be a Princess's life goal, at that.

Corruption is one thing I don't want in my Empire. Immorality is another. Revolution is the third. By serving the Royal Family, you will pay atone for your sins, as well as show your gratitude to me for saving your life. And you will kill in the name of God.

He was surprisingly harsh with Selene then. I was always under the impression that he treasured Selene – but perhaps I was wrong?

It was when I was immersed in such thoughts that I happened to overhear an unlikely statement – purely by chance – which was somehow perfectly in cue:

"Helen," Father silently mumbled, perhaps mostly to himself, "you know Selene's nothing compared to you, right? Why is it that you were born to Hikari?"

I think I might have had stopped breathing for a few moments in surprise. His voice wasn't loud, unwilling to reveal that bit of information.

It wasn't exactly forbidden, but an heir of Hikari was always belonged in the Light, and an heir of Yami functioned best under the dark.

He couldn't possibly risk the end of Yamian blood with Selene, just because he wanted to exchange heirs. And, even if he tried, Hikari would recognize his desire and put a huge bounty on my head.

"...I shall take my leave then, Father." I bowed. "You seem to require some time alone."

He, once again, did not respond.

As I disappeared into the Main Hall, I was giddy with pride and happiness. I couldn't hold it in and began squealing, hoping my Etiquette teacher wouldn't see me show unladylike manners.

Helen, you know Selene's nothing compared to you, right? Why is it that you were born to Hikari?

Looking at my Mother, rejoicing after the publication of the murder and Selene's execution, I finally saw through her—

She was a pawn.

Pawn were, many at times, considered the most useless piece on the chessboard, just because they were the ones who died on the frontlines, the ones who had no special move. Pawns have been perceived as throwaway pieces in chess, and one pawn dead or two didn't really hold much significant value.

But pawns could be unspeakably dangerous. Upon reaching the end of the board, pawns could choose to become any strong piece. Their kills weren't to be overlooked either.

That was what Eric considered Reine. A deceiving piece.

She was bathing in reputation that she did not even have, treating herself as a rare diamond though she was some abundantly found mineral – but you never know.

She was terribly unpredictable.

"Mother, Mother." I ran over to her sobbing figure, still showing her grievance.

We silently communicated through our pupils. I told her:

Selene is really going to die, Mother. Yami will be mourning in three hours.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro