Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I never knew what happened to Cedar. My convent never showed up again. He was a die-hard; I doubt he left. I still worry about them showing up sometimes. Especially today.

"They're not here yet?" Claire asks.

I barely pay attention. Claire has gotten much more nervous over the past few months and I don't blame her. Rather than focus on that, I am adjusting the way my bangs look for the millionth time. They might suit me, but they are such a pain. Even a worse pain to grow out. I've tried over the last year but I haven't been able to do it.

"They'll be here soon," Emily points out. She adjusts the back of my dress again, even though I'm sure it looks fine.

I appreciate that Sam is taking care of their baby girl and their little boy this morning. I need her by my side. Even though I've grown quite close to Claire, Emily will always be the first person that I trusted in La Push.

"How long does it take to take pictures with a tombstone?" Claire laughs, caressing her baby bump. I'm glad she chose a bridesmaid dress that was very flowy and had room to fill for the baby.

"I'm not rushing them," I sigh, even though I would appreciate it if Jacob and his sisters could be back soon.

"You should," Claire jokes.

I pick up my bouquet, feeling the flowers. Claire did everyone's make-up this morning; she's getting better at it every day. She wants to start her own salon in La Push but she isn't sure how much business she would get. I'd make the trek out from Forks to support her. I'd do it any day.

Rachel comes in the room, in her bridesmaid dress, finally back. Her hair is staticy and Claire rushes to pat it down.

I smile. They are back.

"Finally," Claire coos, "at least you aren't soaking wet too."

"I wore a different dress at the cemetery," Rachel explains.

It's pouring rain outside. We're in a conservatory just outside of Forks, and I couldn't be happier. Instead of playing music while walking down the aisle, I'm going to listen to the sound of rain. The very thing that brought me to Jacob in the beginning.

The officiant comes in and tells us that we are good to enter, so the girls and I line up. We didn't include a maid of honour or a best man, mostly because neither Jacob nor I could pick amongst our friends. Claire, Emily, and Rachel have become closer to me over the years. Kim never quite grew on me, but she and Jared are still here. It occurs to me that outside of my coworkers at the library, where I work during the day, and the diner, where I work nights, I have never made any friends here.

It's a small affair. Jacob has a bit of family here but I have none. Now, it's just us and the packs, even though for the most part, they've retired. At least, for now. The Cullens left years ago. There is no longer a threat in La Push.

Claire is the first to head out and make her way down the aisle, after coming over to me one last time and adjusting my bangs. I hope I look as beautiful as she did on her wedding day. It was only two months ago, and she had to get her dress altered to fit around her baby.

Rachel squeezes my hand once, and I can feel the ring on her finger. I remember when Paul asked for Jacob's permission. It was years ago now, but the memory is fresh. Memories never do fade.

Like the time he pretended to be blind.

"You ready?" Emily asks. She smiles at me, waiting for my response.

I think of her wedding, how scared I was that day when I was forced into this world against my will. Even to this day, I don't know that I'm here by choice. Fate has played a weird role in my life. I still don't believe in any god, but there's got to be some sort of fabric that holds the universe together. It's what brought me to Jacob. It's what unified our lives.

"It's too late to back out, isn't it?" I ask Emily.

She frowns, "Fawn..."

"I'm only joking," I laugh, even though I'm not.

I've always been good at running away.

Emily leaves, and I know I could leave now. I don't have a bag packed anymore, but I could borrow the keys to Embry's car and drive away. I could pack a bag in a minute and run somewhere warmer, somewhere incredibly far away. Every memory behind me, a new last name on me, I could do it.

I don't want to be Fawn Dubois anymore. I'm a Black.

I step forward, and into the hallway, and Jacob sees me.

And even though it's impossible, I swear at that moment, I look at him differently.

~~~~~

And, marking complete. Like Fawn? Follow me, and if enough people are interested, I might write a sort of sequel involving Embry and his love interest. I've made a chapter in my miscellaneous book White Secrets if you haven't already checked it out and you are interested!

Thank you for sticking on this wild journey with me. That's Fawn Dubois' story. I hope you enjoyed and I hope to see you again!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro