28 PLEASANT

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

When the door finally closed upon Bray's then Olo's leaving, Oni had a hard time looking down at himself—the uniform specifically. It felt cheap—he felt cheap.

No one else came looking for favors in exchange for food. No one...but the last person here. Pleasant.

A quiet fell over the large room. The air was stifling. Wall after wall closed in. Oni tried to pull it together, because while he was having a very real reaction to what he'd just witnessed, the suffocating silence lingering between the three of them meant he, perhaps, wasn't alone.

Pleasant wore no fancy uniform, a fact that Oni noticed too late.

Sen, still holding his matrix in one hand, stared her down. It was difficult to read his expression.

He wasn't the only one confusing, because Pleasant returned his gaze.

Oni looked between them, wondering if there was some unspoken conversation taking place.

After a grueling ten minutes—Oni was certain—Sen said, "How may I help you?"

Pleasant's lips parted and Oni found himself leaning forward, the anticipation alone eating away at his grim mood.

In the end, however, Pleasant lowered her gaze and hove a sigh.

Sen was Sen in this. Much like he'd wait on Oni to recover and fail at another maneuver again and again, or repeated a new pattern of parameters for his brother during their reviewing of surveillance, he was patient here.

A normal person would grow tired, frustrated, annoyed at her hesitation. Even Lotsu would have more than lost it by now.

He certainly would have when Pleasant turned and made her way to the door without a word.

"When you're ready to tell me what you need to," Sen said, interrupting her retreat, "I'll be here."

Oni glanced between them.

And then Oni saw it—the insecurity beyond her hesitation.

In that instance, he bit back a gasp. Because she was behaving like Oni himself. Every prideful deep breath she took, willing herself to turn, Oni willed her to as well.

Because he now knew what it was she'd come for.

The moment she walked out, Oni's spirits sank.

Coward.

Perhaps he would be saying that word to himself in the mirror tonight.

Now, without Pleasant here, Oni waited for Sen to grumble something terrible at her back, something. But he just stared at the door.

A beep on his matrix forced him to look down.

"Brother, that recruit you have me shadowing has visited one male."

A tap of the screen had Oni's image flashing. Sen hesitated then dismissed the notification.

That one tap felt like a spike thrust against Oni's throat. He scrambled to clarify.

"She wasn't here for me! Honest."

But Sen didn't focus on him, only the door, as he sighed. "Is there anything you need?"

Oni waited for some sort of visual acknowledgement. Now with Sen's eyes preoccupied, there was no telling if he was talking to his brother or not.

At the silence, Oni realized he was the one addressed. "What?"

Sen nodded back to the desk littered with small papers of I.O.Us.

Was that even legal? More than one thing on that table held his interest, be it the weapons training allotment hours rising or...or the food, but Oni searched Sen's expression, waiting for the trick. This was the boy who'd beaten him mercilessly upon his first arrival. He still wore the eyepatch for it.

"You can take the extra food and use it for a small date." His eyes slid from the door, moving between narrow slits until they settled on Oni. "Dev doesn't like sweets but the gesture might buy you some points."

A shadow crossed Oni's heart.

This was a trick.

His expression was why Sen scoffed. "Might as well give you all the chances you want, wash out, because you're not making it tomorrow, even if I had a lifeline. And after you fail, you'll never get the chance to come back—you'll never get the chance to see her again. So why not? Throw everything at it. Fight for it like you'll fight for your last breath tomorrow. Go down trying."

Each word came with a mocking Oni felt stupid for not anticipating. This was Sen, his enemy, not Sen, his head cadet. He was also Sen, his mark—a mark he'd lose if he couldn't pass tomorrow.

Instead of falling for the so-called generous offer, Oni stood at attention, defiant.

Sen snorted out a laugh then consulted his matrix once more. It was in that instance that something else occurred to Oni—Sen's brother, a clone who monitored them entirely, reacted to Pleasant being in the vicinity of Oni, but not of Sen.

That was a more than interesting thing to note.

Pleasant was a force, and would no doubt pass in the morning, Oni wondered what would happen to her.

The door opened and someone marched in, fit to kill.

Even wearing a death scowl, Dev was a vision today. Her dark brown hair was up. It complimented her slender neck well. She also wore a uniform decorated with even more emblems than Sen.

Upon scanning the room, she cursed under her breath. "That...."

Sen rushed to the door and caught her by the arm. "Looking for me?"

Oni bristled. "It's more than obvious that she wasn't."

When they regarded him in surprise, he took a step back as well.

Sen smirked at him then pulled Dev into a half hug. "What is it, cousin?"

Chest still heaving, but from anger or exertion, Oni couldn't say, Dev grumbled, "She won't listen. She doesn't follow protocol. The other six are all dressed and ready to go! Why won't she just do what's expected for once?"

"That doesn't sound like her," Sen said to himself.

His cousin caught his eye. "What? Of course, that's like her. I've just about had it up to here with Mercy."

Mercy.

Oni and Sen both shared a glance.

"Want me to track her?" Sen asked.

Dev gave his words some careful though then sighed. "No. We'll go, and if even one of them is gone, they find out the hard way that I can be ruthless, too."

Sen busted out laughing as he hugged her close. "That'll be the day. Come on. We'll dance and merry for a time. This is our first time at one of these without your mother's watchful eye."

At her groan, he guided her out the door but not before Sen looked back at him and grinned.

Oni didn't appreciate being mocked but he couldn't afford to let them leave him behind. He hurried out as well.

All cadets were dressed nicely. More than one traveled in pairs or groups. Oni'd never seen anything like it.

He certainly hadn't when he arrived at the main announcement hall to find the massive gathering of people bustling about. More than one head cadet paired off, chatting in a relaxed fashion.

The lights were dim, colorful strobes flashed high above. This was certainly a gathering.

Fear crept into Oni's spine first before anticipation. A party wasn't a thing of revelry where he came from—it was usually a mask for something else.

Lotsu always said, even when people meant well, they couldn't help but be awful.

Oni decided to keep on his guard—and away from the awful Sen who made his way through the crowd without opposition. If this was back home and this party was a front for something, Oni supposed Sen's dealing of contraband hair gel made him the crime boss to look out for.

Maybe there was something more in those things people asked for—a drug in the hollow of the hairbrush, perhaps.

All sorts of strange theories rushed through his head.

They all faded when they arrived at Dev's crew.

He was the only one relieved.

Sen gave Dev a final squeeze. "Come on. Cheer up. So your crew's disrespecting you. What else is new?"

Dev gave off a groan, audible above the endless chatter. To her surprise, and Oni's, her full crew was there.

She was still less than pleased. "Pleasant."

The girl in question cut her a glance. "Oh? You remember my name now?"

This amount of sass coming from someone usually so quiet had Oni blinking. Sen laughed.

When Dev's eyes settled on him, he admitted, "Well, she's got a point."

Dev squinted at him then turned her attention to Pleasant once more. "You should match everyone else. We've discussed this. Of the seven uniforms, why is only one of you using the official one for ceremonies?"

A rolling of Pleasant's eyes ended the conversation right there.

It also etched a scowl onto Dev's face as she unhitched her matrix and wrote in yet another reprimand.

Oni waited, eyeing Sen's dormant matrix. He'd been around the boy long enough to understand the colors of the flashing screen. Sure enough, the device flashed red, receiving Dev's complaint. And sure enough, now it flashed blue, automatically deleting it.

"Leave it," Sen said with a laugh. "What'll it matter?"

"It matters—"

Before Dev could finish her thought, Sen swirled her around. When he yanked her back, Oni thought to step in but something unexpected came with that maneuver—laughter.

Dev fought back the smile. "Stop and be serious."

"See that? Even you want to relax. Besides, this is one of the few times when a gathering of Volunteers is a riot and not a looming death. I, for one, won't be passing it up." He challenged, "How about you?"

Of the seven, only Mercy wore her nice uniform. She also had something else, decorations. There weren't many, and the ones Oni recognized were won by several of the other sisters—mostly Pleasant, but it looked impressive enough.

"Fine," Dev said at length. "Our clutch is in charge of the entertainment anyway."

Sen beamed, "Really?"

Dev rehooked her matrix and struck him in the stomach. "Figured you'd like that."

"This will be hilarious and well worth it." He addressed Oni directly with eye contact for the first time. "You have a talent? Play an instrument?"

With all eyes on him, Oni cleared his throat.

"I—I have one," someone said. After gaining their attention, Pleasant lowered her hand.

Mercy's big smile never faded. She looked about ready to laugh.

Pleasant glanced down at her. "It's—"

"It's a dumb idea. But go on if you feel so confident."

The two sisters stared at one another. Between them, the other five looked uncomfortable.

Pleasant was as well but she shook off her fear and told Sen, "We can sing—"

"She. Can sing," Mercy corrected, covering her face with a laugh.

Dev calmed, genuinely interested. "Perfect. Very well, that will be at least one good thing from this crew. Far better than being known for our usual carnage and meng ups. I'll announce it."

All color drained from Pleasant's face. "What?"

But Dev was already making her way through the crowd. Sen stared at Pleasant for only a moment before giving chase. "Dev, wait."

With them gone, something strange unfolded. Mercy turned and shoved Pleasant back with all her might. The other sisters caught her.

"We do not deviate from the plan!"

Pleasant regained her footing. She was calm when she insisted, "The plan can change."

"Coward! You absolute coward. You know mother promised me full scores. Full marks." In between Mercy's ranting and raving, something happened to her. She lost breath. The way she wound down had Pleasant rushing to her, but no one else.

Pleasant even looked behind her at the other five traitors, confused. "We must help her."

But of the five remaining girls, one said, "Why?"

That one word tore a cry from Mercy and a gasp from Pleasant as well. Despite her anger and rage, Mercy couldn't stand to her full height fully to voice her fury. She instead clutched her chest.

Oni took them in. This was his first time alone with them.

The five dissidents stood defiant but Pleasant entreated them, "We've come a long way. But we can't get the rest of the way alone. And I've found a loophole."

"It won't be one for you," another sister countered.

Despite Mercy's distress, Pleasant abandoned her and turned to her family. "Listen, it's best for us all. Even for me. It's the absolute best and I've found an out." She searched their inhospitable expressions for help.

Mercy scratched for her but other than reaching back to still her hands, Pleasant never took her eyes off her sisters.

"Sunshine, give me the medicine."

Oni wasn't sure which girl that was but no one moved.

Pleasant voiced her disappointment. "We don't fear anything. Not even this. Because I don't fear it. Come. Hand over the medicine."

Mercy cradled close to Pleasant's back, turning her face away from anyone who took interest in her plight.

After what felt like years, the tallest girl of the seven of them hesitated then stepped forward to shove something into Pleasant's grip.

Now their combat uniform made sense. The fancy ones couldn't carry nearly as much.

Pleasant was in motion in no time. Watching her was unreal. Punctuated all the more by how they all recovered before Dev's return.

A gong sounded and the crowd quieted.

Dev carried her matrix which she scrolled through. "We will start the entertainment off. As we should really leave early to train just a bit more, I've invited other crews to share one talent instead of putting the burden squarely on us."

She rattled off her instructions, never looking up from her tablet, until she finally said, "So, which song is your specialty?"

The seven sisters remained frozen like a band of captured criminals.

Sen made it back to them, carrying one drum and another instrument Oni couldn't identify.

A spotlight shined on them and Dev raised her hand to the applause. Once it died down, she smiled while leaning close to Sen, "Finally. Something we can be known for. I'd even thought to ask but figured they were too rough socially to even try if they could."

Proud wasn't a word to do her smile justice.

"We don't sing," Mercy said, though she paced herself. A glance at the collective of backstabbers to her right had her scowling. "Well, I don't."

Their cue came and Dev panicked. "We must choose a song quickly. I hadn't anticipated this. I wish one of you'd have informed me sooner." She looked between them. "So just six of you then? That should be a hoot."

"Cousin," Sen warned through gritted teeth, "we should go without them."

"Nonsense." Dev argued, "When have you ever seen them volunteer for something they weren't good at?" No counter came so she told Pleasant, "Please do what it is you usually do. We'll accompany you if we can."

She was already preparing the instrument she took from Sen, adjusting its long neck and fiddling with the dials.

When she was done, she gave them an expectant smile.

It was in this moment that Oni saw the divide. Pleasant and the other sisters on one side, Mercy on the other.

Sen said, "None of you have to—"

But Pleasant had already turned, making her way to the same stage where Sen's father had addressed the recruits nearly half a year ago.

She climbed up the steps, stared out at the crowd, and settled her eyes on Sen for some time.

Even Dev took notice as she asked Sen, "Have you said something to anger her?"

Instead of answering, Sen watched on.

The moment Pleasant began to sing, the room fell silent.

Dev's jaw dropped. She wasn't the only one. Collectively, the room's reaction morphed into something beyond explanation.

Oni watched on, eyes wide, bearing witness to something not conjured up in his most creative imagination.

As she continued, reaching the chorus, nothing moved; no one spoke.

Pleasant closed her eyes, summoning as much emotion as she could from deep inside her. Her voice grew louder and as she opened her mouth to belt out that song, the melody escaped, took flight, soared, ceased, then plummeted, a mangled mess of one of the greatest songs of the Outerlimits.

Even the showstopping ending wasn't spared.

Oni imagined that song, that brutalized, masticated, butchered melody crawling on the floor, desperate to escape Pleasant's clutches. She snatched it back up for one last attempt as she chomped out the lyrics a final time.

Dev was in awe for obvious reasons. "Why is this happening to me?" she lamented.

Sen stared on. When it ended, surely all ears rejoiced. Out of everyone there, looking awkward and sufficiently beaten down, Sen wore a look of pride.

Not one clap came. Instead, uncomfortable coughs punctuated the air.

"Come on," Dev said, striking his chest.

"Oh. Right." Sen remembered himself as he readied the drum before him. It hung around his neck and he played it at lightning speed, drawing everyone's focus away from Pleasant and that massacre, finally.

The drumsticks thundered then stopped, Dev freezing with it. When Sen moved again, she bobbed her head in motion. The practiced stop and go made Oni's heart sing. Then she raised the instrument to rest on her hip. Oni'd seen something similar but around his way, those rested on the shoulder and chin.

All watched in awe. On the stage, Pleasant stared on as well, unsure of how to proceed. What Oni wanted to do was call on Olo to rescue her. He lost his chance when Bray shoved Olo out of the crowd and nodded for the stage.

Everything happened so fast that Oni couldn't register it. Pleasant stepped off that stage as Olo ascended. Once on top, his voice would project but it resounded even before he was up there.

The revelry of it drew Oni in. It drew him in even further when he caught Pleasant's gaze from this distance.

She didn't look sad, though there was something there behind her expression. When he eyes drifted to Sen who, unlike Olo who sang on stage, weaved through the crowd, they lingered there for a moment.

And that confirmed what Oni suspected. Just like he pined for Dev who'd sooner combust than noticed, she'd directed her admiration on the one person she probably shouldn't. Their unofficial warden.

The same warden who moved in sync with his cousin, garnered the cheer and respect of others, and was eons out of her league.

She must have known it. Because, rather than return to her sisters, she took in the crowd. The look in her eyes meant she was up to something. The gesture she made along her shoulder with her hand all but confirmed it.

It meant goodbye—a goodbye given to a place where one knew they'd never return.

And this was her goodbye when she walked out—no one even noticing that she was gone at all. No one but her five sisters who stood watching her retreat, tears in their eyes.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro