5 - Defender

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It was no use. No matter what she tried, it still wouldn't work. Every single substance that might cause some sort of corrosion, even an irritation, came with challenges. There was always something that left it impossible.

Once, about an hour ago, she'd gotten close. Almost to the point of testing. But then she'd realised that her maths had been incorrect. So she'd been back to square one.

Growling in frustration, Lexi tore her claws through yet another page of endless calculations. Once again, this test had lead to the same conclusion.

With the elements currently discovered, claw-made poison was impossible.

"But, of course, I can't tell them that," she muttered to herself. "They won't believe me. They won't believe science." Shaking herself, she bounded to the open doorway, in need of some fresh air.

Why isn't a Toxiwylf's venom enough for them? she wondered. What makes them need to act at a distance?

It had briefly crossed her mind to try collecting the toxins from wolves of the poisonous Pelt. But that plan was thwarted by Thorin's Third Law - the annoyingly logical one, which stated that all matter produced by a wolf was useless without its host.

Shaking out her golden fur, Lexi pulled her mind away from work, instead focusing on the beautiful sight before her. Millions - no, billions of stars, each a massive ball of burning gas, reduced to mere pinpricks of light amongst the darkness. It was said that every star visible from Sylvera was constructed of a wolf's soul, after their earthly form had passed on. Only the most noble and pure souls could become stars. As she gazed out into the night, she was witnessing the afterlives of all the kindest, bravest, and most generous wolves that had come before her.

Just that very thought let a blanket of calm settle over her Pelt. She breathed out, a sigh of contentment. Maybe I'l call it a day here.

As she stepped away, something made her turn back to observe the darkened front of her lab. The four golden letters loomed out of the darkness. Lexi. Nothing more, nothing less.

With a dismissive flick of her tail, Lexi turned her hazel eyes back to the path before her. Her name meant defender. She'd known that ever since it had first been gifted to her, nearly six moons ago now.

But what did that mean? How could she defend anyone? She was hardly capable of defending herself, let alone anyone else. The only wolf she had a chance at defending was Thirty-Four, and she'd failed spectacularly at that. There was nothing she could do against Maynard, or Damon.

With a frustrated shake of her head, Lexi sped up her pace, turning the corner and rendering her lab out of sight. She glanced up at the grimy window of the larger lab on the end. Even in the gloomy darkness, she could clearly make out the silvery threads of cobwebs, glimmering through the grey glass. The lab was owned by Ramman - a wolf who hadn't visited his lab in over a moon now, and had recieved no punishment for doing so.

But if she was even a few minutes late, she could wave goodbye to that week's pay.

The anger hardened her gaze. The next building she passed was the Wylfire headquarters itself, and she trained a forceful glare on the flame-orange walls. At night, they were bleached of the fiery colour, but even now heat radiated from the place, sizzling and crackling amongst the moisture in the air. Lexi's glare fell away. As furious as the unfairness made her, there was nothing she could do. The Flamewylves were simply too powerful.

From there, it was only a short trek before she was met with the much softer walls of her own home. The place only consisted of two rooms, and so from the outside it appeared small and feeble, even compared to the other two or three room houses edging the street. But Lexi knew better. It was deceptive. Once inside, all that became a distant memory.

She didn't even pause before striding directly for the door. It was opened just as she lifted her paw, preparing to knock. "Come in, darling," her mother told her, concern dancing in her eyes. "Dear Luna, you must be exhausted!" There wasn't time to disagree. Lexi was bundled in and pushed towards the fire before she could even say hello. Pale brown paws closed around her, pinning her gently against the threadbare rug. It was by far the most comfortable spot in the whole world.

"I'm fine, mum, really," she protested, but she didn't struggle too much against her mother's embrace. "I got my new assignment today, that's all. I needed to... figure out some things." In other words, figure out that her assignment was impossible.

"Oh yes?" Her mother turned her head, meeting Lexi's eyes. "What have you been given?"

Tracing her gaze to the smouldering fire, Lexi shifted uncomfortably. It wasn't that she didn't want to tell her mother. Quite the opposite. Discussing anything with either of her parents always helped immensely, and she'd spent many an evening discussing her job before, to sort out her jumbled thoughts. But this time was different. It was dangerous. She didn't want to worry them.

Then again, she was sure her mother had acute lie-detecting abilities. She could read her daugher's mind better than any Mystwylf.

Thankfully, Lexi was saved from the scrabble for a believable lie by her father. "Journ? Is that Lexi home?" His own brown snout appeared from the back room, and he answered his own question. "Ah, good. How was work?"

She shrugged. "Average." It was far from the truth, but much to her relief it came out as casual as she'd hoped.

With a nod, her father jogged over, curling up beside them on the rug. There was just enough space for the three of them to squeeze on, all sharing each other's warmth. "Oh, and good news! Your mum and I caught a deer today!"

Lexi's eyes widened in delight. "Really?" She squirmed a little closer to him, thrusting her paws around both of her parents. "That's amazing! How big is it?"

"Even bigger than you," her mother replied, ruffling her daughter's ears. It seemed their earlier conversation had been forgotten. Thank Luna.

"It was a joint effort," her father added with a glance at Journ. "Between all three of us. We caught it using a hunting permit you earned, Lex." His eyes shone with pride.

She shook her head in response. "No. That's just a coincidence. You two are the skilled hunters." It still made her incredibly happy, though, to know that she was really helping her family to survive. So often, it felt like her job was useless. But it wasn't. It was worth it.

I have to find a way to create the poison. For their sakes.

Her mother gave her a knowing glance. "I think someone might have forgotten what time it is." Rising, she flicked her tail towards Lexi's father. "Come on, Jig. Goodnight, Lexi. Try and switch off from work." Her gaze lingered on Lexi, that same concern from earlier rising in her eyes. But she didn't add anything else.

"I will," Lexi replied, trying to convey with her expression that she was on top of everything, and that all was fine. "Goodnight!"

With a nod, her mother exited into the back room, followed by her father. When Lexi had been a pup, all three of them had slept by the fire, but when she'd gotten her Pelt her parents had insisted that she have her own space. No amount of protesting that it was all fine could stop them. She had to admit, she did prefer having her own room to sleep in, but she didn't like having things at the expense of her family.

Curling up, she closed her eyes. Time to relax.

Unfortunately, her mind wasn't particularly good at relaxing.

As she lay there, basking in the comforting warmth of the fire, Thirty-Four crept into her thoughts. Did he get home alright? Was he upset when she left him? She knew the answer to the latter. Of course he was. It hurt both of them to have to separate like that. She hated that they weren't both Peltless anymore - but then she also hated that he still was.

I hope he didn't do anything stupid, she thought to herself, staring at the sliver of darkness through the door window. As unfairly as they treat him, he shouldn't provoke them. He'll only make things worse.

But, as the minutes dragged on, Lexi found herself growing more and more restless at the thought of him. Her fur prickled in anxiety. Thirty-Four's bleeding snout, the frustrated shine in his blue eyes... the image clenched her throat. Something tugged at her mind. She threw glance after glance at the door, longing to know for certain.

Finally, she rose to her paws, unable to stand it anymore. As silent as possible, she crept over to the opening between the back room and her own. Both her parents were sound asleep - eyes closed, breathing steadily, leaning into one another. If she hurried, they wouldn't notice.

Just a quick check. That was all she needed.

The brush of her paw pads seemed so much louder in the darkness. Her claw tapped the floorboards, and she froze. But they didn't stir. She crossed, achingly slowly, to the door, and nudged it open. The creak made her wince, and she glanced backward in terror. Nothing. You're fine, Lexi.

The cold air stung her skin, as if repeatedly reminding her of how wrong this was. Why sneak out? What was the point?

I have to know, she replied strongly. I have to make sure he's safe.

With a final exhale, Lexi closed the door and began along the path. If something had happened, she knew exactly where he'd be.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro