$9

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Daisy's hand was still clamped over my mouth as though she thought I didn't realize how big of a mistake I'd made. I pressed myself into the wall as though I hoped to disappear into it.

Leah's voice rang out. "Somebody's here."

Theo's voice was uncertain. "Why would they scream? It sounded like..." He was about to say it sounded like me. I could feel it. "It sounded like metal against metal. Probably just a gust of wind."

"No. That was a human scream. If someone followed us-"

"Who would follow us?" Theo said just like he did when he was lying to surprise me.

"Someone could have seen something. We were careful but still."

"Leah, they wouldn't know who we are. Let's just get home."

"They could. I used your name already, Theodore White."

He took a deep breath.

"Now, let's make sure we don't have any... misunderstandings about what's happening here," Leah commanded.

"Leah..."

Her shoes made a loud clicking sound as she made her way towards me and Daisy. Daisy took her hand off my mouth, tugging me away from the approaching figure.

I followed her and me and Daisy both started to run.

"There are two people. Come on, Theo."

I heard her running after me. Daisy and I ran as fast as we could, she always just a little bit ahead of me.

I followed her diligently through the allies until we burst out onto a busy road. Daisy and I both slowed to a walk on the side of the road, hoping the reasonableness of a pedestrian would protect us. We walked slowly, my hands twitching as I felt us moving towards money.

"Rosella, just try to avoid doing it right now. Alright?"

Daisy was staring into a little indent in the wall that was lit so that the ATM stood as though surrounded in a holy glow. I looked between her and the machine.

"I can't. I'm sorry."

I stood so I was in front of it, my hands coaxing the green out of it as Daisy watched in fascination and horror. I clutched it to my chest, and the look of disappointment on her face made me sit down hard. My breath never seemed to go to my lungs.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Daisy leaned against the wall.

"Let's get you home. Ok?"

I nodded, words seeming lost to me.

$$$

Theo wasn't in our apartment when I got back. Daisy took the money gently from me, stood up, and put it in the painting. I wanted to berate her for taking it from me, even if it was to save me from getting up off my bed, but I was too tired.

"So Theo..." I started.

"Yeah."

"And Leah-"

"She's doing what she thinks is right."

"Is there any way to fix me?" I asked, suddenly wanting to cry.

"I don't know."

I stayed quiet for a long time, never moving.

"Daisy, thanks for telling me, at least."

She rubbed my shoulder soothingly. "You're owed an explanation."

I couldn't will myself to get up to pull the covers over myself or change into pajamas, so I just closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

I opened my eyes to the dark apartment, Theo's arms suddenly around me, his lips brushing my forehead. Then, I felt him tugging my shoes off my feet. I didn't open my eyes as I felt the weight of a blanket fall over me.

I had so much to say to him, but I still felt so tired. Somehow I wanted to yell at him and hug him at the same time.

The bed shook with his weight, the springs all squealing in protest. His arms wrapped around me and I fell asleep again.

$$$

I wrapped my hands around the steaming teacup Theo put in front of me.

"How was last night?" He asked, suddenly sounding weary.

I ran my finger thoughtlessly around the rim of the cup.

"It was fine. Unexpected. Exhausting. How was Leah's engagement party?" I said, wondering what he'd say. I wondered if he'd confess to me or if he'd keep with his lie.

"It didn't end up being a party," he sighed, "more of a late night walk."

I nodded. "I think me and Daisy might have seen you."

He nodded. "I think you probably did," he paused, sliding reluctantly into the chair opposite me.

"Theo, can we stop beating around the bush? Please."

Theo looked down at the table, picking at a groove in it that's been there as long as I could remember.

I reached out and rubbed his hand. "Theo, I saw you yesterday. I heard from you. Please just explain what you were saying."

He forced himself to look at me. "Rose, I don't- I can't..." And his gaze dropped again.

"Theo."

He was silent.

"Theo, you can tell me. Please tell me." I felt terrible like I was expecting something from him that I couldn't do myself. And in a way I was. I needed to tell him about the stash.

"I don't know how to start. I don't know how to explain," he said, his hands over his face.

I nodded. I was going to have to tell him, but the thought suddenly made me sick. I wanted to force out words, but I could feel my head start to crack open, the bile rising in my throat.

"Excuse me," I muttered, jumping up from the table, my hands wrapped around our sink. I leaned over the drain and heaved.

The feeling wasn't going away. I couldn't think. My head ached. I slid and sat down, wrapping my hands around my head as though that would somehow make it feel less like it was exploding.

Theo's chair scraped across the floor like nails on a blackboard.

"Rose?"

I forced my dimming vision to look up at him. I tried to choke words out, but no words ever came out.

I closed my eyes and leaned back against the counter, taking deep breaths.

"Rose? What's wrong?"

I coughed, still no words coming out. "My grandma's painting..."

I couldn't focus.

"What about it?"

And with that, I didn't feel like I could breathe much less elaborate on what I meant.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro