{14} Sketched Hearts

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"just because"

I'd been scribbling random lines on a new page. I couldn't concentrate on drawing clear and pretty designs on the invitation and my art is at it's best when I'm in a good mood.

I'm not saying I'm in a horrible mood, I'm just confused. So the best way to let out my confusion is to scribble like a blind five year old child.

Carson just picked up and left.

It doesn't bother me that much but it's still messing up my brain. First, he came and tried pick up lines on me, then he wanted to be friends and then he just left.

"Stupid. Carson," I muttered, drawing a messed up 'C' for his name then scribbling it out. "Stupid. Stupid."

"What's stupid?" someone with a deep voice abruptly spoke, "Or is it a who's stupid?"

I almost bounced ten feet in the air but only managed to jump one foot. At least my pencils and book still stayed perfectly fine on my lap.

"N-Nothing," I told Carson who stood there with a slight smirk on his face, but it was more of a happy grin.

My eyes travelled from his face downwards and followed his arms. They were pulled back behind him like he was hiding something.

What if this was part of a prank? Are they water balloons or something? What's he hiding?

Carson must've seen me eyeing his hands or something because he began rambling, "Oh, right, so I bought you some hot chips because I didn't know what you'd like and most people like chips and I also got you a water bottle just in case you were thirsty and sorry I took so long, there were a few people approaching me to ask questions and the line was longer than usual and yeah."

I stared at him, blinking a few times.

Carson bought me food. Why would he do that? How would he know I was hungry? Oh God, if my stomach was rumbling, that would be so embarrassing. Hopefully, it didn't because I'm pretty sure I didn't hear anything besides the pencil against the paper.

He held the paper bag in his left hand and rubbed his neck awkwardly with his right. "Sorry, if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it but I didn't want you to starve."

I nodded, taking the bag from him and he sat down next to me. I took my sketchbook and pencils off my lap, placing them into my bag.

I put the paper bag on my lap, I opened it and peered into it. Suddenly the hot steam flew into my eyes and I flinched back. That was a bad idea.

I bit my lip, analysing the chips. What if he put something bad in it? What if this was the prank? Should I eat it?

I picked a chip up. It looked and felt normal.

I slowly put it in my mouth and chewed. Suddenly all the delicious flavour flooded my mouth. It was soft and the saltiness tasted so sweet on my tongue. I closed my eyes and sighed in content.

I looked up and smiled at Carson, "Thank you."

"No problem." He grinned.

"Want one?" I held out the paper bag to him.

"Thanks," he said, taking a few chips into his mouth. "Here's the water bottle."

I gratefully accepted it, twisting the lid open and taking a large gulp. It's been so long since I've tasted such sweet delicious water.

"Thank you," I whispered to him, wiping my mouth with the back of my wrist which probably wasn't very ladylike.

He nodded, leaning back into the chair.

I ate in silence and would hand Carson a few chips once in a while. It was his money and he bought it for me so I have to pay him back. I'll bring money tomorrow, hopefully, I'll remember.

"How much was that?" I asked, folding the paper bag into smaller squares and rectangles.

Carson arched a perfectly shaped brow, "Why do you want to know?"

I shrugged.

"I won't say." He smirked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Why not?" I asked, stumbling on my words.

"Because," He said, not giving me any further information.

"Because, why?"

"Just because."

"— and he wouldn't tell me how much too!" I exclaimed, lifting my hands in exasperation and pulled my fingers through my hair to get it out of my face.

"That's strange, Flower," Cooper said over the phone. I was video calling him on Skype. After visiting Cooper and his family, we had become close again and text every few often and occasionally a call like today.

I'd just finished dinner and I'd finished all my homework before so I was free to do whatever I wanted.

"I know!" I sighed, letting my elbows and arms fall weak so I face planted into my soft comforter on my bed.

"I don't know what game he's playing but—"

"Game? If it is a game, why is he playing with me?" I whined, lifting my head up so Cooper could see my face.

I've listed out all the theories but none of them is accurate. Pranks don't last forever and I don't think Carson could be blackmailed. I doubt he had any dirt on him, everyone likes him. A dare, however, fits the most. Perhaps a deal. Maybe he lost something and this was his punishment.

"Dunno, populars are always confusing and you'll never know their true intentions."

I nodded, sucking on my bottom lip. "What should I do? It's wrong if I ignore him completely and I can't pay him back without knowing the price."

"Just ask someone," he suggested, looking somewhere else.

I stared at him incredulously.

"Okay, fine, don't ask. Why don't you just go to the cafeteria and see the price?"

"Because people will stare!" I exclaimed, dropping my phone so it was faced down.

"No, they won't."

I picked up the phone so my face was visible again, "Yes they will and what if I dropped something? Then they'll laugh. And I haven't stepped foot in the Cafeteria in ages."

"Why are you so hung up on this? Don't pay him back then," Cooper said as he ran a hand through his hair and looked in another direction before winking.

I furrowed my brows, "But that's mean—Coopernicus." I paused. "What are you doing?"

"Winking at the mirror."

I scoffed playfully. "Why?"

"I'm taking Taylor on a date soon, gotta practice my winking skills," he explained, then blew an air kiss and winked at me.

I laughed. "I don't know how she fell for you."

"I do." Cooper smiled, taking a comb and brushing his hair.

"Practicing the 'I do' for the wedding?" I joked, leaning my head in my hands.

"Yep." He nodded.

"Right. Now help me, what do I do with Carson?" I said, rolling onto my back, holding the phone up with one hand above my head. Using my other hand, I grabbed a pillow and sat it on my face.

"Just act normal."

"I carthe!" I said, the white pillow muffling my voice.

"Yes, you can."

"Nopp, I carthe," I repeated, taking the soft material off my face for fresh air. "it's just...weird."

"Well, I don't think you or I can do anything either way. So act normal until it stops, because if he suddenly appears, he can also suddenly disappear."

I nodded, "Thanks Coopernicus."

"No problem, Flower." he winked. "Can I practice my winking on you?"

I chuckled. "Be my guest."

a/n: vote and comment x

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro