38 - A Very Noisy Pause

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

‘You can talk?’ Then I correct my tone. ‘YOU LYING PIECE OF POOP TREACLE, YOU CAN TALK?!’

Niffy shrugs. ‘Long story.’

‘Who in the name of the Piranhas of Bologinimini-Pahnk is she?’ Rasthrum explodes.

‘A liar!’ I tell him. ‘A lying piece of – '

‘If you could just save your cursing for another day, Bee,' Aar says. ‘It would be much appreciated. Niffy helped us when you were off having adventures, worrying us sick!’

I let my fury have the better of me. ‘Having adventures? Seriously? You think I was enjoying this?  I would have died if you had been a second late!’

‘And we would have been, if not for Niffy!’

‘Niffy, Niffy, Niffy, it’s all about Niffy, isn’t it? I bet you were slinging your Paracord Rocks with her when I was bawling my eyes out at my new place!’

‘Don’t you dare get me started on that!’ Aar shouts. ‘I called you a million times! A million! You never picked my calls up!’

‘Only because I knew if I talked to you, I’d miss you too much and never get over you guys and never make new friends and – and . . .’

‘And whose fault is that, huh? Mine or yours?’

I can’t help the sobs that follow. ‘You’re right . . . I . . . I am . . .’

‘Guysssss,' Marra says.

‘You’re even starting to hiss like Es,' Aar complains, ignoring my sobs.

‘No, guys, seriously. Just – just take a look up. Slowly. See what your shouting has done.’

We do.

The air battle is on pause mode. Butterflies and ravens, all, are hovering absolutely still mid-air. Staring at us.

Es waves at me. ‘Hi, Bumblebee! I’ve missed you sooooooooo much! You want to know how much?’

‘No, I think we’re good, Es - '

Thiiiiiiiisssss much!’ She spread her arms as wide apart as humanly possible. Almost falls off Goof in the process.

This is when the first raven shoots itself at me.

I’m too filled with anger to care. I grab it as it plunges downward and snap its hideous beak. The bird dissolves into sand. All the while, I maintain eye contact with Aar.

And around us, all hell breaks loose.

SKSKSKSKSKSK I hope you're enjoying yourself-

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro