Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Fergus had decided the best way to get out of this place was to blend in. To put up facades, to play their twisted game and nod along whatever Nick was about to say after making the stupid tea.

The first signs of anxiety were trembling hands. That was Fergus' biggest obstacle. He balled his fists under the table, yet his face stayed stoic, cold even. He forced himself to calm down. When Nick wasn't looking, he swiped the beads of sweat from his brows with the hem of his shirt.

Smile, don't ask too many questions, accept his crazy talk and wait for the right moment.

He was still shocked by what had taken place in this house, by what they had done to him. But when he played his cards right, he could one right moment just to fly out of this horrid place. But until then he would have to play along. Manage a smile, guard your eyes and keep your posture relaxed. That's what he needed to do.

His green eyes glanced out of the windows, seeing the darkening sky.

"What do you think of enchanted people?" Fergus had been expecting a long monologue about tormented souls and unfair society, not about enchanted people. Instead of letting the suprise cross his face, the teen looked unbothered and suspicious. "Nothing, I think nothing of them." He said, his throat feeling rather dry. He watched Nick take a sip of his tea.

"Good. Because you are surrounded by them." It took all the will power in Fergus not to bolt right then and there, his insides went cold and it was hard to keep his eyes guarded. But he did it, with gritted teeth and nails in his palms, he kept himself stoic.

Was this some sort of organization? Government? How the damn Hell did Fergus get himself in this kind of situation?

Instead of asking anything, Fergus stared at Nick coldly, waiting for the old man to continue.

"My children are all special, they are different. They have been made unstoppable by me. I have given them sparkle of hope in the darkness of their lives. I was going to give you something to live for as well. But here you are, abandoning the last of my serum. So, Fergus Lennon. Tell me, who are you really?" The name that left Nicks lips was making Fergus nervous, he didn't like to label himself as Lennon. He wasn't Finlay nor Lennon. He was just simply Fergus. The mans eyes reminded him the ones of a viper. So dark and bottomless, ready to sting.

"You have a house full of enchanted people, you keep them locked up here while you keep picking up new orphans?" Keep it cool Fergus, keep it steady. You got it. He could almost hear Refsters anxious voice in the back of his mind urging him to keep his walls up. But then again, had he really known Ref? This place was making him doubt everything.

"Only the ones I see potential in. Answer my question, what are you?"

"I'm a human being." he said with gritted teeth. He had known the world was a strange place, filled with even stranger creatures. But trying to recreate something unnatural? That just messed with the balance of nature. Fergus was still trying to come to terms with the new abilities he had found out. In fact, even thinking of the word ability made him shudder. He was... He was normal, right? He was okay.

"Oh? Just human? I'm very certain that average humans can't stop bullets from reaching their mark." The kitchen was covered with warm colours and the overly sweet aroma of the forest berry tea made them look as if they were simply having a serious conversation in the kitchen. While in reality it felt as if Fergus was chained to an iron chair with the coldness creeping into his bones.

Nick's eyes seemed to flash with something Fergus couldn't pin point. He could feel the small droplets of blood from his palm where the nails dug into his pale skin. “You have no clue as to what are you, do you? Well that is simply remarkable.”

“Why are you doing this?” the dark haired teen was starting to lose his calm, the odd urge to snarl was confusing him.

“Because of Tony Stark.” he didn't expect that. But before Fergus could ask anything, Nick continued. “Tony Stark has ruined lives for years. He walks as if he owns the city, talks as if he's a god. Doesn't take responsibility for things he's done, for lives he's taken. Tony Stark is a murderer who's labeled as a hero.” Fergus frowned. “You mean Iron Man? What does this have anything to do with me?” Nick inched closer, the thought of Tony Stark made him think of Ref again. He had idolized the man. Fergus hadn't really thought anything of Ironman, he was more of a Hawkeye guy.

“You along with others will help me kill Stark and avenge the dead.”

“Pardon me, but I have absolutely no desire to take part of your murderous plots. I'd rather not get killed by Black Widow, thank you.” the information of Enchanted people and killing the Tony Stark was seriously starting to get to him, he wasn't even sure should he laugh or cry, and he never cried.

“I was at work, the day aliens attacked New York. My wife and son were at home. We had just gotten a new apartment and my wife even bought a puppy to Jason, our son. Tony Stark was the one who hit the building with his repulsors.” Nicks voice was low, his eyes distant as if he was living it through again. Fergus stayed quiet, his green eyes never leaving Nicks tired ones. “My wife had tried to protect him, her hands had been around Jason like a shield. But it was too late, the rubble had crushed both of them. I lost my ability to walk, I lost my home, my wife, my son. And Tony Stark didn't even glance at the dead, he didn't even come to clean up. He left and gave the stupid interviews. So, tell me Fergus it's unfair to want him dead, tell me its wrong to be plotting Tony Starks murder.”

Fergus said nothing, he was aware of the man was hurting, but Ironman had saved more lives then he had taken. Fergus didn't believe there were just good and bad people in the world, everyone had a piece of goodness and evil in them. But to keep to his plan, he simply nodded along.

He couldn't anger Nick now, not when the man had opened up to him. God only knows what he'd do to Fergus if he pushed the wrong buttons.

“You don't have to kill him, just help me make the path to him. You have extraordinary abilities that still need to be discovered, we both know there's something very alluring about you, Fergus.”

He could see the way Nick was manipulating him. At first, he talked of something that would make Fergus feel sorry for him and then he tried to flatter the teen. What Nick didn't know, was that Fergus' mind wasn't easily fooled. He was going to stop Nick somehow, but the next words that left the old man's mouth made him falter.

“I'm not sure if anyone told you this, but Stark is responsible for Remington's death.”

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro