7♠ An Unwelcomed Visitor

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Gripping the edge of the table I sat on, I gritted my teeth to keep from hissing in pain as Lydia spread some kind of salve across my busted knuckles. Watching her work, I noticed how she'd quirk her mouth to the side, and even get frustrated when her short hair wouldn't hold behind her ear.

"I'm sorry for how blunt I was the last time I saw you," I said when she went over to the chest in the corner. "I don't really know how to...socialize...if that makes sense. It's kind of been just Oak and I for the past ten years."

Her body stood straight up the moment I opened my mouth, and she listened attentively to every word. When she saw I was through speaking, she slowly came over, stopping right in front of me.

"Sparrow," she said with a casual smile on her fairy-like face. "I live in a camp with a ton of men, I can handle a little cold shoulder. But, thank you for the apology."

"I meant it," I shrugged. "Oak was not happy with me after I sent you away. Honestly, she's better at adjusting to this whole situation than I am, and I'm the human."

"She's a beautiful bird, and kind-hearted. I believe she gets some of that from you," Lydia shared as she finished wrapping up my hands. "You just hide it well."

Sliding off the table, I shook my head.

"That side of me died when I did," I said grimly.

"But, you came back to life," she pointed out.

Keeping my head low, I started to leave, only looking at her when she spoke, "Your hands should be fully healed by morning."

Nodding in acknowledgement, I pushed the tent flap open, stepping out just as Oak was descending from the sky.

How much of that did you hear?

Learning that she listened to the whole thing, I disregarded the sad light in her eyes, knowing she wanted to comfort me. Oak was the only one who could revive the part of me I lost the day I died. She was the only one who truly got to see glimpses of the old me; I trusted myself with her. This didn't mean I couldn't be civil with other people, it was just hard for me. Deep down inside, I knew they'd never understand me, so I always kept my distance.

Meeting another lynk was not something I'd done before coming to Camp Exodus. Bitterness set in when the only lynk I'd met was Avery, but Heath melted that away when he mentioned that one lived in the village just south of the camp.

There was hope that I'd get answers to the questions that haunted my very existence. Answers that would help me understand who I was now.

The next morning, I woke up, needing to shake off the stiffness that settled in my bones overnight. Slipping out from under my light cover, I rubbed my hands together, creating heat and bringing feeling back to them. Once I was fully dressed in all my layers, I unraveled the gauze Lydia wrapped around my knuckles, rubbing my thumb across the mended skin. 

"Well, she definitely is a healer," I marveled, stretching out my fingers as I looked at where the scrapes used to be. A raw, pinkish hue replaced the usually dry, light tone of my skin, but that was the only indication that I'd injured myself just the day before.

Putting on my black snow-gloves, I ran my hand across Oak's head, gently waking her up. 

Come on. Let's get some breakfast.

Instantly perking up, she spread her wings for flight and I opened the tent flap, chuckling as she flew out. About a minute later, I followed after her, the smile on my face falling the moment I saw who was walking up to my tent.

"Can I help you?" I questioned, my stare unwelcoming as the slender, spindly man neared.

His pale complexion blended in with the frosty setting, a stark contrast to his amber hair that vibrantly stood out. The reddish orange tones brought color to his otherwise ghostly appearance, and a sly smile formed on his thin lips as he spoke. "Easy there, dame. I just thought I'd come see what all the talk was about."

Feeling uneasy, I sent a message to Oak to make sure she was on alert. As long as she was close, I'd be able to stay calm.

"I must say, they weren't lying when they said you were a sight to see. I am, however, disappointed that your shadoe isn't here," he said, his dark eyes peering into mine. "A shame, really."

"Oh, she's never far," I stated, a hint of warning in my words that he easily picked up on.

His smile turned into a grin as he paced casually, his arms crossed but his gaze never letting up. 

"I suppose she wouldn't be," he mused, his finger tapping against his angular chin before he stilled his motions. "Perhaps I'll get to meet her another time, then."

"If you should be so unlucky."

Amusement, and a hint of something indecipherable twinkled in his eyes as he turned to leave. Looking over his shoulder, he stated, "If you ever want a break from this place, come find me."

When I didn't respond, he turned around completely, walking backwards. 

"My name's Cullen."

"I don't remember asking," I shrugged flippantly.

Still, my usually repelling demeanor didn't phase him. He actually seemed to enjoy it, and that irked me to no end.

"See you around, Sparrow."

Watching him leave, I let out a pent-up breath. The air felt like it thickened just by his presence, and now that he was gone, I could relax.

Oak's calls from above reassured me that she was there, revving me back in focus. Following her as my guide to the community tent so we could eat, I tried my best not to overthink what happened with my unwelcomed visitor, but encounters like that weren't easily forgotten. There was something about Cullen that I found unsettling, but the smug way he carried himself teased that there was more to him he wasn't sharing.

Either way, I was content with not finding out what it was if that meant I never had to see him again.

Stepping through the opening of the large tent, I saw that most of the tables were filled with people who'd gotten here before us.

Holding out my arm, I waited for Oak to land before continuing further in. She placed one of her wings over me, mimicking an arm wrapping around my shoulder, as I passed onlookers in the dimly lit space.

This wasn't my first time coming here, but each time I did, I wished it was my last. There were just too many curious eyes on me, and I was one who preferred to stay in the shadows. Keeping my head low, I grabbed one of the wooden bowls and held it out as the cook ladled in some kind of hot porridge.

"Thank you," I said lowly before turning to go, swiping up as spoon as I went. Walking down the middle aisle between the two long dining tables, I ignored the crude comments and whistles, ready for the solitude my tent promised.

I was so close, but he had to call out my name.

"Sparrow."

Stopping midstep, I turned my head in his direction, noticing the way he reclined in his seat. His muscular arms crossed over his chest as he looked at me, lifting his chin as a signal for me to come over. Oak's insistent prodding was the only reason my feet carried me toward him instead of out the tent, and I kept the uninterested frown on my face as I approached.

"Smile, darling," Avery said, leaning forward. "I'm about to make your day."

Puckering my lips impatiently, I snarked, "Is that so? And what makes you think that?"

The men sitting around were completely enthralled by our banter, and we'd only just begun.

Chuckling, Avery smiled, looking down at his clasped hands before back at me, causing the length of his deep blonde hair to fall in his face.

"I know you have questions about who you are," he began, his gaze never averting as he watched my reaction. My jaw quickly tightened, and that encouraged him to continue. "I had the same questions. Believe me, there's no answer to them."

"How is this supposed to make my day?" I questioned, furrowing my brows in confusion and irritation. If he called me over here to discourage, then I wasn't interested in letting him waste any more of my time.

"I'm getting there," he said, biting into a stale piece of bread. His chews were unnaturally slow, and I knew he was stalling as long as possible. 

Turning my attention to the other males around him, I relaxed my arm, letting Oak off so I could lean over and onto the table. Squinting my eyes, I stared down each one of them, settling my gaze on the one who looked to be the weakest of the group. 

"You," I stated, lifting my head in his direction. 

"Me?" he asked, pointing at himself. The young kid didn't look much older than sixteen. 

Nodding, I smiled fakely, noticing the way his cheeks reddened. "How do you stomach sitting next to such an ignorant jackas-"

"Okay, that's enough," Avery cut in, his expression hardened despite the entertained gleam in his eyes. "I called you over to tell you that training is pushed back until this evening."

Puzzled, I asked, "Why?"

"Because, despite knowing you'll only come back disappointed, Heath told me about his offer. This is the only chance I'll give you to see Mulligan for a while, because you won't have much time for anything else once conditioning begins."

Not sure of how to respond, I kept my mouth closed, cringing at the way Oak's admiration could be felt through the bond.

You realize he thinks he can control what we do, right?

She didn't seem to care, hopping closer to him.

"This is the part where you say, 'Thank you, Avery,'" he commented, smirking in expectation.

"Ha. The fact that you think I'd ever thank you...well, that's adorable," I condescended, earning me a few stifled laughs from the mindless men around him. Reveling at the way Avery clearly didn't like that, I turned to leave, waving confidently. "Bye, boys."

Once I was out of the tent, the crisp air nipped at my sensitve skin, but it was so refreshing. Shoveling a mouthful of the lukewarm food down my throat, I repeated the action until I'd eaten half of the portion. Placing the bowl on the ground, I turned to Oak, waiting for her.

Come on, girl. You have to eat.

Shaking her head, she tried talking me into finishing the meal, but I refused. Still, she pressed for me to eat more, arguing that she could always go hunting for her own meal.

Okay, okay, you've made your point. After this, we'll do it your way, but for now, please eat.

Assured of my sincerity, she fluttered over to the porridge, dipping her beak into it until there was nothing left. I watched proudly, as if she were my child, only looking away when I heard a familiar voice.

"No, Heath! I am not doing that!" 

A few meters ahead of me, Heath and Lydia were walking over, most likely headed to the community tent for breakfast. Lydia's smile was bright as she playfully pushed him away from her, but Heath laughed it off, seeming used to her ways. 

"You know you want to," he pressed, pulling her into his side, and despite the way she shook her head in annoyance, it was clear to me that she enjoyed his company.

Oak was able to pick up on that as well, giving me a knowing look as they got closer.

"Oh, good morning, Sparrow!" Lydia greeted.

"Let's hope so," I replied, allowing the corners of my mouth to lift when I met her gaze. Turning to Heath, I added, "And Heath. Just the man I was looking for."

"Well, lucky me," he grinned, flipping his loose brown curls from his face. 

I noticed the slight fall in Lydia's expression when he let go of her, and frowned internally at the way she bit her lip. Whatever was going on between them, I was not trying to get in the way of, but I needed him for today. 

"I'll go find us a spot to sit," she stated, awkwardly walking away and into the tent. 

"Do you need to go check on her?" I asked, seeing how Heath stared after Lydia even though she was already gone. 

"Who, Lyd?" he shrugged, scratching the back of his head. "No. Why would I?"

Sighing, I crossed my arms, focusing back on what was to gain here.

"No reason. So, are you free this morning? Because, I was hoping you'd be able to take me to see the lynk you mentioned yesterday."

"For you? Sure. Just let me grab something to eat and I'll meet you at the gate," he said, winking before jogging into the tent with a smile on his face.

As I watched him leave, Oak jumped onto my shoulder, cooing in excitement. Resting my head against hers, I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath.

Don't expect too much.

Even though I was telling her that, I knew I was really just warning myself. Expectations have almost always equaled disappointment for me, and I didn't want this to be that. I wanted this to be a breakthrough.

I needed it to be.

♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠     ♠

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading this far! I'm trying my best not to bore you with these beginning chapters😅. How am I doing?

So, what do you guys think of Cullen? What's up with him?

And any guesses on what Mulligan will be like? 🤷🏾

XOXO
G̶o̶s̶s̶i̶p̶G̶i̶r̶l̶
-Mac

*General Yates and Cullen have been added to the cast (May 14th, 2018)*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro