1 ¦ Courage

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

For four years, Adria and I have walked to St. Raphael's High School together with her sister, Brieanna. Every day we've had the same routine, but Adria's behavior has surprised me lately.

She's been giving me signals that I can no longer ignore. A coy smile while biting her lower lip. Gazing at me through long eyelashes as she tucks a stray tendril behind her ear. Linking her arm through mine as we stroll through the avenue of maples, the brilliant shades of autumn foliage illuminated by the sun.

You're not imagining this, Valerie. She likes you, too.

It's amazing Brieanna hasn't suspected anything. Maybe she wants to protect us by pretending not to notice. In this country, we can't love whomever we want.

The American Purist Party has made sure of that.

If anyone makes a move, it's going to be me. Adria's too shy and obeys every rule as though it's God's law. If I wait for her to confront me, I'll live alone.

It's not my natural inclination to take the initiative, but she's worth it. 

Today I'm going to tell her.

I'll woman up, act normally, and say four perfectly acceptable words. They'll be ambiguous enough to have multiple meanings but direct enough to elicit a reaction.

Adria, I like you.

Mustering my courage, I sling my backpack over a shoulder and readjust my Catholic school uniform, puffing out the shirt so that I don't look too severe. Taking one final look in the foyer mirror, I try in vain to flatten my fiery hair and pinch my cheeks to make them look less pale.

Damn Irish genes. I'd give anything for her features.

There's a gentle rap on the door.

It's her.

___

A/N: Thanks so much for reading my first ever short story, "Starting Afresh". It's a little under 3,000 words in total and has been written for the Wattpad Valentine's Day Contest.

If you've enjoyed the story, it would mean so much to me if you voted, commented, added it to your lists, and shared it with your friends.

Word count: 288 Total word count: 288

This story is dedicated to MayTijssen for her lovely cover. Thank you so much! ♥

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro