4 ¦ Reunion

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Five years later, I stare at the roster of my graduate class, and my heart leaps into my throat. There stands a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Adria Williams

We haven't chatted, texted, or so much as exchanged likes on Twitter, but I've never forgotten her. All that time, the woman has plagued my dreams and my nightmares. In the dark, seedy undergraduate nightclubs, no woman has ever rivaled her beauty, charm, or brains.

I've resorted to dating men, casually, as a cover for what I really am. It's safer that way, especially since I can't help but compare every woman I meet to Adria and find them wanting.

Now here she is, studying for her master's in Engineering at MIT with me.

What will she say? What should I say?

I swear I've turned into a teenager again. My heart is pounding against my ribs, aching to break free. Inexplicably, I find myself hating her and wanting her in equal measure.

As soon as I enter the room, my eyes fall upon Adria.

God help me--she's as beautiful as ever.

Her ebony curls sweep across her prominent collarbone as she faces me, and I stop dead in my tracks like a wild animal before a racing car. She quirks an eyebrow like Spock on Star Trek, and I swear I can forgive her right there if only she can give me a rational explanation.

I can't help myself. I sit next to her.

"Hello," says the silky voice that has haunted me all these years.

"Hello, Adria."

This time she raises both eyebrows in a show of genuine shock. "How do you know my name?"

My eyes widen. "Are you serious?" My anger rises with every word as I chastise her in a muted whisper. "We walked to school every day for four years. We were best friends before you shrugged me off without a word of warning."

"But...I've never seen you before."

I should be angry. I should leave in a huff, but one thing prevents me: her genuine confusion--as though she's lost every memory of me. I understand Adria well enough to know she can't lie.

"Are you serious?" I whisper. "You don't remember me? At all?"

"No, I don't know you."

In a sudden rush, it hits me. Something's damaged her memory. Adria must be sick or injured, and that's why she's ignored me so easily.

"Adria, you and I were very close in high school. Maybe we can talk about it over dinner?" She gives me a skeptical look, as though she's trying to determine if I'm coming on to her or if I'm just a weird psycho. "Just as friends."

She considers my words in silence as the other students start filing into the classroom. "I suppose there's no harm in that. I could use some friends."

After class is over, we both head towards the dorm. To my surprise, I realize we live in the same building, on the same floor, right next door to each other.

We're neighbors again after all these years.

"Just come through the adjoining bathroom when you're ready," she says.

When Adria enters her room, I gape at her roommate. It's Brieanna of all people. She gives me a fierce glare before the door shuts.

This has to be the most surreal moment of my life.

___

A/N: Thanks so much for reading. ♥ If you've enjoyed the story, it would mean so much to me if you voted, commented, added it to your lists, and shared it with your friends.

Word count: 562 Total word count: 1,805

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro