15~~ Defense

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A/N: Thank you to all the readers who sent out links for the first two episodes of season 2! I have more inspiration to write now than ever. This dance scene killed me🙈 The Adrienette ship is sailing!

~|~|~|~

Alya Césaire could not bare to see her best friend with a look of absolute sorrow on her face. After Marinette had said her goodbyes to Prince Adrien, Alya watched as the poor princess walked into the castle with a single tear streaming down the crevice of her cheek.

Alya asked if she needed anything. Nursemaid or not, Alya would do anything to see another smile on her best friend's face again. Marinette shook her head, closed her eyes and slowly started to inhale and exhale deep breaths of control. She wiped the tear from her face gracefully and then stared at Alya with a sad smile.

"I do not need anything, Alya," Marinette replied, clearing her voice, "Thank you, but I will be alright."

"Are you sure you don't just want to talk about this, Marinette?" Alya asked, concerned, "I do not enjoy seeing you in this much pain."

"Pain?" Marinette asked, pretending to act surprised, "Don't be silly! What is there to feel unfortunate about? My people shall be saved soon and now so will Adrien's sister. I have a fiancé who loves me and my father will be proud of me. What more could I possibly want?"

Alya was trying her best to pull herself together. She could see the lies upon the eyes of the princess, buried in the blue of her irises and tears that depict the sorrow she was feeling inside. A confident and strong warrior now reduced to a trapped bird in a cage of selflessness.

The nursemaid could no longer take it— she began to cry for Marinette in both worry and guilty. Worry because she hated when the princess had to risk her own happiness for others even though she deserved it much more than anyone recieving it. And guilt because Alya had realized that she had not been a great friend at all.

While Marinette was busy falling in love with the Prince, getting her heart broken and being forced to marry another man, Alya had not been there. She had been having her own grand time with the Prince's Advisor, Nino Lahiffe, completely forgetting about her best friend. But now Nino was gone as well and Alya was not sure what to say or do anymore to make things right.

"There is no need to cry, Alya," Marinette assured, holding her by the arms, "What is the matter?"

"You don't deserve this," Alya cried, "Why do the worst things happen to the best people?"

"Why do the best things happen to the worst people?"

"How can you endure such madness?" Alya asked, not having any answer, "You are a soldier, a woman of worth!"

"If I do go through with this," Marinette said, "would that not make me more of a soldier? And what 'woman of worth' would I be if I refuse this marriage out of selfishness?"

Once again, Alya had no answer. Instead, she endured the benevolent arms of the one person she truly cared for and cried until all the value of her tears were wasted away on the tiled floor of her best friend's cage.

~|~|~|~

Four nights later, Emma woke up to see Adrien flipping through pages of a book in wonder. He was sitting in a wooden chair, meters away from her. It must of been his chance to watch over her.

Emma sat up in bed, feeling a wave of nausea in her stomach. She began to cough and Adrien immediately shot up to his feet to reach her. To their utter horror, Emma started to heave.

Adrien gripped her hand in his own, grabbing a vase from a nearby desk with the other. Emma held onto the vase, slowly taking the beautiful flowers— were those primroses?— out of it. She handed the roses to her brother, holding her head above the bronze pot cautiously. Adrien could feel his palm digging into the thorns as he watched his sister vomit and dry-heave.

When he saw her coughing out blood, that's when he knew. He could no longer take it. Adrien gently placed the roses on the desk, turning to the door.

"I'll be back in a moment, Emma," he assured, back to her, "there are handkerchiefs in the drawer. I'll get some water for you."

Adrien rushed out of the room, scowl upon his face. He did not know the reason for why he was angry, but seeing his sister in such a weak state made him furious with his kingdom. Out of the thousands of people in his country, not a single one of them could explain to him what was wrong with his sister.

Maybe he could not find a suitable doctor as the Prince— because some of the citizens still did not trust the upper class— but Adrien knew who people would listen to.

He turned the corner into his own room and took out his ring from the black box that was waiting for him in his cupboard. Plagg appeared in front of him with a look of irritation. Adrien felt no speck of guilt for not using his Miraculous.

"Need me so suddenly?" Plagg asked, folding his arms, "Or did you leave me in that box for the past couple of days just to irritate me?"

"Both," Adrien replied in nonchalance, "Emma is feeling worse each day. I'm going to persuade my people to tell me where to find a doctor or herbalist to help her—"

"I know someone you can go to," Plagg interrupted.

The prince paused for a moment, waiting for an explanation. The cat Kwami continued, "I shall tell you on one condition."

Adrien rolled his eyes at Plagg's childishness. Honestly, he had so many problems to deal with. Now he had to be equally responsible for his Kwami who was supposed to help him save others without wanting anything in return.

"On the condition that I get you a healer," Plagg bargained, "you have to stop neglecting your Chat Noir duties."

The prince could not promise that entirely. He could not risk his strength when Emma needed him most. He was too tired to even continue exercising each morning. And, besides... he no longer had Marinette to give him strength whenever he touched her. Before he could reply, Plagg held up a hand.

"On second thought," the Kwami said, "I want you to go back to the Dupain Kingdom."

Adrien spun around as fast as lightning, shock in his eyes. Wait, Plagg wanted him to go back to Dupain Kingdom? Did he want to be farther away from the Agreste Kingdom? Plagg added, "Once Emma is healed, you will go back to Gollieb country and tell Marinette how you truly feel."

"Why do you want me to confess all of a sudden?" Adrien asked, rubbing his head out of confusion.

"The closer you are with her, the more you use me."

It then made sense to him why Plagg wanted to be in the Dupain Kingdom. If Adrien was closer to Marinette, he would gain more strength, giving him much more of a reason to use the Miraculous. Adrien could tell that the kwami wanted his freedom from the ancient box and he could not blame him.

"What do I say to her?" Adrien sighed, thinking about the arranged marriage.

"You know exactly what to say."

The kwami spoke truth. Adrien did know exactly what to say. There was no time to lose— the prince asked immediately, "Who is this doctor?"

"Many people refer to him as the 'Healer'," Plagg replied, "but we Kwami's call him 'Master Fu'."

~|~|~|~

"I truly hope that Adrien's sister gets better soon," Prince Nathaniel said to Marinette, hand upon her shoulder.

They were in the garden once again, having a friendly conversation on one of the wooden benches. Marinette told Nathaniel why Adrien had to leave so soon because she had no reason to keep any unnecessary secrets from him now that he was her fiancé. Of course, her Miraculous did not count.

"I hope she gets better soon too," Marinette sighed, "It's terrible! The amount of money they charge just for a child to be cured from a horrid sickness."

"You must understand that Emma Agreste is not just a child, Marinette," Nathaniel acknowledged, "She's royalty. We receive charges so much greater than the citizens who are ruled over by us."

Marinette winced at the way Nathaniel spoke about his people. Citizens 'ruled over by us'— she had never heard that phrase of leadership before. It sounded a bit selfish, in a way, as if his people were all under his control.

"Marinette?" Nathaniel asked.

The princess stared at him in concentration, "Mmhm?"

"Are you feeling alright?"

Marinette turned her attention to a bush of magnificent, primrose flowers. She had sent a bouquet of primrose to the Agreste Kingdom a few days earlier, along with a bronze vase that was once given to her as a present from her friend, Princess Rose Lavillant many years ago.

Marinette was not sure if the Agreste family knew about her gift, but she somehow knew that Emma would like them. It was Marinette's favourite kind of flower, signifying love, peace and innocence.

"I take that you will not be refusing my proposal from now on."

The princess did not reply for a long minute, continuously staring at the primroses in thought. She had to announce her final decision to Nathaniel in order for the wedding to be official. Adrien's departure had already been one of the reasons leading to the agreement. She just needed one last reason to push her over the edge into Nathaniel's arms forever.

Nathaniel reached out to her neck and touched the strand of hair right before her ear. Marinette flinched a bit at the contact, still not looking at him. This felt wrong, uncomfortable. She would have felt shivers up her spine if it were Adrien, butterflies would have bombarded her stomach. Nathaniel, however, gave her shivers of displeasure.

"I pray you give me a chance," Nathaniel sighed, tucking the dark strand of hair behind her ear, "I know that I am not as great as Adrien, but I have a heart that will give you anything you want or need if ever you ask for it."

There was a time I would have given you the world if ever you asked for it. Adrien's words resonated through her memories, triggered by the words of a man she did not love. But she had to try. She had to try giving him a chance. What other choice did she have?

"You are right, Nathaniel," Marinette said, facing him with a guilty smile, "You are a good person and I should not have pushed you away like that, especially since you are willing to do anything to make me happy."

Nathaniel looked down when her eyes stared into his own, a blush coming to his cheeks. He sometimes could not register how beautiful the princess was and how lucky he had become to have the opportunity for her to speak to him in the manner that she was doing now.

"You honestly deserve so much better than me, Nathaniel," Marinette admitted, hovering her hand above his.

"If that is true then you are saying that I deserve the impossible," Nathaniel retaliated.

Marinette smiled at his kind words and continued, "Someone as equally impossible as you, of course."

Nathaniel turned his hand palm-up to clasp Marinette's hand in his own. He felt friction course through his veins where Marinette could only feel guilt. She thought back to the night when she confessed her love to Adrien— the night they had made love. The night everything changed, but just came crashing down on her all over again.

"The truth..." she said, mentally testing the right words to say to her future husband, "is that I want to love you."

Nathaniel's grip tightened around her fist in excitement before he asked, "Really?"

The princess honestly did. She wanted the pain of losing Adrien to be amended by another. She wanted to love Nathaniel enough so that she would not have to worry about the prince of the Agreste Kingdom and how he was not able to be with her.

"I want you to love me too, Marinette," Nathaniel said, "I want you to smile every time you see me and I want you to feel loved, but I mainly want you to realize that I would do literally anything for you to love me back."

Marinette nodded understandingly. If anyone was being selfish and ignorant between the two of them, it was definitely her. She let go of Nathaniel's hand slowly before holding both her hands together in one large fist.

"What do you say to that, Marinette?" Nathaniel asked.

As if saved by the bell, Marinette noticed Le Chién Kim waiting for them outside the entrance. He seemed a bit frantic. Holding Nathaniel's question at bay, Marinette asked him, "What is the matter, Soldier?"

Kim stared at Nathaniel with warning in his eyes. The red-haired prince raised his brow in question, standing up from the wooden bench. When Kim looked worried, Nathaniel knew that he was in trouble.

"What is the matter, Le Chién?" The prince asked, emphasizing his name.

Kim looked at Marinette and announced, "Prince Adrien is on his way back to the Dupain Kingdom."

~|~|~|~

Nino Lahiffe climbed into the carriage before grinning wide at Adrien who seemed more agitated than usual. The advisor could not wait to see Alya again— he imagined the look on her face when he would run into her arms and kiss her mercilessly. Adrien, on the other hand, only imagined Marinette in a white wedding dress, standing in front of a man she did not love.

"What are you holding, Your Highness?" Nino asked, pointing to the two books in his hands.

Adrien raised the cover of the poem book for his adviser to see and explained, "Princess Marinette gave these to me as a parting gift. A poem book about love and another book that she had made by herself."

"May I take a look?"

Adrien handed the poem book hesitantly to Nino but held the second book tighter in his grip. She had classified it as a piece of her world and Adrien was not going to allow that to be taken away from him again.

The cover showed the map of Paris and inside the book held pictures of her designs and artistic sketches, especially those of accessories and beautiful drawings of clothing. Adrien did not expect Marinette to be an artist in fashion. She had not mentioned that as an option as to what she were to become if not a princess.

Maybe she was embarrassed of the thought of becoming a designer compared to the warrior she was now, but Adrien saw each curve and shade of her drawings and just fell in love with her all over again.

"This is a great poem book, Your Highness," Nino said, handing it back to Adrien, "I've actually received another book from the Dupain Kingdom myself."

Adrien did not really care about what Nino had recieved, but he asked anyway, "What is the book called?"

"Well, as someone who enjoys learning about the different cultures and rules of each country around the world," Nino replied in a somewhat bragging manner, "I was given a book from a beautiful nursemaid about the General Obligations and Laws of the Dupain Kingdom."

Adrien froze and widened his eyes at his advisor, reminding himself of the time he first had a friendly conversation with Marinette.

Adrien had scoffed, "You have a complete book of your Kingdom's rules and laws?"

"You do not?"

"Every Agreste citizen is to know all the obligations of the country by the age of thirteen," Adrien had explained, "off by heart, without a book. We're brought up that way."

The prince turned to ask his adviser where the book was now. Nino told him that it was in one of the suitcases upon the carriage. Adrien turned around and called out to the chauffeur, "Stop the carriage."

Their ride stopped abruptly and all the soldiers hesitated, wondering if anything was wrong. They had not even made it past their own gates yet. Adrien ordered Nino to get the Obligation book from his suitcase.

Nino sighed and jumped out of the carriage in an irritated manner. If anyone else had showed him that sort of attitude, they would be sent to the dungeons. Nino returned with the book a moment later, handing it to Adrien.

The prince ordered the carriage to move again before opening up the large book. He had a few hours to read through it to get the answer he needed. He did not know where to start, until his advisor helped him.

"Page two hundred and forty-seven," Nino told him as he stared out the window, "Section twenty-three: Marriage."

~|~|~|~

Nathaniel waited near the entrance until the carriages and Agreste soldiers made its way inside the Dupain Kingdom. Marinette was busy talking to her father so she would not be able to greet Adrien Agreste immediately. However, Nathaniel insisted on being the person to kindly welcome the prince back.

Once the main carriage stopped in front of the stairs leading to the entrance, Prince Adrien stepped out, staring up at him with something related to hate in his eyes. Nathaniel smiled— now that was the reaction he wanted.

"Adrien," Nathaniel exclaimed, "it's so good to see you again!"

The soldier made his way up the stairs, his advisor and guards following him. Adrien was holding a book to his chest— strange, Nathaniel had never taken him for a reader. Prince Adrien dismissed his guards, ordering them all to do as they pleased. Some were even willing to take his suitcases in.

"Nathaniel!" Adrien replied in the kindest voice he could muster, "The same goes for you! May I talk to you in private? I have such news to tell you about."

His soldiers could recognize the sarcasm in his voice immediately. Some had to keep themselves from laughing, especially Nino who was standing right beside Adrien. Le Chién Kim did not like the sound of the strongest leader in the whole of Paris talking to his prince in private so he made a move to stand in front Nathaniel.

Embarrassed, Nathaniel pushed Kim aside, walking towards Adrien with the same sarcastic friendliness, "Of course. I would love to hear what you have got to say. I was concerned for your sister. How is she by the way?"

"Cured."

The corner of Nathaniel's smile twitched and it was that moment when they had both realized how much Nathaniel had relied upon Emma's sickness in order for his proposal to be accepted from the person they both love. One flaw in Adrien's life would have given Nathaniel the upper hand, an advantage to this battle. Now it was Adrien's chance to get the upper hand because Emma was cured.

With that word spoken, resonating through the space between them, Adrien walked through the entrance and waited, "Well, are you coming?"

Nino figured that Adrien was not talking to him so he stepped back to allow Nathaniel to follow. The red-haired prince obliged, walking beside his enemy into a castle they were both fighting for.

"Don't," was the first word Adrien had said when they were out of hearing shot, walking alone towards the grand hall.

Nathaniel glared at Adrien and hissed in a whisper so that nobody could overhear, "Excuse me?"

"Do not pretend to be friendly with me anymore," Adrien elaborated, stopping in his tracks to face him straight-on, "I'm tired of lies and I believe we should be honest with each other."

Nathaniel folded his arms, trying his best to keep himself from shouting. He was standing in front of one of the strongest young leaders of all time, yet he felt no fear. The only fear Nathaniel had was losing a wife as amazing as Marinette and he was not prepared to let that go.

"I do not enjoy your presence," Adrien admitted.

"Likewise," Nathaniel agreed, nonchalant.

"You should not be here," Adrien spat, "You had not fought alongside her in battle. You don't know the person she truly is."

"I will soon. I asked for her hand in marriage."

"So did I."

Nathaniel's blood ran cold. He gaped at Adrien in shock and fear punctured his heart like a dagger through a dry wound. Adrien asked for Marinette's hand in marriage? No, no that could not be! How had Adrien done it? Through a letter? That was how he had done it so it would make no difference if Adrien decided to do the same.

"Well, not yet anyway," Adrien added.

Just as quickly as stopped breathing, Nathaniel let out a sigh of relief at those words. How foolish was he to believe that Adrien had proposed already? He had not been told about another marriage proposal— and how could Adrien say that he had not asked her yet?

"But I will," the blonde Prince continued, "In front of a room full of important people who will stop preparing your wedding the second I tell them how I feel about Marinette."

"You're going to propose at a meeting?" Nathaniel scoffed, "Preposterous! I asked for her hand first, therefore your proposal means nothing!"

"Is it preposterous?" Adrien asked, holding a hand to cup his chin, "Because if I'm not mistaken, if another man asks for the hand of a specific woman after she had already been asked, it is the father's decision to choose whether the first man's proposal is accepted."

"Where on earth did you hear that?"

"Read, actually. In here."

The cover of the book that Adrien had been holding the entire time stared up at him, taunting him with the last words Nathaniel ever thought he would be defeated by: The General Obligations and Laws of the Dupain Kingdom.

"Section twenty-three, Chapter eleven, verse two," Adrien said, "'If the father cannot make a final decision, the two men would be forced to fight for the woman's hand... To the death'."

"You wouldn't."

"For her. I most delightfully would."

Nathaniel's shoulders slumped forward in defeat. He should have said that he did not care about the book. He should have told Adrien that he would rather lose his life than live one without Marinette as his bride. But Adrien knew he was a coward. So it came as no surprise when Nathaniel asked, "What do you want from me?"

"I want you to revoke the marriage," Adrien answered, "Leave this kingdom and never speak to Marinette again."

"You would not treat her the way I would," Nathaniel spat, "You're known for being a terrible person! Marinette would never love you the way she loves me."

Anger was all Adrien could feel. He gripped the book in his hands, imagining all the different ways in which to kill this opponent— he could slam the thick book hard onto his head (a quick death, no doubt) or he could be merciless and use his sword... No. He would kill him with words, the most painful way he could.

"You know what?" Adrien said with a smile, "It's a shame you will never have a chance with Marinette. She's a feisty one in bed."

And with that, Adrien turned around and walked away, leaving Nathaniel alone to be completed and utterly shattered.

~|~|~|~

A/N: I enjoyed writing the Adrien vs Nathaniel scene. Man, I had witty comebacks building up in me. I'm going to continue doing some le time skips because this book only has seven chapters left before it's done😁 time flies so fast!

16~~ Marriage

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro