3.2 Offloading

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Xacks left Dana alone in the cockpit to watch over the planet as she mourned, while he took Scott's body to the cargo hold. He had seen enough friends come and go, not be overly affected by the passing of yet another one. Unburdened by remorse or regret, he wrapped the corpse in sheet plastic and lay it in an empty crate before sealing the lid. His brain was still a little fuzzy from his recent stint with pure Crarab juice. It had been the ships movement that had drawn him out if the high and now his mind kept going back to Zero's control of his ship. A genetic retention alteration, secured his memories in case of brain irregularities, and he definitely had a few of those over the last couple of weeks. Xacks's last solid memory was of Zero and the child like mind taking control of the ship.

On the way back to the control room he was pleased to see ClickClack, who had already started to clean up the blood drips. She was the only coherent thing he did remember from his bender and he greeted her kindly, taking a moment to thank her for her services. True the bitch had nearly poisoned him but that was all his own fault and without her he wouldn't be in the shape he was now, which was pretty good he thought, flexing as though waking from a long sleep. He didn't know why Zero would want to come here, but now they were here, Xacks planned to make the most of it. Speaking slowly he told the Crarab to stop cleaning and to prepare bile, with shit that strong he would be crazy not to offload some.

"Zero." Xacks spoke upon returning to the cockpit. "Why are we here?"

"Createnark is the most diverse planet in the known universe, is it not?" Zero answered Xacks's question with his own.

"If you consider the known universe as everything on my private drives, then yes." Xacks sneered.

"From here I hope to acquire my hardware and expand upon my knowledge base." Zero continued.

"Well it is a melting pot of fucking culture." Xacks had to agree, he couldn't have chosen a better place to pick up more hardware and the range of intelligent species here was more dense than anywhere else the Thoracian knew of. "Hold a stable orbit until I'm ready to take over and fly us in." He ordered the artificial intelligence.

Dana say quietly in the co pilot seat, listening to the exchange while watching the planet transfixed.

"I've laid Scott to rest in a crate in the hold." He laid a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"What are we going to do with him now?" Dana asked.

"Well, we could sell his body. It would be of interest to plenty of groups here." Xacks kept his tone low.

"I'm not okay with that!" Dana spoke forcefully.

"You're a smart girl. You know he is gone and that all that's left is a shell." Xacks pointed out. "If I curl up, you can sell my carcass."

"I'm not ok with that either." She touched his hand tenderly.

"When you're ready I want to take you out for a bit.". Xacks offered with a smile. "Get you away from here for a bit and take your mind off things."

"I would like that." Dana said giving his hand a squeeze.

To Xacks's surprise, Zero let him pilot the ship into the planet surface, seeming to withdraw into his own world of digital information. As an unexpected guest of the mega city with no formal connections, Xacks picked a vacant public lot nestled between a series of overpasses, to put the bitch down. The area looked to be low social economic, run down structures were abundant and many old tech vehicles left abandoned in the street.

"You will need this." Xacks handed Dana a breather as they disembarked into the street. "The oxygen will be a little low and we will be walking a bit."

"It's not that different to an earth city." Dana remarked before inserting the breather.

"Yeah well you know there is a limited number of shapes that things can be and blocks stack." He replied before starting to walk towards what looked to be high rises.

The skyscrapers were indeed just that, as they walked between the buildings Dana felt oddly at peace, as if the familiarity had some kind of soothing effect. It was short lived however when they entered the structure. Inside was vastly different, opening out into multiple levels, it was a sight. The occupants were a miss match of culture, each one vying for a place. Different languages babbled from all directions as conversations overflowed into the public space as people went about their day to day activities.

Xacks stopped for a minute to let Dana take in the surrounds, watching her eyes roam around the space stopping here and there to study aliens en-masse. He doubted she realized what a huge honour it was to be here, even a place such as Createnark was well above her standing, humans still not having the tech to reach such a far off destination, automatically excluded them.

"She looks human." Dana motioned to a green skinned red head, lounging on a weird shaped stool at the bar, watching a humanoid mech writhe before an artistic backdrop.

"Humanoid is not as rare as you think." Xacks scoffed at her arrogance. "The shape has a lot of advantages, even my race have engineered a form of it for ourselves. Look at me."

"I just didn't expect it all to be so familiar." Dana replied slightly hurt.

"Yeah well its a big place out here." Xacks softened his tone. "One day I'll take you to a bacteria planet so you can see the real scum of the universe."

Taking a seat with several perches as well as multiple platforms he Motioned for Dana to sit, before nodding across the way at another large Thoracian who had been watching them since their arrival. A sudden rush exhilarated Xacks as he scanned the room, this feeling of chance was as good as any drug, maybe with the exception of the bile he had tucked into his armour.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro