{14.} Flour Power

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Flour Power

- not yet edited -

The sheer curtains gave the sun's rays a glittering filter as they brightened the room and warmed Tori's face. She had been awake for some time, her body cemented to the memory foam mattress.

A look over her shoulder proved that Chantal was still sleeping - as if her wheezing wasn't enough - and an inspection of the alarm clock on the nightstand showed 7:12 A.M.

Tori willed her body to move, to slide out of this peaceful embrace and shower, but she remained immobile. Her body felt heavier than a sack of flour as she laid staring at the wall.

Well, at least I tried.

She reveled in the pillow top comforter and nuzzled her head deeper into a soft pillow.

Could the network actually fire her for being a little late? Tori didn't know the answer, but she knew that Victoria wouldn't be happy. Somehow, Tori was more afraid of the network's assistant than she was of the big-wig network executives.

Sure, the executives controlled her contract and pay, but Victoria's drill Sargent-like attitude made Tori feel as if she was a child again; fearful of someone bigger and meaner.

Tori thought back to the morning Victoria yelled over Carson's shoulder for not brushing his teeth fast enough, her Colombian accent mixing with a harsh tone. He didn't take offense to Victoria's strict motivation. Instead, he laughed it off and woke early the next morning.

That day seemed like forever ago. She found it difficult to remember Carson's sandy hair and toothy smile. His features were beginning to blur in her memory. She didn't know if it was Westley or Carson that had a freckle on their nose. Was it Carson or Wesley that liked eggs for breakfast? She couldn't remember.

As time passed, she would forget every one of her competitors one-by-one.

She tried to count the days, listing off every challenge with a count of her fingers.

With four fingers up, she realized that she had no idea how long it had been. It didn't help that she was so reliant on her cell phone. Without it, Tori didn't know the actual date of each day.

Is it Tuesday? Or maybe it's Wednesday.

Sure, she could turn on the downstairs television and watch a few minutes of the news channel. The date would be on screen like always, but Tori would rather douse herself in flour than spend any time watching the news. There was something eerie about watching its anchors smile through another heartbreaking story or local tragedy. Whether it was a cat getting stuck in a tree or a violent crime, Tori thought it was all too negative and a horrible way to start the day.

She had too many issues in her own life to be worried about every story on the news. For instance, she didn't know what was on the schedule for the day.

There were days that she filmed a challenge, and other days she filmed two. Then there were the confessions, which took place every evening without fail. Even when everyone got back to the house at midnight, their bodies sore, mouths unable to speak, and their brains barely able to function, Victoria would insist on getting a confessional out of everyone.

Something was always happening.

When filming and confessionals were finally finished, Victoria met everyone in the living room to discuss the next day's schedule. All the details were outlined on a dry erase board in Victoria's sloppy handwriting.

On a typical day, departure for the studio was at seven thirty sharp. Then there was an hour for breakfast in the dressing room. Depending on the day, one or two challenges would take place. A mid-day break for lunch back in the dressing room followed for an hour. Not a minute more.

The second challenge would come next. Just when the day seemed to be over, Victoria would herd them through the halls of the studio to the parking lot where Tori would join her driver (whom she learned has a name; it's William) for a ride back to the house where confessionals and the end-of-day meeting would commence. 

Except for last night. Tori couldn't remember the meeting or seeing Victoria at all.

She trudged up the staircase immediately after arriving at the house, not even bothering to wait for Chantal, and threw herself into bed.

Now, looking down at her Nike shorts and tank top, Tori didn't know how she changed out of her apron. She must have been that exhausted.

If there was a meeting downstairs then she missed it. The fact that Victoria wasn't here now, banging on the door and hollering about the schedule must mean that Tori missed something.

She let out a groan and sat up, running her fingers through her sleep-tousled hair. She would fix it later. Right now, she craved coffee and was curious about what was written on the board for today.

Sliding out of bed and into a pair of slippers, she found her robe on the back of the only chair in the room. She wrapped it around herself and pulled the strings tightly against her waist. Careful not to wake Chantal, she scurried quietly to the door and closed the latch as slowly as she could.

Her slippers glide along the wood steps of the staircase, her hands gripping the rails to keep her balance. As she neared the last step, she saw movement in the kitchen.

"Victoria?" she said, gripping the collar of her robe tightly to her chest and rounding the corner into the living room. "I'm sorry that I missed last night's meeting about the schedule. Did I wake up late?"

Tori expected to see Victoria as she entered the kitchen. She rubbed her eyes to clear the illusion of the figure standing at the fridge, which clearly wasn't a petite Latina woman with long, straight hair. The back of the man's t-shirt read LOS ANGELES DODGERS. For some reason, this stuck out to Tori in her confused, sleepy state.

"Where is Victoria?"

The man turned and greeted Tori with a smile. "You're the first one awake," Caiden said, a can of Dr. Pepper in one hand and a banana in the other. "good morning."

Caiden kicked the door of the fridge closed with a heel and laid his breakfast on the island. Then, he pulled a knife from a wooden block as if he was in his own kitchen, and not standing in front of Tori in the Baking Network's rented house.

"What are you doing here?" Tori asked in a whisper, as if his presence was to be kept a secret. She pulled her robe even tighter around herself.

"What does it look like I'm doing? Breakfast," he held up the banana as he bent back the peel. "what are you doing?"

Tori's brows lowered at the question. "I was looking for Vict - That's not the point. I'm asking you what you're doing here."

"Look, I'd prefer not to play this childish game of 'I asked you first', but I'm here on business." Caiden said cheerfully as he started cutting his banana into slices. "I have some news when everyone wakes up."

Rather than argue or ask one of the several questions she had on her mind, Tori took a seat at the table and admired the view outside the window.

"So," Caiden began, his eyes cast down as he sliced through the banana. "How are you getting along with your housemates?"

Tori felt a groan escape her lips. "There always has to be a bitchy one, huh?" she said.

Caiden grinned as he gathered the bits of banana and plopped them into a bowl of oatmeal. "Blame the viewers, not me." He added a handful of chocolate chips to his breakfast. "It's great for ratings."

She figured as much. It was the same reason why women tune in every week to watch The Bachelor. The drama unfolding in the house was inescapable, and Chantal craved those episodes with a cat-fight or drunken argument.

Caiden joined her at the table and dug a spoon into his oatmeal, its steam rising and blurring the vibrancy of his green eyes. "I take it that you're not getting along with someone?" he asked before taking a bite.

"I wouldn't say it like that," Tori said and thought for a moment. She tapped her fingers on the table, trying to form the right words. "It's just really annoying."

He nodded as if he understood. Tori guessed he had been living it up in a hotel room this whole time. Caiden didn't need to worry about sharing a space with anyone and especially not with a soul-sucking woman like Sienna to ruin all his fun.

"Look at it this way," Caiden said through a mouth full of oatmeal. "There's an elimination every couple days. It might only be a matter of weeks before they're gone."

Tori laughed at his blunt answer, her giggles escaping despite the hand in front of mouth. She couldn't remember the last time she giggled, or why she was doing it now. Maybe it was his eyes staring into hers or the fact that she was feeling anxiety-free this morning.

Soon, Tori's roommates joined her at the kitchen table. Caiden stood at his spot in front of the island, his half-eaten bowl of banana and chocolate chip oatmeal behind him, and clapped his hands together to get the attention of August, who's head was resting on his arm and looked as if he'd fallen back asleep.

"Victoria couldn't make it today." Caiden began, a sympathetic look on his smooth face. Tori noticed he had shaved since the last time she saw him. Lauren let out an awe at the news. Caiden continued, "Her son is home sick so we'll just have to get through the day without her."

There were looks shared from across the table. Tori's eyes met Chantal's, whose eyes met Lauren's. From the look on their faces, Tori knew that they were thinking the same thing.

So what happens now?

Lauren's hand shot into the air, her arm ramrod straight. She looked like a little girl in her low ponytail and floral pajamas. When Caiden nodded his head as permission for her to speak, Lauren asked, "Are we going to the studio today?"

"I spoke to my boss and we've come to a compromise." Caiden's body relaxed as he shoved his hands into his pockets. Tori couldn't help but notice the sliver of skin exposed beneath the hem of his shirt as his jeans were pulled down by the weight of his hands. "In exchange for a day off, you will be shooting two challenges tomorrow."

August's head perked up. "We get the day off?" he asked with childlike excitement and as if he'd just been told that he's getting a brand new Xbox for Christmas.

"That's right."

There was something nagging at the back of Tori's mind. She felt like there must be more and that the network couldn't be paying them for an unforeseen day off like this. There had to be a catch. Tori just couldn't figure it out yet.

Although Lucas had spent most of his childhood playing basketball, and Tori was dragged to every one of his games, she still didn't understand the rules of the game. Her eyes followed the men on screen as they ran from one end of the court to the other. 

As Ryan shouted and fist bumped the air, Tori wondered what was so significant about what just happened. The television showed footage of the crowd and their electrified expressions, then panned to the players on the court, their faces drenched in sweat.

It must smell like a pig pen in there.

Tori knew the smell of adrenaline and sweat well. She remembered the stench of her brother's clothes after a game and the yellow tint of his socks. Just the thought of it made her queasy.

"I can't believe it!" August slammed his body into the back of the sofa like a child throwing a tantrum.

"There's no way out of this, dude. You owe me ten bucks. Pay up." Ryan said, and held out a hand.

Lauren rolled her eyes as August pulled out his wallet and gave Ryan a crisp bill. "Why don't men listen? I could have told you this play would happen twenty minutes ago." she said.

"Because I'm pretty sure men have evolved to be stupider and stupider." Chantal said with a grin. "It's basic science, you know. Without the thrill of the hunt, they rely on tiny gambling wins to boost their ego."

They snickered and clinked their wine glasses together before sharing a sip. The scene looked fresh out of an episode of Sex in the City.

Lauren and Chantal had gotten even closer in the past few days. It was obvious to everyone in the house. Even Iona made a comment about their closeness. "Those two are like long lost sisters." she said one evening to Tori.

And she wasn't wrong.

Tori had to admit that she felt a little threatened by their blossoming friendship at first. Nobody could know Chantal the way that Tori did. Eleven years can't be replicated in a week.

Still, Tori couldn't deny the chemistry between Lauren and Chantal. Those two had so much in common and even showed a lot of the same manuisms and habits.

As Tori looked at them, sitting together on the sofa, she could see the squint in Chantal's eyes as she laughed, and she realized that it was nice to see her friend laugh so hard. Without realizing, Tori was smiling.

"What are you up to?" Ryan asked.

Tori snapped out of her own thoughts and noticed that Sienna was crossing the living room in a towel.

"Getting ready." Sienna grumbled as she brushed her teeth.

"Where are you going?"

Sienna sighed and the scrubbing stopped. "I'm going clubbing tonight." She cocked her head and gave Ryan a look like DUH!

"Clubbing? That sounds like fun! I haven't been to a club in so long." Lauren said, her excitement evident in her tone.

Tori almost laughed. Given Lauren's hoop earrings and the fact that she started drinking wine before noon gave Tori the impression that clubbing wasn't that far in Lauren's past.

"You want to come, Tori?" Chantal asked, her eyes pleading.

"That's not really my scene." Tori tried to make her excuse sound charming, but it didn't fool her friend.

Chantal gave Tori her signature stern look. "I thought you said you wanted to be adventurous and try new things?"

Good move.

"I just don't think it's a good idea to drink the night before a challenge." Tori said, proud of her comeback. Let Chantal try and get out of that one.

"Two drinks won't hurt anyone." Chantal said as her lower lip dropped in a sad expression. "Let's have fun together one night before the next elimination."

"It's going to be fun," August added. "The ten of us could use a couple drinks as a way to de-stress."

Tori could feel her guard coming down.

She really didn't want to sit at the bar, knowing well that she would be ditched by her friend. Tori didn't blame Chantal either. If Tori wasn't herself then she would ditch too. She didn't dance, karaoke, or flirt. Basically, Tori was the biggest drag on the planet.

Still, she didn't like being the one to tell her friend no. This will be the last night they would all be together. There would be another elimination and another team would leave the house and the competition.

What's the worst that could happen?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro