Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The hissing serpent figure head docked on the English shores pushing the sand away with ease. One nod was all I needed from my chieftain and I jumped off the ship on my Icelandic steed, his strong legs thudded against the sand. My shield tapped against my horses rump, before I galloped up the hill I waited for my fellow men to catch up, many tolting on their Icelandic horses. As we reached the top we stopped, the strong wind bit into our frames. "The air is so fresh here," Ishgar said as he rode next to me.

"It is," Thidrik his father said as he appeared on my other side.

"Keep at a walk," the chieftain yelled. We all nodded and kept behind the sea of shields, Ishgar tried to show off as he rode with no hands, but his father scolded him.

"You're going to fall off."

"No, I am not," he said and pushed a golden braid behind his ear. We came to a stand still on a tall hill. All seemed quiet, a few farmers worked away in their fields while their fires smoked. Our dark haired Chieftain rode up next to us, his long wavy hair blown about in the breeze elegantly, it was littered with silver beads and tapped against the metal that embedded his dark leather armour. His thick beard too was decorated with silver.

"Their keep is under guarded," he said his voice almost a growl.

"So what do we do Ivan?" Thidrik asked, he leant forward in the saddle his elderly eyes meeting the strong eyes of Ivan Bloodstone.

"Hold back for a moment, I am sure there is a side entrance," Ishgar said nudging his steed gently over to get a better view.

"That's still too easy," I said leaning forward and stroking the charcoal fur of my steed. Ivan leant forward in his saddle too and ran a hand over his face.

"You are right there," he said, he sat back in his saddle. "Ishgar, Thyra you go to the right and take half the men, Thidrik and I will take the others." With a simple nod we split off and rode off in our assigned directions.

"When did your father become so bossy?" he asked as we broke into a canter ignoring the orders to walk.

"When he lost my mother," I replied, we slowed down as we came closer to the keep. We weren't alone, there was another clan of Norsemen after the keep. We halted as their leader and two other men joined him, they trotted toward us.

"Looks like you two pups are lost!" Their leader exclaimed. I glanced back at the army.

"I do not care to slay other Danes," Ishgar said. The leaders eyes roamed over me.

"You're Bloodstones daughter aren't you?" he asked. I nodded. As if though we had summoned him my father rode around, he obviously hadn't found a way in.

"Ragnar Ravnsson!" he exclaimed and cantered toward us. "Long time, old friend." He reached his wrist across as Ragnar gripped it in his and firmly squeezed it.

"It has only been three years since we have fought side by side," he said.

"Feels like an eternity," he replied.

"I must say your daughter grew into a fine Shieldmaiden she would make a perfect mate for Ragnar," he said nodding to the young blonde who rode at the first of the army. "Why don't we combine our forces?" He looked at the rest of us, we all roared, nodded and lifted our metal into the air.

"I think that's a yes," my father chuckled. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro