11: No Kid Shall Go Out on Two Consecutive Days

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I awoke early the next morning and threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Honestly, I didn't get much sleep at all. My mind ran through all the possible scenarios that could've caused Ajit to react the way he did, because it sure as hell wasn't because of a video game.

I made my way downstairs to the kitchen. Ajit was nowhere in sight, but Varun sat sitting at the kitchen island on his phone. He didn't see me come in.

"Rage quitting on video games? What is he twelve?" I mocked.

Varun's shoulders jerked up from my voice. I startled him. I walked in front of him, and his shoulders relaxed again. "Just drop it, Tara," Varun said, strictly.

I felt taken aback. I didn't expect that response from Varun.

I looked at him inquisitively, "So, you're not going to tell me what the real reason is?"

He shut his eyes tightly, as if he were incredibly annoyed. "Some things are better left unknown," he said, ominously.

"Cut the crap," I said.

His jaw tightened, "Tara, I don't want to speak about it," he said, harshly.

This wasn't normal. Varun would never act like this. Why was he acting so cold?

"Fine," I said, shortly, turning around, "Protect your lord and savior all that you want, see if I care."

Varun scoffed, "Figures," he said, under his breath.

I snapped back towards him, "What the hell do you mean by that?"

He shrugged as if he had just said the most obvious statement.

I raised my eyebrows, "Say it with your chest Varun, or don't say it all."

He stood up now. His six foot-two frame was now towering over me, making me slightly more intimidated. " I said, figures, you wouldn't care about anyone else but yourself," he spat, nastily.

Ouch. That actually stung.

"Wow... is that what you think?" I said, stepping closer to him. I paused for a moment, "At least I care about myself at the very least."

Yeah, it might've been shitty for me to bring up how he took a punch from Ajit, but words were just spewing out of my mouth. His words hit me like a semi-truck. I attempted to say anything that could hurt just as bad.

Varun shifted his jaw, "No, no, my bad," he said.

My glare softened. He was easing off, and becoming the Varun I knew.

"You don't only care about yourself... you care about that fucker too," he spat.

I felt my stomach twirling and anger overtaking my system. Why was he acting so cruel.

I stepped back, scoffing in shock, "What the hell is your problem?"

I felt tears welling up in my eyes and I hated it. I didn't want to cry, especially right now, especially in front of him. I would look weak. He would feel bad, and just apologize.

I felt my throat strain, but I wouldn't let myself cry. I'm afraid I would lose that battle, though. I faced the ceiling, swallowing hard.

Varun clearly noticed, "Tara..." he said, softly.

I didn't speak because if I did I would break.

"Tara," Varun repeated, stepping closer to me, "I'm—"

"No," I said, calmly. He was about to apologize and that's not what I wanted. Maybe what he was saying was right. Maybe I did care more about myself than others at the end of the day. How could I ever excuse getting back together with the guy who caused my father's death.

"You would never understand, Varun," I said.

His eyes softened and focused on mine.

"I just wanted love that wasn't forced. Real fucking love, Varun. Not this fake family bullshit. And— and, Varun, Ezra was the only person who's ever made me feel like that. Do you know how fucking alone I feel constantly? I don't have anyone, like you do. I don't have a mom I'm close to. I don't have any friends to confide in. My own family doesn't trust me. I-I have no one, but I have him."

Without a second's doubt, Varun wrapped his large arms around me, holding me tightly. His fresh laundry scent was comforting. I rested my head on his chest and could feel his heartbeat thudding against his chest, as if he were running a marathon. His arms were comforting. I would stay in them all day if I could, I longed for it.

That's when reality struck. I couldn't. I immediately urged out his grip and took a step back.

"We can't," I reminded.

I may be delusional, but I could've sworn I saw disappointment flash over Varun's face.

He rubbed his arm, "Right, sorry," he said.

I just awkwardly nodded. Varun went back to the kitchen island chairs and sat down.

Ajit strolled in moments later. I was so glad, he didn't walk in even a minute earlier.

Ajit scowled and scanned my outfit, "Where are you going?" he asked.

Shit, why did I get dressed before I asked him if I could go? I swallowed hard. I was going to meet Ezra. I clearly couldn't say that, though.

"I have that project; we just needed a little more work to finish it," I lied.

I would need a new excuse in the future; clearly this one wouldn't work for much longer.

Ajit stared at me nastily, "The same one?" he asked, mockingly.

I nodded, afraid I might slip up.

Ajit squinted his eyes, keeping his glare focused on me. He was waiting for me to slip up. Why wouldn't he just move on already.

That's when it dawned on me; how could I forget such an essential golden rule.

An Ahuja family golden rule: No kid shall go out on two consecutive days. There must be a gap.

Of course, Ajit found ways around that rule, but for me it seemed more strictly enforced. That was probably why Ajit was being so harsh today.

Maybe I would have to cancel on Ezra. I'm sure he would understand. I couldn't risk Ajit getting suspicious.

"It's Professor Winston's Intro to Business, right?" Varun chimed in.

Ajit immediately glared at Varun. For a moment I was relieved, until I thought about Ajit asking Varun how he knew that.

Varun starred at me, subtly nodding. I didn't realize, he was waiting for an answer. I nodded quickly.

Varun spoke again, "Yeah, him, he's the worst. It's the only class I almost got a B in."

Ajit raised his eyebrows in an amused manner. Varun was a stellar student, so this would be out of character.

Ajit rolled his eyes, "Fine," he muttered. Before I could internally celebrate, he said, "Two hours max."

I'll take what I can get. I wanted to thank Varun, but obviously I couldn't. I looked over at him, and tried thanking him silently. Varun blinked his eyes quickly, letting me know that he understood.

"Varun, give her a ride to wherever she's going," Ajit said.

Uh, did I hear that right? There's no freaking way. Why would he want that? Didn't that go against everything he wanted?

I didn't hide my puzzled expression.

Ajit noticed this, and said, "I would, but my busted fist still fucking stings."

Ah, the consequences of his own actions, how ironic.

Varun simply muttered a "Sure."

I couldn't dwell on the unusualness. I was just happy I was allowed to go.

"So, when do you want to go?" Varun asked.

I scanned around the room. Staying here for too long could be a bad idea. "Uh, now?" I suggested.

Varun immediately stood up. I knew he didn't eat his breakfast, and that was incredibly sweet of him. If Ajit wasn't here, I would insist he did, but Ajit was, and he was acting all sorts of crazy.

I mean allowing me to go today after I went yesterday, and then allowing Varun and I to sit alone in a car together? This was the same guy who had a hissy fit about us joking together? Was he feeling alright? Whatever it was, I needed to get out quick before he changed his mind.

I walked past Varun and Ajit quickly, swinging my backpack over my shoulder. Varun followed behind me.

I slammed the car door shut, and slightly startled Varun. "Okay, there's something seriously wrong with him," I said.

Varun placed his arm over my seat, backing up out of our driveway. "I suppose," Varun muttered.

I just looked over at Varun, silently.

He shot me a look from the corner of his eye, "So, where are you meeting that douche?" he asked.

My face dropped as I straightened up in my seat, feeling taken aback. I knew that he knew I wasn't going to actually work on a project, but his words were so vile.

"I'm meeting Ezra at the Wildflower Cafe," I corrected.

Varun rolled his eyes, "So, you are actually meeting him?" He asked in disbelief.

I stayed silent, rolling my tongue in my mouth.

He made a sharp turn, "Just like that, and he's forgiven?" he asked.

Here we go again. He still wasn't over it, and I didn't want to get lectured again.

"I'm not going through this again," I said, sternly.

He looked like he was having an inner dilemma with himself. He bit the inside of his cheek, and sighed, closing his eyes for a second briefly because he was driving.

My hand fidgeted against my seat. One of Varun's hands was on the wheel and his window was slightly creaked open. The wind was perfectly pushing his hair back. His long eyelashes were fluttering over his golden brown eyes.

I felt myself digging my nails into his seat. I didn't even realize Varun had parked and we were in the parking lot now.

Before I got out, Varun grabbed my hand gently. I felt butterflies immediately erupt in my stomach. He turned to me; his eyes were stern and eerily easy to drown in. I couldn't help but look at his bright red lips.

"He better not give me a reason to fucking obliterate him," his voice rasped.

I swallowed, trying to regain control of my thudding heartbeat.

His hand stayed on mine for a couple of seconds, and I couldn't urge myself to remove it. I snapped myself out of it, and just got out of the car, shutting the door behind. I didn't even look back. I just walked straight forward.

My mind was scattered. There was no way I was falling for Varun, right? I couldn't be.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro