14 | Holiday

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Owen couldn't stop looking at the photos in the magazine. Silbie and Logan kissing. Hugging. Gazing at each other like star-struck lovers.

His chest burned like being stabbed with a hot poker. The thought of her with another man was too much, but how could he blame her? He'd been gone a long time with no guarantee he'd ever return. Plenty of days when he didn't think he would. But, knowing she'd be waiting was what kept him from giving up.

And now he'd lost her.

He ripped the pages from the magazine, crumpled them into a tight ball and threw them, barely missing Dante's head as he and Dad came into the room.

They embraced him, and Owen couldn't keep the tears at bay. He sobbed into his father's chest. "I'm sorry. I swore I wasn't going to cry, but I'm just so glad to see you."

"We're glad to see you too, son."

Owen pulled himself together and pushed away. "Just the two of you?" How stupid. Even knowing Silbie was with another man, he'd clung to the chance she might show up to welcome him home.

Dante sat on the edge of the bed and put his arm around his brother. "Yeah, for now. We decided it'd be too much for the whole clan to visit at the same time. Dad and I will stay a few days, then the rest of the family will come at the end of the week. Silbie won't be able to see you for a while. She's out of the country working on her new film. You can use my phone to call her."

"Not sure I should do that."

Dante cocked his head. "What are you talking about? She's anxious to hear from you."

Owen pointed at the magazine. "Not according to that."

Dante picked up the gossip rag and shook it. "This is bullshit. They're not married."

"You know that for a fact?"

"Logan is her co-star and nothing more," Dad said. "He's a nice young man, but there was no indication of romance between them when she came home last week."

Owen swallowed hard and fought to keep his emotions in order. "She brought him to Parkers Prairie?"

"Not exactly. He arrived a few days after she did. I'm not sure if she was expecting him."

"I don't know, Dad. All those pictures..."

Dante came to his feet. "No. I'm telling you, they're not dating, so stop torturing yourself. She loves you. That hasn't changed."

Owen wanted to believe him, but he knew her better than anyone, and there was true affection in her eyes as she gazed at the man in the photo. Confessing her love for someone else would be the last thing she'd confess to his family. Especially, while he was a hostage. She'd save that news until she saw him.

He pushed the notion from his head. If he didn't, tears might return.

"If you'll excuse me, I think I'll go for coffee. Can I bring the two of you anything?" Dad asked.

"No," Owen said, and Dante shook his head.

Once Dad was gone, Dante turned back to Owen. "He's having a hard time seeing you like this."

"Yeah, I probably look like shit." Owen waited for his brother's usual smart-ass come back, but it didn't happen. Just like he thought, in his absence, everything and everyone had changed.

Dante ran his fingers through his hair, and Owen caught sight of his wedding band. "What the hell? Are you married? To who?"

He stared at his hand for a moment, then raised his head to meet Owen's gaze. "Bea Bennett."

"What the fuck? The woman from the bachelor auction?"

"Yeah."

"Why? I don't understand."

"Long story. Well, more like a short story, but I'll save it for later. For now, we need to focus on you. When did the doctor say you can blow this joint?"

"At least two weeks. Maybe longer."

"Big changes are happening at the office. Hopefully, construction will be finished by the time you get out, and you can pick up where you left off."

"What do you mean, changes?"

"We're opening another office and renovating the old one. We've hired a manager and several more salesmen."

Owen pulled his brows together. Dante had gotten more involved than he expected. "We? I don't remember discussing any of that."

"You're right. But, sales dropped, and the business wasn't doing well, so a new marketing plan was needed. Bea helped with it."

"She bailed us out?"

"You and the business."

"What does that mean?"

"Who do you think funded your rescue?"

Owen's face pinched. He thought the Army had. Now the marriage made perfect sense. "Her?"

"Yeah."

"You married her for money."

"Initially, yes, but I care for her—a little more each day."

"But, you're not in love with her."

"No."

"Well, brother, your good intentions may have been for nothing. I don't want to go back to where I left off. Not by a long shot. I can't listen to people who think the most important thing in life is kitchen countertops. Starry-eyed newlyweds gushing over buying their first house when there's hardly a chance in hell they'll stay together."

"Come on, Owen. You love selling real estate. Once you're on your feet again, the excitement will come back."

He thinned his lips into a tight line. Just as he thought, no one understood that he wasn't the same anymore. And, never would be. "Yeah, you're probably right. What do I know? I'm just a lame ass soldier who managed to get captured by a bunch of village idiots."

"What are you talking about? You stayed behind to make sure everyone was out of that building. You're a fucking hero."

For the past three weeks, the treacherous conditions of filming in the mountains had worn Silbie to a frazzle. If not for Logan's enthusiasm, she might have been depressed. He had the curiosity of a toddler, and it proved contagious. Most of the time. But, not when it came to doing her stunts. Although her contract prevented her from the dangerous ones, she opted out of all of them. However, ask him to clutch a rope and dangle from a helicopter? Yep, right up his alley. Even with a bad back.

And having Maia on board had been the best decision ever. Between her and Logan, Silbie didn't experience homesickness as she had in California.

Due to equipment problems, for the next two days, she and her best buds were free to do as they pleased. It didn't take Logan long to plan every minute, so here they were aboard the Glacier Express enjoying magnificent views traveling from Zermatt to St. Moritz.

Breathtaking didn't begin to describe the scenery. Known as the 'slowest express train in the world' it squeezed its way through narrow valleys, tight curves, numerous tunnels, and over two hundred bridges.

Majestic snow-covered mountains rose into a crystal blue sky. Below, lakes bordered lush valleys. The air, so crisp and clean a person could almost get drunk from just breathing.

Logan unfolded a brochure and pointed to one of the photos. "Y'all will love the Badrutt's Palace Hotel. It has six restaurants, an indoor pool, spa, and butler service, which I requested."

"Let me see that," Maia said. "You booked separate rooms, right?"

"Adjoining. Yours has two twin beds. I have a king just in case y'all are interested in a threesome. Which, I am totally up for."

Silbie rolled her eyes. "Yeah, like that's going to happen."

"I can't wait to shop. For the first time in my life, I have enough money to buy stuff I actually like. See." Maia pointed to one of the color pictures in the pamphlet. "They have boutiques for Prada and Louis Vuitton."

"You know you can buy one of those on Rodeo Drive." Logan shook his head. "However, the three bars inside the nearby Hotel Schweizerhof provides nightlife ranging from tame to rowdy. That's where I plan to fulfill one of my dreams." He broke into laughter.

"Oh, yeah? What would that be?" Maia asked. "Wait. Let me guess. It has something to do with ski bunnies."

"You know me so well."

"Yes, I do," she deadpanned, and yanked the glossy guide away from him, holding it stretched out so he'd have no means to grab at it. "Hey, it says here, the Badrutt is the place where movie stars stay. Maybe we'll see some."

Logan cocked his head, and a smirk bloomed. His muscles bunched under his thermal shirt as he crossed his arms. "Maia, you're so cute." He flipped a finger back and forth between Silbie and himself. "Who do you think you we are? Only two of the biggest stars in Hollywood, that's who."

"Right, but I don't think of y'all that way. Besides, did you read the fine print of the hotel? You have to wear a jacket except when you're in your room."

"Yep. I brought several, and who knows, maybe I'll splurge on some designer crap from one of those fancy shops you mentioned. I'll even let you help pick it out."

Maia straightened. "I'd love that! Maybe I could become your stylist. Choose all of your clothes. I've never dressed a man before. I think it'd be fun."

He wiggled his brows. "I think it'd be funner—if you undressed me."

Maia dismissed him with a wave of her hand, then focused on Silbie. "You're quiet. What's going on?"

"Just making a shopping list. Might as well get some Christmas gifts while I'm here. You know, watches, chocolates, knives. All the stuff the country is famous for."

"I may do some of that myself. We can have it shipped and not have to pack it, right?"

Silbie nodded, then concentrated on her phone again.

Maia nudged her shoulder. "Just how long is your list? You've been glued to that phone forever. What's really going on?"

She sighed and stared out at the passing scenery. "I've been trying to reach Dante to ask about Owen, but he's ignoring me."

Now taking bets on the extent of how Silbie will lose her shit.

Anyone warm up to Logan or nah?

TEASER:  "I think it's clear, if I want to know what's going on, I'll have to take matters into my own hands."

Dundundun

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro