21 | Theories

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Maia dreaded the party, which made this one of the shortest weeks of her life. Now it was time to fulfill her promise to Silbie. Pony up and make nice for the men who'd rescued Owen.

When she arrived at the banquet room, the party was already in full swing. The small band played one lively song after the other, mixing selections of pop, rock, and country, including golden oldies.

Silbie had covered all the bases by inviting cast and crew members so the singles would have plenty of dance partners.

Maia found a spot at a corner table and watched the coyotes circle their prey. Well, not all of them. A couple of guys stood near the doorway in deep conversation. The night was young. No doubt they'd join in before the party ended.

She'd not taken time to introduce herself to any of the available guys because the less interaction she had with a bunch of horny soldiers, the better. That judgey attitude even surprised her. But having her heart broken, provided her with a good dose of skepticism.

She gave herself a mental slap. For one night, why not have a good time? The unattached guys all had smokin' hot bodies. Chiseled features. Biceps the same circumference as her waist. And confidence rolled off of each dude in waves. Yeah, she'd bet they could make a woman scream—or beg—or both.

She tugged at the collar of her dress, then grabbed her second glass of champagne and gulped. She should eat something, and someone needed to adjust the temperature in the room. She closed her eyes and blotted the bead of sweat above her lip.

"Want some company?"

She opened her eyes to find coyote number one smiling like he'd just found a nest of bunnies. She gave him the once over. Dark hair. Blue eyes. Dimples. Daamn.

He pulled out the chair across from her.

"Wait! Don't sit down." She picked up a napkin and swabbed perspiration from her forehead. "I'm running a fever. Probably shouldn't even be here. I'd hate for you to catch whatever I have."

He took a step backward. "Oh, so I guess you don't feel like dancing."

"Not really."

"Okay."

As he walked away, she breathed a sigh of relief. Sorry, Wile E., no chance of extra-curricular activity here. She signaled the waiter for another glass of bubbly. Soldier number two must have seen her summons because he took the drink from the server and made his way toward the dim corner. Great. Just great. She should have told the first guy to spread the word of her fake illness. She couldn't play this game all night. "Thanks for the drink." She gulped a big slug and set the glass down with more force than she intended.

He stuck out his hand. "Hi, I'm Brian..."

She cut him off and launched her rant. "Just so you know, I have this theory about coyotes and shepherds."

He narrowed his eyes and cocked his head.

She waved her hands as if directing a plane onto the runway. "Not really into a coyote hook-up. I hope you understand. Nothing against you personally. I'm sure you're a great guy."

She shook her head so fast she got dizzy. "I mean, Lord Almighty, look at you. You're gorgeous. What's your bicep measurement? Twenty-one—twenty-two?" She swatted the air. "Doesn't matter. I just don't want you to waste your time with me when there are probably a handful women in here dying for a coyote. Especially one as handsome as you."

He looked confused but said nothing.

She finished her drink. "You understand?"

"Sooo, if you're looking for a shepherd? I'm a coyote, what does that make you? A sheep? The Road Runner?"

Oh, brother. She should have stuck with plan A. "Forget all that. I'm not feeling well. If you come too close, you'll probably catch whatever I have." She leaned away. "Thanks for the drink."

Once he was gone, she assessed the situation. Sitting alone wasn't the best choice. She strolled to the end of the bar for another glass of champagne.

Logan sidled up to her. "What the hell, Maia? Where'd you park your broom?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your dress. All black. Buttoned up to your chin. Long sleeves. Damn, girl. Nuns show more skin. You do know this is a party and not a wake—right?"

"Yes. I'm trying not to attract attention."

Someone behind her said, "That's impossible when you're the most beautiful woman in the room."

She turned to face the stranger with the husky voice. She wanted to believe her heart pounded from too much champagne on an empty stomach. When in all likelihood it was the effect of the blue polo shirt stretched taut over his impressive chest. The color, a perfect match to his eyes. Or, the way his starched jeans molded to his legs. Or, perhaps his dazzling smile. Her quick inspection told her everything she needed to know. He was the alpha leader of the pack.

"Oh, you're good."

"I'm serious."

She glanced back at Logan, but he'd abandoned her. Great, just when she needed moral support, he'd left her alone with Wile E. McHottie. "Maybe you've heard I'm not feeling well or someone may have mentioned my theory."

He grinned, and the light reflecting off his teeth practically blinded her. The rest of her body came to attention. Certain parts tingled. Clenched. Pulsed. What was happening to her? What was different about this guy? She didn't know, but she had to get away from him before he whipped out a moral decoder ring.

While she tried to pull herself together, Coyote number one, strolled by and slapped the alpha on the shoulder.

"Hey, dog. Good party, right?"

Maia jerked her head around so fast, she risked whiplash. "Dog?"

"It's a nickname."

She heaved a deep breath. "Perfect. Just perfect."

He stuck out his hand. "My name is Zach. Zach—Shepherd."

She blinked, then blinked again. Oh. My. God. She glanced around the room then zeroed back on him. "Am I being punked?"

"Huh?"

"This is a joke, right? I mean, I told one of your buddies I was interested in a shepherd, so y'all thought this would be hilarious." She rested her arm on the bar and leaned in close. "Well, I have to admit, that was some quick thinking."

Zach scrunched his face. "Not sure what you're referring to, but I have been thinking—about you—ever since you met us at the airport. Just a few minutes ago, I thought of ten different ways I'd like to kiss you."

"Wh—wh—what?"

Before he answered, someone called his name over the loudspeaker. He reached out and took Maia's hand, then kissed it. "Don't go anywhere. As soon as I introduce my team, I'll be back."

Maia couldn't breathe. She released the top button of her dress and struggled to suck in air. What he'd said didn't sound like a pickup line. Was he for real?

She turned her attention to the small stage, where Colonel Granaderos said, "Zach Shepherd was an Army Ranger, 75th regiment. I'm a former Marine, and we like to think we're tough as hell, but the 75th is the best infantry raid force in the US military. As an example, during the Black Hawk Down incident, Rangers ran close to 48 hours. Their training and special operations skill set is more advanced than any other branch of service. They're the toughest you'll ever meet. That's why he's team leader. Come on up here, Zach."

He introduced his men, then finished by thanking Silbie for her generosity. Zach was well-spoken, dedicated, a leader among men, and had a list of ways he wanted to kiss Maia. Her toes curled. She had to get out of here before she made another big mistake.

Silbie eyed Maia pacing the room. "Where'd you get off to? I looked around, and you were gone. You didn't stay long enough to hear the rescue story."

Maia spoke so fast, Silbie couldn't understand what she was trying to tell her. "Slow down. Take a breath."

Maia sat on the edge of the bed and began yoga Ujjayi breathing. Inhale and exhale through the nose, dragging each breath deeper until the repetitions were long and smooth. When she was calm, she spoke again. "The guy who threw Owen over his shoulder and carried him out of that awful place wants to kiss me."

"You're talking about Zach? So you did hear how the mission went?"

"Yeah. Zach Shepherd. And get a load of this, his nickname is Dog. Good Lord, Silbie. He's a shepherd and a coyote. Now what?"

Silbie laughed. "I don't know. Whatta you want to do?"

"Honestly, when they started serving cake, I wanted to smear it all over his naked body and lick it off. What's wrong with me? I need to buy a vibrator or something."

Silbie laughed harder. "Just because you're attracted to the guy doesn't make you a bad person."

"Did you pick up on the words lick his naked body? I had to leave because I can't trust myself around him. I need to be sensible. I live in California. He lives in Texas. Why start something that will end with my heart broken. Did I not learn anything from the whole Dante incident? For all I know, Zach has a girlfriend. Actually, I'm sure he does. No way a guy like him can be available. I need to avoid him." She stood and ran her hands down her dress. "Good talk. I knew I could depend on you to set me straight."

"I had nothing to do with it. You set yourself straight. I would have gone a different direction."

Maia frowned. "Really?"

"Yep. My advice would have been to fuck his brains out."

Maia gasped. "That does not sound like you!"

Silbie shrugged. "One of us should be getting routinely laid. I guess I'm projecting my frustration. Jolene took the Colonel to her place. Logan hooked up with Liz. And you found your shepherd. I'm the only one in the bunch who is actually in love, and I'm doomed to spend another night alone."

Maia stopped short. "Liz, the makeup artist from your new movie?"

"Yes."

"You know, I really thought Owen might accept the invitation for tonight."

Silbie shook her head. "I knew he wouldn't. Dante says I should just show up and force Owen to see me, but I can't do that. At least not until he's ready. Am I crazy for wanting him to want me?"

"Absolutely not. We just need to come up with a plan."

"Believe me, I've been racking my brain for an idea. But short of taking him hostage again, tying him to a bed, and having my way with him, I don't see that happening. Maia? Did you hear me?"

Maia snapped out of her trance. "Sorry. I was picturing Zach tied to a bed. You know what? You're right. I should fuck his brains out. At least this time I know what to expect. Day after tomorrow, he's leaving, and I'll never see him again. No emotional ties. No chance of a broken heart."

Looks like everyones finding their match ;P

TEASER: "You lay a hand on her, and it will be the last thing you do."

UH OH. Whose talking?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro