48 - Zone Jumper - @IDreamOfFiction - Space Exploration

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Zone Jumper

By IDreamOfFiction

They thought we were crazy; zone jumping was dangerous work. It was the way she earned money. Today would be like any other day except for one thing: she would have a passenger with her. The port was just up ahead, both cargo and her guest were waiting. It had always been this way for her, seeking adventure.

The flowers were blooming on her planet and she wanted to go for a walk. Stepping outside her parent's prefab, she hiked up a hill along the river and among the trees. There on the other side were some beautiful yellow flowers called spring bringers. Ever since humans had arrived on this planet, they had used the flower to judge the season change. All she had to do was cross the river to get one. Up ahead a tree had fallen across the river. Instead of backtracking she moved up and climbed onto the tree, balancing herself and then moved across.

Turning around, flower in hand, she walked back down the Mountain and could see her mom standing at the door. "What do you think you were doing?" Ops busted; mom always worried she would hurt herself. "Susan, remember I do not want to have to bury you like your father."

"Transport Three proceed to dock 1138" Transport Three copies moving to dock 1138. The sound from the twin engines receded as she moved the throttles back and then cut the fuel. Climbing down the short ladder connecting the cockpit with the cargo bay of the rectangular craft she moved to the back and hit a switch. The sound of hydraulics filled the air as the cargo ramp began to lower. Waiting outside was the cargo, spare parts for a peanut oil power generator. Her guest was also there. As she had come in to dock, her guest had not been able to sit still and had been walking back and forth between the dock entry way and where the cargo pallet was.

You look worried already, we have not left the planet yet.

It's just that your mom cares about your safety.

Mom; what are you not telling me?

I may have inquired where this cargo is going.

It's fine, nothing's going to happen, we just fly in and drop off the cargo and leave. If we get lucky, they may even unload it for us. I'll be right back, have to go sign for the cargo.

I think I will wait under one of the wings in the shade.

You could get in where it's cooler and sit in the jump seat or co-pilot seat on the right of the cockpit.

The inside was painted gray and emergency handles and boxes were red. Siting in the co-pilot seat she looked around her daughter's cockpit. There were gauges and two screens, one in front of the pilot's seat and one in front of hers. They appeared to display the same information which was display on a transparent piece of screen above the dashboard so you did not have to look down constantly.

Comfortable in the seat mom?

Yes, when do we go?

Right now, the cargo is already loaded.

This is Transport Three, ready for departure.

Affirmative Transport Three you are cleared to depart.

The transport left the ground and began to drift to the right once they had cleared the dock. Adding a little power, the transport stopped drifting and began to climb. The oxygen gauge looked normal, temperature read normal and fuel was three quarters full. Moments after she pointed the nose up and increased power they both began to float in their seats only held in position by their harnesses.

I heard it was cold at the outpost we're going to.

Zone Two is special, you need cold weather gear.

Wait, I'm not dressed for that.

I have gear for deserts and cold places below us in the utility room. It also serves as a dressing room if you need to change. I should have something that could fit you if we need to get out.

Why is it called Zone Two?

Planets are divided into zones to help with navigation. Normally you would say Planet 38b, Zone Two, but this one is well known and people know what you are talking about if you say Zone Two.

Ah, that means it has a reputation. What has made it so well known?

Oh, just that the weather conditions besides being cold have caused the death of several pilots. That was caused by poor visibility, cross winds and sudden temperature drops. Zone jumpers do not travel to safe ports, they call us when the delivery is dangerous.

The planet came into view as they arrived in orbit. It just looked like one big white blanket covered the whole planet.

Here comes the fun part.

Ah, why is there a yellow light on the board between us?

Which one?

E54

Great, do not worry we should be fine.

What is the fun part? Or do I want to know?

Just that it looks like we're in for an instrument only approach.

Could have gone without knowing that.

The gravity caused them to no longer float as they neared their destination. The light went off along with several others that had been showing green. There was a sudden motion to the right. A buzzer began to sound. The red emergency lighting turned on after a moment of darkness enveloped the cockpit.

You said we would be fine!

The backup systems have us covered if anything happens, nothing to worry about. Ah oh, that's not good.

What?!!

The engines need to restart, but for that the blades need to be still.

So, more fun than usual?

You could say that. There looks to be a place on the side of that mountain to set down and it looks to be on the shielded side from the wind, so the blades can come to a complete stop while shielded from the wind.

The approach was easier than expected as the mountain was larger than it appeared at a distance. Using the shadow of the mountain the wind gauge dropped to zero. She could finally see where they could touch down. It looked to be a small circular outcropping. There was no way to tell if it was level.

Without the wind there was slightly improved visibility allowing her to use her landing camera. When the nose gear made contact with the snow, she felt it slide a little. The attitude gauge showed negative. Great, we're pointed downhill, because this spot isn't level. Another gauge showed the rpms of the blades decreasing. What else has failed?

It appeared to be only that one circuit. The light for the fuel pump and the backup had went off because of the power failure and were now back on. "Ah, Susan we're moving."

At first it was a glacial slide and then the trees at the bottom of the mountain began getting closer at a faster rate. There appeared however to be another outcropping ahead of them; she grinned. It curved upward and was clear of any obstacle, however they could be buried under the snow.

Please tell me you're not thinking of doing what I think you're thinking of doing.

We'll be fine.

You've said that before.

Hey, we're still alive. Besides this ship has an ejection capsule that is this cockpit if we need it. Just strap in, and maybe close your eyes until we're airborne.

Please tell me, the engines are running again.

Ah

Not the answer I want, young lady.

Here we go!

Without the engines restarted they would not be able to reach pad 42. That would have required them to fly into the wind. All that was left to do was find a place to set down and wait out the storm.

There looked to be a circular clearing coming up. The problem was that it was coming up too fast. "Found us a place to land yet?" Working on it.

The next spot appeared to be a rectangular opening and they were flying parallel to the longer width direction of the opening. The landing camera still was whited out. She had to hold the stick back to maintain some positive attitude on the nose of the craft, with her right hand, to prevent them from hitting too hard. Reaching down with left hand, she opened the cover on the nose thruster's panel. The speed they were traveling was in excess of the recommended landing speed. Technically meant for maneuvering in space, the forward pointing ones would be able to help them land.

As the clearing approached, glancing over from the terrain radar display, her mom had her eyes closed and was gripping the sides of the seat. Panic mode engaged.

Exhaling, she decreased speed and fired the first thruster. There was a shaking as two different forces acted on the craft. The speedometer showed a noticeable decrease in speed, now to hold it.

The back skids touched first with a jolt. Now that they were below the tree line she could visually stir and that was a reassuring thing, up ahead there appeared to be the tip of what could be a rock buried under the show. It was off to the right, she slightly angled left and cleared it.

Coming to a stop several dozen feet before the tree line, she let out a breath. The howl of the wind started to die down. Don't tell me, now the storm is over!

You can open your eyes now.

We landed?

Yes, this wasn't bad.

What do you mean this wasn't bad?

Could have been buried under snow.

What?!!

Oops shouldn't have said that. There was this one time I was making a delivery to another zone and the hill next to the landing pad gave way and snow came sliding down the hill. It didn't completely bury the craft, just enough that I couldn't open the cargo doors or the hatch on the port side. It was nice and warm inside so I didn't mind waiting for people to emerge from the nearby structures. Now to fix that fuse!

The fix was painfully easy. The fuse had blown and the smell of burnt electronics filled the air around it. With it replaced, she headed back up the ladder from the cargo hold to the cockpit.

There were several relieved faces waiting for them, someone said "welcome to Zone Two".

Looking back at the mountain she could see it puncturing a hole through the clouds. The snow crunched under her feet as she returned to the ship.

Got the paperwork? I don't want to come back here.

I got it, what you don't want to go on another flight with me and see the galaxy?

She could tell by the playful smile that her daughter was messing with her and knew the answer to the question she just asked. After this flight I've seen enough. I'm content seeing you when you drop by, however your father would be begging to come on another trip. Can we leave? I want to go home where I can't see my breath.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro