[ 015 ] The Barn

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I stood next to Dale as Lori scolded Carl. Earlier, I had been helping Dale clean up the R.V., Carl came in and said that Rick sent him to get a walkie. Turns out, he stole a gun.

"How the hell did this happen?" Lori asked as she took the gun from Carl, putting it in the waistband of her pants.

"It's my fault. I let him into the R.V. He said he wanted a walkie, that you sent him for one." Dale took the blame.

"So on top of everything else, he lied."

"He want's to learn how to shoot. He asked me to teach him." Shane spoke up. "Now it's none of my business, but I'm happy to do it. It's your call."

"I'm not comfortable with it." Lori said. "Don't make me out to be the unreasonable one here. Rick?" She turned to her husband.

I was starting to feel a little awkward, the only reason I'm here is because I was in the R.V. with Dale when Carl got the gun.

"I know. I have my concerns too, but--" Rick started.

"There's no but. He was just shot. He's just back on his feet and he wants a gun?" Lori argued.

"Better than him being afraid of 'em." Rick countered. "There are guns in camp for a reason. He should learn to handle them safely."

"I don't want my kid walking around with a gun."

"But how can you defend that? You can't let him go around without protection."

Lori and Rick kept going back and forth. Carl insisted that he knew the gun wasn't a toy, Rick suggested that Shane teaches him. Lori finally agreed.

"Rick?" I called out from behind him. He turned around, giving me his full attention.

"Can I uh-- come to the gun training?" I bit the inside of my cheek. I want to learn how to use a gun, so I can protect myself and the camp, just like Carl said.

I don't know if I would be able to do it or if I was ready, but I wanted to try.

"Yeah." He said, nodding his head and motioning for me to follow him.

I followed him to the cars as everyone got ready. I'm gonna take this gun training seriously, and I'm not gonna be like how I was back in Atlanta. I have to learn to adapt.

-

Gunshots rang through the air as everyone hit their targets. I watched the glass bottles on the fence shatter one by one. It seemed like everyone was getting the hang of using their gun.

Me though? I couldn't fire the bullet anywhere near the bottle.

This was a really humbling experience. I didn't expect to be amazing my first try, but I wasn't expecting this. This was so embarrassing, everyone else was doing good while I was struggling to even keep the gun steady.

Andrea was the best out of all of us, she'd fired three bullets into the O of a sign that said 'no trespassing'. She'd even got to use a heavier gun, and she hit another target with it.

I huffed, lowering my gun. I had ran out of bullets and the green glass bottle still stood on the fence, unscathed.

"Not doing so well?" Shane approached me.

"No." I sighed, handing the gun over to him.

"Maybe you're just not ready. We'll find something else for you, yeah?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure." I said, my tone laced with disappointment.

-

Carol and I exited the R.V. when we heard Shane and Andrea return.

"Anything?" Carol asked.

"Not today." Shane replied.

"I'm so sorry. We'll cover more ground tomorrow." Andrea reassured.

"What happened out there?" Dale questioned.

"Um, I--"

"Place was overrun." Shane answered for Andrea. Dale looked over to me with an awkward expression on his face.

"Let's go get you cleaned up." Carol guided Andrea to the R.V. Dale and I stood as we watched Shane walk away. Dale went after him and I went back to the R.V.

I was cleaning some cups when Dale came back in. I looked at him, wondering why he was giving me that look earlier.

"Something's off with Shane." He spoke.

"What do you mean?" I asked, putting down the mug I was washing.

"He-- he doesn't tell the truth." Dale stuttered.

"Okay, Dale, you're gonna have to give me more context." I put my hand on my hip, giving him my full attention.

"He lies-- he isn't truthful--" Dale tried to get me to understand.

"How though?" I asked, still not understanding what he was trying to say. "I think Shane's a nice guy. He protects our group."

"He's not who you think he is." Dale turned and left the R.V. Leaving me confused.

-

I still thought about what Dale said yesterday as I ate my food. I eyed Shane, wondering if what Dale said about him being untruthful was true.

He noticed me looking at him and we made eye contact. I quickly looked away, continuing to eat my food.

"Um, guys." Glenn spoke as he awkwardly stood in front of the group. Everyone continued to eat their food but still listened to him.

"So... The barn's full of walkers."

I looked up from my plate and looked at Glenn. Our eyes met and he nodded.

"What?" Rick asked, a confused look on his face.

"There's walkers in the barn." Glenn repeated.

"Show us." Shane said.

We all followed Glenn as he walked towards the barn. Glenn stopped at the front of the barn, turning around to look at us. Shane stepped up and walked to the barn doors, looking inside through the gap in between.

He backed away and began to walk towards us, anger in his steps.

"You cannot tell me you're all right with this." He walked past Rick.

"No, I'm not. But we're guests here. This isn't our land." Rick reasoned.

"This is our lives, man!" Shane argued.

"Lower your voice." Glenn pleaded.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug." Andrea said.

"It ain't right. Not remotely. We've gotta go in there, we've gotta make things right or we just have to go." Shane said to Rick.

"And go where?" I spoke up, I didn't like the idea of leaving this farm. It's safe here.

"Fort Benning is still an option." Shane responded.

"We can't go." Rick stated.

"Why, Rick? Why?"

"Because my daughter's still out there." Carol spoke up.

Shane dragged his hands down his face in frustration. "Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just-- consider the other possibility."

"We're not leaving Sophia behind." Rick stood his ground.

"I'm close to findin' this girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago." Daryl stepped up.

"You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll." Shane mocked.

"You don't know what the hell you're talkin' about!" Daryl yelled, approaching Shane but was stopped by Rick.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said. You get a good lead-- it's in the first 48 hours." Shane yelled over everyone, trying to get his point across.

"Shane, stop." Rick urged.

"Lemme tell you something else, man. If she was alive out there-- and saw you coming-- all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction!" Shane yelled, pointing behind him. This caused Daryl to charge at him. Once again, he was held back by Rick.

Everyone was shouting-- trying to stop the fight and separate everyone from each other. I eased Carol as she grew anxious from the idea of Sophia being dead.

Once everyone calmed down, Shane began to walk away.

"Now, just let me talk to Hershel. Let me figure it out." Rick called out to Shane.

"What are you gonna figure out?!" Shane was yelling again, turning his body towards Rick. Lori stepped up, making sure he didn't get any closer to her husband.

"If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn, I have to talk him into it. This is his land." Rick spat.

"Hershel sees those things in there as people--" Dale spoke up. "sick people-- his wife, his-- his stepson."

"You knew?" Rick questioned.

"Yesterday I talked to Hershel."

"And you waited the night?" Shane asked.

"I thought we could survive one more night. We did. I was waiting till this morning to say something, but Glenn wanted to be the one."

"The man is crazy, Rick. If Hershel thinks those things are alive or--" Shane and Rick began to argue again.

With all the yelling, the walkers inside the barn heard us. They began to pound against the door, making the chains rattle which caught our attention.

"Dammit." Shane said, bringing his hands to his head.

"I'll talk to Hershel." Rick insisted.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro