20. T Part II

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"So?" Mickey paused, his gaze fixated on Emily. She pursed her lips, her mind anticipating the interrogation. "What's up with you today?"

Emily met Mickey's gaze, her eyes studying their surroundings. She had predicted this moment, the conversation with Mickey, and it had been a matter of time. "What's up with me today?" she repeated, her voice soft. A gentle breeze swept by past them.

Mickey chuckled. "I mean, you're not always the life of the party, but you seem a bit gloomy today." Emily feigned a hurt expression. "Gloomy? Me?" She turned to Mickey, her gaze meeting his. They walked side by side, their steps falling in sync. Emily detached point of view from the present such that she was a third invisible person, hovering over them. From her vantage point above the jacaranda trees, Emily observed their interaction. With this perspective, she could unabashedly admire Mickey's features. "I'm hurt," she continued, "I thought I was the sunshine in your life."

Mickey playfully tsked. "That's not much of an answer."

Emily shrugged, her expression guarded. "I'm just doing a lot of thinking."

Mickey raised an eyebrow. "About what?"

Emily hesitated, her gaze drifting away. "Nothing you need to worry about."

Mickey sighed lightly. "That's not really an answer."

Emily tried to smile sweetly, masking the sting in her words. "Just thoughts, Mickey. Don't worry about it." To Emily's relief, Mickey dropped the subject, the conversation tapering off. He made a few calls and the duo met up with Oliver at around noon.

Emily found herself lured into Oliver's wild idea of exploring the town's stream's source. Emily had never been, and neither had Mickey. Along with them were two of Oliver's friends, Zack and Blue. Blue exuded a bubbly energy, her clothing a warm shade of orange. Zack remained quiet, offering occasional grunts and judgmental looks. Emily felt a strange familiarity with Zack, even though she couldn't pinpoint why.

After navigating through shrubs and thickets, they stumbled upon a grassy clearing that led to a lively river. Oliver's excitement was palpable as he dashed towards it.

"Take off your shoes if you hate them getting wet," Mickey suggested. Emily nodded in agreement, removing her shoes and tucking her socks inside. She rolled up her sweatpants and picked up her shoes by the laces. They followed Oliver's path across the river until they reached a group of large rocks upstream. Under the patchy shade of wildflowers and bushes, they set up camp.

Emily surveyed her surroundings, ensuring she didn't sit on a trail of ants. She despised insects, not merely for existing, but for the necessity of their existence. As Oliver struggled out of his jeans and dove into the river, Zach lit a joint, and Blue snapped photos of the scene.

"This place is amazing," Emily commented, taking in the scenery. Mickey had discarded his jacket, resting his elbows on his knees as he stared at the sky.

"It really is," he agreed, a smile gracing his lips. His bare feet wiggled in the daylight. Emily inhaled deeply, feeling a sense of calm. Amid all the potential obstacles, nothing could deprive her of the right to embrace life and its beauty. The scene before her was achingly beautiful. The water caressing the grey rocks, transitioning into greenery and ancient trees against the backdrop of a summer sky.

Emily partook in the joint, despite her mental reservations from the previous night. She reminded herself that she could quit whenever she chose and took another deep puff.

Oliver returned from the river, his grin infectious. Water droplets clung to his body, and his hair was damp and unruly.

"Why aren't you guys getting in?" Emily squinted at him, a carefree smile playing on her lips. Happiness could be derived from the simplest things. Emily chuckled to herself, finding contentment in watching her friend enjoy the mundane. His heart was full, making everything inconsequential. Emily believed that nothing should matter. She slipped out of the thicket, throwing her pink sweatshirt over her head. Stripped down to mismatched underwear, she made her way to the rock beneath the waterfall, watching the water descend gracefully.

Emily suddenly came to a realization. Countless potential futures lay before her. Yet, it wasn't her duty to predict any of them. For now, she would bask in the sun's warmth, laugh at life's absurdities, and find solace in the present moment. Tomorrow might seem bleak, an unchanging cycle, but Emily had already touched oblivion before she could fathom her own existence. She would be okay.

Suddenly, cold hands touched her back, prompting Emily to shriek. She turned to find Mickey giggling beside her. Joining in, she realized that Oliver was daring them to jump into the water below.

"Still lost in thought?" Mickey asked, his voice gentle. He playfully flicked water with his feet.

"This time it's good thinking," Emily replied with a grin. "I've finally figured things out."

"You're faded."

"I wish I could stay like this forever," Emily confessed, her tone turning slightly wistful. "But that's okay. It just means I have to savor every second." Mickey reached for Emily's left hand.

"You know I'm here for you, right?" Emily nodded. "I'm your friend, even if it seems like you forget that sometimes."

"I do?"

"Yeah," Mickey gazed past Emily in contemplation. "It's almost like you're uncomfortable admitting we're friends." Emily's jaw dropped, surprised by his observation. Mickey was undeniably the coolest person she knew, and the thought of being his friend was a privilege she couldn't fathom rejecting.

"I'm sorry that you felt that way," Emily sighed, her heart hoping Mickey didn't perceive her as a burden. It would mean that Mr. Greene was right, and Mickey would at one point, cut ties with her. "You mean a lot to me."

"I'm glad to hear that," Mickey stepped back, a reassuring smile on his lips. "Whatever you're dealing with, we'll figure it out." Emily nodded, a genuine smile lighting up her face. She watched as Mickey counted to three before leaping into the water with exuberance.

"Truth or truth?" Blue's question pulled Emily's attention. Blue's sleeves were damp from the water.

Emily gave her a puzzled look.

"It's like truth or dare, but just truth," Blue explained, angling her camera toward the boys as they resurfaced from the water.

"Truth..." Emily replied cautiously, unsure where the conversation was headed.

"Do you like Mouse?"

Emily scoffed, waving her arms dismissively. She observed Mickey playfully wrestling with Oliver. The notion of liking Mickey seemed implausible, especially considering the looming shadow of her potential involvement in a murder case. The thought of Mickey discovering her dark secret made her doubt if he'd ever talk to her again.

Zack tapped Emily on the shoulder, breaking her reverie. "Don't let her get into your head." He tugged her arm towards the bank.

"You were at the pool thingy." Emily's brain had suddenly made the connection. "Hi."

"Wanna be a kid again and make mud cakes with me?" Emily nodded to Zach's suggestion.

They walked along the water's edge, the soft sound of flowing water accompanying their conversation. Emily stole a final glance at Mickey, catching him already looking at her. She forced a smile and waved.

Emily's chest swelled with hope. Perhaps, in the grand scheme of things, a butterfly's flutter in the Amazon forest could change destinies, sparing Emily from the clutches of a murder case.

•|•

A/N
I'm hoping to going to the usual posting word count after the coming interlude which was 2k+ words. I just hope to finish before the start of my new semester this fall. Thank you so much for sticking by.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro