33 • Lioness and her cub •

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"What are you saying, Prathuman?" Ijaz was stunned by this development.

"Now, he is done for."- He roared through the phone. Prathuman had to part the receiver a little from his ear, - "How dare he talk to you with disrespect? Why didn't you shoot him right away? That—I can't even curse him. He is my first-born son, after all. Prathuman, I am truly ashamed, my friend." His voice softened towards the end.

The first thing Prathuman did upon his return to haveli was call Ijaz, and he poured out everything with graphic details. After the call, he fell back against the long back chair. A suffocating silence filled the study. He opened his eyes and picked up the photo frame with Anahita's photograph in it. There were four photo frames on his table, with three out of four being of his daughter.

"Why did you behave this way, my child? Haven't I loved you enough? I always prioritized you and—how to prove to you I care?" He blinked back his tears, admiring the photograph and reminiscing about their past. A knock at the door startled him. He sniffed and quickly wiped his tears, placing the photo frame back.

Prathuman cleared his throat, - "Come in." He placed his hands on the arm-rest. Leela walked in with a cup and saucer in her hand.

He tried best put up a brave face and not leave any remanent of his tears. Men don't cry.

"Darjeeling tea with cardamom and ginger. Your favourite, and it will calm you." Leela smiled, placing it on the table. Then she looked at him and frowned.

"Don't think much. If someone doesn't value you. Let go of the toxic relationship." She suggested sweetly.

Prathuman sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, - "Am I such a terrible father? Both my daughters betrayed me. I had more expectations from Anahita and she did worse."

"Ji, it is not your fault." She stroked his shoulders, - "Look at Gagan and Naman, aren't they fine boys? It is never the father's fault. His duty is to financially provide for his family and take care of their needs, which you have done perfectly, darling. The mother handles the child's upbringing. But Iravati—I think she was more bothered about her kitty parties, and showing off among her friends than training her girls. The result is in front of you. Now, it seems like it is too late." She paused, - "These photographs I found in your youngest daughter's room." She pulled out the first drawer and took some photographs.

Prathuman's eyes widened as he checked the photographs of his daughter in a long skirt, blouse and posing with Asif in one room of Khan Haveli. He glanced at his wife, - "Leela, these are just casual photographs. They know each other since childhood, and maybe they became friends over the time." He said calmly.

Leela took a deep breath, - "Then, what were these doing under her pillow?" She lied with a straight face. In actuality, she had found them in her study table drawers. Prathuman looked down and inhaled deeply.

"No."- He shook his head. - "This is just casual. Other than that, I don't know what you are trying to imply." He pushed back his chair and rose. Just then, Iravati hurried in and tagging behind her was an equally flushed and worried looking Dhani.

"Where is my daughter? Did you find her and why did you go with a gun?" She bombarded him with questions in quick successions. Dhani animatedly nodded her head.

Leela asked Dhani to leave. She bravely stood her ground, and this heavily offended the new Malkin.

"I want to know where she is. Is she safe?" Dhani pleaded to Prathuman. He looked at her and gave a firm nod.

"She is at the Khan Haveli and you need not know more than this." He whisked his hand to dismiss her. Dhani bowed a little and walked out, shutting the door behind her.

"Khan Haveli."- Iravati mouthed. Her heart raced as she looked at her husband, - "What is she doing there? Why didn't you get her back? And the gun?"

Prathuman clenched his hands behind him, controlling his urge to lash out at his wife's irresponsibility.

"You are asking me when it was your responsibility?" He spoke through gritted teeth.

Iravati gulped softly, - "I know, but I didn't know she would do something like this. I was thinking of her well-being and—"

Before she could complete, Prathuman had slapped her across her face. She fell to her side. Leela gasped loudly, placing a hand over her mouth and the other on her chest. In twenty-three years of their marriage, this was the first time he had gotten physical with his wife. He clasped his hurting palm and kept glaring at her.

"I should have dumped you at your parent's home that day, when Ambika broke my trust. This would not have happened. Iravati, till now in my eyes you were most respected, but now, you have fallen out of my grace. Instead of accepting your fault, you are casually dismissing it and trying to justify? It is all your fault. Like I said before, if Anahita was not willing to marry Daamodar, why were you forcing her?"

Iravati straightened, her face stung and with pain ringing in her ears, she spoke, - "Then, what else? Should I force her to marry Manyata's son who is double her age? The person, your loving wife is desperate to get my child married to? I wanted her to be settled before—some people are plotting hard to ruin her life and I won't let it happen." She glanced angrily at Leela.

Leela panicked, but before she could defend herself, Prathuman replied, - "Abhaiveer might be double her age and—"

"There is more than a decade difference between them." Iravati angrily cut him off, tears streaming down her eyes.

"So, do we? And even more with Leela. Everything is fine between us."

"Nothing is fine."- Iravati raised her voice, - "If we had compatibility, then this discussion would not be happening now and—"–she glared at Leela, - "I don't want my daughter to compromise like some greedy people."

Leela's mouth hung open. Prathuman raised his hand again, - "Dare you speak against her."

But this time, Iravati grabbed his hand. The shocked couple looked on.

"This was the first and last time you raised your hand on me. Don't forget my father's connection to the ministry in Delhi. They will strip you of everything." She jerked his hand away, - "and yes, it would have been better if you had dumped me at my Maayka. You would have seen your place then itself."

She took a deep breath, - "I have been tolerating long enough doesn't mean I am weak or helpless. I am a lioness to protect my daughter. I won't let anyone ruin her life." Iravati swished her Pallu and pointed a finger warningly at him.

"Don't you dare raise your hand on me or my daughter again?" She pushed back at her shoulder, straightening in her place. Then, threw a stare at a visibly flabbergasted Leela. Hopefully, she got an idea as well. Iravati turned and haughtily walked out of the room without bothering to cover her bruised face.

Anahita lost track of time, she spent crying in the room or submerged in bath tub's cold water. Yet the feeling of tightness in her chest and the bitterness in her guts won't go away. The stress induced headache was the cherry on the cake. She pulled herself out of the water, got dressed in a nightdress and stepped out of the bathroom. As she braided her hair into a second piggy tail, she walked towards the window and glanced down.

As expected Asif was, sitting on the steel chair, smoking and going through some papers. Anahita turned around and wore her night robe. She readied to leave when she noticed a paper lying at the door-steps.

If you need to talk, I am in the back garden, and Nausheen is in her room. We both are there to listen to you. Don't be disheartened.

I love you

She liked how his confession made her only slightly happy, but not giddy or over the top. The negative feeling of being cheated by her father was over-powering. She placed the letter under the pillow and silently walked out. It startled Anahita to find Suraiya at her door, sleeping with her back pressed against the wall and her head leaning to the side. Her legs pulled in and a shawl covered her figure. She felt pity for the poor girl. It was obviously Asif's idea to keep her here in case she needed something.

Anahita stepped out of the mansion and immediately felt the breeze hit her. After a cold shower, it affected her differently. She shivered a little, then wound her arms around herself and walked towards him.

The sound of her anklet caught his attention. She noticed him stiffen and then swiftly turn around. Looking at her, he rose from his seat while extinguishing his cigarette in the ashtray on the round table.

"Anahita!"- He walked to her and held her shoulders. Anahita lowered her head. She had thought her tears had dried up, yet she felt her eyes tearing up. She sniffed, blinking rapidly.

"I am—fin—fine." She blinked at him to assure him she was fine. But glistening eyes and stammering gave her away.

Pal bhar thehar jaao
Dil ye sambhal jaaye
Kaise tumhe roka karu

Meri taraf aata har gam phisal jaaye
Aakhon mein tumko bharu
Bin bole baaten tumse karu

Agar tum saath ho

Agar tum saath ho

Asif says nothing that will upset her. Instead, he guided her to the chair, and they sat together. She smiled tight lipped at him, looked away and quickly wiped her tears with the back of her fingers.

"Here." He passed her a pashmina shawl from the empty third chair. She muttered a thanks and felt comforted by the warmth of the fabric.

"What were you doing?" She wiped the tip of her nose with the shawl, - "Oh, sorry!" Embarrassed, she looked around for a tissue.

"It is okay." He gently tapped her knee, - "Relax!"- He paused, glancing at the papers on the table, - "I was going through these case papers."

"Hmm. You didn't sleep. It is what, eleven in the night."

"So didn't you." He replied softly. Anahita leaned against the chair, resting her hands on the armrest.

"Everything that happened today has disturbed you, thinking about you I couldn't sleep." Asif sighed, - "I don't know if it's an appropriate time to ask you but—I am worried about your safety now."

Anahita didn't reply, she kept staring at the moonless night.

"Anahita, your father was raging mad. I fear he will react even more violently if we tell him about us. But we have to."- He paused, leaning towards her and observed her, - "Um, Anahita. What have you thought about—us?"

She turned her head to look at him. Even in such a tumultuous time, she admired his handsomeness. Just by looking at his face, she could feel her nerves calming down a little.

"What is there to think?" She shrugged.

Asif licked his lips, - "Will you—marry me?"

Hum tum kitane paas hai
kitane duur hain chaand sitaare
Sach poochho to maan ko jhoothe lagate hain yeh saare

Magar saccche lagate hai
Yeh Dharti yeh nadiyaa, yeh rainaa aur?
Aur tum mm

He Proposed!!!!

Iravati, Anahita and Anaisha... 

How was the Chapter, my sweeties? Drop your thoughts in the comments, please. What do you all think is going to happen next? Please don't forget to vote *_*

Stay Tuned for the next update, my lovelies *Lots of Love* *Hugs and Kisses*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro