37 • Marriage Plans •

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Anahita was waiting for Asif to return from work. He walked through the main door, called for water, and sat down on the couch in the living room. Anahita watched him as he removed his shoes, loosened his tie. She walked towards him. Before she could lash out at him, she noticed the strained lines on his forehead. Asif relaxed his back against the sofa and sighed, then opened his eyes.

"Anahita!" He exclaimed, straightening. Instantly, his face lit as he smiled at her.

"How was things at court?" She asked in a gentle tone and sat beside him, leaving a decent gap between them.

"Hmm, tiring. But there is a lot to learn." He rested again, closing his eyes. Anahita observed him until Raza Chacha got a glass of water. He asked to her as well, but she refused.

After Asif had relaxed, Anahita spoke, - "Asif, Mother had come. She was requesting me to return."

He nodded thoughtfully, - "So, what have you decided? Is it safe?"

"When are we getting married?" She blurted instead.

"What?" Asif straightened, giving her a puzzled look.

Anahita rolled her eyes, - "Mother wants me to get married. Your Badi Ammi and Dadi are coming to fix your alliance. Where are we in this, Asif?" Tears brimmed in her eyes and her voice shook towards the end.

"What?" Startled, Asif looked away, thought for a moment and looked back, - "I remember telling them to drop their plans of getting me married to Husna." He caressed his chin, - "Who told you this?"

"Nausheen."

Asif's expressions relaxed, - "Arey! She knows nothing. Just assumes things. Anahita, relax. Okay?"

"So, what are your plans for our marriage? As soon as possible. That will end all of our problems." Anahita folded her arms.

Asif exhaled deeply, - "Don't hurry things, Anahita. Before we decide to get married, we need to discuss the obvious."

"Mother says we won't work. Do you think the same?" She was about to cry now.

"We can work and we will. But I don't want you to regret later. I want you to be sure."

"I am sure. That is why I am with you, fighting with my family." She angrily wiped her tears.

"Okay, Anahita. Calm down. I have thought of it and even spoken to senior advocates. We will marry through a special marriage act."

Anahita stopped crying and moved away her hands, - "You mean court marriage?"

Asif nodded.

"But no one will accept that."

"The government will. We will be legally married. This is the only way you can be Anahita Agarwal and I, be Asif Khan, and we will be recognized as a married couple. But the process is long. We have to register now. My acquaintances might help us speed up the process by giving us priority."

Anahita sighed, - "But I wanted to marry you in the traditional way. Be your bride. I imagined getting married with both our customs. Wouldn't that be great? This will be—dry?"

"Urgently, this is the way. The traditional way can wait. Besides, it cannot be registered legally in either Hindu Marriage act or Muslim Marriage act. Both have to belong to the same religion. That is why the government has recently introduced the Special Marriage Act."

He noticed her fallen face and spoke in a cheery tone, - "Okay, I will talk to the Pandit from the nearby Mandir. If he gets us married there. Then, we will have to search for a Maulvi. That will be tough. But neither can be registered."

Then, Asif got up, and Anahita stood as well, - "Now, get ready. I am going to start your driving classes." He faked sternness.

"Are you not tried?"

"The moment I saw you and the thought about us getting married soon has recharged me."

Anahita smiled, looking away.

Sainya dil men ana re

Ake fir na jaana re 
Chham chhama chhamachham

Raaja banake ana re

Mohe leke jaana re 

Chham chhama chhamachham

-Bahar (1954)

The roads of Jaipur, with its chaos, were hard for Anahita to mauver. In front of the Hawa-Mahal, she almost dashed into a cart, driven by a young street urchin carrying vegetables. Luckily, Asif was swift with the steering. He had taught her the basics, making her trial run on the deserted roads near the Khan Haveli. She was good there, but in the traffic of the tongas, cars, people gliding across the roads, vendors, children, rickshaws, it was tough. After the almost crash, she covered her face and cried, shaking her head. Asif coaxed her for a while, then suggested he took her for a ride.

He drove her to Chandali Lake. The scenic beauty and the wind in her hair lifted her mood. They just drove from the outside. He made sure she could get a glimpse of the birds and the lake from far. He parked the car at a safe distance from the crowd. Anahita knew very well, if anyone caught them then it will be a scandalous. Society doesn't see a woman from a decent family to be roaming around with a stranger in a good light.

"After we are married, we will come here every day to watch the birds and the sunset." Asif commented, and Anahita smiled shyly. She imagined the future and felt contented. The more she thought about it, the more impatient she got.

It elated Anahita to be dressed as a traditional Marwari bride, just how she had always wanted. Nausheen, her best friend, was beside her. The girls who grew up together as best of friends were going to be related. What more could Anahita had wanted? She got everything she dreamt of- everything for her was the man she was so madly in love with. The man she adored, respected, wanted, and loved.

Pleased, Iravati and Prathuman gave their blessings. Eventually, convinced of the couple's love. Her mother was a tough nut to crack, but her father readily agreed because Ijaz was his dear friend and he had known Asif practically since he was born. Leela was miserable and that satisfied Anahita.

The mandap was decorated with flowers giving out a flowery scent and fragrance of incense sticks lingered. Smoke from the havan fire filled her senses, making her feel excited. With the pandit sat a man in traditional black Kurtha and dhoti, with a padgi on his head. He moved aside the strings threaded with jasmine petals from his face and grinned at her until dimples appeared on his cheeks.

Anahita lowered her head under the veil. That was the lighter shade of her red lehenga. She was supposed to be the shy bride, who needed support to be carried till the mandap. Also, she wasn't allowed to open her eyes and grin like a fool; even though all she wanted to do was dance till her husband to be, or at least smile at him.

Nausheen and Iravati made her sit next to Asif. She felt him fidget, quickening her pulse at the thought of his restlessness. She, too, was eager to be done with the rituals and be his wife. Yet, she wanted to savour every moment.

The ceremony began. Anahita kept her head lowered and eyes closed throughout. For the pheras, Asif gave his hand, but Nausheen slapped his hand away, giggling and teasing him. Anahita shut her eyes tightly, a shy smile playing on her lips. After the ladies helped her stand. Iravati guided her hand to place the jaimala into his neck. Anahita suppressed her smile and her desire to look up; into his eyes.

Then, during the pheras, she kept her head down and followed behind her groom. She watched his feet as she walked behind him. While she passed him to stand in front, Asif purposefully brushed his hand against her. Anahita controlled her reflexes.

Soon, she was made to sit, and her shoulder brushed against his, making her feel goosebumps. A moment later, Anahita felt her veil shift, and she promptly shut her eyes. A delicate female's hand push aside her borla matha-patti. Anahita's breathing quickened and she could feel her pulse in her ears. Slowly, she opened her eyes and looked at the man next to her. Their gaze met. His smiling face comforted her. Carefully, as much as he could see through the veil, Asif filled her hair-parting with generous sindoor. Yet, some sprinkled on her nose. Reflexively, he moved his other hand, but she held his hand.

"It is supposed to be lucky." She murmured and then shyly let go of his hand. Her cheeks flushed, matching the colour of her sindoor.

She had been staying in his room, but tonight as she was guided inside, Anahita knew she could faint out of nervousness. Teasing women around her were not of any help. The room had an aromatic fragrance of white rose incense. The flowery smell from the bed decorations added to the feeling of being in a garden. Anahita lifted her lehenga and sat down on his bed. Shyly, she played with the gotta patti work of her dupatta. Her heart beat was steady until she heard the clicking of the door. Reflexively, she moved her hand to her veil.

In the room's silence, her bridal lac bangles tinkled together. She paused mid-way as the door opened. She pulled the dupatta and clasped her hands tightly.

The door shut and with the approaching foot-steps her breath was caught in her chest. Then, she felt a weight next to her. The intoxicating and strong perfume of his ittar relaxed her nerves a bit. He was so close to her that she felt giddy. Anahita closed eyes once again, as he gently lifted the veil.

"MashaAllah! Today I have more than I could have ever wish for. Right now, I feel like the luckiest man." He tenderly held her hand and kissed her knuckles. Anahita drew in a breath, her muscles tensing for a second before she relaxed.

"Open your eyes, my love, see we are married now."

Tears stung her eyes; tears of happiness, of relief. Slowly, Anahita opened her eyes. Asif worried seeing tears in her eyes, he moved his hand and held a drop of tear that fell from her eyes, unto his index finger.

"No, my dear!" He shook his head, cradled her face, and placed a kiss on her forehead. Anahita let out a quivering breath. Asif requested for a smile, as he had a surprise for her. She was excited but kept a neutral expression. A good bride needs to be composed and timid- Anahita had learned from her elders.

Asif had something in a velvet bag. Her eyes widened upon seeing a beautiful jewellery set.

"It must be costly." She exclaimed.

He smiled, tilting his head. With his eyes on his wife, he spoke - "But you are priceless."- Asif brought the neckpiece in front of her, - "May I?" He gestured her. Anahita lowered her head and nodded. He shifted closer, and she clenched her knees tightly as he removed the dupatta from her head. Anahita flinched, feeling his fingertips over her back as he pushed aside her braided hair.

The necklace looked beautiful on her. It was his choice, after all; she thought whilst admiring her reflection in the oval-shaped mirror he held for her.

"Divine." She turned her head and found their faces inches apart. He was behind her, with his arms around her, holding the mirror in front of her. Anahita blushed, looking away. Asif placed the mirror on the bedside table and leaned into her ear.

"I love you, Anahita. Now and forever." He kissed her ear-lobe, and she shivered, feeling a tingly feeling all over her body.

"I love you too." She turned, and out of shyness, hid her face in his chest.

Anahita always loved the comfort of his presence, and now feeling the raw warmth of his body made her feel weak in her knees. The time stood still as the affectionate touches of hands, skin, mouth fogged her brain. She felt the warmth of his sturdy form. The pounding of their hearts muffled all the other sounds from their surroundings. The fluttering sensations in her chest intensified, distracted by the bitter-sweet moment of their union, culminating into an euphoric climax.

The satisfied feeling of completeness filled Anahita as she cuddled with the love of her life- her husband. She shifted closer to Asif, listening to his heart-beat. As she closed her eyes, she could feel the jolt of dopamine rush through her veins, giving her a tranquil feeling.

Yaaay! Shaadi!!!

The Anaisha-Hasan moment *_* 

I wonder what Anahita Devi thought while watching them... she had hit Anaisha with her walking stick ;)

How was the Chapter, my lovelies? Drop your thoughts in the comments, please, and don't forget to vote. Stay Tuned for the next update *Lots of Love* *Hugs and Kisses*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro